I hate tim burton and johny depp (or whatever)

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
If you don't like the movies, don't watch them. Problem solved ;)
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Overrated, perhaps. However, "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Ed Wood" are great pieces of work. I also personally applaud Tim Burton for expanding the audience of "Sweeney Todd," which is one of the best musicals ever written. "Corpse Bride" I also enjoy, though it's something of a guilty pleasure.

Johnny Depp is also a good actor, even if he often tends to confine himself to "quirky" roles, he does them very well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178857 Posts
Like some...don't like others. But Depp is a good actor that didn't play it safe with the pretty boy lead roles much of Hollywood takes....and for that he gets my respect.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Like some...don't like others. But Depp is a good actor that didn't play it safe with the pretty boy lead roles much of Hollywood takes....and for that he gets my respect.LJS9502_basic

But he does tend to play it safe with quirky/weird/eccentric roles which he's become known for. He's fallen into a comfort zone with such roles and he rarely ventures outside of that zone. I like Depp and I think he's a great actor, but I wish he'd be a little more daring with the roles he takes.

mahan-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 1

#55 mahan-k
Member since 2008 • 133 Posts

Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeny Todd, Sleepy Hollow, and Edwards Scissors Hands are all classics.You just have to watch Burton's movies with an open mind. Trust me, they are better than 90% of the crap that we see in the theaters nowadays (Inception and Toy Story 3 are exceptions). As for Johnny Depp, I think he's an excellent actor, and I don't think he's the king of acting. No one said he is.

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

I disagree.

Tim Burton has made some great movies. Most have already been mentioned, but I would also add Batman to that. I think it's the best Batman film to date.

Johnny Depp is an incredible actor. It might be true that as of late he has fallen into the this "odd, I'm weird" stigma, but his body of work speaks for itself. He was really good in Dead Man, Blow and Donnie Brasco. Don't judge him only by his recent work.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#57 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Love Sweeney Todd and Burton didn't direct Nightmare Before Christmas.
mahan-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 1

#58 mahan-k
Member since 2008 • 133 Posts

Also, I think you forgot about the first Batman movie and Ed Wood, which are both masterpieces.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Love Sweeney Todd and Burton didn't direct Nightmare Before Christmas. biggest_loser

He produced and wrote it, and it was billed as "Tim Burton's 'the Nightmare Before Christmas'", so it's a Tim Burton film and can be held against (or for) him.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I'm not a big fan of Tim Burton either. Johnny Depp is all right, but he's not amazing like some make him out to be.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#61 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Tim Burton is a great film director; he makes his projects original and doesn't try to copy what everyone else is doing. The movies you mentioned are some great films, you may think they're terrible, but you'd be in the minority among fim buffs.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
He was really good in Dead Man, Blow and Donnie Brasco. Don't judge him only by his recent work.cmpepper23
I'm willing to bet the majority of people claiming Depp is nothing special haven't seen any of these. :P Man, Dead Man was amazing.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

The movies you mentioned are some great films, you may think they're terrible, but you'd be in the minority among fim buffs.UT_Wrestler

Depends which films you're talking about. Saying "Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is garbage" definitely wouldn't put someone in the minority.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Some people like unusual movies, and Johnny Depp is a phenomenal actor. :|
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#65 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"] The movies you mentioned are some great films, you may think they're terrible, but you'd be in the minority among fim buffs.JML897

Depends which films you're talking about. Saying "Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is garbage" definitely wouldn't put someone in the minority.

Yeah. I didn't enjoy Alice in Wonderland much at all. The funny thing is that in most cases I see Burton as taking source material and sprucing it up a bit in the "weird and wacky" department. For Alice in Wonderland, he took certifiably weird and wacky material and made it derivative and boring.

But that's a rare exception for me. I love most Burton films -- heck I even liked Planet of the Apes.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PannicAtack
Also, anyone who criticizes Sweeney Todd for being a musical, or says the music is bad (aside from the singers not being great or excising half the score) is flat-out wrong.
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
To be fair, Johnny is in Blow and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
No. We love him because of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#69 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Also, anyone who criticizes Sweeney Todd for being a musical, or says the music is bad (aside from the singers not being great or excising half the score) is flat-out wrong.PannicAtack
Yes that definitely comes down to taste! Equally laughable is when people say 'Depp plays the same character' - there is no way that Scissorhands is the same as Sweeney or Jack Sparrow is the same as Willy Wonker.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]Also, anyone who criticizes Sweeney Todd for being a musical, or says the music is bad (aside from the singers not being great or excising half the score) is flat-out wrong.biggest_loser
Yes that definitely comes down to taste! Equally laughable is when people say 'Depp plays the same character' - there is no way that Scissorhands is the same as Sweeney or Jack Sparrow is the same as Willy Wonker.

My statement is more that the music and lyrics are absolutely brilliant.

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

[QUOTE="cmpepper23"] He was really good in Dead Man, Blow and Donnie Brasco. Don't judge him only by his recent work.raven_squad
I'm willing to bet the majority of people claiming Depp is nothing special haven't seen any of these. :P Man, Dead Man was amazing.

Very true. I wish more people had seen or would watch this film. It's one of my favorite J. Depp movies.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

He was really good in Dead Man, Blow and Donnie Brasco. Don't judge him only by his recent work.cmpepper23

+ What's Eating Gilbert Grape

ruhunrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ruhunrocks
Member since 2010 • 321 Posts

Seriously they are the most overrated people in hollywood...tim burton makes a crappy film, and he puts johny on it...OH HOW ORIGINAL! WHO KNEW HE WAS GOING TO PICK JOHNY FOR THE PRIME ROLL?

seriously, he just makes terribly and bizzarre movies...nightmare before christmas, corpse bride, alice in wonderland, sweeney todd....they just suck! as for depp, most people love him because of pirates of the caribbean well I also hate that too!

any brothers/Sisters here share my hatred towards them?

lightleggy
i thought i was the only one xD
hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

But how are they terrible movies? I agree that they are bizarre, but some of those are excellent movies, IMO. Sweeney Todd had a very good story to it while it being somewhat of a musical. Alice in Wonderland was pretty good too with the addition of today's technology while still keeping the original story intact for the most part. You are allowed to have your opinion, but at least explain why you think that. Depp is a pretty good actor for the most part. I agree that he is a little overrated, but he has played in some great roles. Edward Scissorhands is a classic and he did well in Secret Window, IMO. He also made the Pirates movies famous because of his uniqueness that he brings. There are much worse actors out there than Depp and that is fact.Victors_Valiant

Stopped reading there.

BTW I agree on Burton but not on Depp.