Is D-Day, saving private ryan realistic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

You're commenting my knowledge of history based on what I write, I comment your intelligence based on what you write....what's the difference?

What the hell are you talking about? Many died yes, but not like we're shown in the movie. I've shown you the pictures, now please just stop it...

jointed

You showed ONE picture of the landing...before they hit the beach. It proved nothing....and yet you still think your are correct. I gave you a link to the story from a survivor...there are many more and I recommend you read some because you HAVE demonstated ignorance of this topic.

The movie didn't begin to show the hell of war....reality WAS much worse.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]

You're commenting my knowledge of history based on what I write, I comment your intelligence based on what you write....what's the difference?

What the hell are you talking about? Many died yes, but not like we're shown in the movie. I've shown you the pictures, now please just stop it...

LJS9502_basic

You showed ONE picture of the landing...before they hit the beach. It proved nothing....and yet you still think your are correct. I gave you a link to the story from a survivor...there are many more and I recommend you read some because you HAVE demonstated ignorance of this topic.

Not to mention the pic may not have been from Omaha which was the beach shown in the movie. Omaha was the worst spot of them all. That could have been shot from Gold, Juno, or Sword. (the last one escapes me.)
dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#103 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

Pictures by Robert Capa.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

I showed one picture because Gamespot won't allow me to post more than one in a post for some reason. There're plenty of pictures, I suggest you google it.

It's a movie, of course reality was much worse.

The movie exaggerated the event, that's all I'm saying. No soldiers were shot before they could even get out of the landing crafts, the whole opening scene is exaggerated.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 LJS9502_basic

I showed one picture because Gamespot won't allow me to post more than one in a post for some reason. There're plenty of pictures, I suggest you google it.

The movie exaggerated the event, that's all I'm saying. No soldiers were shot before they could even get out of the landing crafts, the whole opening scene is exaggerated.

jointed

I just gave you a link that proved otherwise.:|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

I just gave you a link that proved otherwise.:|

Proved? I've already dismissed your vet storys as being subjective nonsense when it comes to what really happened. Now, if you can show me, one pic, ONE picture , showing landingcrafts stacked with dead soldiers and the beach littered with corpses, I'll drop this whole arguement.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

jointed

i agree, i just watched a few vids on youtube.. I saw them easily coming out, shots were being fired at them, but not slaughtered.. PERHAPS one of the vets boats was slaughtered, so Steven used this one to make that opening scene, while all other boats were fine.. then everyone assumes thats what happened.
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108 Apollo5000
Member since 2005 • 18782 Posts
I'm 70% sure that Tom Hanks was not actually at the real D-Day...
frankyfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 frankyfitz
Member since 2004 • 4528 Posts
Apparently it is...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 LJS9502_basic

IProved? I've already dismissed your vet storys as being subjective nonsense when it comes to what really happened. Now, if you can show me, one pic, ONE picture , showing landingcrafts stacked with dead soldiers and the beach littered with corpses, I'll drop this whole arguement.

jointed

Wow.....in all that turmoil I'd be surprised if pictures of the actual event exist. And you can dismiss all you want...that doesn't make you right. VETS plural were consulted making this movie. It's considered the most realistic recreation. By the way....those types of pictures weren't routinely published in that era.

However, I've figured out why you don't want to accept the truth. Europeans in general...though not all...dismiss all the US efforts in WW2. Bias is an ugly thing....

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
I'm 70% sure that Tom Hanks was not actually at the real D-Day...Apollo5000
He was actually, he told me himself. Saving private ryan was all real footage, but no one believes him. I believe you tom hanks. I believe you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

IProved? I've already dismissed your vet storys as being subjective nonsense when it comes to what really happened. Now, if you can show me, one pic, ONE picture , showing landingcrafts stacked with dead soldiers and the beach littered with corpses, I'll drop this whole arguement.

LJS9502_basic

Wow.....in all that turmoil I'd be surprised if pictures of the actual event exist. And you can dismiss all you want...that doesn't make you right. VETS plural were consulted making this movie. It's considered the most realistic recreation. By the way....those types of pictures weren't routinely published in that era.

However, I've figured out why you don't want to accept the truth. Europeans in general...though not all...dismiss all the US efforts in WW2. Bias is an ugly thing....

What the hell are you talking about? I admire the Americans who participated in the D-day landings, the Americans who were dropped over the netherlands in Operation Marketgarden, the Americans fighting the Germans in the battle of the bulge, etc etc.

But I just can't sit here and watch you guys claim that Saving Private ryan is realistic when pictures of the actuall battle say something else.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 LJS9502_basic

What the hell are you talking about? I admire the Americans who participated in the D-day landings, the Americans who were dropped over the netherlands in Operation Marketgarden, the Americans fighting the Germans in the battle of the bulge, etc etc.

But I just can't sit here and watch you guys claim that Saving Private ryan is realistic when pictures of the actuall battle say something else.

jointed

One picture because as of now...that's your evidence. Second....pictures don't always exist for everything. Read from the survivors. Seriously dude....your tenacity tothis argument is strange. I've never met anyone argue against history before.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LJS9502_basic
Here is More to Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

One picture because as of now...that's your evidence. Second....pictures don't always exist for everything. Read from the survivors. Seriously dude....your tenacity tothis argument is strange. I've never met anyone argue against history before.

I'm not arguing against history, I'm debating YOU. My picture proves everything, the battle may have been a though one, but the opnening scene was NOT realistic at all.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LJS9502_basic

jointed

I'm not arguing against history, I'm debating YOU. My picture proves everything, the battle may have been a though one, but the opnening scene was NOT realistic at all.

Haven't read the link I see....

stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#117 stevendiep_100
Member since 2004 • 2193 Posts

Saving Private Ryan's D-Day landing is realistic. People did get their arms blown off. Flamethrower troopers did explode when their packs got shot. There were plenty of soldiers that were crying and scared. The first troops landed did get mowed down by machine gun fire. D-Day was not a walk in the park, you ignorant moron. Bullets were flying, grenades were blowing up, lives were getting lost every second.

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
Your picture proves that the person who was taking the picture didn't go through heavy fire while landing. It's not a picture of the entire event. There are a number of vets saying the same thing; they landed under heavy fire. Why do you know more than they do? You're saying their stories are subjective. :lol: You wouldn't know. You have one single picture. YOU WOULND'T KNOW.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

Haven't read the link I see....

This is how Saving private Ryan portrayed what happened to the first landingcraft to hit the beach (almost everyone seen in this picture dies):

This is what really happened: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/audiocoke/Omaha_beach_June_6_1944.png

stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 stevendiep_100
So you're saying that when allied troops landed the germans gave the 10 minutes to go and fine a safe place to hide?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 LJS9502_basic

This is how Saving private Ryan portrayed what happened to the first landingcraft to hit the beach (almost everyone seen in this picture dies):

This is what really happened:

jointed
*sigh* I've given you documentation twice now that contradicts that as exactly what happened on Omaha Beach that day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

*sigh* I've given you documentation twice now that contradicts that as exactly what happened on Omaha Beach that day.

I've given you 2 god damn pictures. COMPARE THEM and please tell me the difference.

stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 stevendiep_100
So you're saying that when allied troops landed the germans gave the 10 minutes to go and fine a safe place to hide?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I don't know if either are realistic but both Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan rocks
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 LJS9502_basic

jointed

I've given you 2 god damn pictures. COMPARE THEM and please tell me the difference.

Pictures taken when and where? Survivors state otherwise. The casualites state otherwise. The wounded state otherwise. Did you see the placement of the German guns? Do you think they let the US land and walk up to the beach and THEN start firing?

Dude seriously....:roll:

stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 stevendiep_100

LJS9502_basic

Pictures taken when and where? Survivors state otherwise. The casualites state otherwise. The wounded state otherwise. Did you see the placement of the German guns? Do you think they let the US land and walk up to the beach and THEN start firing?

Yeah, this guy doesn't know when he's been proven wrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

LJS9502_basic

Stop it, just ....stop it.

Read my post again. I've given you TWO PICTURES now. One was from Saving Private Ryan, and the other was from the real thing. BOTH are pictures of the first landingcraft to hit the beach, now would you please point out the differences.

stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 stevendiep_100
Why dont you stop? D Day wasn't a walk in the park, you're wrong.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 LJS9502_basic

Read my post again. I've given you TWO PICTURES now. One was from Saving Private Ryan, and the other was from the real thing. BOTH are pictures of the first landingcraft to hit the beach, now would you please point out the differences.

jointed

Where and when were they taken?

I've given you links stating they were attacked as they landed. Which Saving Private Ryan shows.....realistic mate.

Be back in an hour...read up whilst I'm out.;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

Where and when were they taken?

I've given you links stating they were attacked as they landed. Which Saving Private Ryan shows.....realistic mate.

Be back in an hour...read up whilst I'm out.;)

Both are pictures of the first landingcraft to hit the beach. Picture number 1 is from Saving Private Ryan and picture number 2 is from the real thing.

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#132 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty realistic, but I don't expect it to be an exact replica.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#134 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts

Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.SaintLeonidas

I know..

Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#135 Apollo5000
Member since 2005 • 18782 Posts

Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.SaintLeonidas

Isn't everyday a sad day for OT, for one reason or another. We never have happy days for OT.

gabcd86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 gabcd86
Member since 2005 • 544 Posts

Wow....is history always this badly taught in the UK?...it's a known fact DDAY was bloody. LJS9502_basic

C'mon man, don't sink to that level - you can't assume that because one person is ignorant and stubborn, the whole continent is. Maybe we resent the fact that the US left us to die until they were directly involved in the war, especially here in France, but anyone who doesn't know that without the US, we would all be speaking German today, is an idiot.

salamancecool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#137 salamancecool
Member since 2004 • 963 Posts
There were no air support becuase the germans had AA and boats would have to say far enough out not to be attacked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

*sigh* Just look at the pictures, I've never claimed to know more than historians or veterans....:roll:

You're acting like a bunch of 12 year olds...

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
I would say so. That movie is sweet, Band of Brothers as well.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Wow....is history always this badly taught in the UK?...it's a known fact DDAY was bloody. gabcd86

C'mon man, don't sink to that level - you can't assume that because one person is ignorant and stubborn, the whole continent is. Maybe we resent the fact that the US left us to die until they were directly involved in the war, especially here in France, but anyone who doesn't know that without the US, we would all be speaking German today, is an idiot.

It wasn't just him....it's other comments I've read in other topics....I did say not all. Hey...you're the first person I met from France here. Excellent wine.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.jointed

*sigh* Just look at the pictures, I've never claimed to know more than historians or veterans....:roll:

Sorry dude...you've claimed that over and over. You said the vets were exaggerating and subjective.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.LJS9502_basic

Sorry dude...you've claimed that over and over. You said the vets were exaggerating and subjective.

The vet stories ARE subjective, and I've never claimed that they exaggerated. I claimed that the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan was exaggerated, I proved this by posting 2 pictures of the EXACT same event.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.jointed

The vet stories ARE subjective, and I've never claimed that they exaggerated. I claimed that the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan was exaggerated, I proved this by posting 2 pictures of the EXACT same event.

The pictures are subjective. It's only a second in history...and the subject matter is subjective to the photographer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Wow, this is a sad day for OT. When one person actually thinks that with his knowledge and a few pics he knows more then the countless historians and survivors of the war know about what actually happened. You cant even imagine how angry one can get just by reading what sad person has been writing.LJS9502_basic

The pictures are subjective. It's only a second in history...and the subject matter is subjective to the photographer.

Saving Private Ryan:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/audiocoke/saving_private_ryan_il_faut_sauver_.jpg

Real:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/audiocoke/Omaha_beach_June_6_1944.png

BOTH pictures are taken from THE FIRST LANDINGCRAFT THAT REACHED THE BEACH. It was a brutal battle, I'm sure, but Saving Private Ryan heavily altered the first minutes of the invasion.

PS: I fail to see how this makes me ignorant...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 LJS9502_basic

BOTH pictures are taken from THE FIRST LANDINGCRAFT THAT REACHED THE BEACH. It was a brutal battle, I'm sure, but Saving Private Ryan heavily altered the first minutes of the invasion.

jointed

Your picture is subjective. I gave you historical documentation and you argue against it. It's not worth debating with someone who doesn't pay attention to facts.

gabcd86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 gabcd86
Member since 2005 • 544 Posts
[QUOTE="gabcd86"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Wow....is history always this badly taught in the UK?...it's a known fact DDAY was bloody. LJS9502_basic

It wasn't just him....it's other comments I've read in other topics....I did say not all. Hey...you're the first person I met from France here. Excellent wine.

Nah, I'm English/Brazilian, but I live there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

Your picture is subjective. I gave you historical documentation and you argue against it. It's not worth debating with someone who doesn't pay attention to facts.

How the hell is it subjective? It's a wide picture of the beach and hundreds of men walking torwards it....It's not subjective at all. This doesn't matter since the camera locations are almost identical on both photos.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LJS9502_basic

jointed

How the hell is it subjective? It's a wide picture of the beach and hundreds of men walking torwards it....It's not subjective at all. This doesn't matter since the camera locations are almost identical on both photos.

You need to read what the survivors say...../discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

LJS9502_basic

You need to read what the survivors say...../discussion.

Youn eed to look at the pictures I've provided. I fail to see why you continue to argue against it. I'm saying that the opening scene in saving private Ryan was exaggerated, and I'm 100% right.