If you get picked last, does it bother you?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

Today I I had a barbeque with a group of 25ish friends and prior to eating, a group of about 15 of us broke off to go play a game of football. After designating a pair of captains they proceeded to start making picks. Now as you may have already guessed, I ended up as the very last pick. I'm a pretty tall guy, consider myself fairly athletic and yet I got picked very last behind people that are shorter than me, and run slower than me, so I didn't understand it at all.

None of my friends made a deal about it and I didn't make a fuss but it bothered me that they didn't think very highly of my abilites. Subsequently, in play not once was I thrown the ball nor did the opposing team even bother covering me(as if they didn't consider me a threat).

Enough of my rant however, I pose the question to OT, if you get picked last for something, are you bothered? and if so explain the details of why or why not.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Nope. Im terrible at sports (Not all of them, just the popular ones) and I dont blame them for picking me last. :P
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I dont usually get picked last on stuff like that but when I used to take normal classes in high school that werent honors or Ap and the teacher would say "all right find a group" I'd have an internal panic attack because I usually wouldn't know anyone in the class.

I'd basically wait till everyone grouped up and try and snake my way into a group. It feels terrible.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

1. In gym class I was like maybe one of the ten people to be picked last and eventually I played good to the point where I was one of the top five picked.

2. School/College group work I would rather work by myself so I wait for the groups to be picked and then just join a group. Unless I'm friends with people in the class I'll join their group.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
No, not if it's for something I'm not good at. Like if the picker knows I can't run very fast, throw or hit or kick very well, why the hell wouldn't they exhaust every other option before picking one of the least athletically talented people there? If they picked me before somebody else who could actually help the team and risked not getting that person, that makes them.. well, a dumbass, and I don't want to be on a dumbass's team. But if you are actually fairly athletic, I could see why that would make you mad.
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

As a child yes. Now, I completely acknowledge that I suck at most sports and thus, do not care.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Not really it's all about strategy and if I'm a bad strategy then fine by me.
DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

No, I don't even wanna play sports

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
No..as last my name starts with letter Y.. So I'm often the last person to be picked, or get called. Got used to it. And to answer TC's question, I never get picked last in a football game. I'm usually the 2nd or 3rd person to get picked, they need bigs and defense, im the guy for that.
onebeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 onebeelo
Member since 2011 • 440 Posts
sounds like they just dont like you...
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
If I ever get picked last for some sport, I use that as motivation to win. People probably aren't expecting much out of you if you're the last pick so you can go ahead and use that to your advantage. Once my friends and I were playing ultimate frisbee and I was one of the last picked. I ended up scoring 5 of the 7 points for our team that same game.
angrules23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 angrules23
Member since 2007 • 854 Posts
Never been last picked before, i'm usually the captain or first/second person.
Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

If I ever get picked last for some sport, I use that as motivation to win. People probably aren't expecting much out of you if you're the last pick so you can go ahead and use that to your advantage. Once my friends and I were playing ultimate frisbee and I was one of the last picked. I ended up scoring 5 of the 7 points for our team that same game. julian_jr

THats what I figured as well, but I didn't even get any touches on the ball. Not once was I even looked at for passes nor did the opposing team even bother to try and cover me. On the defensive side I was quite involved, successfully stopping running plays and getting tips on the ball leading to incomplete passes(no interceptions tho). Nonetheless it didn't change anything, my team still ended up getting rocked.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Has never really happened to me, I'm not horrid at any one sport, nor am I superior at a single sport.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I dont usually get picked last on stuff like that but when I used to take normal classes in high school that werent honors or Ap and the teacher would say "all right find a group" I'd have an internal panic attack because I usually wouldn't know anyone in the class.

I'd basically wait till everyone grouped up and try and snake my way into a group. It feels terrible.

Jolt_counter119

If I don't know anyone in the class, I'll ask the person next to me with the knowledge that they're not going to say no because that would make them feel like a douche.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Nah cause i always tore it up at kickball when it mattered 8)
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

GreySeal9

If I don't know anyone in the class, I'll ask the person next to me with the knowledge that they're not going to say no because that would make them feel like a douche.

Well I live in Riverside Cali. People here aren't afraid to look like douches. Thankfully I never got rejected from a group.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Jolt_counter119

Well I live in Riverside Cali. People here aren't afraid to look like douches. Thankfully I never got rejected from a group.

:lol:

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

:lol:

It's pretty surprising. It's about an hour away from L.A so a lot of that preppy rich wanna be cool like the Hills, and reality shows like that spread here. And the other half are hispanic wanna be gangsters that live in the suburbs.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

[QUOTE="julian_jr"]If I ever get picked last for some sport, I use that as motivation to win. People probably aren't expecting much out of you if you're the last pick so you can go ahead and use that to your advantage. Once my friends and I were playing ultimate frisbee and I was one of the last picked. I ended up scoring 5 of the 7 points for our team that same game. Inger1

THats what I figured as well, but I didn't even get any touches on the ball. Not once was I even looked at for passes nor did the opposing team even bother to try and cover me. On the defensive side I was quite involved, successfully stopping running plays and getting tips on the ball leading to incomplete passes(no interceptions tho). Nonetheless it didn't change anything, my team still ended up getting rocked.

Worst part....they blame the last picked
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

Nah I was always an "all-around" kinda guy when it came to sports.

hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts

i was usually picked in the middle to semi last, and sometimes in the first quarter. but one time i got picked last and it makes you feel like ****

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 julian_jr

[QUOTE="julian_jr"]If I ever get picked last for some sport, I use that as motivation to win. People probably aren't expecting much out of you if you're the last pick so you can go ahead and use that to your advantage. Once my friends and I were playing ultimate frisbee and I was one of the last picked. I ended up scoring 5 of the 7 points for our team that same game. Inger1

If you were completely open and you weren't getting any touches then the fault's on your teammates. Did you tell your teammates to pass you the ball or stay quiet? Part of playing any sport is communicating and if you stayed quiet when completely open then your teammates may not have noticed possibly.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

sounds like they just dont like you...onebeelo

Haha, sorry, TC. I'm going with this answer, too. Sounds like a social thing to me.

I'm not athletic in team sports, but whenever it came down to picking teammates during high school phys ed., I was friends with the usual captains. It wasn't so much as a competition thing, but just we're all going to have more fun if we're on the same team.

But don't worry. I've been invited to get-togethers before where I don't fit in with the crowd, I'd probably be in your shoes if we were to play any sports together. I know them all, but I wouldn't consider myself good friends with any of them.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

this thread makes me feel good cuz i usually get picked first :) lol

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 julian_jr
Worst part....they blame the last pickedDarthkaiser
I've never experienced that before, however that must suck. I'd probably get really mad if I was the last pick and got all the blame afterwords if my team lost at whatever sport.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
In my case where my athletic prowess hit me late, nowadays when I get picked last, I show them how much more worth I am.
halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

[QUOTE="Darthkaiser"]Worst part....they blame the last pickedjulian_jr
I've never experienced that before, however that must suck. I'd probably get really mad if I was the last pick and got all the blame afterwords if my team lost at whatever sport.

in my experience, the last pick is often a major part why a team loses, however thats y they r last pick

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
I never understood why people cared.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 julian_jr
I never understood why people cared.Overlord93
It's a pride thing to some people. You never want to be last.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
[QUOTE="Overlord93"]I never understood why people cared.julian_jr
It's a pride thing to some people. You never want to be last.

oh right, I was always last so I guess it never affected me :P
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

Just lately I was picked towards the last in ultimate frisbee... The other team's captain and big bafoon best friend kept calling me out and saying how unathletic and unmanly I was... Needlessly to say I defended one goal successfully and scored 3 of 7 of my team's goals. Oh, and the other team only scored once.

;)

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

I used to get picked first for most things to be honest.

Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts
Never happened to me.. I'm always one of the first ones to get picked..
carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

I like to think I'm pretty good at sports so if I get picked last I make sure to play really well with what ever sport we play

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts

I'm first to be picked last.

knightseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 knightseason
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts

Its like the saying goes "leave the best till last".

I was always picked quite early on.

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 jimy1475
Member since 2008 • 1228 Posts

i remember when i played football i got like 5 times the last spot, but after some time i learned that im good at being a goalkeeper, after that people pick me up not the last

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Depends what they're picking.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Well it makes me feel bad but it's understandable.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I have never been picked last; why would I be? ...so I do not have an answer to your question. It would probably make me think long and hard about my 'value' in life though.
marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

It never really bothered me. All throughout my life, whenever people picked teams, I was always one of the last to be picked. Never really bothered me too much because I completely understood. I suck at sports.

I don't even like sports, period. I was always forced to play so I guess it bothered me more that I had to play in the first place. Thank goodness those days are over. :)

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Not anymore, but it used to. Now if I'm picked last for something, I think it's cool that I'm that one guy nobody wants to be, just whatever...

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
I used to get picked like middle of the pack and that made me really mad. Now I haven't played a pick up game in forever but I am sure I would get picked nice and early.
lexika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lexika
Member since 2009 • 873 Posts
I'm the same way for soccer and volleyball just becaue I'm short and well, kind of more chubby now.
hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

Jolt_counter119

I know how that feels man, it had never happened to me but when i started highschool it happened quite a few times

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
I never had that problem since I was usually the biggest kid.
-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

I guess it depends on the situation, if I don't know anyone than no. But if I do know them and I'm close to the people picking than yeah it kind of sucks :( but I usually don't like team sports, I prefer individual ones :P

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
Not at all. I find it motivating.
Golden_Ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Golden_Ace
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts

I'm terrible at team sports so yeah I always get picked last. Although when it is science practical time, then I'm in demand :D .