deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I dont know if this is the best place for advice about this but I decided to ask anyway. So long story short:

There's this beautiful car I've wanted for a couple of years, Alfa Romeo Giulietta, wich is being sold for roughly 14,000€ and there's this other one, less beautiful but ergonomic car for 7,500€.

So, there's the following, I can buy any of them and still have some good money to spare, no problem there, but I was also saving to buy a house someday down the line. So, my question is this: Should I bite the bullet and buy the car I really want for more money yet take longer to save for a house or buy the cheapest car now, wich will do the same job, take less time to save for the house but taking the risk to sell it later at a huge loss in order to buy the car I really want when my finances are more stable for that?

I would apreciate some advice on the matter, thank u in advance

for some context, here are the cars I'm talking about

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Save towards the house; a much better investment. A house is usually an appreciative asset while the car will most likely depreciate in time.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Save it for a house. It's easy to spend, hard to save.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Save for the house, cars cost more than people realize. Parts should be cheaper and labor time is smaller (if you can't fix cars yourself).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I do think the house should come before the car. At least with a house it doesn't lose all its value the second you buy it. Also, to me, buying cars is way more tricky, every dealer I've been to are savages, and a lot are shady.

Cars can become real money pits, I spent so much time helping my Mom, and although she easily afforded the sweet Jeep she got, and we did everything perfect by the manly man's book, we kind of overlooked 5-10 years maintenance, and it was definitely a lot more than what I would have wanted to pay, and she can't use my Dad's mechanic cause its all computerized.

So if you bought a really nice car, and then get a house, and your car has issues, its gonna suck paying for maintenance, especially if the dealers have shitty mechanics, the two Jeep dealers in town, 1 is much nicer and feels less greedy. In hindsight, I bet my Mom wished she opted for a Nissan again, and real happy she didn't opt for something more nicer.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Get the car later. I repeat, do not prioritize the car. Cars are a liability from the moment you own them.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Get the car, no-one is obviously a gearhead here, and its an Alfa.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Which is cheaper to own?

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

Buy audi TTrs.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Be an adult and save for the house.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@Vatusus: Unless you have money to burn, cars should be a 100% pragmatic decision. Some things to consider:

• Don't go on wants and desires, but needs.
  • How far is your commute to work? Do you enjoy long road trips on the weekend?
  • Base your judgement not only on initial cost, estimated maintenance cost per year, mileage (gas is expensive and only going to get worse), and so on (cost of ownership).
  • Is the car comfortable? Do you have family and friends to drive around? Is there storage space?
  • Is the car safe? Would the insurance be more expensive on the Alfa than the other?

Speaking from personal experience, I tend to buy Hondas; they last for >200k miles if you check your fluids and take it in for a 100-dollar check up every 10-15k miles. I've owned mine since 2008 and just last month I had my first problem with it, which isn't even really a problem tbh I just needed to replace a ball joint on it.

Alfa Romeos of late have been seen as unreliable, needing a lot of maintenance. Cars are often built using shared parts, so you should look at Alfa Romeo as a brand, not just the specific car (though you should do that too).

@Vatusus said:

...and there's this other one, less beautiful but ergonomic car for 7,500€.

What is the "other one"? It would be nice to know. At about half the cost, it should be considered.

@GTR12 said:

Don't get the car, it's an Alfa.

I know the appeal to get a "sexy" car is hard to resist but the Alfa costs 2x as much as his other option, and he will get less than 100k miles out of the Alfa. WTF does being a "gearhead" have to do with it, btw? I doubt he is buying this car so he can work on it himself.

Anyway, reviews of the Giulietta have been so-so thus far. Basically, you're paying for the badge and styling of the vehicle; there are better options out there that won't cost you as much.

@plageus900 said:

Be an adult and save for the house.

True but cars help you commute to your job which also helps you buy a home.

But I agree with your sentiment; best to save for a home [by not buying a sub-par car with above-average looks]

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Thanks guys, I apreciate the help. After some consideration I decided to go for the cheapest option. It'll be a while but I'll save towards the house first and get the cheapest car. Maybe later on I can afford a good car easily after getting the house paid fully

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@Vatusus: Buy a Toyota, drive it for 15 years (around the first time it will require anything but an oil change), and then sell it to buy a flying Toyota in the year 2035.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Baconstrip78 said:

@Vatusus: Buy a Toyota, drive it for 15 years (around the first time it will require anything but an oil change), and then sell it to buy a flying Toyota in the year 2035.

My old Prius was a tank. I abused the crap out of that car and I only ever had to replace a water pump after more than a decade. Here's to hoping that my new go-kart will prove equally reliable.

As for the op's question: House > car in terms of priority and investment.

-Byshop

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm sure you already know the more responsible answer. What you are asking for here is permission to live life to it's fullest. If you want to have some fun right now and do the "adulting" later, pick the fun car. If you want the house the most, buy a reasonable car.

However, may I suggest an alternative? You've got easy access to one of the best sleepers on the road:

Fiat Coupe Turbo 20v

155 mph governed top speed, basically a "mini Ferrari". They are available for anywhere from 6,000-10,000 Euros these days, and from what I understand, stupid fun cars. One of my favourites, and a true Pininfarina design.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Always buy American. European cars are unreliable and Japanese cars are boring and rust quickly.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 one_plum

@Sevenizz said:

Always buy American. European cars are unreliable and Japanese cars are boring and rust quickly.

If American cars were actually reliable, they would be dominating the car market in patriotic USA.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Byshop  Moderator

@one_plum said:
@Sevenizz said:

If American cars were actually reliable, they would be dominating the car market in patriotic USA.

If you look at the Consumer Reports list of the most reliable automakers, the first US automaker pops up at #18. Toyota/Lexus top that list.

-Byshop

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12

@one_plum said:
@Sevenizz said:

Don't forget that most are the ugliest vehicles ever designed, and that they suck petrol/gas.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts
@GTR12 said:
@one_plum said:
@Sevenizz said:

Don't forget that most are the ugliest vehicles ever designed, and that they suck petrol/gas.

Definitely would go German for reliability after the Toyotas. VW Group also owns Seat and Skoda for cheaper, more affordable versions of their cars.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 one_plum

@goodzorr said:

Definitely would go German for reliability after the Toyotas. VW Group also owns Seat and Skoda for cheaper, more affordable versions of their cars.

Except for maybe Porsche, I rarely hear about German cars having good reliability. Their replacement parts are also notoriously expensive so repair must be a pain unless if you have money to spend.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@Byshop said:
@Baconstrip78 said:

My old Prius was a tank. I abused the crap out of that car and I only ever had to replace a water pump after more than a decade. Here's to hoping that my new go-kart will prove equally reliable.

-Byshop

Do you have an S?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@Baconstrip78 said:

-Byshop

Do you have an S?

Yeah.

-Byshop

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

House first, always. Everything else are just toys that can wait.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 THUMPTABLE

@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@Baconstrip78 said:

-Byshop

Do you have an S?

Yeah.

-Byshop

They are super expensive here in Aus, what sort of price are they in the US?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Byshop  Moderator

@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

Do you have an S?

Yeah.

-Byshop

For the S they start about 70k USD. Average config with options will run you somewhere between 90-110k.

-Byshop

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 THUMPTABLE

@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

Do you have an S?

Yeah.

-Byshop

For the S they start about 70k USD. Average config with options will run you somewhere between 90-110k.

-Byshop

You didn't mind spending that sort of coin on a car?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Byshop  Moderator

@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

-Byshop

Yeah, it's a bit much but we do alright. There were some other factors, too. I got it back in 2016 and there was a 13.5k tax credit where I lived (today it would still be $8,750). These days I'd recommend a Model 3 if someone's interested.

-Byshop

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

-Byshop

Yeah, it's a bit much but we do alright. There were some other factors, too. I got it back in 2016 and there was a 13.5k tax credit where I lived (today it would still be $8,750). These days I'd recommend a Model 3 if someone's interested.

-Byshop

Duuuuude model 3 is "only" 50-60k according to their website (which you have to order through anyway, right?). That's still a bit steep for me, but a lot more reasonable than I thought it'd be.

I'm tempted. Maybe in five years.

*Not a big fan of that big floating screen in the middle though, really wish it was incorporated into the dash somehow.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Byshop  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

-Byshop

Duuuuude model 3 is "only" 50-60k according to their website (which you have to order through anyway, right?). That's still a bit steep for me, but a lot more reasonable than I thought it'd be.

I'm tempted. Maybe in five years.

*Not a big fan of that big floating screen in the middle though, really wish it was incorporated into the dash somehow.

You can go as low as 42k before incentives (mid range, rear wheel). Federal rebate is another 3,750 off of that, plus any state incentives you might have. Still, not the cheapest car in the world. You'll save a lot in gas though. 260 miles of range costs me about seven fiddy in juice. Plus I'm getting solar on top of that.

The Model 3's screen is a bit odd, but I appreciate its uniqueness. Still, I like having my instrument display in addition to the big screen in the middle on mine. I have a lot of friends who have picked them up though and they love them.

If you have any questions about getting a Tesla or EV in general feel free to make a thread.

-Byshop

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

Car is so dated mean of transportation. It the Highest cause of death out there. Yes it something I do too but I always impress by people who live light and avoid car use.

I know someone who it use train system and a One Wheel. It hardly produce pollution. Car like I say is so dated. Congestion on traffic. You sit and wait day in day out. Pollute pollute pollute. Car only really necessary for road trip or off road travel.

Oh my goodness one day I stop to think about this and let say you work time is 9am to 5pm it bring to my attention just how much time you sit in a car standing still in traffic. It go deeper than that why car is dated I understand this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@x_karen_x said:

Car is so dated mean of transportation. It the Highest cause of death out there. Yes it something I do too but I always impress by people who live light and avoid car use.

I know someone who it use train system and a One Wheel. It hardly produce pollution. Car like I say is so dated. Congestion on traffic. You sit and wait day in day out. Pollute pollute pollute. Car only really necessary for road trip or off road travel.

Oh my goodness one day I stop to think about this and let say you work time is 9am to 5pm it bring to my attention just how much time you sit in a car standing still in traffic. It go deeper than that why car is dated I understand this.

Unfortunately that no option for me. My workplace is outside of town and the public transports that pass there are very sparce in between. I've been dependant on shotgun rides for far too long. Trust me, if I could ride a bycicle to my workplace and avoid buying a car I would do so

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@Vatusus:

It a conundrum. It hard not to be a hypocrite these day. Many people talk in a office about politic but so many time a point trying to be made it mute because they don’t live in such ways.

Nothing wrong with car if you really do need. I just say I live in city area and one look at a road it just too much pollution every which way.

Also I think people mostly do not know how to drive even when they have license. Penalty need to be much higher for breaking traffic law.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 one_plum

@x_karen_x said:

I would agree if it was in the city, but in the suburbs and countryside, especially in North America, the infrastructure is still very much centered around cars; a train map system does not always solve the problem.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 THUMPTABLE

@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

-Byshop

-Byshop

Yes, I am still on the waiting list for the 3.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Byshop  Moderator

@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@Byshop said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

-Byshop

-Byshop

Yes, I am still on the waiting list for the 3.

You can't go wrong with a 3. If I were looking today, I'd probably buy a fully loaded 3 instead of a modestly loaded S, but as is I really like my car. It's bigger than the 3 which is always a plus with two kids, but I have some of the additional options like the rear facing child seats, the retracting sunroof, the high amp charger, the premium upgrades, all heated seats, etc.

-Byshop

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ycdeo

i recommend mercedes S320L. sleek looks.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Do you really need to have a car? If yes, I would say buy the Fiat! The novelty of a new car fades away within a couple of weeks!

For the amount you save, you can buy loads of stuff for your house in the future!

When you buy your own property, there is a zillion things you need to buy! You will appreciate the extra you saved up!

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ycdeo

U should buy a property in Singapore.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@GTR12 said:

Cause car is life.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GTR12

@Bikouchu35 said:
@GTR12 said:

Cause car is life.

Exactly

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts
@kadin_kai said:

The novelty of a new car fades away within a couple of weeks!

buy better cars then :)

last car i bought was in july of last year and it still puts a smile on my face every morning when i get in it. as did the one before that. and the one before that etc