Is Shawshank Redemption best movie of all time ?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1179 Posts

No. I hardly remember Shawshank Redemption. But I would say Life of Pi and the original Manchurian Candidate are better. Alien is also better. The list goes on.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

No.

Other than the IMDB crowd, "many people" don't think Shawshank is the best film of all time.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

many people say Shawshank Redemption is best movie of all time, do you agree OT? Or which movie is best movie of all time and better than Shawshank Redemption according to your opinion ?

Personally i enjoyed the movie very much and its certainly within TOP 10 under drama category.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I liked it but I don't think it's the best movie of all time. My personal favorites are: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Seven Samurai Memories of Murder
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Nope.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

It was a great movie, but best of all time? That's highly debate-able

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Far from it
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

I thought the common census was that Citizen Kane was the best movie of all time. I don't agree with either of those ideals however.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

No but I think its up there. 

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#11 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

It really would depend on who you were asking, everone has a different answer

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

No but I think its up there. 

Gibsonsg527
Going to go with this answer. I'm thinking something like Godfather Part 2 takes the title, but it's a question I'd have to think about for a while.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
Well it's my favourite film. That doesn't make it the best ever though as it's just my opinion.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

No it's a good movie but I wouldn't call it the best of movies.....

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.Aljosa23

It's a great film: great for its genre, and great outside of that. But it is not the best film ever made. Too many films exist that are more relevant and better constructed.

200+ post thread incoming

Very few will be from me. I've seen the movie too many times to count. It's unlikely that something someone says will change my opinion given that, and I won't waste my breath trying to convince others in the opposite position on its merits but the same position on their certainty. I did feel the need to explicitly state my disagreement though.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.kuraimen
The characters showed great instances of altruism.

What you are implying is absurd. The heroes of LOTR acted out of rational self-interest. It is a story about personal responsibility. Frodo took the responsibility of destroying the ring to save the Shire. He saved the Shire out of his love for it, not out of someone else's love. He was by no means an altruist. The altruists in LOTR are the orc slaves who lived for the sake of Sauron, their master, rather than for the sake of finding happiness in life on this Earth.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.Laihendi

What you are implying is absurd. The heroes of LOTR acted out of rational self-interest. It is a story about personal responsibility. Frodo took the responsibility of destroying the ring to save the Shire. He saved the Shire out of his love for it, not out of someone else's love. He was by no means an altruist. The altruists in LOTR are the orc slaves who lived for the sake of Sauron, their master, rather than for the sake of finding happiness in life on this Earth.

Yes, rational self-interest like launching a suicide attack on the enemy on the off-chance it buys this one guy, who you don't even know is still alive, time enough to do what he needs to do. Of course, you're the guy who doesn't understand the themes in To Kill A Mockingbird, so...
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

It might be the best movie of all time in your opinion.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.Laihendi

The only movie that I ever teared up in was the lord of the rings, when everyone bowed to the hobbits.  I don't see them as seperate movies, I see them as one giant masterpiece in three pieces.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 m0zart

Rational self-interest doesn't involve sacrificing yourself for the good of others which is a major theme in LoTR. There isn't a lot of self interest in being dead.Ace6301

I don't disagree with you that this concept might be lacking in this film. But how Laihendi described it is indeed how Rand described it over and over again in most of her literature and public appearances. One of the areas where it was more explicitly dealt with was in a discussion between Howard Roark and Gail Wynand while on a ferry in New York City. Wynand brings up the same question and shows some confusion on the subject. Roark makes the point that if Wynand fell off the boat, his esteem of Wynand and enjoyment of his friendship would be enough motivation to risk saving his life by jumping off the boat and attempting to save him. Wynand is even more confused at that point, presumably because he sees it as contradicting Roark's overall philosophy. Roark tries to clear that up by saying that while he might risk his life and possibly die for him in some circumstances, he would never "live" for him.

Rand didn't define altruism or selfishness in the way that is generally used by the population. She did this with a lot of terms, because she felt that the opposition often attempts to rob words of their meaning, or pollute them to be too general. She felt that those who win the war of the dictionary are those who win the war, so part of her tactic was to try to reclaim words she felt were misapplied in that way. That's why she always said things like "abortion is pro-life", because she felt that pro-lifers robbed the word of its real meaning (of course, pro-lifers would say the same thing about the broad "pro-choice" label, and in many cases rightly so).

There may be some inconsistency in the way Rand defined it, but basically selfishness is "of the self". Without the self, you can't have interest. Interest is generated from the self. That doesn't mean it is only interested in the self. A healthy "self" has meaningful relationships with others that add considerable value and make some risks worth taking. So looking at it from Frodo's perspective -- he loved the Shire. He saw life as he knew and loved it coming to an end without some form of intervention. Doing nothing would mean it was lost completely, for him and for those he loved and had meaningful relationships with. So his motivation to prevent the loss was high. He had some personal satisfaction and enjoyment from the fact that the Shire would live on.

From Rand's POV, altruism would be something of another sort. He would have to have made sacrifices for people he didn't know or care about, even people he could call enemies. Let's say he decided to give up the Shire for the sake of the Orcs: "Let them have it. It will be my good deed for the day to let them have something, and who knows if it wasn't theirs to begin with. Maybe we took it away from them in some distant past." That would be altruism from Rand's perspective.

Again, Rand can't claim to be completely consistent (nobody can, but as Rand demanded it, it's particularly obvious when she fails). So there are bound to be holes in the way she saw selfishness, and frankly we might never know for the sake of the aforementioned attempts to reclaim the language, something she considered essential to any philosophical treatise, whether formal or informal.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
honestly, i could do without it. the whole thing is filled cutesy but irrelevant catchphrases like "Get busy living, or get busy dying" meant to be taken with complete seriousness and smug satisfaction.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Rational self-interest doesn't involve sacrificing yourself for the good of others which is a major theme in LoTR. There isn't a lot of self interest in being dead.m0zart

I don't disagree with you that this concept might be lacking in this film. But how Laihendi described it is indeed how Rand described it over and over again in most of her literature and public appearances. One of the areas where it was more explicitly dealt with was in a discussion between Howard Roark and Gail Wynand while on a ferry in New York City. Wynand brings up the same question and shows some confusion on the subject. Roark makes the point that if Wynand fell off the boat, his esteem of Wynand and enjoyment of his friendship would be enough motivation to risk saving his life by jumping off the boat and attempting to save him. Wynand is even more confused at that point, presumably because he sees it as contradicting Roark's overall philosophy. Roark tries to clear that up by saying that while he might risk his life and possibly die for him in some circumstances, he would never "live" for him.

Rand didn't define altruism or selfishness in the way that is generally used by the population. She did this with a lot of terms, because she felt that the opposition often attempts to rob words of their meaning, or pollute them to be too general. She felt that those who win the war of the dictionary are those who win the war, so part of her tactic was to try to reclaim words she felt were misapplied in that way. That's why she always said things like "abortion is pro-life", because she felt that pro-lifers robbed the word of its real meaning (of course, pro-lifers would say the same thing about the broad "pro-choice" label, and in many cases rightly so).

There may be some inconsistency in the way Rand defined it, but basically selfishness is "of the self". Without the self, you can't have interest. Interest is generated from the self. That doesn't mean it is only interested in the self. A healthy "self" has meaningful relationships with others that add considerable value and make some risks worth taking. So looking at it from Frodo's perspective -- he loved the Shire. He saw life as he knew and loved it coming to an end without some form of intervention. Doing nothing would mean it was lost completely, for him and for those he loved and had meaningful relationships with. So his motivation to prevent the loss was high. He had some personal satisfaction and enjoyment from the fact that the Shire would live on.

From Rand's POV, altruism would be something of another sort. He would have to have made sacrifices for people he didn't know or care about, even people he could call enemies. Let's say he decided to give up the Shire for the sake of the Orcs: "Let them have it. It will be my good deed for the day to let them have something, and who knows if it wasn't theirs to begin with. Maybe we took it away from them in some distant past." That would be altruism from Rand's perspective.

Again, Rand can't claim to be completely consistent (nobody can, but as Rand demanded it, it's particularly obvious when she fails). So there are bound to be holes in the way she saw selfishness, and frankly we might never know for the sake of the aforementioned attempts to reclaim the language, something she considered essential to any philosophical treatise, whether formal or informal.

I'm aware of how Rand means it. I just can't say I care what Rand thought because for the most part it was garbage. Also the Orcs aren't really altruistic under Rand's ideas anyway since they don't do thing for the good of others they do what they do because destruction is literally the only thing they're capable of. But I'm not sure how much that is really touched on so perhaps he just doesn't understand that part about Orcs.
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
LOTR return of the king is
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Rational self-interest doesn't involve sacrificing yourself for the good of others which is a major theme in LoTR. There isn't a lot of self interest in being dead.m0zart

I am in complete agreement with this post, except Ayn Rand was not inconsistent. Other than that minor detail this is a great post.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 m0zart

Also the Orcs aren't really altruistic under Rand's ideas anyway since they don't do thing for the good of others they do what they do because destruction is literally the only thing they're capable of. But I'm not sure how much that is really touched on so perhaps he just doesn't understand that part about Orcs. Ace6301

I am not suggesting that the Orcs were altruistic (though there is some hint of that at least from Rand's perspective, simply due to the fact that the live and operate in a worker-bee sort of colony and submit themselves to a structure that requires them to be treated as meaningless brute force).

I was stating that Frodo giving up everything for the Orcs would have been an act of unquestionable altruism from Rand's perspective. In the same vein, she was asked once why she would spend any money to save her husband if her husband was taken ill and the money would be a considerable sacrifice. She said her husband is a high value in her life, and so within certain boundaries of reason, giving the money to save him is an act that benefits her as much as him. She values him more than the money and what it buys. However, she pointed out that if someone expected her to let her own husband die so she could save her neighbor's husband with that same money, that's altruism.

Anyway my purpose isn't to defend Rand. I am relatively sure Tolkien didn't intend even an once of Rand's definitions or values to reflect in his book, which is more of a tale about his own life and feelings after the effects of the wars he experienced took away part of his own ability to enjoy the pleasures of life.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Also the Orcs aren't really altruistic under Rand's ideas anyway since they don't do thing for the good of others they do what they do because destruction is literally the only thing they're capable of. But I'm not sure how much that is really touched on so perhaps he just doesn't understand that part about Orcs. m0zart

I am not suggesting that the Orcs were altruistic (though there is some hint of that at least from Rand's perspective, simply due to the fact that the live and operate in a worker-bee sort of colony and submit themselves to a structure that requires them to be treated as meaningless brute force).

I was stating that Frodo giving up everything for the Orcs would have been an act of unquestionable altruism from Rand's perspective. In the same vein, she was asked once why she would spend any money to save her husband if her husband was taken ill and the money would be a considerable sacrifice. She said her husband is a high value in her life, and so within certain boundaries of reason, giving the money to save him is an act that benefits her as much as him. She values him more than the money and what it buys. However, she pointed out that if someone expected her to let her own husband die so she could save her neighbor's husband with that same money, that's altruism.

Anyway my purpose isn't to defend Rand. I am relatively sure Tolkien didn't intend even an once of Rand's definitions or values to reflect in his book, which is more of a tale about his own life and feelings after the effects of the wars he experienced took away part of his own ability to enjoy the pleasures of life.

I know you weren't saying the orcs are altruists, that was Lai. Rand's ideas just really aren't worth applying to things other than her books to me which is why I ignored the Frodo comment. They really are largely ideas that require a world set around them to function and without that they generally just come off as ridiculous misconceptions about human nature and actions. Side comment on how it's kind of creepy to assign a value to human lives.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 indzman

Far from itthemajormayor

I hope you don't think 2001: a Space Odyssey best movie of all time :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
No, Ghostbusters is
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
No, Ghostbusters isNuck81
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

It is one of them, but I would not deem it THE BEST.  

my top 10 off the  top of my head (not necessarily in order) are:

1. The Departed
  2. Shawshank Redemption
  3. My Cousin Vinny
  4. Anger Management
  5. Nothing To Lose
  6. Taken (1)
  7. Gran Torino

Ok so maybed I cant quite hit 10 :P.   I know I could if I could remember all the movies I saw hahah.  Slingblade might be up there.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
Me personal fave
my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts
Three Men and a Little Lady is the best film ever made
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts
There is no best anything when the human opinion is a factor.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No, it's a good  movie. not best of all time

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#35 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's a fantastic movie, but I wouldn't call it best ever. 2001: A Space Odyssey should get that title, imho. 

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Alien Resurrection
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

no it's not, i really liked the movie though. my top 5:
Blade Runner
Spun
Mysterious Skin
The Thing
Total Recall (original)

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

It's a solid film, but I don't think it would ever come close to cracking a mental top 100 of mine anytime in the future. 

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Far from itindzman

..... why not? :(
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor

It's a solid film, but I don't think it would ever come close to cracking a mental top 100 of mine anytime in the future. 

Lord_Daemon
same
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Alien ResurrectionBrutal_Elitegs

Oh god, what a piece of garbage

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
it's not anywhere near the best film it's not particularly good, can't see it cracking my top 2000
DharmaMember77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DharmaMember77
Member since 2010 • 2377 Posts

No but on the other hand I don't think any other film shows what a "quality" film should be quite like Shawshank.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 m0zart

It's a very good film. But it's not the greatest of all time. Not even close.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 m0zart

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Far from itindzman

It's easily in the top 10.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]Far from itm0zart

Haven't seen it yet :P on my must see list tho lol.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
It's a great film, but not my favorite.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'd say so. It's an absolutely great movie. 

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
It's one of my favorites, but I wouldn't say it's the best of all time.
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts

[QUOTE="indzman"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]Far from itm0zart

No way. Absolutely no way. The ending was so open ended and there was nothing unique about the plot from today's standards.