How's OT's football team doing?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JarOfGunz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JarOfGunz
Member since 2010 • 368 Posts

Our team is undefeated. We played 3 games and never lost one. One more game and we go to the championships. How bout you OT?

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Our team is undefeated. We played 3 games and never lost one. One more game and we go to the championships. How bout you OT?

JarOfGunz
My team is undefeated and looks like we are the favorites to win the Superbowl again this year. 8)
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Dead, since Dan Marino.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Terrible. But we did get a sloppy victory this week against the winless dolphins...
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Mediocre. The Cowboys are 3-3.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Redskins 3-3,I have a feeling we wont be winning to many games now
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

*Wonders why American Football is called football*

You run around with the ball in your hands :|

Now FOOTBALL, the awesome football, where you actually use your foot to move the ball, is truly football.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Now FOOTBALL, the awesome football, where you actually use your foot to move the ball, is truly football.

Arthur96

Oh look, it's this post again.

Bears. 4-3 with a somewhat difficult schedule left. I'm expecting them to go 8-8.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
We are doing alright, Chicago Bears 4-3.
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Arthur96

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

JML897

Bears. 4-3 with a somewhat difficult schedule left. I'm expecting them to go 8-8.

Yes, because you've yet to come up with a decent answer.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178848 Posts
Steelers are 5-2.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

Arthur96

Yes, because you've yet to come up with a decent answer.

Rugby football grew out of association football. Canadian football out of rugby, American football out of Canadian football. Simple.....

fireball_016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fireball_016
Member since 2005 • 779 Posts

Not too bad. We just upset the Sooners in their home stadium this weekend. It's always good to beat a #1 ranked team on their own turf.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Arthur96

I've posted this in OT on many occasions and have yet to get a decent reponse, but the term football originated to differentiate sports that were played on horseback from those played on foot. Technically you could consider basketball football. Normally the most popular sport in a given region has retained the term football, in the U.S. it's a rugby variant. I have no problem with soccer being called football, but it doesn't own a copyright on the term. It's a type of football, specifically association football, hence soccer.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

49ers are 5-1 so Im happy. happy for the first time with this team in years and years.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts

My football team (soccer to some) just got through to the next round of the Carling Cup but not doing brilliantly in the league.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arthur96

My football team (soccer to some) just got through to the next round of the Carling Cup but not doing brilliantly in the league.

Big_Bad_Sad

Chelsea are barely scraping it against Everton right now, down to ten men.

Extremely dramatic. Extra time is starting in 5 mins.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

theone86

I've posted this in OT on many occasions and have yet to get a decent reponse, but the term football originated to differentiate sports that were played on horseback from those played on foot. Technically you could consider basketball football. Normally the most popular sport in a given region has retained the term football, in the U.S. it's a rugby variant. I have no problem with soccer being called football, but it doesn't own a copyright on the term. It's a type of football, specifically association football, hence soccer.

That's one hypothesis. I prefer the more popular and logical one.

Anyway, bottom of the table so far - not that I'm that bothered.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
OT has a football team?
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts

[QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"]

Arthur96

I thought Chelsea won that. Did Everton equalise at the end?
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Arthur96

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

[QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"]

Big_Bad_Sad

I thought Chelsea won that. Did Everton equalise at the end?

Yes they did.

Hoping that Boas will work his magic at the break.

Loved the way we played against QPR with 9 men on Sunday.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Arthur96"]

jimmyjammer69

It's not a hypothesis, it's documented. And your "hypothesis" isn't logical, it's a common-sense (i.e. fallacious) argument come up with by self-righteous soccer fans who think only they have the right to call their sport football.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

It's not a hypothesis, it's documented. And your "hypothesis" isn't logical, it's a common-sense (i.e. fallacious) argument come up with by self-righteous soccer fans who think only they have the right to call their sport football.

And "your" "hypothesis" is taken from Wikipedia - a second hand relation of one gentried mans reference to what he called Foot-Ball in the nineteenth century, over 200 years after the OED has the first use referring to the sport.

Also, common sense =/= fallacious, I advanced no argument, and I'd say your judgement about non-American sports fans irrationally trusting the OED over some random Wikipedia commentor was groundless and makes you guilty of the same fallacious thinking you're wrongly accusing others of.

:P

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#24 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
the patriots are 5-1 and would be 6-0 without some terrible calls by the referees. oh, well. every team has to deal with a bad game by the referees at some point in the season and they are leading the division anyway. plus the loss made them more balanced in the run which will be better in the long run. still, im not so sure our defense will get better over the course of the season because they dont really have the rookie excuse anymore.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] That's one hypothesis. I prefer the more popular and logical one.

jimmyjammer69

And "Your" "hypothesis" is taken from Wikipedia - one gentried mans reference to what he called Foot-Ball in the nineteenth century, over 200 years after the OED has the first use referring to the sport.

Also, common sense =/= fallacious, I advanced no argument, and I'd say your judgement about non-American sports fans irrationally trusting the OED over some random Wikipedia commentor was groundless and makes you guilty of the same fallacious thinking you're wrongly accusing others of.

Common sense does mean fallacious, it's an emotional argument based on a subjective viewpoint. To posit something as correct based on merit of common sense is fallacious.

And OED specifically says the first reference to football was the one I referenced, in 1424 when it was banned by edict of the king. Get over yourself, you and other soccer fans don't own the term football.

hardyfan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 hardyfan8
Member since 2009 • 484 Posts
Im a vikings fan, how do you think my team is doing?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theone86

Im a vikings fan, how do you think my team is doing?hardyfan8

Not too bad after last week's game, and a lot better if they could've figured out a way to stop Detroit from coming back from a 24-point halftime defecit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

[QUOTE="JarOfGunz"]

ExoticAnimal

My team is undefeated and looks like we are the favorites to win the Superbowl again this year. 8)

This.

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts
49ers, 5-1. Playing the Browns next. Probably going to go 6-1. Honestly, I have no freaking idea either how they pulled this off. Good defense though, and quite a bit of luck.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

And "Your" "hypothesis" is taken from Wikipedia - one gentried mans reference to what he called Foot-Ball in the nineteenth century, over 200 years after the OED has the first use referring to the sport.

Common sense does mean fallacious, it's an emotional argument based on a subjective viewpoint. To posit something as correct based on merit of common sense is fallacious.

And OED specifically says the first reference to football was the one I referenced, in 1424 when it was banned by edict of the king. Get over yourself, you and other soccer fans don't own the term football.

1)I didn't "posit" either theory as correct - I said which I preferred. Have a look; it's right up there.

2)The (IMO utterly unconvincing) etymology you referenced was from "William Hone, writing in 1825 or 1826", not the OED. "For the etymology, the OED just indicates it is a compound of foot and ball." - Wikipedia.

3)Calm down. I don't consider myself a "soccer fan" and I'm not trying to stake or dipsute a "claim" to the term.

I'd also like to say that I find your xenophobia a little... troubling (and not for the first time). I'd advise you in future to take a deep breath and count to 1000 before you post anything silly.

Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#31 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts
Chiefs. Started out very weak but we've won three straight. Not expected to make the playoffs for the second straight year, though. Too many injuries.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] And "Your" "hypothesis" is taken from Wikipedia - one gentried mans reference to what he called Foot-Ball in the nineteenth century, over 200 years after the OED has the first use referring to the sport.

jimmyjammer69

1)I didn't "posit" either theory as correct - I said which I preferred. Have a look; it's right up there.

2)The (IMO utterly unconvincing) etymology you referenced was from "William Hone, writing in 1825 or 1826", not the OED. "For the etymology, the OED just indicates it is a compound of foot and ball." - Wikipedia.

3)Calm down. I don't consider myself a "soccer fan" and I'm not trying to stake or dipsute a "claim" to the term.

I'd also like to say that I find your xenophobia a little... troubling (and not for the first time). I'd advise you in future to take a deep breath and count to 1000 before you post anything silly.

I'm looking at OED right now, "1424 Sc. Act Jas. I c. 18 The king forbiddes þt na man play at þe fut ball vnder þe payne of iiijd."

I'm perfectly calm, I just don't like people going around acting like they have some inherent right to be the only ones who can use the term football and talking down to people who use it for another sport. I don't care that people use football to describe soccer, doesn't bother me one bit and I don't try to put people down because I call American rugby football.

And xenophobia? What is your problem dude? I have not said one xenophobic thing this entire time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Wow what an argument.....football the NFL variety came from soccer by way of rugby hence getting named football except where football means soccer. Never heard this other theory.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

I'm looking at OED right now, "1424 Sc. Act Jas. I c. 18 The king forbiddes þt na man play at þe fut ball vnder þe payne of iiijd."

I'm perfectly calm, I just don't like people going around acting like they have some inherent right to be the only ones who can use the term football and talking down to people who use it for another sport. I don't care that people use football to describe soccer, doesn't bother me one bit and I don't try to put people down because I call American rugby football.

And xenophobia? What is your problem dude? I have not said one xenophobic thing this entire time.

I really don't understand your difficulty with this. You claimed that the word 'football' was derived as a means of distinguishing horseback ball games from those played on foot. That's not in the OED, whose etymology mentions only that it's a compound of foot and ball. I don't have a problem. I'm glad that you're calm. I understand that you don't like Brits and that you're trying rather pathetically to wind me up. It won't work.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
2-4 Broncos.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Browns 3 -3 (worse than their record)

Lions 5 -2

Yes, I've had some very crappy seasons.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
The Gamecocks are 6-1.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Manchester United 1 - 6 Manchester City

Not very good. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Actually all of you guys are wrong about your derivation for the term football. Amercian football was originally called "foosball" as in fool's ball because it was from the devil. Eventually the s got erroneously dropped and replaced by a t and that became part of the standard lexicon. Here's a link showing the proper term.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQiiKb_lLa0&feature=related

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Colts..........don't even want to talk about it. Although I do watch the Bears (originally from Chicago) and the Lions (lived there for almost 4 years) so it isn't to bad but yeah sad panda on the Colts.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

By Football meaning Association Football, mine are doing pretty badly.

Paco8byu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Paco8byu
Member since 2010 • 522 Posts

My Patriots are doing great.....I think Tom Brady has a shot at MVP again this year depending how him and Aaron Rodgers finish out the season.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
8-0, and shall beat Alabama on Nov 5th.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bleehum
The Gamecocks are 6-1.Travo_basic
Too bad yall lost Lattimore for the year, dude is a beast.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Travo_basic

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]The Gamecocks are 6-1.bleehum
Too bad yall lost Lattimore for the year, dude is a beast.

I know. :cry:

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

My Patriots are doing great.....I think Tom Brady has a shot at MVP again this year depending how him and Aaron Rodgers finish out the season.

Paco8byu

To me Peyton Manning has the MVP locked up. But yeah, I'm a Pats fan as well, and I think they are doing well. I still haven't forgiven Ocho though.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Florida Gators have been what I expected. Not enough talent on the team. If they can at least beat Georgia this weekend and Florida State at the end of the year, I'll be okay. As for the Jacksonville Jaguars, the offense and coaching is atrocious. At least the defense has vastly improved from last year, and they upsetted the Ravens on Monday Night.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Travo_basic

[QUOTE="Paco8byu"]

sherman-tank1

To me Peyton Manning has the MVP locked up. But yeah, I'm a Pats fan as well, and I think they are doing well. I still haven't forgiven Ocho though.

How many games has Peytonplayed this year?

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bleehum

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="Paco8byu"]

Travo_basic

Zero
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Travo_basic

How many games have the Colts won this year?