Is it bad to be anti-social?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
I'd say I'm sort of anti-social. Out of school I just like to stay home and do things on my own. School is enough of a social life for me. I'm 15 and I've barely had anybody over in 3 years. Not even for birthdays. It's just the way I am and I'm completely fine with it.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
[QUOTE="LightR"]I'd say I'm sort of anti-social. Out of school I just like to stay home and do things on my own. School is enough of a social life for me. I'm 15 and I've barely had anybody over in 3 years. Not even for birthdays. It's just the way I am and I'm completely fine with it.

Exactly same for me.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

No, i don't think it is..some people have low self confidence and self esteem..so talking to others is always stressful..some people over analyze themselves and critique every word they said to another...besides the fact that you'll be lonely most of the time...it's not that bad..unless your just being anti social to be a jerk...:P

vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

Anti-social doesn't have the same definition when actually used in psychology.

But to actually answer your question, it isn't necessarily bad. All throughout high school I was pretty much a loner, there were some classes where I wouldn't really say a word. But I figured out as the years went by that this wasn't working and I tried a bit harder to talk more, it also didn't help when some of the people I knew were trying to help me as well >_>. Now that I'm in college, I don't really have a choice, especially when you have roommates. So now i'm way more talkative then ever. Except when meeting new people, then I'll retreat back into my shell.

I just think its something you have to work on.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
It shouldn't matter if you're dead since you wont know that no one came to your funeral or no one had any fond memories of you to remember you by thus keeping your memory alive even after your dead. You will never know that and no one else will care.
Avatar image for modestkraut1291
modestkraut1291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 modestkraut1291
Member since 2009 • 763 Posts

it weighs heavily on the mind i can tell you that

Avatar image for modestkraut1291
modestkraut1291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 modestkraut1291
Member since 2009 • 763 Posts

Nope, Daria taught us that it can be hilariously awesome.

StripTheSoul

ultimate kudos for you sir

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
Yes it sucks
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

a study came out not that long ago that said that a large percentage of menare at their most content when they are on their own. it's part of our nature, i think.

if you are alone all the time at the exclusion of forging genuine connections with people, then i would say that it is a problem. but enjoying time by yourelf isn't an issue.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

The Others are giving great advice but ask yourself this and think long and hard about it.

Think about your future. The friends you have WILL come and go. When you get older, it is much harder to make time for making new fresh friends. Even if you hang out now, in the present, dont you think the bond will grow between you, and say, a friend, or family member, or a love if you open up to them just a little more? Even if its just small talk, or always being there to lend a ear for someone in need. Not much good can come from being non social other than not having to worry about people stabbing you in the back.It will pay off in the end to give a little more effort towards being open to people

Im not a solo person per say, but I am quiet indeed. People, especially the girls we hang around are always asking me, why am I so quiet and I tell them each time. Im not sad, or angry but Im content with being quiet. I dont mind being by myself because as a kid waiting for his single dad to come home(R.I.P) I got used to it. I still make the effort though to make small talk or general conversations when I see an opportunity to talk about a worthwhile thing. Im a real good listener too which a good part about being the quiet type.

Still though, Try a little more to be open. It will help in the long run, with people and even things like securing a job.

kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 kulmiye
Member since 2004 • 12094 Posts
My family sometimes call me antisocial. Going by the actual definition, I am in no shape or form an antisocial person. I'm simply an introvert and a loner. In some ways I grew into this deposition whereas in others I choose it. There are negatives and positives to both sides of the coins. In my case it was the lack of social skills that were my downfall. Especially after I finished High school and had intended to secure a job with no experience in any working fields in this current economic climate.Luckily for me, I was aware of this and was able to make changes to be able to bring up the courage to speak to strangers and become more assertive when needing things. I still have a long way to go in terms of confidence and self esteem but with time I hope to improve my chances with my general social life and this doesn't necessarily mean acquiring a bunch of new random friends but increase the number of close friends from the current one. I also want that job too. Now even I'm wondering why I literally told the condensed version of my life story on an internet forum but when I think about it I come to the conclusion that you will gain some insight from other people's advice and anecdotes and final decision on where you stand in your life... (Why am I writing this?) :P
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Yes, it's bad because anti-social individuals are generally hostile and unfriendly to others.

Many people tend to be misinformed on what anti-social behavior is and is not. Because the prefix anti comes before the word social, many people seem to believe that it is simply a person who does not socialize with others. Obviously that's not the case. Anti-social individuals are generally hostile and threatening to others, not just merely unsociable.

Avatar image for deactivated-58188738395f3
deactivated-58188738395f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-58188738395f3
Member since 2008 • 1161 Posts

Good and bad are pretty much subjective. And I believe that we are all greedy and anti-social to some degree. So being anti-social to a degree is just human nature.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
It seems sad, but maybe some people are happier being unsociable.
Avatar image for HomicidalCherry
HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 HomicidalCherry
Member since 2009 • 959 Posts

In general, yes. I can't speak for everyone, but through my own experiences (and observations of others), I would say that loneliness is frequently coupled with unhappiness.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
If you're okay with being anti-social and if it doesn't cause you or anyone else any stress, then it's fine. Some people are okay with that, but others aren't. If you aren't okay with it, then I guess you could say that it's bad.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
Even though im 15, i frequently see myself as an old man kind of attitude if that makes sense. I look at others in school and see how all of their meaningless drama will not matter for anything 20 years down the road.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
no
HydraRizlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 HydraRizlim
Member since 2009 • 1110 Posts

It isn't.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#71 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i'm a loner i like it that way.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts

I have most of those symptoms on wikipedia :cry: am I a sociopath!?

• Persistentlyingor stealing-not the stealing part but lying most of the time
  • Superficial charm[4][5]yep I have that to
  • Apparent lack ofremorse[4]orempathy; inability to care about hurting others have that too I care about my family and friends that's about it
  • Inability to keep jobs or stay in school. I'm still in school
  • Impulsivity and/or recklessness Impulsiveness
  • Inability to make or keep friends, or maintain relationships such as marriage Yep I haven't been married yet
  • Poor behavioral controls — expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper
  • Narcissism, elevated self-appraisal or a sense of extremeentitlement
  • A persistent agitated or depressed feeling (dysphoria)
  • A history of childhoodconduct disorder
  • Inability to tolerate boredom

I have all these WHAT DO!?!?

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

another thing. One reason why my uncle is crazy right now is because he avoid soicial interactions with others. Staying in the house for 4 years and I guess he started talking to himself, making deals with himself and now he hears voices and believe the government is after him with radiowaves.

Bottomline is , being non-social isnt a healthy thing.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I have most of those symptoms on wikipedia :cry: am I a sociopath!?

I have all these WHAT DO!?!?

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

quit worrying about that and listen to this song.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ7ZvxXvn90

one of the best

no need to screw your head up

Avatar image for PsychoRedFox666
PsychoRedFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 PsychoRedFox666
Member since 2007 • 2081 Posts

Anti-Social, as in being a sociopath? That can be dangerous at times.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Humans are social creatures, so yeah.

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 joao_22990
Member since 2007 • 2230 Posts
The hell, of course not. Being an introvert is one of the best things that ever happened to me.
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

If you just like avoiding contact people no, buy if you begin acting erratically yeah.

Avatar image for deactivated-58188738395f3
deactivated-58188738395f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-58188738395f3
Member since 2008 • 1161 Posts

Anti-Social, as in being a sociopath? That can be dangerous at times.PsychoRedFox666

I believe we're all little sociopaths on the inside. We all have our antisocial instincts. We're just wearing masks and trying to hide those instincts.

suz437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 suz437
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts

Well, is it?

Gammet25
yes
drumbreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 drumbreak1
Member since 2008 • 1316 Posts

You would not be on a forum if you were truly anti-social. The only reason psychiatrists/ologists say it is bad to be anti-social is because some people that are have no vent for there emotions and go on shootings and have severe mood disorders. If you are happy and anti-social it's not really bad at all.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#82 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Basically there are several levels of being "anti-social"

Social Anxiety - basically you don't do well in social situations, or feel awkward in them. Fairly harmless

Unsocial - which you guys have been calling non-social, basically you don't make contact w/ people.

For the most part these 2 are fine.

Anti-Social - now there are several different types of anti-social personalities that are basically thrown under the same umbrella. Basically if you're missing a part of your personality you fit under this umbrella. The dangerous ones are the malevolent, and lacking conscious ones since often those are the serial killer types.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

as others have said Anti-Social is bad (the personality disorder by the name), it basicly means that you are a pr*ck to the foundation, you feel no empaty, dont care for any rules, and only look after yourself, the severe cases of these are known under the names "Sociopath and Psychopath"

If you however ment "Introverted" as in not mentally quirky, just not very social, then no it is not bad, infact if you are not a social person it is likely because you thrive more in more isolated social instances. ¤0% more or less of a given population is not the most social people, but forced to due to paranting, and local communities.

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 joao_22990
Member since 2007 • 2230 Posts

You would not be on a forum if you were truly anti-social. The only reason psychiatrists/ologists say it is bad to be anti-social is because some people that are have no vent for there emotions and go on shootings and have severe mood disorders. If you are happy and anti-social it's not really bad at all.

drumbreak1
Just a note, forums reduce human interaction to a bare minimum. Just passing the message. And some times deal with the results. Forums solve a lot of problems people have with eye to eye interaction, for shy people, for example. Also, it is much easier to find like minded individuals in the internet, another reason for the ease of use of forums, either for people who are extroverts, but have problems limiting their reach and ability to socialize, and introverts, to whom is harder finding people worth talking to.
dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#85 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

not at all. i am extremely anti social myself. contributed partially by being autistic. I don't feel i need to be social in order to live a better life.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#86 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Hmmm, I am by no means a non-social person, though I am very reserved person. I tend to chill out all by myself alot and just relax, and I love doing so. BUt I don;t want every minute to be like this, and it isn't. There are people I talk with at my job, and I joined a gaming club at my university, and sometimes shoot some hoops at the basketball court at my university's union building.

While I am by myself alot, I still do get out and meet others . I can't complain.

ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts

If it makes the person than happy, then no, it's just fine.

palomino12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 palomino12345
Member since 2006 • 72 Posts

I have social anxiety, and have become very unsocial. I don't like being this way but it's easier than trying to be social.

So no it's not really that bad unless it's hurting other people.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#89 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts
It's much easier later on in life and through hard times if you aren't anti-social. But otherwise, yeah, it's fine. Nowadays though, most everyone has some form of human interaction, even if it's just reading someone else's work, or talking on a message board to strangers.
perphekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#90 perphekt
Member since 2009 • 1096 Posts
Not harmful. However, being the super social person that i am... anti-social people that sit in a corner and either sulk or literally talk to nobody irritate me.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#91 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

Being anti-social can often lead to behavioral, mood, and personality disorders. How are we defining "anti-social"?

Thorpe89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#92 Thorpe89
Member since 2004 • 16905 Posts

^ Yeah, but if that person is sitting in the corner, on their own, not talking to anyone, then I don't think it should annoy you one bit. Let them be independent...or maybe they just feel unconfident because of the people around them. Try talking to them.

Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#93 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts

You're going to HAVE to be social with people at numerous times in your life, and not being prepared for that is unhealthy, though I wouldn't say being social makes you any more brighter than someone who is antisocial.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Defintely unlles you want to be alone for the rest of your life. You can try to get over it
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#95 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Why would it be? Just do what you want to do.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#96 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

^ Yeah, but if that person is sitting in the corner, on their own, not talking to anyone, then I don't think it should annoy you one bit. Let them be independent...or maybe they just feel unconfident because of the people around them. Try talking to them.

Thorpe89
This is why I asked how we were defining "antisocial". There are times where I feel uncomfortable in a certain group of individuals that I'm not familiar with and may choose not to socialize or be proactive. I wouldn't consider this being "anti-social". I was thinking of a more broad definition, as being someone who seeks seclusion and reclusiveness from people. These types of tendancies are why depression and anxiety medications have replaced Ritalin and Adderall as being the most over-prescrebed in the country.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Well it's probably not a good thing. What good does it do you to stay at home doing nothing?
roleplayer2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#98 roleplayer2004
Member since 2004 • 921 Posts

Anti-Social pretty much means you like to be by yourself and enjoy doing things your own way rather than be a sheep and fall for peer pressure. I'm anti-social even though when I was younger I was the complete opposite. I just got sick and tired of the same trends and all the insecurities people had so I ended up going solo. This is crystal clear for most people in High School as friends are disposable and are only really relevant based on your social status which is bull$*!#. That's why I tend to not socialise that much with friends since a lot of them tend to be fake and really don't care about anyone but themselves. I still like people and socialising but I am not as open as I used to be when I was young since there are a lot of fake people out there.

seb2getatme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 seb2getatme
Member since 2009 • 64 Posts
being social gets you places in life...if your constantly putting people off or hiding in dark corners then your just putting yourself in a bad position...
FunnyMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 FunnyMouth
Member since 2009 • 428 Posts
By bad you mean? It's not "bad" unless you are in a constant social enviroment.