I just saw INCEPTION......

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HaloReachGOTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 HaloReachGOTY
Member since 2010 • 786 Posts

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]

[QUOTE="Fox-Call"]

Good movie, but definitely not the best ever, or even the best this year. (The Social Network)

testfactor888

the social network got a 8.3 with 38,231 votes. inception got a 9.0 with 231,173 votes. (imdb.com). the ppl have spoken. the social network is no where as popular as inception nor is it on the same level.

Are you serious? For one who cares about IMDB ratings considering so many people just post it as a 10 or a 1 some of them without even seeing the movie. On top of that you are trying to say that a 9.0 is that much better than an 8.3? That kind of argument should be reserved for system wars.

no one is going to go out of their way to make an account and to rate a movie they never seen a 1 or a 10. and with 231,173 votes, getting a 9 is HUGE...

HaloReachGOTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 HaloReachGOTY

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

You make good points. Its a fun ride, but its concepts were pretty dopey when you think about them.

testfactor888

have you had a lucid dream before? or waking up within a dream? nolan has done his homework. its not silly at all.

It was indeed pretty silly

then you havnt lucid dreamed before.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]the social network got a 8.3 with 38,231 votes. inception got a 9.0 with 231,173 votes. (imdb.com). the ppl have spoken. the social network is no where as popular as inception nor is it on the same level.

HaloReachGOTY

Are you serious? For one who cares about IMDB ratings considering so many people just post it as a 10 or a 1 some of them without even seeing the movie. On top of that you are trying to say that a 9.0 is that much better than an 8.3? That kind of argument should be reserved for system wars.

no one is going to go out of their way to make an account and to rate a movie they never seen a 1 or a 10. and with 231,173 votes, getting a 9 is HUGE...

Not really huge but ok whatever you say Mr Halo Reach GOTY. People create accounts all the time to troll the IMDB forums so you really think people woulden't create accounts to vote movies down or up?
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]have you had a lucid dream before? or waking up within a dream? nolan has done his homework. its not silly at all.

HaloReachGOTY

It was indeed pretty silly

then you havnt lucid dreamed before.

The further this thread goes the funnier it gets. You really can't allow anyone to have a differing opinion on this movie than the one you have can you? Its juvenile
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#105 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="TheGrayEye"]

Or maybe they just thought the whole concept was a bit silly and farfetched?

Dream security systems (in the form of bald generic bad guys, of course)? (Literal) safes in my dreams that happen to store away my deepest secrets? Being able to trick someone into thinking your someone else, just by acting out their mannerisms (even though the guy is still staring directly at you)?

There were some more things, but it's been awhile so I've forgotten them, but regardless, I didn't really buy any of it. I guess it works if you don't think about the rules Nolan's created too much, but I can't help but notice that it's just not solid.

HaloReachGOTY

You make good points. Its a fun ride, but its concepts were pretty dopey when you think about them.

have you had a lucid dream before? or waking up within a dream? nolan has done his homework. its not silly at all.

Dream security systems with guards and stuff like that is indeed very silly, almost videogamish.

That sort of stuff would have come off as really cool if the movie didn't take itself seriously, but it does, and so it's not.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#106 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

Have you seen a Sci-Fi movie? Humanity connected to virtual reality and being used as bateries sounds silly. Maybe The Matrix should have been a comedy?

It's called suspension of disbelief. If you can't do it don't watch Sci-Fi movies.

Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#107 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts
Can't wait for the blu raycodesrc
I'm watching the blu-ray right now.
HaloReachGOTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 HaloReachGOTY

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Dream security systems with guards and stuff like that is indeed very silly, almost videogamish.

That sort of stuff would have come off as really cool if the movie didn't take itself seriously, but it does, and so it's not.

lol its a sci fi. is dream security really the craziest idea out there? then i can name a bunch of movies that are just nonsence and beyond videogamish

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

the social network got a 8.3 with 38,231 votes. inception got a 9.0 with 231,173 votes. (imdb.com). the ppl have spoken. the social network is no where as popular as inception nor is it on the same level.

HaloReachGOTY

You're citing IMDB as if it's credible.

If you want to play that game..

The Social Network - 97%/9.0 Average Rating

Inception - 87%/8.0 Average Rating

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 GreySeal9

Have you seen a Sci-Fi movie? Humanity connected to virtual reality and being used as bateries sounds silly. Maybe The Matrix should have been a comedy?

It's called suspension of disbelief. If you can't do it don't watch Sci-Fi movies.

GeneralShowzer

Well, I do think sci-fi is pretty bad for the most part.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#111 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]the social network got a 8.3 with 38,231 votes. inception got a 9.0 with 231,173 votes. (imdb.com). the ppl have spoken. the social network is no where as popular as inception nor is it on the same level.

sammyjenkis898

You're citing IMDB as if it's credible.

If you want to play that game..

The Social Network - 97%/9.0 Average Rating

Inception - 87%/8.0 Average Rating

And what makes RT more credible than Imdb? It's just opinions of people.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]have you had a lucid dream before? or waking up within a dream? nolan has done his homework. its not silly at all.

HaloReachGOTY

lol its a sci fi. is dream security really the craziest idea out there? then i can name a bunch of movies that are just nonsence and beyond videogamish

Well, I didn't say it's the craziest out there. I just think its sort of dopey, even by sci-fi standards. And it took itself so damn seriously.

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
One of the best but not THE best.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#114 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I was underwhelmed by it. After seeing the trailers, I thought I was in for more of a psychological thriller with a grand scope. They got the second part right.. kind of. Besides Dicaprio, the characters were uninteresting. The core of the entire film was this "love" story between Dicaprio and Cotillard, which I grew tired of more and more as the film went by. I also didn't understand why Page's character was so obsessed with that whole side of Dicaprio. Nolan still can't shoot action. That sequence with Dicaprio running away from the men in the beginning was incoherent. It was hard to tell what was even going on. It had an awesome action sequence, but aside from that I didn't find much to like about it. I don't know how the film is "complex."sammyjenkis898

Ariadne was interested in it because she wanted to know how emotionally affecting it was to Cobb's conscience. She knew that he was jeopardising the mission by hiding something emotional that could emerge and disrupt the dream worlds. They would be stuck in limbo too if those dreams collapsed because of that.

TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="TheGrayEye"]

Or maybe they just thought the whole concept was a bit silly and farfetched?

Dream security systems (in the form of bald generic bad guys, of course)? (Literal) safes in my dreams that happen to store away my deepest secrets? Being able to trick someone into thinking your someone else, just by acting out their mannerisms (even though the guy is still staring directly at you)?

There were some more things, but it's been awhile so I've forgotten them, but regardless, I didn't really buy any of it. I guess it works if you don't think about the rules Nolan's created too much, but I can't help but notice that it's just not solid.

HaloReachGOTY

He did his homework in relation to the things I mentioned? How did he do that, did he go inside his friends dreams one night and experience all of this stuff? Or did he just come up with it so he can have an excuse to make an action movie in which two guys can fight in zero gravity?

Like I said, I think the people who really love Inception, are actually the ones who are NOT thinking too hard about it, specifically in regard to the rules and world Nolan has established here (though they many be quite analytical in regards to the ending theories and other such elements).

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#116 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

TheGrayEye

He did his homework in relation to the things I mentioned? How did he do that, did he go inside his friends dreams one night and experience all of this stuff? Or did he just come up with it so he can have an excuse to make an action movie in which two guys can fight in zero gravity?

Like I said, I think the people who really love Inception, are actually the ones who are NOT thinking too hard about it, specifically in regard to the rules and world Nolan has established here (though they many be quite analytical in regards to the ending theories and other such elements).

There are stacks of essays relating to film and time which I am certain Nolan used. My lecturer frequently referenced Inception in her classes. Look up the author Gilles Deleuze
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 TheGrayEye

GeneralShowzer

Sci-fi is probably my favorite film genre, but I think Inception tipped a whole more to the fantasy side of the scale, than it did legitimate science fiction.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

Inception isn't even in the running for that title. It was a decent film, at best, and Nolan has done much better in the past.

TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 TheGrayEye

[QUOTE="TheGrayEye"]

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]have you had a lucid dream before? or waking up within a dream? nolan has done his homework. its not silly at all.

biggest_loser

There are stacks of essays relating to film and time which I am certain Nolan used. My lecturer frequently referenced Inception in her classes. Look up the author Gilles Deleuze

I'm sure the film has several components which are actually quite consistent with what the scientific consensus is in regards to some aspects of actual dreaming, such as maybe the slower sense of time within the dream.

But I really doubt that in the case of some of the other elements I mentioned (dream security guards...).

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Superb film, but not even close to being the best ever made.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]I was underwhelmed by it. After seeing the trailers, I thought I was in for more of a psychological thriller with a grand scope. They got the second part right.. kind of. Besides Dicaprio, the characters were uninteresting. The core of the entire film was this "love" story between Dicaprio and Cotillard, which I grew tired of more and more as the film went by. I also didn't understand why Page's character was so obsessed with that whole side of Dicaprio. Nolan still can't shoot action. That sequence with Dicaprio running away from the men in the beginning was incoherent. It was hard to tell what was even going on. It had an awesome action sequence, but aside from that I didn't find much to like about it. I don't know how the film is "complex."biggest_loser

Ariadne was interested in it because she wanted to know how emotionally affecting it was to Cobb's conscience. She knew that he was jeopardising the mission by hiding something emotional that could emerge and disrupt the dream worlds. They would be stuck in limbo too if those dreams collapsed because of that.

That doesn't answer my question. Yeah, I got that. I want to know whyshe desperately wanted to know. It seems like Nolan threw her in for the sole reason of that purpose. In other words, she was a cardboard cutout character, just like the rest of the side characters.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#122 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Dream security systems with guards and stuff like that is indeed very silly, almost videogamish.GreySeal9
I didn't have a problem with that part except for how uninteresting it made all the action sequences when they were fighting a bunch of faceless clones.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#123 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

It was pretty entertaining. Wouldn't watch it again anytime soon though.

It's a shame that it's so unimaginative and rigid (rigid except when the established rules are changed to accommodate the plot :/). Such a great concept was almost entirely wasted...

And Ariadne was an incredibly lame name choice.