If you had an intersex child

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I would just let them decide.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
It's pretty startling to see how many people would get an abortion....I mean, really?
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Intersex -is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn't seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male.

If you had an intersex child, would you raise them to be a "him" or a "her" by feeding them hormones or would you allow them to decide on their own when they feel that they are ready?

If you decide for them, would you ever tell them that they were born "differently"?

Most importantly, if you found out that your child would be born with this "condition" within the earlier trimesters, would you proceed to have the child or get an abortion? Please consider society today and think about the future of the child if others may find out that he/she was born intersexual. Keep in mind that your current location and your current financial state is vital.

voluptuoushrewd
Whichever seems to be the natural fit at the time. Most kinds who are intersexed have bodies that lean one way more than the other, and barring an extreme intersexed condition(such as the one where during puberty, your body uses hormones from a semi-finished opposite sex reproductive organ to apply what seems at the time to be the opposite puberty progression than expected) it tends to go well. Monitor the child. pay attention to them and be inquisitive. Being intersexed makes it challenging enough, but it also makes you less capable of determining the gender of your child, even if you can determine the (primary, if there's organs of both involved) sex of your child. So many kids are born intersexed and don't know it anyway. Most of the time it's a minor procedure directly after birth and *voila* the kid won't know unless they really check into it later on or if there's a future complication.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] I never understood this concept - why would someone identify with a gender that isn't their biological sex?jalexbrown

It has something to do with hormones and the brain, I think.

There's a lot of variations. Besides I think you should be aware that intersex babies won't always have a clear XX or XY DNA.

I've never heard of anyone not having XX or XY DNA. I suppose DNA is capable of mutation, but transgender seems more like a development issue than a genetic one.

It's not genetic or developmental(socially, post-birth, at least). It's a biological abnormality that occurs during the development within the womb. At least, for transsexuals. Transgender subgroups like transvestites and whatnot are developmental, but they aren't normally intersexed...mostly hetero guys who like dressing up. Closer to a fetish than anything. In terms of intersexed folks and whatnot, there are guys with XX and girls with XY, which stray from the norm. Lots of things can happen during the development of a fetus and some kids come out different than normal, out of no fault of their own.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Get it changed at birth....
Avatar image for voluptuoushrewd
voluptuoushrewd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 voluptuoushrewd
Member since 2010 • 255 Posts

Here is an article that may provide more information: Link

Excerpt-

"Think twice before surgery

One of the more common is congenital adrenal hyperplasia. In such cases, genetic girls with XX chromosomes are exposed in the womb to such high levels of androgen — the hormone that triggers male development — that they appear male externally even if they have female reproductive organs. A different condition leaves genetic males less responsive to androgen during development, so they're born without a penis."

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

I don't see why I should decide for him/her, it's none of my business really. I definitely wouldn't recommend an abortion in any case, even if he/she ends up being a bit weird I don't think that's enough of a reason to abort him/her. Besides, I'd raise a girl or a boy pretty much the same way...

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Well yeah I would consider that the kid will be in great trouble in his later years (bullying, discrimination and whatnot) but personally the only problem I would have is deciding a name for him/her as I wouldnt know at that early age if he/she feels more like a girl or a boy.

I mean I dont even know the implications of those conditions. Do they cause sexual identity confusion simply due to that anatomical intricacy, do they just create general confusion through comparison..... etc?

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Abortion as fast as I could convince the girl to get one.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

If my child had a 'set' he'd be raised as a boy.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I wouldnt decide anything, and up until the child could choose to dress how they were comfortable, I would buy unisex colors and clothing.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#63 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I would like to think I would let the child decide when they were ready. I don't really think I have the right to force either choice on them as they are the oen who will have to live with my choices.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

Abortion as fast as I could convince the girl to get one. wstfld

That's just sad, very sad.

When you decide to have a child you should consider everything. The possibility of disabilities, alternative sexualities, being transgendered, and everything like that. Being intersexed is easily within the range of what parents should be ready to raise. If not, then to be honest I don't think that you really deserve a child. None of us are 'perfect', and all parents must come to that conclusion and accept it.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

Don't know why, but Topic Title reminded me of THIS