If you had an intersex child

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for voluptuoushrewd
voluptuoushrewd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 voluptuoushrewd
Member since 2010 • 255 Posts

Intersex -is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn't seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male.

If you had an intersex child, would you raise them to be a "him" or a "her" by feeding them hormones or would you allow them to decide on their own when they feel that they are ready?

If you decide for them, would you ever tell them that they were born "differently"?

Most importantly, if you found out that your child would be born with this "condition" within the earlier trimesters, would you proceed to have the child or get an abortion? Please consider society today and think about the future of the child if others may find out that he/she was born intersexual. Keep in mind that your current location and your current financial state is vital.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

i'm not a woman, so i can't have an abortion.

if my hypothetical girlfriend was pregnant,

i would let her choose between having it or getting aborted.

and if she kept it,

i would definitely raise the child, because it would be mine.

we would probably raise the baby as a girl.

but she should be able to choose once she is mentally capable of making decisions like that.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I'd let them decide... Actually I'd probably go with whatever anatomy was "more" present on the baby.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Love them as I do my other children and let them decide.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I wasn't aware this was actually a true "condition". Do they stay like that or do most choose a gender later in life? I wouldn't want to be both a girl and a guy.
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts
Raise him/her despite that condition.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Surgery, exorcist and conditioning from birth.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
This wont end well.
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

DNA

End of discussion

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
I'd love to say I would let the kid decide, but there are going to be a few years where the kid won't be able to decide. I guess I would try to push as much androgyny as I could until they were able to make the choice, but that doesn't seem like the right way to go about it either. I would think they would like to identify with some gender (even if it's the "wrong" one for them) rather than no gender or both genders.
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

I'd let the child decide, when I feel that the time is right. I'd raise it using no pinks or blues and give it both male and female toys. I'd observe it's behavior and reactions to things usually associated with one gender or the other.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
I'd raise... It as a girl probably, and love her the same as any child.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I would eat the child, then try again.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Flip a coin.

JayneDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 JayneDee
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
Let them decide; considering my own circumstances...
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts
Love them as I do my other children and let them decide.btaylor2404
A bit problematic don't you think? At what age do you do the surgery,then? leaving it to be the child's decision is capable to leave him with emotional damage for the rest of his life. Myself,I would try to get the doctors to make a choice dependant on the gender the kid is more leaning towards. I'll wait even as long as a year to be able to find out.If it's still undecided- I would choose a boy. LIfe is harder for a gender amigious girl more so than a boy.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

Let them figure out which gender they identify as.

It's not or anybody else's right to do otherwise.

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
let them choose. I've seen too many case studies of instances where parents would raise the kid in one direction and as the kid got older they were extremely awkward, and unsure of how they fit in with things..feeling that they're more like the opposit sex and finding themselves attracted to the same sex, but worse because nothing ever feels right or natural to them. They just don't feel right in their bodies.
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

If the baby is unborn, I would support the mother's decision of whether or not to go through with an abortion. If the child is born, I would have to seek the counsel of a few doctors before making a decision.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MarioFan264

I would choose a boy. LIfe is harder for a gender amigious girl more so than a boy.grape_of_wrath

What makes you say that?

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts

[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"]I would choose a boy. LIfe is harder for a gender amigious girl more so than a boy.MarioFan264

What makes you say that?

One of the most important social attributes for girls are their looks,less so in guys. A feminine guy will,actually, sometimes be considered handsome or pretty-that's not the case with girls. Just my 2 cents.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MarioFan264

[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"]I would choose a boy. LIfe is harder for a gender amigious girl more so than a boy.grape_of_wrath

What makes you say that?

One of the most important social attributes for girls are their looks,less so in guys. A feminine guy will,actually, sometimes be considered handsome or pretty-that's not the case with girls. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know about that. Especially when we start talking about gender identity (which is a big thing here.), if you force them to be a boy then they might grow up and identify as a girl, and trust me the societal problems are quite heavy towards males feeling that they are females. For one thing cross-dressing is a lot more acceptable among females than it is males.

If you chose for them to be a boy and they grew up identifying as that way everything would be fine, but it wouldn't always turn out that way with an intersexed child.

Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts

That's assuming I wanted kids, but I probably would go with abortion.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

Things like this (combined with a plethora of other reasons) is why I am glad I am not having children...what kind of ****** up choice is that to have to make

zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts
i will have the doctors to fix the baby to whatever gender the baby tilts to , if it is more female than male then make it female and vice versa . and i'am not gonna tell the child about it as it is gonna do nothing but to harm him/her psychologically , even if it grows up.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
XX or XY - problem solved.
Quadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 Quadster
Member since 2003 • 578 Posts
I'd let my child decide which gender they most identify with, obviously not an immediate thing, but i'd respect their decisions. I just wish this species would just stop basing everything to do with gender roles and social cues off of what they believe to be the work of some mysterious deity figure.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rawsavon

I just wish this species would just stop basing everything to do with gender roles and social cues off of what they believe to be the work of some mysterious deity figure.Quadster

It is a LOT more complicated than that...
-it involves a lot of psychology that most people here would not care to listen to. But the short version is that humans are cognitively lazy, and we do not like things that make us 'think' or have to actively try and categorize

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MarioFan264

XX or XY - problem solved.jalexbrown

Maybe, but not always.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Tough question TC, I don't know what I would do.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]XX or XY - problem solved.MarioFan264

Maybe, but not always.

How not? You've got to fall under one or the other, and that's solely what defines your gender.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MarioFan264

[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]XX or XY - problem solved.jalexbrown

Maybe, but not always.

How not? You've got to fall under one or the other, and that's solely what defines your gender.

No, XX or XY does not alway determine one's gender. It determines one's sex most of the time, yes, but not always gender identity.

In intersexed people more than the rest you can not rely on such things. You have to realize that only the child knows what their true gender is.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 spazzx625

You have to realize that only the child knows what their true gender is.

MarioFan264
Right, but what happens until they can decide for themselves? Parents can't just wait and see, some sort of gender association is inevitable from birth on. DNA testing will at least give parents a path to safely choose.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rawsavon
[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

Right, but what happens until they can decide for themselves? Parents can't just wait and see, some sort of gender association is inevitable from birth on. DNA testing will at least give parents a path to safely choose.

That was my thought. What do you do til they decide...gender neutral everything (not possible) What happens when they enroll in school or daycare -this 'let the kid decide' is like communism (only great in theory)
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
Now that I have been exposed to this I will probably have a child like that with the messed up unit I was with for the last couple of years and recently have had contact with but if that ever came to pass I would gradually let the child in on the deal at an early age and teach them that the world is full of people that are different in many ways and love them regardless. /run on sentence.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MarioFan264

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

rawsavon

That was my thought. What do you do til they decide...gender neutral everything (not possible) What happens when they enroll in school or daycare -this 'let the kid decide' is like communism (only great in theory)

Communism? lol.

You can try to identify them as one of the genders for their early childhood, and it might be true, but it won't always be. That's all I'm saying here.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

Maybe, but not always.

MarioFan264

No, XX or XY does not alway determine one's gender. It determines one's sex most of the time, yes, but not always gender identity.

In intersexed people more than the rest you can not rely on such things. You have to realize that only the child knows what their true gender is.

Well...what I'm saying is that I would raise them in accordance with their biological sex. This seems logical enough to me.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 spazzx625

You can try to identify them as one of the genders for their early childhood, and it might be true, but it won't always be. That's all I'm saying here.

MarioFan264
Well, obviously, it's a coin toss, essentially. It's an educated guess (and a strong one) with DNA testing, though.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MarioFan264

[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] How not? You've got to fall under one or the other, and that's solely what defines your gender.jalexbrown

Well...what I'm saying is that I would raise them in accordance with their biological sex. This seems logical enough to me.

Well just as long as you let them go with the gender they identify as when they get to the point where they're clearly able to tell it.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jalexbrown

MarioFan264

Well just as long as you let them go with the gender they identify as when they get to the point where they're clearly able to tell it.

I never understood this concept - why would someone identify with a gender that isn't their biological sex?
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i'd make them be whatever gender the rest of their body looks like.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MarioFan264

[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Well...what I'm saying is that I would raise them in accordance with their biological sex. This seems logical enough to me.jalexbrown

I never understood this concept - why would someone identify with a gender that isn't their biological sex?

It has something to do with hormones and the brain, I think.

There's a lot of variations. Besides I think you should be aware that intersex babies won't always have a clear XX or XY DNA.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

I wouldn't be in this situation to begin with...

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jalexbrown

MarioFan264

It has something to do with hormones and the brain, I think.

There's a lot of variations. Besides I think you should be aware that intersex babies won't always have a clear XX or XY DNA.

I've never heard of anyone not having XX or XY DNA. I suppose DNA is capable of mutation, but transgender seems more like a development issue than a genetic one.
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts
Well what exactly does the kid look like on the outside. A penis and a vagina? Is that possible? If they only have the external genitals of one gender than I'd pretty obviously go with that gender.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

I'm rather startled at how many people would want to abort a child that was intersexed. Really?

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts
I'd love to say I would let the kid decide, but there are going to be a few years where the kid won't be able to decide. I guess I would try to push as much androgyny as I could until they were able to make the choice, but that doesn't seem like the right way to go about it either. I would think they would like to identify with some gender (even if it's the "wrong" one for them) rather than no gender or both genders.spazzx625
Yeah, That's a good point actually.