Interesting, I just found out one of Gamespot's reviewers is transgender.

• 193 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UltimoIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 UltimoIce
Member since 2009 • 3074 Posts

[QUOTE="JJ_Productions"][QUOTE="InEMplease"]

And just how do you know what goes into their decision making? It's not exactly a small decision, and I'm sure they've thought about it much more than you have.

InEMplease

Making decision based on feelings is being completely selfish. First off, your not thinking logically, Secondly, you disregard any one else feelings on the matter, and thirdly, it is purely a self gain, self esteem, and egotistical purpose. Would you want a leader who has all of the above qualities? I wouldn't either

Why do you keep bringing "leader" up in this? We're talking about transgendered people, not leaders.

It's YOUR body. Noone has the right to tell you what to do with YOUR body. That's thinking logically. As far as how others feel, in this case one would put their feeling before others, simply because this is a life changing decision. It's not done selfishly, it's done to feel normal, to be the way you feel you were intended to be.

It is true that people have free will. People can do almost anything. But actions do have consequences. I'm not calling into question the morality of transgendered people, but doing so you do take on a whole lot of stigma. That is life. It would be like if I decided to kill myself. It would be my choice, sure, but it would probably betray some people and smear my name.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Just because they're not schizo doesn't mean that their minds are working correctly. Dissociative disorders are defined as conditions that involve disruptions or breakdowns of memory, awareness, identity and/or perception. Hint, Hint "Identity and perception" would alter the sex you view that you should be.Nibroc420

Being transgendered isn't a mental illness.

Prove it?

It is, to my knowledge, not listed in the DMS-IV. You're the one claiming it's a mental illness, the burden is on you to prove that claim (and against the opinion of the folks who actually study and deal with mental illness for a living).

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
I'm not even sure why you feel the need to even point out she's transgender.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#56 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Eh it's interesting,but her reviews are good :).Is that Kevin VanOrd?Damn he looking fresh :).

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
She's been on GS for a LONG time. Was a user before she was an employee. Also nice to look back at how opinions used to be in OT around 02/03 where trans users were definitely hounded and flamed continually. Now, not so much. :) She's an excellent reviewer, glad she's part of the site.
JJ_Productions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 JJ_Productions
Member since 2008 • 1067 Posts
[QUOTE="JJ_Productions"]

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"] um if no one ever made decisions based on feelings, no one would ever get married, or fall in love. That'd be pretty sad.Allicrombie

Um no, people actually get married because its a thought out decision. This isn't the movies where two people fall in love and live happily ever after. There are logical, financial and other decision that need to be made when it comes to marriage...You know, i think thats why they are so many divorces now a days. People get this misconception that marriage is all happy and flowers and a walking into the sunset but at the end of the day its no where near that.

so people dont have to have feelings for someone to marry them? O.O This isnt the 16th century, you know.

Peoples feelings change, a sound decision will not. In 2 years time you both could be "falling out of love" and it does happened. So if my whole foundation of the relationship is the fact that will fell in love and then years down the road we fall out, then the marriage is doomed. Feelings change, people change, infatuation and love can only last so long unless its unconditional and if thats the case then you most have met God cause no such thing as unconditional love coming from a man or woman who needs or wants
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Whatever. She's a pretty good reviewer which is, you know, kind of the most important part of being a reviewer. I don't really care about peoples personal life unless it effects me and even then I don't really judge.
MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

Everyone honestly needs to just shut up and keep their opinions to themselves, especially on things like this, because you KNOW it will cause arguments. Sure, one is being more reasonable than the other, but normally people have pretty closed minds unfortunately. Therefore, arguing with them will only enrage them. We don't want enraged misinformed people, do we?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

[QUOTE="TommyWieseau81"]Hmmmm.... I'm going to speak my mind here and say I don't understand transgender people. I don't see why they have to pretend to be something they are not. They should be happy with the way they were born....JJ_Productions

That's just it, they already feel like they're pretending to be something they're not. They feel they're in the wrong body, and should have been born differently.

Anybody who makes decision based on feelings and not logic and sound information, is in no way shape or form a leader

It's perfectly logical to change something about yourself to make yourself feel better. You could be born with a cleft lip but that dosn't mean you should keep it that way.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Everyone honestly needs to just shut up and keep their opinions to themselves, especially on things like this, because you KNOW it will cause arguments. Sure, one is being more reasonable than the other, but normally people have pretty closed minds unfortunately. Therefore, arguing with them will only enrage them. We don't want enraged misinformed people, do we?

MasterBolt360
So people who dont agree on an opinion are simply mis-informed? :roll:
TommyWieseau81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TommyWieseau81
Member since 2011 • 455 Posts

MasterBolt360
Sorry for having my opinion and being able to express it.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Being trans-gender isn't a mental illness, if anything it's something that isn't easily defined in a physical sense. I'm trans-gender, wrote a blog in this site about it in my profile.

The best way I can describe it in a very short and simple context is this: Being forced to live a life that isn't yours because of a mistake that couldn't be prevented.

I hate having a male body, I have always hated it. Ever since my self awareness kicked in when I was very young back in the early 80s I have always known that I don't fit with the physical gender of my body. It is very hard to explain the metaphysical side of it since society and the media enforce us to only see the outside, never the person within and to judge them only on what we see on the outside.
But it isn't that easy, a person is not defined by their outer appearance. To define someone because of how they look on the outside is flawed since for all you know someone who's beautiful or handsome beyond words could really be a really horrible person, or they might not be, it's hard to tell when you just look at the outside.

For someone who's trans-gender, their gender identity - The aspect of all of us which defines the gender we identify as and how we develop within that gender identity - doesn't match the physical gender appearance. That can lead to confusion as they grow up as they wonder why they feel so different from what they're being taught to be.
I was brought up to think and feel as male due to my physical birth, but inside I didn't feel like the way I was being made to be. Even though I love Transformers and Star Trek and video games, my interests didn't come from a male aspect, but from the curousity of the young girl within who found such things to be much more interesting than the gender stereotype toys she saw.

That young girl grew up feeling out of place with herself, she watched as her body matured and she knew, somehow, that she was developing wrong but she couldn't understand why. Not until she learned of the physical differences and she understood what waswrong, and why she wasn't fitting right with the body she was born with.
And now that young girl is a woman trapped within a man's body and forced to be the man she can't be day after day, not just in life in general, but even in her favourite past times because of outdated gender stereotypes that constantly force the notion that being male is the way to be.

It is a living hell to live like that, I know full well how I was supposed to develop, all my life I've had an image of the woman I am - from childhood up to adulthood - and how I'm supposed to be. The woman in my profile, that's me within, that's who I'm supposed to be but didn't because of a random mix up when I was developing in the womb.
Being trans-gender wasn't and isn't a choice, it's just one of those things. And making the difficult life choice of proceeding with the hormone treatments, the operation and the transistion isn't an easy one to make due to the sacrifices such a choice requires.

And then there's the stigma towards trans-genders, the attacks, the fear of their family disowning them - which happens sadly - their friends turning their backs on them. It can be a very lonely and emotionally painful life.
So one of this site's staff has a trans-gender history, so? She does good reviews, from what others have said, the haters who refuse to think beyond their limited concept of how people should be really need to grow up and understand that life isn't easily defined just because they demand it to be.

Me and many others who are trans-gender or have a trans-gender history did not choose for our lives to be this way, but we had to make a painful choice in what to do about that life.
Life happens, in all of it's many ways.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Michael0134567

Being trans-gender isn't a mental illness, if anything it's something that isn't easily defined in a physical sense. I'm trans-gender, wrote a blog in this site about it in my profile.

The best way I can describe it in a very short and simple context is this: Being forced to live a life that isn't yours because of a mistake that couldn't be prevented.

I hate having a male body, I have always hated it. Ever since my self awareness kicked in when I was very young back in the early 80s I have always known that I don't fit with the physical gender of my body. It is very hard to explain the metaphysical side of it since society and the media enforce us to only see the outside, never the person within and to judge them only on what we see on the outside.
But it isn't that easy, a person is not defined by their outer appearance. To define someone because of how they look on the outside is flawed since for all you know someone who's beautiful or handsome beyond words could really be a really horrible person, or they might not be, it's hard to tell when you just look at the outside.

For someone who's trans-gender, their gender identity - The aspect of all of us which defines the gender we identify as and how we develop within that gender identity - doesn't match the physical gender appearance. That can lead to confusion as they grow up as they wonder why they feel so different from what they're being taught to be.
I was brought up to think and feel as male due to my physical birth, but inside I didn't feel like the wayI was being made to be. Even though I love Transformers and Star Trek and video games,my interests didn'tcome from a male aspect, but from the curousity of the young girl within who found such things to be much more interesting than the gender stereotype toys she saw.

That young girl grew up feeling out of place with herself, she watched as her body matured and she knew, somehow, that she was developing wrong but she couldn't understand why. Not until shelearned of the physical differences and she understood what waswrong, and why she wasn't fitting right with the body she was born with.
And now that young girl is awoman trapped within a man's body and forced to be the man she can't be day after day, not just in life in general, but even in her favourite past times because of outdated gender stereotypes that constantly force the notion that being male is the way to be.

It is a living hell tolive like that, I know full well how I was supposed to develop, all my life I've had an image of the woman I am - from childhood up to adulthood - and how I'm supposedto be. The woman in my profile, that's me within, that's who I'm supposed to be but didn't because of a random mix up when I was developing in the womb.
Being trans-gender wasn't and isn't a choice, it's justone of those things. And making the difficult life choice of proceeding with the hormone treatments, the operation and the transistion isn't an easy one to make due to the sacrifices such a choicerequires.

And then there's the stigmatowards trans-genders, the attacks, the fear of their family disowning them - which happens sadly - their friends turning their backs on them. It can be a very lonely and emotionally painful life.
So one of this site's staff has a trans-gender history, so? She does good reviews, from what others have said, the haters who refuse to think beyond theirlimited concept of how people should be really need to grow up and understand that life isn't easily definedjust because they demand it to be.

Me and many others who are trans-gender or have a trans-gender historydid not choose for our lives to be this way, but we had to make a painful choice in what to do about that life.
Life happens, in all of it's many ways.

Smokescreened84

That's a good speech :).It really pisses me off that some people think there's something wrong with being transgender.And you're transgender too?

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Hurray?

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Lockedge
[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

[QUOTE="TommyWieseau81"]Hmmmm.... I'm going to speak my mind here and say I don't understand transgender people. I don't see why they have to pretend to be something they are not. They should be happy with the way they were born....TommyWieseau81

That's just it, they already feel like they're pretending to be something they're not. They feel they're in the wrong body, and should have been born differently.

But thats what I don't understand. They should realise that they can't change the way they are, and should accept who they are.

Well that would certainly be depressing. Should I go to the hospital and tell my friend's cousin he shouldn't fight off the leukemia he has, that he should accept it? No. That would be rather mean. The body is malleable, and my body is mine. I'll change it as I see fit
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Smokescreened84

That's a good speech :).It really pisses me off that some people think there's something wrong with being transgender.And you're transgender too?

Michael0134567

Aye, I am. I was born with a male body which I regard as a birth defect that I need to be rid of, for years it's been a bane to my life. I'm working towards the gender reallignment, takes time though due to the stigma there is towards trans-genders here in the UK.

Says it all in my blog on this site.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="TommyWieseau81"][QUOTE="InEMplease"]

Lockedge

But thats what I don't understand. They should realise that they can't change the way they are, and should accept who they are.

Well that would certainly be depressing. Should I go to the hospital and tell my friend's cousin he shouldn't fight off the leukemia he has, that he should accept it? No. That would be rather mean. The body is malleable, and my body is mine. I'll change it as I see fit

Thats his body being sick. Believing you "should" be a different gender when you're not is silly.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
God says he's a man. Man says, he's not.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]That's a good speech :).It really pisses me off that some people think there's something wrong with being transgender.And you're transgender too?

Smokescreened84

Aye, I am. I was born with a male body which I regard as a birth defect that I need to be rid of, for years it's been a bane to my life. I'm working towards the gender reallignment, takes time though due to the stigma there is towards trans-genders here in the UK.

Ah that's cool.I'll read it.I've never met a transgender.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
and yet i dont really care because GS reviews suck now a days anyway
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

God says he's a man. Man says, he's not.MFDOOM1983
God has nothing to do with it. If you believe in god then fine, but don't force it on everyone else.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
I'm sorry but this is a joke :lol:. I mean really what was the point of creating this thread :( ? If you google that very link, you will see many are making fun and pointing at gamespot and knew since January! And also, who here didnt know this :shock: ? You should of left this on twitter, not bring it here. Overall, to me, its a "so what." I'm sure shes a great person and does good work which is the reason shes still working @ GS.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MFDOOM1983
and yet i dont really care because GS reviews suck now a days anywaymems_1224
They seem to be looked down upon in this industry.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Old news, also another one of GS reviewers is gay no big deal.

UltimoIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78 UltimoIce
Member since 2009 • 3074 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]God says he's a man. Man says, he's not.toast_burner

God has nothing to do with it. If you believe in god then fine, but don't force it on everyone else.

As a completely unbiased third party reader, does anyone else find this ironic given the context of the discussion?

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Lockedge
[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] But you clearly were not intended to be that way if nature did not agree. Having your mind believe it's "not suited for this body" is not normal thinking.Nibroc420

Genetic mutations are a normal thing, and usually disagree with nature.

:roll: People who believe they should be a different sex, are as insane as those who truly believe they're supposed to be a different species.

I suppose I'm insane then. Should I use you as a reference to apply for federal disability? Should I report my therapist for being so inept as to not even bring up the possibility of me being insane? Do you have a mental health institution you'd recommend in the Ottawa area? I suppose it MUST be insane for me to think my brain is wired one way and my body another. Certainly, there have never been any cases where children have been born with biological conditions from something simple as cleft palates, all the way to more complex instances of having intersexed conditions......no, not at all. There's absolutely no precedent, is there?
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Michael0134567

madsnakehhh
Which reviewer?
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

[QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]That's a good speech :).It really pisses me off that some people think there's something wrong with being transgender.And you're transgender too?

Michael0134567

and you still have not

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

Michael0134567
Which reviewer?

Kevin V
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MFDOOM1983

Lol maybe what i wrote was badly written. When i say god i'm referring to people who say accept the way you are.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

toast_burner
Which reviewer?

Kevin V

Oh,really?I never would've guessed.
JJ_Productions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 JJ_Productions

I know eh, how dare he force his opinions on us. Unforgivable
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]

Colin1192

and you still have not

Lol never said I did.
TommyWieseau81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TommyWieseau81
Member since 2011 • 455 Posts

[QUOTE="TommyWieseau81"][QUOTE="InEMplease"]

Lockedge

Straw man argument.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Smokescreened84

Are you a writer by any chance? Your syntax, language and grammer is pretty impeccable. :o

JJ_Productions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 JJ_Productions

Jagged3dge

Are you a writer by any chance? Your syntax, language and grammer is pretty impeccable. :o

...Almost... feminine even?
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Lockedge

[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="TommyWieseau81"] But thats what I don't understand. They should realise that they can't change the way they are, and should accept who they are.Nibroc420

Thats his body being sick. Believing you "should" be a different gender when you're not is silly.

Well, gender is performance, so you can be any gender you wish. Sex, on the other hand, is a bit harder to change, and I believe that's what you're arguing against. And I shall disagree with you there that it's silly. It also runs on the assumption that who I am doesn't amount the value of what I am. Also, is it so far fetched to think that transfolk have differences in brain development that fall in line with the sex they believe themselves to be? I mean, considering that a vast majority of transperson's brains that have been studied are virtually identical to the average brain of the sex they presented themselves as....
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Which reviewer?Michael0134567
Kevin V

Exactly, it is irrelevant, just like how Carolyn's situation should be.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="Lockedge"] Well that would certainly be depressing. Should I go to the hospital and tell my friend's cousin he shouldn't fight off the leukemia he has, that he should accept it? No. That would be rather mean. The body is malleable, and my body is mine. I'll change it as I see fitLockedge

Well, gender is performance, so you can be any gender you wish. Sex, on the other hand, is a bit harder to change, and I believe that's what you're arguing against. And I shall disagree with you there that it's silly. It also runs on the assumption that who I am doesn't amount the value of what I am. Also, is it so far fetched to think that transfolk have differences in brain development that fall in line with the sex they believe themselves to be? I mean, considering that a vast majority of transperson's brains that have been studied are virtually identical to the average brain of the sex they presented themselves as....

I can run around saying "I should've been a bird", it doesn't make it a valid argument. A boy saying "i should've been a girl" doesn't make it so.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="toast_burner"] Kevin Vmadsnakehhh

Exactly, it is irrelevant, just like how Carolyn's situation should be.

Yeah,you got a point.When I read a review,I don't care what they look like or about their personal life.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Lockedge

[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="TommyWieseau81"] But thats what I don't understand. They should realise that they can't change the way they are, and should accept who they are.TommyWieseau81

Straw man argument.

Well, on one hand, you're telling transfolk that they should accept their medical condition, despite there being treatments readily available. In my example, I'm telling a child that he should accept his medical condition despite there being treatments readily available. It's not unrelated, and from my perspective I'm addressing your point. Unless you DON'T see it as a medical condition, where you could then perceive it to be a strawman. However, I'm not a mindreader. Mayhaps there was something I missed that you would care to enlighten me on?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Thats his body being sick. Believing you "should" be a different gender when you're not is silly.

Nibroc420

I can run around saying "I should've been a bird", it doesn't make it a valid argument. A boy saying "i should've been a girl" doesn't make it so.

Rediculious argument. A bird is a bird, just as a human is a human. Gender, however, is a purely social construct.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

toast_burner
Which reviewer?

Kevin V

that was obvious.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"][QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Which reviewer?

Kevin V

that was obvious.

Not really lol.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Lockedge"] Well, gender is performance, so you can be any gender you wish. Sex, on the other hand, is a bit harder to change, and I believe that's what you're arguing against. And I shall disagree with you there that it's silly. It also runs on the assumption that who I am doesn't amount the value of what I am. Also, is it so far fetched to think that transfolk have differences in brain development that fall in line with the sex they believe themselves to be? I mean, considering that a vast majority of transperson's brains that have been studied are virtually identical to the average brain of the sex they presented themselves as....worlock77

Rediculious argument. A bird is a bird, just as a human is a human. Gender, however, is a purely social construct.

A boy is a boy, a girl is a girl. Just because a boy likes dolls doesn't make them a girl.
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Smokescreened84

Jagged3dge

Thank you, aye, I am a writer. Though I'm a non-profit writer, I just write to get all of the ideas out of me so that I can get some sleep. I've got far too many story ideas in me and not a single one of them is an anime fan fic or something taken from a pre-made source.

I only write, in general, original work created only by me. Sometimes I might use an established universe, generally just the prime time line Star Trek universe, if I feel it works but I never write any of the pre-made characters from it. I mention them sometimes, but all characters in my few Trek stories are my own creations.