I just realised why there are no wars on American soil...

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

The war of 1812. Duh, Mexico invaded U.S. soil.

shoot-first

Ironic post?

deadcell88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 deadcell88
Member since 2009 • 104 Posts
People are just ignorant about America and see facts the way they want to to make them feel good about their country instead of America by saying we can get invaded LOL Not saying we can't but that it'd be sheer brutal for them to try to even get to land and they'd be stretched pretty thin. We have bases everywhere around the world, the most powerful allies (if the attacker wasn't one of them or them against us), the best technology at the same time as having the best soldiers, so many missile defenses, crazy amount of nukes so their country would get nuked if we thought it was getting to a point where we needed to to defend our people. They'd have trouble logistically. We're just in such a perfect spot and it wouldn't be beneficial at all to do an invasion but bad guys can get irrational and either way they'd get pwned. Sorry :P People believe what they want though even if it doesn't make any sense. lol
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#153 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I guess the War of 1812 didn't happen.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts

despite what many people in this thread will say, a full scale invasion of the US would result in possibly the largest insurgency force the world has ever seen. Not saying that we will be invaded ever or that a bunch of NRA guys with hunting rifles can take on trained soldiers but the fact remains that hundreds of thousands of citizens would rather die fighting an invadeing force than live under another countrys flag.

L30KinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 L30KinG
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

Or maybe because it would be piss hard to invade... You could go through Canada or Mexico but I doubt either country would let another army walk on through without a fight. And you can't exactly take a strong military force through either the Pacific or Atlantic without being noticed.

Xeros606

yeah is hard to just get to the us, and besides we';; declare war to any susspicious country thats trying to harm us

stayblazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 stayblazed
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts

If we got invaded and I could just grab my ak and start blasting that would be pretty sick.

Infalk25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Infalk25
Member since 2006 • 30 Posts

Yes, it's due to Americans and their civilian super force. Let's completely disregard the fact Britain hasn't had a war on its soil since medieval times, despite guns being illegal.

KhaosShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#158 KhaosShogun
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts

Yes, it's due to Americans and their civilian super force. Let's completely disregard the fact Britain hasn't had a war on its soil since medieval times, despite guns being illegal.

Infalk25
You probably haven't heard of Operation Sealion, a plan by Hitler to invade the U.K, basically it called for the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine to destroy the RAF and clear the English Channel from the minefield while the Kreigsmarine keeps the Royal Navy occupied from intervening and then sending troops onto the British shores on Dover, Brighton and so on. Pretty much the only reason why the German's never used it was because they could not defeat the Royal Navy, and RAF, when they lost the battle of Britain that ended any chance of Nazi Germany invading the U.K. So basically if the U.K. would have lost the battle of Britain then theoretically WWII would have finally come to the British Isles, if Operation Sealion was launched and Germans were able to get a foothold on the U.K. Mainland.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

[QUOTE="Infalk25"]

KhaosShogun

You probably haven't heard of Operation Sealion, a plan by Hitler to invade the U.K, basically it called for the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine to destroy the RAF and clear the English Channel from the minefield while the Kreigsmarine keeps the Royal Navy occupied from intervening and then sending troops onto the British shores on Dover, Brighton and so on. Pretty much the only reason why the German's never used it was because they could not defeat the Royal Navy, and RAF, when they lost the battle of Britain that ended any chance of Nazi Germany invading the U.K. So basically if the U.K. would have lost the battle of Britain then theoretically WWII would have finally come to the British Isles, if Operation Sealion was launched and Germans were able to get a foothold on the U.K. Mainland.

They did lose that battle though, and there was a good reason why... they had no chance.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
so when the tanks roll in lets see that second ammendment. most americans cant even use their guns properly.. not even store them where there kids cant find it.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

While armed militias can prove effective at hampering a professional military, they don't have a realistic shot at beating one in this day and age. Technology plays a much greater role than it did in earlier times, and infantry training for professional armies tends to be much better as well. Like others have said, small arms aren't going to stop a tank. And nor will they deter the political objectives of a powerful enemy nation - one which is strong enough to mount a trans-ocean invasion in the first place, which is no small feat.

America hasn't been invaded because of its geographical location. It's as simple as that.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#162 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts

You probably haven't heard of Operation Sealion, a plan by Hitler to invade the U.K, basically it called for the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine to destroy the RAF and clear the English Channel from the minefield while the Kreigsmarine keeps the Royal Navy occupied from intervening and then sending troops onto the British shores on Dover, Brighton and so on. Pretty much the only reason why the German's never used it was because they could not defeat the Royal Navy, and RAF, when they lost the battle of Britain that ended any chance of Nazi Germany invading the U.K. So basically if the U.K. would have lost the battle of Britain then theoretically WWII would have finally come to the British Isles, if Operation Sealion was launched and Germans were able to get a foothold on the U.K. Mainland.KhaosShogun

Germany wasn't able to take out the RAF because Hitler was an idiot and diverted forces to start the war with Russia before he was supposed to.

On topic, America hasn't been invaded because America has successfully kept every country around it weak and made a strong enough navy to repel the attacks from the far away enemies.

Infalk25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Infalk25

[QUOTE="Infalk25"]

KhaosShogun

I had heard of that. My post still holds though. Britain hasn't had a war on it's soil (disregarding the civil war) since 1066.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#164 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
[QUOTE="lol_haha_dead"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="lol_haha_dead"]

I've always wondered why there were never any wars on American soil besides the Civil War. Yes, you can count the bombing of Hawaii but, the Japanese did it by air. They didn't have the balls to come and fight us on the ground. So any ways, the reason why people don't step on our soil is because America has the 2nd Amendment, which is the right to bear arms. The United States citizens could kill any foreign soildier that tries to terrorize our streets. See, the citizens in Iraq can barely do anything to protect themselves because their country would NEVER let them bear arms. NEVER. So, that's why America is indestructible. Who can beat a country where millions of it's citizens have their own weapons? Just imagine American soldiers in the streets of New Orleans killing Iraqi soldiers while American Citizens with their shotguns are also killing Iraqi soldiers that try to threaten them.

Any other countries in the world that allows their citizens to bear arms? I'm not sure?

Or it would be the two huge oceans on either side of you, filled with the world's largest navy. I'm only guessing.

So you mean to tell me that America has Naval bases cover the WHOLE coast of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans?

I mean to tell you that the US has enough naval bases along their coast line, and enough ships based there, so as to make an invasion almost impossible.
espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#166 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts

While armed militias can prove effective at hampering a professional military, they don't have a realistic shot at beating one in this day and age. Technology plays a much greater role than it did in earlier times, and infantry training for professional armies tends to be much better as well. Like others have said, small arms aren't going to stop a tank. And nor will they deter the political objectives of a powerful enemy nation - one which is strong enough to mount a trans-ocean invasion in the first place, which is no small feat.

America hasn't been invaded because of its geographical location. It's as simple as that.

pianist

I agree. Throughout history one would be hard pressed to find examples of militia being used as a first-resort primary force. Rather they're usually used to wear down or divert professional armies or are even pitted against professional armies in last ditch resistance attempts (Franco-Prussian War). To me, it seems that the factor which contributes the most to the ill-likelihood of the American mainland being invaded is our overwhelming naval superiority. We have something like 11 nuclear aircraft carriers which allows us to project power over massive areas and control pretty much any sea lane. The country with the next largest number of nuclear carriers, I believe, is France with 1. Obviously, this makes moving armies to American shores nearly impossible. Also invading through neighboring countries (which are our allies anyways) most likely entails getting bogged down in a costly land campaign thousands of miles away from a home base before they even reach our borders.

krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#167 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts

many countries lets the people buy weapons

and japan did invade amercian soil does the alaskan campagin ring a bell

I think birtian invaded us twice

Mexico i think invaded to or was that texas still that was pretty ballzzy

Norg

yea but that was when other countries were fighting for American land and we were barely "United" and didnt have a strong military force yet

phillo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 phillo99
Member since 2005 • 2369 Posts

[QUOTE="KhaosShogun"][QUOTE="Infalk25"]

Infalk25

I had heard of that. My post still holds though. Britain hasn't had a war on it's soil (disregarding the civil war) since 1066.

No it doesn't. Guns have only been illegal for only a fraction of that 1000 years. Britain hasn't been invaded because of the Royal Navy, and the fact that it's an island. Nothing to do with guns being illegal.

shaunk89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 shaunk89
Member since 2009 • 945 Posts

[QUOTE="pianist"]

espoac

I agree. Throughout history one would be hard pressed to find examples of militia being used as a first-resort primary force. Rather they're usually used to wear down or divert professional armies or are even pitted against professional armies in last ditch resistance attempts (Franco-Prussian War). To me, it seems that the factor which contributes the most to the ill-likelihood of the American mainland being invaded is our overwhelming naval superiority. We have something like 11 nuclear aircraft carriers which allows us to project power over massive areas and control pretty much any sea lane. The country with the next largest number of nuclear carriers, I believe, is France with 1. Obviously, this makes moving armies to American shores nearly impossible. Also invading through neighboring countries (which are our allies anyways) most likely entails getting bogged down in a costly land campaign thousands of miles away from a home base before they even reach our borders.

I agree with all of the above. America is in an enviably strong defensive position. Transporting troops across the Atlantic or Pacific in large enough numbers to mount an invasion would be extremely difficult, just look at the US's troubles with U-Boat attacks on transport vessels in WW2. It wouldn't be impossible though, for a nation with sufficient economic, military, and ideological power. THe main reason the USA has never been invaded is that nobody has any reason to invade. It's pretty much the number one economic superpower, so nobody would gain anything from wiping it out/taking it over.

For the same reason, nobody wants to go to war with China, despite their increasingly standoffish international position. If they decided to go to war however, I think that many people would be unpleasantly surprised at the technological advancement of their weaponry. Once upon a time they used aging Soviet-era munitions, but in recent years they've been acquiring a lot of bleeding-edge tech, simply because they have more money to pay the weapons developers than pretty much anyone else. Which is why their tacit support of North Korea and hostile approach to Russia is increasingly troubling.

Also, the USA is by no means the only country that has not been invaded in recent memory. The UK is one, Russia also (depending on your definition, seeing as they repelled the Nazi invasion along the Eastern Front, so no force ever made it into the heartland), I'm pretty sure many Nordic Eurpoean countries haven't been invaded, but I could be wrong....I'm sure there are plenty of other examples too.

I don't think it has anything to do with 2nd Amendment rights. No matter how many guns the populace may have, it's impossible for them to repel an onslaught with sophisticated weaponry in the hands of well-trained troops. Just look at how insurgents are doing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Ie, badly.

And lastly, I think the UK has the second largest waterborne nuclear weapon system, with the Trident subs. But we have no nuclear carriers to my knowledge :(

Infalk25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Infalk25

[QUOTE="Infalk25"]

[QUOTE="KhaosShogun"] You probably haven't heard of Operation Sealion, a plan by Hitler to invade the U.K, basically it called for the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine to destroy the RAF and clear the English Channel from the minefield while the Kreigsmarine keeps the Royal Navy occupied from intervening and then sending troops onto the British shores on Dover, Brighton and so on. Pretty much the only reason why the German's never used it was because they could not defeat the Royal Navy, and RAF, when they lost the battle of Britain that ended any chance of Nazi Germany invading the U.K. So basically if the U.K. would have lost the battle of Britain then theoretically WWII would have finally come to the British Isles, if Operation Sealion was launched and Germans were able to get a foothold on the U.K. Mainland.phillo99

No it doesn't. Guns have only been illegal for only a fraction of that 1000 years. Britain hasn't been invaded because of the Royal Navy, and the fact that it's an island. Nothing to do with guns being illegal.

Well done Captain Obvious. Way to completely miss my point.

fillini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 fillini
Member since 2004 • 857 Posts

Infalk25

Britain would have fallen very shortly after France if Hitler pressed the invasion. Hitler could of wiped out most of the British military on the beaches of the channel if he wanted to. But he thought he could turn the brits to his way of thinking.

I would argue the saturation bombing England took during WW2 would count as an invasion.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#172 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
There have been wars fought on American soil, twice (excluding the Civil War), one against Mexico and one against Britian, both in the 1800s. But we won both, so I guess it'd be pretty stupid to mess with the US, huh?
Warrior427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#173 Warrior427
Member since 2008 • 181 Posts
yes that may be true but we also have natural defense from the oceans and we are bordering canada and mexico and they are our allies
Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

There have been wars fought on American soil, twice (excluding the Civil War), one against Mexico and one against Britian, both in the 1800s. But we won both, so I guess it'd be pretty stupid to mess with the US, huh?enterawesome

I don't believe you won the War of 1812. Your goals were not met, in fact, your Whitehouse was burned. You pretty much got pwned in that war and were lucky enough to have your enimies just go home and let you be!

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

It's not because of our laws or rights that there has never been a war between two recognized nations on American soil. It's because our army is, by far, the most powerful army on both the North American and South American continent. In either case, though, the only way to defeat the United States beyond the obvious route of nuclear bombardment at present would be to launch a two-ocean amphibious assault, something which every nation on the planet, including the United States, would find exceedingly difficult, nigh on impossible, to successfully pull off.

deadcell88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 deadcell88
Member since 2009 • 104 Posts

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]There have been wars fought on American soil, twice (excluding the Civil War), one against Mexico and one against Britian, both in the 1800s. But we won both, so I guess it'd be pretty stupid to mess with the US, huh?Mikey132

I don't believe you won the War of 1812. Your goals were not met, in fact, your Whitehouse was burned. You pretty much got pwned in that war and were lucky enough to have your enimies just go home and let you be!

Nope. The war ended in a stalemate.
Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]There have been wars fought on American soil, twice (excluding the Civil War), one against Mexico and one against Britian, both in the 1800s. But we won both, so I guess it'd be pretty stupid to mess with the US, huh?deadcell88

Nope. The war ended in a stalemate.

Or in other words,the intentions were to invade Canada. But since the U.S couldn't do that, and the British and Canadians had no intentions of taking American soil, (which they could have). We'll call it a Stalemate. Sure.

Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts

Wrong, the reason there are no wars on American soil is any invader stepping on our soil will be melted like those Nazi's at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Logic people!

Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Angurvadal_88
Member since 2005 • 704 Posts

Ah, a thread typically tainted by arrogance, massive generalizations and the ramblings of an idiot. A-level History teaches me to steer well away from this nonsense, so that's exactly what I'm going to do.

irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 irish4eva
Member since 2008 • 570 Posts
Wasent ireland part of britain before they rebelled? Theirs a war for britain :D..
lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts

I guess the War of 1812 didn't happen.

nintendofreak_2

If I remember correctly....

War of 1812, America was sick of British trade dominence and wanted to trade withNapoleonic France who they were at war with.

America thought with Britain occupied they could take Canada but failed and the 3 year war ended in a stalemate with no territorial changes occuring.

fillini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 fillini
Member since 2004 • 857 Posts

Ah, a thread typically tainted by arrogance, massive generalizations and the ramblings of an idiot. A-level History teaches me to steer well away from this nonsense, so that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Angurvadal_88

What an A-level History? I've never heard of it.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

[QUOTE="Angurvadal_88"]

fillini

What an A-level History? I've never heard of it.

A-Level Classes are advanced level courses in the UK. Kind of like American AP courses.