This topic is locked from further discussion.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

So I have to write a paper about super computers and stuff, and my professor wants us to have a price range of mainframes. Thus, I went on ibm's site to look for that information, as I was on that site a random IM client pops up so I decide to ask the guy on there... Here is our conversation...

Please wait for your IBM representative to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Steven'

you:hello

Steven:Thank you for accepting our chat service. My name is Steven, how may I assist you?

you:about how much is a mainframe?

Steven:that all depends on licening needs and system requirements

Steven:it can go into the millions

you:just a general average price

you:or price range

Steven:from 500k into the millions

Steven:that's the best i can do

you:how many millions? i've heard up to 40mill

Steven:I cannot give a btter answer than i already have

Steven:without any specifics I cannnot even speculate

you:then whats the most expensive?

Steven:I do not know

Steven:This channel does not handle those kinds of configurations

Steven:that is usually done via a architect for a infrastructure like that

you:can u call someone who would know this?

Steven:I cannot do that

you:why dont you have prices listed on this site or i am retarted and can not find it?

Steven:Those are enterprise systems and generally are custom built supporting thousands of users with millions of dollar of software licensed and the configuration varray so much that pricing on the website would be irrelevant

Steven:mainframes are not typical servers they are used by large companies to be the back bone of their entire organization

Steven:hence their set ups can be extremely complicated

Steven:hence that is why pricing is not avaiulable excepts at the higest of levels

you:yea i know that, im just doing a paper on mainframes and I have to find out the price range on them, soooo i figured that i would come to this site for that information...

you:Ya knowI came to this site thinking that I would find prices quite easily since ibm is the biggest computer software/hardware business. Once I realized the prices weren't listed I was simply just going to google it. However, right before I went to google this very IM client pops up, and you ask me "howmay I assist you?" You had me excited for a moment because I thoughtI wouldn't be having to use google, which is something thatI am tryingto avoid.

Steven:I do apologize but pricing on those systems is not available through this channel or our website

you:you are not assiting me in any way steven...google will be in about five minutes...

Steven:I have been as much assistance as I can be

you:now can u explain to me how someone who works for ibm can't even give me an estimate?

Steven:it is because these systems are handled by a specialized team

Steven:and those memebers are not often available

Steven:because of that pricing and requests for it go through a process

you:well then why can't you ask them?

you:don't they have a number for you to call?

Steven:because I do not have access to them

Steven:nothey do not

Steven:like I said there is a process and is intended for end users only

you:i think you are lying to me...

Steven:for project purposes I cannot make any sort of request

Steven:if you need a price forIBM power

Steven:or IBM system X then I can give you a very accurate price

you:i dont need an accurate price just an estimate

Steven:I do not have any pricing documentation at all on those systems

you:im not even buying anything, all im doing is writing a paper about u guys

Steven:I have never even seen a quote for one of those systems

Steven:they are enterprise and the information is considered to be confidential in many ways

Steven:hence I do not have any access to it

you:why?

Steven:once again I do apologize

Steven:Like I said earlier because this how is the process for these systems is

you:i don't understand why must you be so secretive about your prices, everyone knows they are going to be paying in the millions

Steven:It has more to do with how the software stack on this system will priced out as opposed to the actual hardware.

Steven:The prices can vary so much that having a hardware cost is somewhat irrelevant when the software stack on the systems can cost from 10-15 times more than the actual hardware running it

Steven:not too mention how many aprtitions in a virtual environment will be there

Steven:If I even had a partial quote I would email it to give you a sense of the pricing

Steven:but I really do not have no more information than what is on the website

Steven:all I know is that the pricing is heavily dependant on software and resource activition needs by the end user

Steven:hence the people who work on these systems are generally on site with their clients and are usually unavailable hence why it has to go to a process just to have a potetnial custome rreached out to

you:can u tell me "thee" most expensive possible mainframe?

Steven:If I knew the pricing structure I would certainly tell you

Steven:but like I said I have never seen a single quote or price list for that system so like I said in range speculation lowest would 500k and anything else goes into the millions

you:and you can't get in touch with anyone who would know this...?

Steven:no I don't even know who they would be

Steven:this is just a pre sales channel

Steven:and we mostly deal with midmarket customers

you:well you know the lowest...

Steven:that's from a 5 year old z8

Steven:otherwise like I said I ave not seen or have access to any other price information

you:Can you tell me the highest now?

Steven:No I do not have access to that information

you:You had access to the lowest priced mainframe, so why cant you get it for the highest priced one?

you:can u just shout out in the room you are in, asking for an estimate of the highest priced mainframe?

Steven:I am sorry but on this topic I am truly unable to assist any further than I already have.

Steven:That would get me no where because I am the most senior rep on our team with a hardware focus

Steven:just we don't usually deal with mainframe systems

you:hey, you never know someone in there might know the answer

Steven:one moment I am asking

*15 minute wait*

Steven:ok i asked my sales lead

Steven:and he said the sky is the limit because there are to many variables

Steven:how many systems

Steven:software stack sizes

Steven:possible discounts

Steven:number of licensed partitions

you:screw the discounts i want to know how high are we talking here

Steven:These are extremely customiable and scalable systems and I cannot get any sort of ceiling price for you

Steven:I cannot get that information

Steven:I have to the best of my ability answered your questions

you:You didn't answer jack ****! I am just going to google this now since you are completely wasting my time!

Steven:I apologize but I am now ending this chat

Steven:Goodbye and thank you for chatting with us today.

Chat session has been terminated by the IBM representative.

What would you guys would have done in my situation :P

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Sounds like you should just blog that, not post it in the forums.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I would have not wasted the poor guys time asking questions that he has nothing to do with :S

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

I feel sorry for Steven.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Well to be honest, you were being quite unreasonable, the sky is honestly the limit when it comes to mainframes and huge networks. The only way for them to give you a proper quote would be by doing an assessment.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

CHOASXIII
Well.. might get some lulz out of this thread tho.
vTunes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vTunes
Member since 2010 • 60 Posts
More like 'darkmark91 fail'. Sounds like you were being a prick Those were some pretty dumb questions you asked. Sorry to say....
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

Bloodseeker23

Well.. might get some lulz out of this thread tho.

Yeah I know I am just saying that to warn him. Because I have gotten modded for things like that before.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

What a boring read.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Would you take offence if I were to call you a total ass for that exchange?
BestAlarmClock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BestAlarmClock
Member since 2011 • 87 Posts

how is that IBM fail??? If it's not the guy's area then gg

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
I'd say that was fail on your part, and not theirs.
Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ramen1020
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts

tl;dr

But from what i did read you kid of seemed like a douche. The man was just doing his job.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

I feel sorry for Steven.

metroidfood
me too. :(
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

I feel sorry for Steven.

metroidfood
Same here :?
Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
That's a mound of text I am never going to read. >_> It's very...blogerific.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

You do know that Mainframes are practically irrelaeent, outdated, and impractical do to the invention of networking right? A customer support person working at IBM will likely not know too much about the current price about outdated and impractical computer setups that are very rarely still used...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
That made you seem like a super ass.
darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darkmark91

I admit that I was a compleate ars towards the end of the conversation, but really... No one could give me an approximation of the price. Lets say you walk into a Best Buy walk towards the HD TV's and ask someone who works there 'about how much the TV's would cost?' And the guy couldn't give you an answer, not even a guess, all he could say is that it was going to cost $50+. Wouldn't you then get a little mad?

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 metroidfood

I admit that I was a compleate ars towards the end of the conversation, but really... No one could give me an approximation of the price. Lets say you walk into a Best Buy walk towards the HD TV's and ask someone who works there 'about how much the TV's would cost?' And the guy couldn't give you an answer, not even a guess, all he could say is that it was going to cost $50+. Wouldn't you then get a little mad?

darkmark91

That's different. This is like asking "How much does a custom computer cost?" which depends totally on the parts you use for it. He did the best he could given that a mainframe doesn't have a set number of components, software or size and the fact that it wasn't even his department.

Lastemperor28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lastemperor28
Member since 2010 • 63 Posts

darkmark91

No, just no. You didn't give a single specific info on what you wanted on a thing that goes into a wide range of prices, then OF COURSE they're not going to be able to give you an answer.

Second of all, unless you were actually looking to buy it, you just wasted they're valuable time when they could actually be helping ACTUAL customers. You do not go asking a random customer rep for "research."

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
This thread totally backfired on the TC
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

You do know that Mainframes are practically irrelaeent, outdated, and impractical do to the invention of networking right? A customer support person working at IBM will likely not know too much about the current price about outdated and impractical computer setups that are very rarely still used...

DarkGamer007
Oh, that's definitely not true. Mainframes are still used as the backbones as a lot of systems because clusters simply aren't viable for their needs.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Where is the fail?

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darkmark91

[QUOTE="darkmark91"]

metroidfood

That's different. This is like asking "How much does a custom computer cost?" which depends totally on the parts you use for it. He did the best he could given that a mainframe doesn't have a set number of components, software or size and the fact that it wasn't even his department.

It's also like going to a store and asking the price range of something. The guy dosen't know the price so he goes asks someone who would know the price and his response is "the sky is the limit"

And keep in mind I asked for the RANGE, I did not ask for a specific price, all I wanted was an estimate. That man was able to give me the minimum of 500k, so why doesn't anyone know what the possible maximum could be?

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 metroidfood

It's also like going to a store and asking the price range of something. The guy dosen't know the price so he goes asks someone who would know the price and his response is "the sky is the limit"

And keep in mind I asked for the RANGE, I did not ask for a specific price, all I wanted was an estimate. That man was able to give me the minimum of 500k, so why doesn't anyone know what the possible maximum could be?

darkmark91

It's not like going to a store and asking the price range of something. It's like asking how much a building costs, there's no set price it's a contract that they form to build one, and the specifications of that are going to be completely unique to every company that gets one.

Again, he doesn't work on those and he's not going to know a price range because they're contracts between IBM and other companies, they're not sticker prices. He did the best he could giving you a bottom estimate, the only thing a guy in his position could determine is that these things are very expensive.

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
tl;dr I want an IBM autumn.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="darkmark91"]

darkmark91

I feel bad for Steven too... Anyways he gave you the reason why you just refused to listen.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

More like TC fail.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
You're the one that failed TC, it looks like you went out of your way just for the sake of an argument. I'm no expert on mainframes/super computers but I'm guessing the pricing is more complex then your average PC, and it might not be that simple to give you an estimate. Regardless, he said that wasn't his area and that prices were confidential, which is fair enough in my opinion. You were just being really unreasonable.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

"IBM Fail?" How? That's a chat log of you being annoying.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkmark91

Lol I dun goofed. I figured out why he couldn't of given me a price (And it's no thanks to you guys. I just had to do a little more homework on what a mainframe was.) I feel bad now... :(

Do you think if I go back to the IM client he will be there because I kinda want to apologise to him.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
If you really want to make amends the nicest thing you could do for him is to...never...and I mean ever...contact him again.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
Sounds like you dogged the customer sales rep over something that is absolutely outside of his knowledgebase. Way to go, you wasted your time. Why would you expect him to know such a thing?
WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

I feel sorry for Steven.

metroidfood
Me too. He answered what he could, let the poor guy go.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Lol I dun goofed. I figured out why he couldn't of given me a price (And it's no thanks to you guys. I just had to do a little more homework on what a mainframe was.) I feel bad now... :(

Do you think if I go back to the IM client he will be there because I kinda want to apologise to him.

darkmark91

I doubt it, you'll have to live with the guilt for the rest of your life.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I feel sorry for Steven.

metroidfood
:lol: yea
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
this might be fun to talk about, but its more of a blog post.