Is D-Day, saving private ryan realistic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slicknet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 slicknet
Member since 2003 • 2627 Posts

I don't know if either are realistic but both Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan rocksLonelynight

This is exactly the point, it rocks. Now the real d-day wouldn't rock, so hence the hollywood influence. Well 100's of films have been made to suit the viewer, but seeing as the d-day was such a big deal, should they have really tried to do this and critics say its the most realistic representation of the d-day landings which is rubbish, what it is is appealing to people through the gore, special effects, action and film stars. I think in reality it would have been much more ordinary, plainer, loads of casulties but not the way SPR portrays it. 3 words, 'money spinner' and 'ego' = speilberg. I suppose thats what movies are about though, having a nice enjoyable time at the ficks, your hardly going to come out of the pictures feeling all hyper if you've just watched a mega realistic version of what actually happened at omaha beach.

So my conclusion is that its to far from reality for my liking.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

This is exactly the point, it rocks. Now the real d-day wouldn't rock, so hence the hollywood influence. Well 100's of films have been made to suit the viewer, but seeing as the d-day was such a big deal, should they have really tried to do this and critics say its the most realistic representation of the d-day landings which is rubbish, what it is is appealing to people through the gore, special effects, action and film stars. I think in reality it would have been much more ordinary, plainer, loads of casulties but not the way SPR portrays it. 3 words, 'money spinner' and 'ego' = speilberg. I suppose thats what movies are about though, having a nice enjoyable time at the ficks, your hardly going to come out of the pictures feeling all hyper if you've just watched a mega realistic version of what actually happened at omaha beach.

So my conclusion is that its to far from reality for my liking.

slicknet

There was plenty of blood and gore at the real DDAY. Film can't begin to do justice to what happens to the human body when it's shot.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#153 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]

IProved? I've already dismissed your vet storys as being subjective nonsense when it comes to what really happened. Now, if you can show me, one pic, ONE picture , showing landingcrafts stacked with dead soldiers and the beach littered with corpses, I'll drop this whole arguement.

LJS9502_basic

Wow.....in all that turmoil I'd be surprised if pictures of the actual event exist. And you can dismiss all you want...that doesn't make you right. VETS plural were consulted making this movie. It's considered the most realistic recreation. By the way....those types of pictures weren't routinely published in that era.

However, I've figured out why you don't want to accept the truth. Europeans in general...though not all...dismiss all the US efforts in WW2. Bias is an ugly thing....

Easy now dude, its the other way around. I've not meet many europeans that talk like jointed, actually he isthe first :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

IProved? I've already dismissed your vet storys as being subjective nonsense when it comes to what really happened. Now, if you can show me, one pic, ONE picture , showing landingcrafts stacked with dead soldiers and the beach littered with corpses, I'll drop this whole arguement.

mimic-Denmark

Wow.....in all that turmoil I'd be surprised if pictures of the actual event exist. And you can dismiss all you want...that doesn't make you right. VETS plural were consulted making this movie. It's considered the most realistic recreation. By the way....those types of pictures weren't routinely published in that era.

However, I've figured out why you don't want to accept the truth. Europeans in general...though not all...dismiss all the US efforts in WW2. Bias is an ugly thing....

Easy now dude, its the other way around. I've not meet many europeans that talk like jointed, actually he isthe first :)

What exactly am I saying?

This has nothing to do with being European or American...

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#155 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

jointed

A lot of BS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

mimic-Denmark

A lot of BS.

I suggest you read what I posted before you, yourself post.

Rath_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Rath_01
Member since 2005 • 1163 Posts
It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.jointed
That is what you said and it was a death trap and the U.S. and the U.K have the casualty numbers from D-day to prove it. But they really didnt have any other way to get a foothold in France but to land troops that way.
buxboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158 buxboy
Member since 2004 • 6940 Posts
I always liked Band of Brothers more than Saving Private Ryan, for the simple fact that it was longer, not too mention the 1-1st Airborne is a bit more interesting to me than the beach landings. Overall, they are both great movies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.Rath_01
That is what you said and it was a death trap and the U.S. and the U.K have the casualty numbers from D-day to prove it. But they really didnt have any other way to get a foothold in France but to land troops that way.

No commander would, the landingcrafts in the movie could easily reach the beach and the bunkers were much closer in the movie. This resulted in the bloodfest we all know..In reality the beach was much longer and the landing crafts came to a halt much further out than what they did in the movie.

But it was still horrific nonetheless.

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

jointed

Just drop it already.

You know just as well as I do that the Germans had the beaches covered and they had no problem firing at the soldiers as they landed. It's not like they gave the Americans a chance to fight back, that's not how war works. The soldiers were being killed as they landed, and no single picture that you post is going to change that.

I don't even know how you expect someone to have a picture of a rough landing. That's just funny.

If you read LJS' link, you'd know that some boats didn't experience that much fire, and most of the soldiers made it to the beach without any trouble.. Then it goes on to talk about some of the boats that landed in front of a heavily fortified german position and only a few people survived the onslaught.

This all comes from people who were actually there. You have a couple of pictures taken by some lucky dude. You have absolutely no experience at all so why don't you just drop it?

You statement about no commander sending his troops to a death trap proves that you don't know what you're talking about. The whole war was a death trap, don't you know how many soldiers died? If the commanders were being logical about everything, not that many people would have died.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts
My fiance's grandfather who is now 94 was first wave at Normandy. He still has his wits about him and he says this movie best depicts what he and fellow soldiers went through on D-Day. He was just interviewed about 2 months ago in DC at the WWII memorial. I'll have to look for a pick on the internet. Its in the Washington Post.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

DeeJayInphinity

Just drop it already.

You know just as well as I do that the Germans had the beaches covered and they had no problem firing at the soldiers as they landed. It's not like they gave the Americans a chance to fight back, that's not how war works. The soldiers were being killed as they landed, and no single picture that you post is going to change that.

I don't even know how you expect someone to have a picture of a rough landing. That's just funny.

If you read LJS' link, you'd know that some boats didn't experience that much fire, and most of the soldiers made it to the beach without any trouble.. Then it goes on to talk about some of the boats that landed in front of a heavily fortified german position and only a few people survived the onslaught.

This all comes from people who were actually there. You have a couple of pictures taken by some lucky dude. You have absolutely no experience at all so why don't you just drop it?

You statement about no commander sending his troops to a death trap proves that you don't know what you're talking about. The whole war was a death trap, don't you know how many soldiers died? If the commanders were being logical about everything, not that many people would have died.

My arguement with LJ today was about Saving Private Ryan's exaggeration. I can't believe you guys still try to argue this. I posted two pictures so you could compare, it's supposed to be the EXACT same event. Is it really that hard to understand?

Of course the Germans fired upon the Americans when they ran up the beach, but the way Saving Private Ryan portrays it is just wrong.

My statement about no commander sending his troops to a deathtrap like that refered to the Beach's geographical formation in the movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#164 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts
Well, the whole d-day seen was making a mountain into an anthill. Only one guy was torn in half, nobody got their jaws bashied into their brains and it took 4-6 hours to get up to the darn people. Also nobody could run with their sand and mud filled backpacks. And the water and sand from the beach jammed almost everyone's rifle.
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 mark4091
Member since 2007 • 3780 Posts
So I guess a picture from two boats, with 1940's quality camera's tells what thousands of soldiers went through jointed?
Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#166 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
My grandfathers best friend began telling me stories of his Omaha beach landing once I got older, before he past. He said SPR was spot on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

So I guess a picture from two boats, with 1940's quality camera's tells what thousands of soldiers went through jointed?mark4091

You're putting words in my mouth....but thousands of soldiers did actually manage to go through, many died though.

xXtheabombXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 xXtheabombXx
Member since 2004 • 775 Posts
I think for the most part it was very realistic. The only thing I find tought to believe is the people being shot underwater. I only don't believe it because of the Mythbusters, but they didn't test under conditions of the landing so it could be real for all I know I wasn't there.
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 mark4091

[QUOTE="mark4091"]So I guess a picture from two boats, with 1940's quality camera's tells what thousands of soldiers went through jointed?jointed

You're putting words in my mouth....but thousands of soldiers did actually manage to go through, many died though.

No, you have made a point of saying that the movie was over exaggerated and that those pictures are you're evidence.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#173 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

NO it did not...

You don't know **** since you weren't there, the only thing we can base our opinion on is the god damn photos...Please just ...stop, the movie DID NOT portray the events accurately at all...Geeze :roll:

jointed

You don't know **** since you weren't there, the only thing we can base our opinion on is the god damn photos...Please just ...stop

Irony, much?

The words of vets who were actually there and who's guidance was seeked to make the movie, trumps your opinion.

Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#174 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts

I choose to side with the people who actually experienced the event, seeing as they're the ones who actually fought the war and were there.

acegunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 acegunslinger
Member since 2004 • 1223 Posts
Jointed, just give up. You're own arguments have already been proven false by vets. Just stop already.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

NO it did not...

You don't know **** since you weren't there, the only thing we can base our opinion on is the god damn photos...Please just ...stop, the movie DID NOT portray the events accurately at all...Geeze :roll:

The_Ish

You don't know **** since you weren't there, the only thing we can base our opinion on is the god damn photos...Please just ...stop

Irony, much?

The words of vets who were actually there and who's guidance was seeked to make the movie, trumps your opinion.

Sorry for my behaviour there, I was getting a little frustrated...

Anyways, me and LJ have already talked about this....He thinks that veteran stories are more reliable than actuall photos, I think not since the opening scene is far from what's seen in the photos of that same event.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Jointed, just give up. You're own arguments have already been proven false by vets. Just stop already.acegunslinger

It's wasn't even me who bumped this :roll:

And no, my arguements have not been proven false by vets, they're rock solid.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 The_Ish

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.jointed

*sigh* Just look at the pictures, I've never claimed to know more than historians or veterans....:roll:

You're acting like a bunch of 12 year olds...

Your statement is in direct contradiction of countless historians, actual survivors, and statistics. Your basically trying to debate history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.The_Ish

*sigh* Just look at the pictures, I've never claimed to know more than historians or veterans....:roll:

You're acting like a bunch of 12 year olds...

Your statement is in direct contradiction of countless historians, actual survivors, and statistics. Your basically trying to debate history.

Noit's not...I've made no statement regarding the reliability of historians and veterans, except that veteran stories are subjective, in which they are.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 The_Ish

Anyways, me and LJ have already talked about this....He thinks that veteran stories are more reliable than actuall photos, I think not since the opening scene is far from what's seen in the photos of that same event.

jointed

Your analysis of the beach landing based on a few photos is not enough evidence that SPR was exaggerating. Statistics, the accounts of actual veterans, and countless credible historians have proved your analysis wrong, and all are in agreement that SPR was spot on. In front of the evidence, your opinion that SPR was exaggerating was wrong.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Ish"][QUOTE="jointed"]

NO it did not...

jointed

Irony, much?

Yes I do think the vets are more reliable....I've given you links stating that your opinion of the event is wrong.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 The_Ish

Noit's not...I've made no statement regarding the reliability of historians and veterans, except that veteran stories are subjective, in which they are.

jointed

So are photos, they are about less than a second in history.

south411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 south411
Member since 2006 • 2136 Posts
watch teh movie : the longest day THATS an accurate movie of DDAY. it shows french resistance, the midnight landings to take over bridges, etc
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#184 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
The problem with that picture showing us the 'real' landing is that we don't know what stage of the battle that was actually at. The picture was one little snap-shot, not really giving as detailed account of the battle. The accounts of veterans are much more valid sources for history, especially if there are more than one or two vets saying the same thing.
L_burna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 L_burna
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts

I'm a WWII veteran and yes, SPR's D-Day scene was almost perfectly realistic.Dark__Link

not to offend you if you really are a veteran, but how old are you?

Hman321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Hman321
Member since 2007 • 1271 Posts

They had tanks on D-day but they didnt show them in the movie.trickmyster13

they did have tanks but not alot they sank before they reach the beach

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 The_Ish

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]I'm a WWII veteran and yes, SPR's D-Day scene was almost perfectly realistic.L_burna

not to offend you if you really are a veteran, but how old are you?

I think he was joking, but he might not be. I can't tell for sure. :?

1ND1FF3R3NT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 1ND1FF3R3NT
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

When it came out, WWII vets were being advised not to watch it, because it is extremely realistic and brought back horrible memories for a lot of them.

seasider666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 seasider666
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

My Grandad Bill was on the third wave on DDay he was in the RN as a Landing Craft overseer (as the craft sped back too the troop ships it was his job to get the young troops deployed on board an ready for the Deadly onslaught ...)he said after seeing the film it was a lil more realistic to many war films that wentbefore .......

He told me the sheer bloody Mess an Murder that morn an the very absolute HORROR an sheer Uselessness of War .....hadnt left his nightmares every night since then ....

1ND1FF3R3NT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 1ND1FF3R3NT
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

My Grandad Bill was on the third wave on DDay he was in the RN as a Landing Craft overseer (as the craft sped back too the troop ships it was his job to get the young troops deployed on board an ready for the Deadly onslaught ...)he said after seeing the film it was a lil more realistic to many war films that wentbefore .......

He told me the sheer bloody Mess an Murder that morn an the very absolute HORROR an sheer Uselessness of War .....hadnt left his nightmares every night since then ....

seasider666

I couldn't help but notice.....do you know how to spell the word 'and'? And why are you capitalizing random words?

Hman321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Hman321
Member since 2007 • 1271 Posts

I'm not arguing against history, I'm debating YOU. My picture proves everything, the battle may have been a though one, but the opnening scene was NOT realistic at all.

you no most of the pictures wherethrow over broad right?

kerrmich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 kerrmich
Member since 2004 • 352 Posts

Sorry of this has already been posted, but I don't really want to read through all the replies.

Here's a thing about d-day i found on youtub: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SFaC6D_GYu8&mode=related&search=

It's pretty long, but if you have the time it's worth a look.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#193 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
yeah i think its very realistic. War is definitely not beatiful.
seasider666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 seasider666

Michaelthecm

Good post ... ;)

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#195 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts
I want jointed to find all the veterans interviewed and tell them they are wrong about dday.
seasider666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 seasider666
How is it wrong about DDay...yeah go on then ...... an tell it how you feel ....?
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 mark4091
Oh and also, I highly doubt they would have been able to get a photo if they were being gunned at as soon as the door dropped,those two photo's were taken in boats that may have been somewhat lucky, you just don't know every possible thing...
syorks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#198 syorks
Member since 2006 • 2399 Posts

Watching it right now, can't help but feel its got a good bit of hollywood hype, well there is no covering fire from the sea or air, no smoke cover, Must have known about the axis defences on the beach. Surely allies must have to give their soliders the best chance possible of survival, slack?

No use in talking about all this now but its such a powerful opening in SPR and it would be nice to know how realistic this really is. It seems like one German machine gun vs the whole allied army, and they cant take these out by air before the landing = daft?

Band of Brothers > Saving Private Ryan.

slicknet

They did shell the beaches but sadly they either missed or did not do substantial damage.

jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts
I remember watching the news when the movie came out and them showing veterans walking out of the theater crying, just after that scene. It is real, those people went through hell.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

No...it's not. No Allied commander (well except the Russians maybe) would sendhis troops against a beachhead with 8 metre high bunkers and without proper naval or air support as seen in the movie.

jointed

Maybe "Jointed" needs to do some WW2 research. The Allies DID bomb the hell out of Normandy before the initial invasion. Most companies and battalians storming the beach saw little resistance.

What you see in the Movie was that of Omaha beach, the one part of the stretch of Beach that missed most of it's targets. This is common knowledge with people who study WW2. Omaha beach was a slaughter as the bunkers were not hit as well.

Again, you fail at life.