If you are a genuinely nice but shy guy

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 derekjeter2005
Member since 2005 • 1524 Posts
And you're in college but you're still out their own your own with no true friends yet, would it be hard to get a girlfriend? I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality? (but you have no problem talking to other people if they talk to you first)
hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
It'll be tough if you don't talk to people and interact. How else would anyone know that you are a nice guy?
Crypto138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#3 Crypto138
Member since 2005 • 1672 Posts
You remind me of me.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
It will happen if it will happen but its always more fun to start things. With the way you're going right now -- you're going to be the submissive one in the relationship. But if you're okay with that -- you will make some alpha female very happy if she gives you the time of day.
jmg128thinfrgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jmg128thinfrgt
Member since 2006 • 793 Posts
Yes very hard indeed. But lucky you I've got a 5 step guide on getting a Girlfriend in College if you are a genuinely nice but shy guy. It will be sold in your local bookstore in like a week, after I get rid of this little lawsuit but yeah keep an eye out for it : )
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 derekjeter2005
thing is that once you get to know me I'm anything but submissive, it just seems that way from the outside because I don't really feel comfortable with people until I've been around them long enough.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
You just described my pathetic life. I'm just going to class, playing some games, eating, watching sports, and sleeping. I'm always happy and outgoing when I visit my friends on weekends now and then.
6_volts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 6_volts
Member since 2008 • 5520 Posts
It'll be tough if you don't talk to people and interact. How else would anyone know that you are a nice guy?hokies1313
Exactly what I was going to say^^
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

thing is that once you get to know me I'm anything but submissive, it just seems that way from the outside because I don't really feel comfortable with people until I've been around them long enough. derekjeter2005

I know how you feel >.>

derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 derekjeter2005
You just described my pathetic life. I'm just going to class, playing some games, eating, watching sports, and sleeping. I'm always happy and outgoing when I visit my friends on weekends now and then.Nifty_Shark
its the EXACT same thing with me. No lie, I do the EXACT same thing. I only really get excited to see my old friends from HS during breaks. In college, its so weird, not only do I feel afraid to open up because I want to protect myself, but I also think that a lot of people are fake and judgemental so I protect myself, cause I know if I take their abuse it'll end up bringing out the worst in me
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Well I don't know or care if I'm a "nice" guy by most people's standards, most people don't know **** about anything.

I'm not shy, but I do carry a loner type persona. I don't hate people (Used to be on that self destructive path, got off my highhorse a long time ago, despire my previous comment suggesting otherwise), but I can go without them and I can blend in with them.

A lot of women have said I'm attractive, "hot", or good looking, and I work out to improve my image (Well, OK, I actually work out so I can get into the military easier and perform better at my job, which involves both taking care of Marines and also shooting the bad guys) and I act cordial around most people, and if you get rid of the shyness factor, get out a little bit, find some people to hang with (Easy enough with colleges having groups for everything from entertainment to serious study), and don't hide in a shell, women will enjoy your company, and you'll find women who are like you. But since I'm not into any of that pairing up stuff all that much I never pay it any mind.

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
You just described my pathetic life. I'm just going to class, playing some games, eating, watching sports, and sleeping. I'm always happy and outgoing when I visit my friends on weekends now and then.Nifty_Shark
I'll be honest, this sorta sounds like me. I usually go to class, play some games, eat, watch sports, sleep and study. I do however have a couple friends here, and we hang out. Just find a few people you have stuff in common with, and hang out. This will open things up.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
And you're in college but you're still out their own your own with no true friends yet, would it be hard to get a girlfriend? I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality? (but you have no problem talking to other people if they talk to you first)derekjeter2005
If thats you, you should probably think about stepping up your game. Contrary to what your mom told you, shyness is not an attractive feature in guys. Sure there will always be that one girl who has a fetish for shy guys, and if you want to bet your life on pure chance, then I guess you can stay like that :? My suggestion would be to dig real deep for a pair and approach a girl :D
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 derekjeter2005
[QUOTE="derekjeter2005"]And you're in college but you're still out their own your own with no true friends yet, would it be hard to get a girlfriend? I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality? (but you have no problem talking to other people if they talk to you first)II_Seraphim_II
If thats you, you should probably think about stepping up your game. Contrary to what your mom told you, shyness is not an attractive feature in guys. Sure there will always be that one girl who has a fetish for shy guys, and if you want to bet your life on pure chance, then I guess you can stay like that :? My suggestion would be to dig real deep for a pair and approach a girl :D

the problem is that I've done that. I opened up to girls and was friends with them but with all of them what ended up happening is that I could not sustain that fake outgoingness and went back to my natural shy state. see what I mean? its just not natural to start acting like something you're not. and why do people put so much into "growing a pair and putting on a false personna to score"? I'll never understand it :(
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
It'll be tough if you don't talk to people and interact. How else would anyone know that you are a nice guy?hokies1313
Agreed. It's tough, but if you want more immediate results/action, you're going to have to put yourself out there a bit. I know it's tough, though... I'm very shy myself.
elblanquito_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 elblanquito_81
Member since 2007 • 4356 Posts

its the EXACT same thing with me. No lie, I do the EXACT same thing. I only really get excited to see my old friends from HS during breaks. In college, its so weird, not only do I feel afraid to open up because I want to protect myself, but I also think that a lot of people are fake and judgemental so I protect myself, cause I know if I take their abuse it'll end up bringing out the worst in me derekjeter2005
One thing you're going to realize sooner or later is that people in college are much more tolerant and accepting than kids in h.s. It's such a different atmosphere there. So many students not just from around the country, but around the world. Different cultures, ethnicities, personalities, all mixed in together. Not easy for people to really stand out like they did in h.s. For the ones who thrived on being popular then, it's a bit of a shock to the system when they get to college. So don't assume people are going to come across as fake, or posers, to fit in. Because in college, there's no one to suck up to in order to fit, to be part of an "in crowd", because there really is none. No one really gives a **** about that because that doesn't matter anymore at this level. You can be who you are and not worry what people will think of you because chances are high there's a lot more people like you than you think. And even if there isn't (which is unlikely) you'll be hard-pressed to find people that'll shun you because of who you are. 

I know it may seem hard, but really, just try and chat with some of your *****mates. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to make friends there. 

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
You`re pretty much exactly like my fiance was when i met him. Took me less than a week to be head over heels for him, so hell no dude, you`re set for life. Just try your best to talk to people. Don`t just talk to a bunch of girls, if you have an interest in one, focus on her so she doesn`t assume you`re a player and your caring/genuine niceness doesn't go to waste.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="derekjeter2005"]And you're in college but you're still out their own your own with no true friends yet, would it be hard to get a girlfriend? I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality? (but you have no problem talking to other people if they talk to you first)derekjeter2005

the problem is that I've done that. I opened up to girls and was friends with them but with all of them what ended up happening is that I could not sustain that fake outgoingness and went back to my natural shy state. see what I mean? its just not natural to start acting like something you're not. and why do people put so much into "growing a pair and putting on a false personna to score"? I'll never understand it :(

Its not about starting a false persona. Girls can tell when you are being fake. You actually have to change yourself to be more confident.You need to be able to start a conversation with any person at any time. Go out tomorrow to the park or something and talk to strangers. Start with guys since you wont have the "omg..she is hot...what am I gonna do!?" factor. Just find someone sitting down and ask a simple question. Say something like "excuse me sir, do you know where blah blah blah is?" It may not seem like much, but the fact that you have approached a perfect stranger and started a conversation, no matter how small and irrelavent is a huge step.
Once you do that for a while, you can try sparking longer conversations with people. The easiest way is to go to a library and if you see someone checking out a book, ask if its any good. Once they reply, ask what other books they would recommend and what their favorite novels/authors/genres are. People like talking about themselves, so it should be easy. Once thats all said and done, you can try talking to members of the opposite sex. And getting comfortable with talking with them. Being shy never reliably got anyone girls, unless the guy was a millionaire in the first place. A girl might like you, but if you dont make a move, she sure as hell wont (at least 99% of the time) so she will wait, and eventually give up on you and move on to some other guy.
Another piece of advice, if you want to get into a romantic relationship with a girl, don't be her friend. She has enough guy friends. You need to make it known from the get-go that you aren't just another friend and that you are actually interested. I personally think its alot easier to come from stranger to lover than friend to lover. Heck, I would rather be enemy, than friend! The friend zone is a dead end 9/10 times. If you guys are enemies, atleast you can try to patch things up, and show her you arent all that bad and get her to like you. If you guys are friends, she already likes you alot, just not in the way you want. She will see you as a brother type figure rather than a potential lover :?
IrishPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IrishPunk
Member since 2003 • 10150 Posts
And you're in college but you're still out their own your own with no true friends yet, would it be hard to get a girlfriend? I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality? (but you have no problem talking to other people if they talk to you first)derekjeter2005
1) Get some friends. Having a girlfriend without a few good buddies is a horrible idea. 2) If you need to convince yourself you have everything, you don't. You're missing one of the most important things girls like by being sociable. You need to get out and more involved with things. Even if you don't party, joining some clubs or whatever goes a long way.
FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts
:cry:That's exactly me too. I don't know many people here, but i go home every two weekends and hang out with my HS friends. Luckily, most of them are coming here next year.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
The first step is to not care what people think of you. I mean strangers. Who the hell cares what the doofy guy in the back thinks of you. Once you stop caring about that it'll be easier to start conversations, or at least participating in one. I have no problems jumping in on someone else's conversation in which I wasn't involved in. Most girls aren't going to come after you unless they know you're fun and interesting. If you sit there all quiet-like then people will think you just don't want anyone talking to you.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Social deficiencies are the WORST trait to have when it comes to gaining friends and mates. THE WORST.

Sure, you could be ugly. But ugly people have absolutely no problem finding ugly women. You could be a dirtbag. But every time you turn on the news and see that a bank robber or serial killer got caught, you also notice that he either got arrested at his hot girlfriend's house, or actually got his hot wife to help him commit his crimes. You could be poor. But in college it's pretty standard for people to live on ramen noodles because they're broke as ****, so that shouldn't hurt you too much either.

But if you're not assertive enough and confident enough to initiate social interactions and then follow through with it, you're gonna have problems. BIG problems that last you the rest of your life. And that extends way beyond getting a girlfriend, that's the kind of stuff that can hurt the quality of your entire life.

LOTS of people are "nice". But being nice by itself doesn't get anyone anywhere. Humans are a social species, and it is SOCIALIZATION that opens doors for us. Not being "nice". DOGS are "nice" too. And everyone is nice to dogs and nobody wants to be mean to dogs. But they're not people. So most people don't treat them like people, we treat them like dogs.

Example...ever watched the movie Bubba Ho-Tep? In this movie, Elvis  Presley is a very old man living in a retirement nursing home. He's bedridden for most of the day, he's frail and weak, and he's old as hell. Sure, he's NICE. He's very nice. But one of the more promiscuous nurses thinks nothing of using his room to change clothes while The King is clearly awake. Not because she WANTS The King to see her booty. But because in her mind, he's not even quite human. His **** doesn't work, he's too frail to assault her, and he's too nice to make any kinds of complaints. He is harmless and impotent and nonthreatening. And stripping in front of him is no more harmful or damaging than your DOG seeing you naked.

That's what "nice" gets you. You become a dog. Sure, people "like you", but they don't like you in the sense that they like PEOPLE. They like you in the same way that they like a DOG or a cute little kitten stranded on the side of the road. Most people will try not to be mean to you. Because you are being DEFINED by your niceness, and being mean to you because you're weak would be like walking up to a puppy and kicking it in the face. That's what being nice like that ensures you. A future of people being nice to you, while treating you like a dog. 

Now, once again, don't get me wrong. It is GOOD to be nice. But you have to be a PERSON first and foremost, and then qualify that by being a NICE person. Be assertive and outgoing and sociable, and people will define you as a human being. Then, whether or not you're nice can determine whether or not people determine you to be the best person ever, or just a total jerk. But you NEED to be sociable and outgoing. You CAN'T expect friends and women to throw themselves at you just because you're nice, because that won't happen. Being ONLY nice doesn't get you ****, it just makes you a dog that everyone is nice to. But just because they're nice to you doesn't mean that they want to hang out with you or have sex with you. You need to be nice AND sociable. 

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="derekjeter2005"]And you're in college but you're still out their own your own with no true friends yet, would it be hard to get a girlfriend? I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality? (but you have no problem talking to other people if they talk to you first)MrGeezer

Social deficiencies are the WORST trait to have when it comes to gaining friends and mates. THE WORST.

Sure, you could be ugly. But ugly people have absolutely no problem finding ugly women. You could be a dirtbag. But every time you turn on the news and see that a bank robber or serial killer got caught, you also notice that he either got arrested at his hot girlfriend's house, or actually got his hot wife to help him commit his crimes. You could be poor. But in college it's pretty standard for people to live on ramen noodles because they're broke as ****, so that shouldn't hurt you too much either.

But if you're not assertive enough and confident enough to initiate social interactions and then follow through with it, you're gonna have problems. BIG problems that last you the rest of your life. And that extends way beyond getting a girlfriend, that's the kind of stuff that can hurt the quality of your entire life.

LOTS of people are "nice". But being nice by itself doesn't get anyone anywhere. Humans are a social species, and it is SOCIALIZATION that opens doors for us. Not being "nice". DOGS are "nice" too. And everyone is nice to dogs and nobody wants to be mean to dogs. But they're not people. So most people don't treat them like people, we treat them like dogs.

Example...ever watched the movie Bubba Ho-Tep? In this movie, Elvis  Presley is a very old man living in a retirement nursing home. He's bedridden for most of the day, he's frail and weak, and he's old as hell. Sure, he's NICE. He's very nice. But one of the more promiscuous nurses thinks nothing of using his room to change clothes while The King is clearly awake. Not because she WANTS The King to see her booty. But because in her mind, he's not even quite human. His **** doesn't work, he's too frail to assault her, and he's too nice to make any kinds of complaints. He is harmless and impotent and nonthreatening. And stripping in front of him is no more harmful or damaging than your DOG seeing you naked.

That's what "nice" gets you. You become a dog. Sure, people "like you", but they don't like you in the sense that they like PEOPLE. They like you in the same way that they like a DOG or a cute little kitten stranded on the side of the road. Most people will try not to be mean to you. Because you are being DEFINED by your niceness, and being mean to you because you're weak would be like walking up to a puppy and kicking it in the face. That's what being nice like that ensures you. A future of people being nice to you, while treating you like a dog. 

Now, once again, don't get me wrong. It is GOOD to be nice. But you have to be a PERSON first and foremost, and then qualify that by being a NICE person. Be assertive and outgoing and sociable, and people will define you as a human being. Then, whether or not you're nice can determine whether or not people determine you to be the best person ever, or just a total jerk. But you NEED to be sociable and outgoing. You CAN'T expect friends and women to throw themselves at you just because you're nice, because that won't happen. Being ONLY nice doesn't get you ****, it just makes you a dog that everyone is nice to. But just because they're nice to you doesn't mean that they want to hang out with you or have sex with you. You need to be nice AND sociable. 

WOOT! sumone who understands! Thank you MrGeezer :D
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 derekjeter2005
Sorry MrGeezer, but I'm of the opinion that you don't need to be SOCIABLE to be successful. I mean I have a 4.0gpa in college and am in the honors program and I can interact ok in a professional environment. thats because its easy because there are things that need to be said. in a social enviornment I draw blanks, I don't know what to say and usually I'm down in the dumps and I sound very apathetic about everything. I think its a bit of a stretch to say that
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

MrGeezer
You always have the most insightful things to say. I would agree with you that just being nice can get you on the same level as a dog. I've experienced that so many times already. It's something I'm getting out of so that's always good. :)
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts
kindof seem like me. i lost contact with alot of people in my high school :( excpet for one person.. i see a couple around town once in a blue moon but there off to college. i dont have the money for it. :(
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 derekjeter2005

and you know... maybe its because I see so much benefit from being a well spoken person in the professional world. I see salary and employment opportunity. in a social environment I only see the promise of rejection for being weird or uncool.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
wow we are the same guy..
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58411 Posts

dude, you are exactly like me.

As for what to do, just take any chance you can get. Two of my girlfriends were lab partners. Three I met at work. You dont have to meet girls in a strictly social atmosphere.

Just take any chance you can to create a friendship with anyone, and if you like the person well enough develop it into more serious, romantic things. You'll eventually get over your lone wolf mentality (I am still extremely shy though lol).

derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 derekjeter2005
[QUOTE="derekjeter2005"]And you're in college but you're still out their own your own with no true friends yet, would it be hard to get a girlfriend? I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality? (but you have no problem talking to other people if they talk to you first)nimatoad2000

good to see someone can relate! I don't really trust these other guys cause they don't relate :D
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"][QUOTE="derekjeter2005"]And you're in college but you're still out their own your own with no true friends yet, would it be hard to get a girlfriend? I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality? (but you have no problem talking to other people if they talk to you first)derekjeter2005

good to see someone can relate! I don't really trust these other guys cause they don't relate :D

We can relate, I used to be the shy guy too, but I wised up and got over it. Nothing in life is free, and if you want results you have to work for them. You can opt to not change and hope that some girl will amazingly use her psychic powers to realize that you are a nice guy without even talking with you, or you can step up and make things happen for you. You have to realize that if you like a girl, someone else probably does too, and while you are sitting in a corner brooding, he'll be asking her out :(
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer

Sorry MrGeezer, but I'm of the opinion that you don't need to be SOCIABLE to be successful. I mean I have a 4.0gpa in college and am in the honors program and I can interact ok in a professional environment. thats because its easy because there are things that need to be said. in a social enviornment I draw blanks, I don't know what to say and usually I'm down in the dumps and I sound very apathetic about everything. I think its a bit of a stretch to say thatderekjeter2005

That's fine. That also depends on what kind of job you're thinking of having for the rest of your life. If you want a job that doesn't really require you to be social and outgoing, then I'm sure you'll do fine professionally. But if you want a job that really requires you to be a "people's person", then being "shy" and "a loner" can close all sorts of jobs for you.

I'm not saying that having that kind of personality is definitely killing your career before it even begins, but IT CAN BE. Depends on what you want to do.

But if you can't even have the nerve to initiate contact with a woman, when the worst thing that can happen is that she turns you down, then you're probably not the person I'd want to trust to make a big business deal with a huge important client when the worst that could happen is that you cost the company a lot of money and end up getting fired.

The question I think you should ask yourself is, "what's the worst that could happen"?

Worst that can happen when you ask a girl out is that she turns you down. No big deal. Go watch a movie and get over it. Worst that can happen when you let social stress get in control of your job is that you can lose your job, cost the company money, and cause other people to lose their jobs. Some jobs are absolutely not suited for ANYONE who is too shy to even get a girlfriend.

Now, once again, that may not be the case for you. For all I know, depending on your chosen career, social interaction might pretty much be a non-issue. But that depends on what career you want to have. Some careers are absolutely not for loners. 

Avatar image for deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
deactivated-605ba7fd6332a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
Member since 2005 • 12039 Posts

My God. It is like you see into the very depths of my soul. :| Absolutely serious here. :|

I appreciate you posting this (and the people who replied) because the exchanges that went on really make me think about my own life . . . some of the things said mirror my world nearly perfectly.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
"If you are a genuinely nice and shy guy..." you are doomed. I know this from experience.
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 derekjeter2005
[QUOTE="uhoh_hotdogs"]

My God. It is like you see into the very depths of my soul. :| Absolutely serious here. :|

I appreciate you posting this (and the people who replied) because the exchanges that went on really make me think about my own life . . . some of the things said mirror my world nearly perfectly.

I'm happy too because I've gotten advice from a lot of different people. really glad to see there's people out there in my predicament. I've been in it for the past five years
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts
I mean how hard would it be if you've got everything that a girl looks for (attentiveness, caring, good looks) but you're just so shy and have a kind of lone wolf mentality?derekjeter2005
Why are you shy if you believe you have everything a girl looks for? I'll tell you why -- because nobody has everything a girl looks for, except one that loves you maybe. But then how will a girl love you if they don't even know you because you're to shy to open up? There is only one thing that each and every girl wants and that is confidence. Confidence in yourself shows to people that you have something that can be of value to them. You are not 'genuinely' nice by the way. It is just the only way you know how to interact with people. Nice is not a bad thing and sure people will like you, but they will not like you for being YOU.
its just not natural to start acting like something you're not. and why do people put so much into "growing a pair and putting on a false personna to score"? I'll never understand it :(derekjeter2005
Because shyness is not a personality trait. It is a state of mind influenced by social anxiety and low self esteem. By being outgoing you aren't faking anything. In fact you are being yourself even more because you are actually putting yourself out there and showing people who you really are inside instead of being an impenetrable wall of bitterness and misanthropy.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="uhoh_hotdogs"]

derekjeter2005

I'm happy too because I've gotten advice from a lot of different people. really glad to see there's people out there in my predicament. I've been in it for the past five years

For what it's worth, I've been "in that predicament" for basically my whole life. By the time I reached the age of about 20, I just pretty much resigned myself to the idea that that is who I am, that I will never be willing to make the change necesary to become someone else, and that that's who I will always be. Then, by the time I reached the age of about 22, I just plain no longer gave a flying ****.

Behaviour often dicates desire, not the other way around. You can spend years shovelling poop hoping that you one day become rich so that you can stop shovelling poop. Fast forward to 15 years in the future, when you've won the lottery. You no longer have to shovel poop to make a living, and you quit your job shovelling poop. But while you're living comfortably in your expensive mansion, you find yourself having desires to go back to shovelling poop every time you smell the stank that enters your nose whenever you take your prized award winning poodle out to do its business. 

Ever watched The Shawshank Redemption? For YEARS, Red said the **** that he thought he needed to say in order to get paroled. By the time he finally did get paroled, he was wishing that he was back in prison. Because prison was all that he knew, it was where he had a certain level of comfort, and everything else was sort of scary. He always wanted to be free. But once he was free, he had been in prison for so long that prison was truly where he BELONGED. He became "institutionalized".

And as someone who has been EXACTLY where you are, let me tell you that you can become "institutionalized" to loneliness and sadness. It is possible for that to become "normal", so much so that social contact actually HURTS. Frankly, these days I don't really give a **** any more, and I'm comfortable with the level of social interaction that I have. Occasionally, I wish that I had good friends, a loving wife, and awesome children. But the second I have to socially interact with people, I feel extremely uncomfortable. Minimum human contact is extremely unpleasant for me, and can become painful, and I keep finding myself retreating into my "loner zone", despite the fact that I used to desperately want to get out of the loner zone. I've been "institutionalized" just like Red. I've allowed this to be who and what I am, and I am old enough that I no longer really care enough to make any changes.

As I said, behaviour dictates desires. Be a solitary anti-social loner for long enough, and eventually that will become the only thing that pleases you. Be a jerk for long enough and you will surpass the date by which you can stop being a jerk. Bite your fingernails for long enough, and you will ALWAYS have a need to bite your fingernails, and failing to bite your fingernails will be painful. Behaviour dictates desires.

You are at the five year mark. I think it's time to evaluate the degree to which you CARE about being sociable. Because with each passing year, it's gonna get harder to become more sociable. And with each passing year, you're going to more and more start to find yourself thinking that you frankly don't give a **** enough to make the effort to be more sociable. Now is the time to decide whether or not you are comfortable spending the rest of your life being shy and lonely, and whether or not it's worth the effort to change. Changing will be hard, and it's up to you to decide if that's worth the effort. But rest assured, if you keep this up, eventually it'll be too late to go back. Eventually you just won't give a ****, and that'll provide the foundation for the rest of your life. So decide soon, because five years is a long time. You live like this for 5 years, what's to stop you from living like that for another three? Then you're approaching 10 years, and by that time any kind of change becomes difficult as hell, REGARDLESS of how much you want it.

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
You're screwed. Girls like douchebags. Its a fact. Look it up.
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 derekjeter2005
I mean if girls can't see by my actions trying to get to the top and make a lot of money that I have confidence in myself then I don't know what to say, I guess they're just not very good at judging confidence. and by your definition personality traits are not personality traits. they're just states of mind influenced by family, pop culture and media. honestly if no one ever told you to socialize or put you in a social environment, you'd think it was normal to be alone. Thomas Hobbes was correct in saying that human beings are worlds unto themselves. Really why is anyone even here at gamespot? just think about it...
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

I mean if girls can't see by my actions trying to get to the top and make a lot of money that I have confidence in myself then I don't know what to say, I guess they're just not very good at judging confidence. derekjeter2005

There is a difference between confidence in ones self and being power hungry. You described power hungry actions (making lots of money and wanting to climb to the top). Most girls can actually tell the difference -- (I personally find it attractive to an extent -- key words there is to an extent).

It is possible to be power hungry and still lack confidence. That usually leads to someone who is destructive with their power hunger as they don't have the confidence to think that they can keep rising/stay in power and are usually the ones who rise to power by stepping or destroying others along the way.

derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 derekjeter2005
it seems pretty "power hungry" to make a move on a girl with full intention of initiating a relationship. If you don't do this you are weak so therefore you must be power hungry to want to do this because power is the opposite of weakness. you're adding this sort of negative connotation to desire for success. all I'm saying is that it takes a lot of confidence to negotiate your way through the american education system (what with expensive loans, standardized testing, the temptation to procrastinate). Not everyone can do it. The way I see it, the people who don't make it to the top lack self confidence more than the people who do because they've given up in some way.
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 derekjeter2005
wow... this is really making me think. I hadn't even thought about any of these things when I started this thread :roll:
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Buffalo_Soulja
I mean if girls can't see by my actions trying to get to the top and make a lot of money that I have confidence in myself then I don't know what to say, I guess they're just not very good at judging confidence. and by your definition personality traits are not personality traits. they're just states of mind influenced by family, pop culture and media. honestly if no one ever told you to socialize or put you in a social environment, you'd think it was normal to be alone. Thomas Hobbes was correct in saying that human beings are worlds unto themselves. Really why is anyone even here at gamespot? just think about it... derekjeter2005
You need to stop fooling yourself with this defeatist attitude. This is what people do to convince themselves that they don't need to change and to justify their bad habbits. If it was normal to be alone we wouldn't have love, families or a human race at all. You need to seriously ask yourself what you want from life. The impression I get is that you want a girlfriend but don't want all the hard work that comes with it. Sorry dude but life doesn't just 'happen' to you the way you want it. If you want something you have to make it happen. Why are YOU here at gamespot sharing these feelings? You wouldn't be doing it if you were perfectly content with your current lifestyle.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="derekjeter2005"]I mean if girls can't see by my actions trying to get to the top and make a lot of money that I have confidence in myself then I don't know what to say, I guess they're just not very good at judging confidence. and by your definition personality traits are not personality traits. they're just states of mind influenced by family, pop culture and media. honestly if no one ever told you to socialize or put you in a social environment, you'd think it was normal to be alone. Thomas Hobbes was correct in saying that human beings are worlds unto themselves. Really why is anyone even here at gamespot? just think about it... Buffalo_Soulja
You need to stop fooling yourself with this defeatist attitude. This is what people do to convince themselves that they don't need to change and to justify their bad habbits. If it was normal to be alone we wouldn't have love, families or a human race at all. You need to seriously ask yourself what you want from life. The impression I get is that you want a girlfriend but don't want all the hard work that comes with it. Sorry dude but life doesn't just 'happen' to you the way you want it. If you want something you have to make it happen. Why are YOU here at gamespot sharing these feelings? You wouldn't be doing it if you were perfectly content with your current lifestyle.

So true. TC seems to be afraid of change...he wants all life has to give without working for it :?
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 derekjeter2005

exactly I know I'm not content and although that's not why I'm here at gamestop its good reason to post this thread.

All I'm saying is that the reasoning that girls sense a lack of self confidence from quiet guys is trite to say the least. no one is absolute in their self confidence it would be inhuman. I wasn't even aware that there was a standard barometer for self confidence. and I'm sure that a majority of people are less self confident than they're willing to admit.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="derekjeter2005"]

exactly I know I'm not content and although that's not why I'm here at gamestop its good reason to post this thread.

All I'm saying is that the reasoning that girls sense a lack of self confidence from quiet guys is trite to say the least. no one is absolute in their self confidence it would be inhuman. I wasn't even aware that there was a standard barometer for self confidence. and I'm sure that a majority of people are less self confident than they're willing to admit.

You wanted advice, and you got it. Whether you chose to accept or ignore it is up to u :?
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Buffalo_Soulja
They don't always see being quiet as a lack of confidence, but they are hardly going to know your valuable traits if you're too introverted to show them to people. All confidence does is help sell those valuable traits to people without them having to put the effort into discovering them for themselves. Now you may be able to get a girlfriend if you know her for a long enough time to open up, but this comes back to the idea of just waiting for life to happen to you. You can't put any faith in that.
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 derekjeter2005
the advice is good but in order for me to follow it and be happy that I followed it, it has to make complete sense to me
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
How about gaining some confidence instead? How are you going to cope with a relationship if you're to shy to even make friends?
derekjeter2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 derekjeter2005
I already have friends from HS, close friends. why take the risk?