How do you pronounce the word "Duty"?

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#102 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] "Correct" as in, the right way to pronounce it.Head_of_games

As defined by...?

I'm going to go with Oxford. Can you think of a more prestigious source on the English Language? .

Yes champ, but different accents from different parts of the world can make certain words homophones and pronouce words differently that may not be accepted in other countries. For example, Americans say, "Aluminum" where as Australians say, "Aluminium". To us thats normal (and it should be, thats how the word is spelt, Americans seem to leave out the 'i') to yourself, the other way is correct. You are naive to think everyone sounds exactly the same as you when you yourself don't pronouce some words as they were previously intended by the English
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"][QUOTE="raynimrod"]

As defined by...?

chaoscougar1

I'm going to go with Oxford. Can you think of a more prestigious source on the English Language? .

Yes champ, but different accents from different parts of the world can make certain words homophones and pronouce words differently that may not be accepted in other countries. For example, Americans say, "Aluminum" where as Australians say, "Aluminium". To us thats normal (and it should be, thats how the word is spelt, Americans seem to leave out the 'i') to yourself, the other way is correct. You are naive to think everyone sounds exactly the same as you when you yourself don't pronouce some words as they were previously intended by the English

But that pronunciation of aluminum IS in the Oxford!

"Jew-Ti," on the other hand, is not.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Head_of_games"] I'm going to go with Oxford. Can you think of a more prestigious source on the English Language? . Head_of_games

Like I said previously, with an Australian accent and pronounciation, Jew is a homophone of Due
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] Yes champ, but different accents from different parts of the world can make certain words homophones and pronouce words differently that may not be accepted in other countries. For example, Americans say, "Aluminum" where as Australians say, "Aluminium". To us thats normal (and it should be, thats how the word is spelt, Americans seem to leave out the 'i') to yourself, the other way is correct. You are naive to think everyone sounds exactly the same as you when you yourself don't pronouce some words as they were previously intended by the Englishchaoscougar1

Like I said previously, with an Australian accent and pronounciation, Jew is a homophone of Due

Too bad they're not english (like you said) because then their accent wouldn't mess up the pronunciation. Which can make it hard for everyone else to understand.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Head_of_games"]

Nibroc420

Too bad they're not english (like you said) because then their accent wouldn't mess up the pronunciation. Which can make it hard for everyone else to understand.

Hence why they are called "accents" I severly doubt you pronounce every single word as it was intended by those who created the English language. And it really isn't that hard to understand unless the word pronounced is completely off base. Also, the pronounciations you use in your country tend to be accepted and understood easily in that country, so it really should not matter. You seem to be under the impression that we all sound the same :lol:
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] Like I said previously, with an Australian accent and pronounciation, Jew is a homophone of Duechaoscougar1

Hence why they are called "accents" I severly doubt you pronounce every single word as it was intended by those who created the English language. And it really isn't that hard to understand unless the word pronounced is completely off base. Also, the pronounciations you use in your country tend to be accepted and understood easily in that country, so it really should not matter. You seem to be under the impression that we all sound the same :lol:

We dont, but thats because of the numerous different languages throughout the world. Not sure where you're getting that from.

I simply believe people should pronounce words properly, as to make understanding them easier.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

We dont, but thats because of the numerous different languages throughout the world. Not sure where you're getting that from.

I simply believe people should pronounce words properly, as to make understanding them easier.

To reiterate, and this is the last time, most Americans pronounce "Aluminium" as "Aluminum", this is not the correct pronounciation (based on the oxford dictionary) but is widely accepted and understood by Americans. Next time one of these tricky pronounciations comes up, listen to it, use your common sense and powers of deduction and figure out the word they are trying to say, then respond to set word/sentence
solidfish30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 solidfish30
Member since 2008 • 676 Posts
[QUOTE="solidfish30"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] Then why does the correct pronounciation drive you insane?chaoscougar1

Because I pronounce it correctly, unlike most.

Which is? You still haven't mentioned that

Due-tee
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 _VenomX
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

juu-daaaay :P

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] "Correct" as in, the right way to pronounce it.Nibroc420

As defined by...?

By the people who created the language. Not by you, or me, or anyone else.

I'm English, I've got a pretty good idea of how the words are supposed to be pronounced.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] "Correct" as in, the right way to pronounce it.Head_of_games

As defined by...?

If you're going to go by Oxford, look at the other words I provided along with the Oxford pronunciation - it's completely different to the way people in the States say it.

Tomato, Brisbane, Melbourne, Paedophile... they say them all differently to the way Oxford says they should be said... again, what's your point???

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="raynimrod"]

As defined by...?

raynimrod

By the people who created the language. Not by you, or me, or anyone else.

I'm English, I've got a pretty good idea of how the words are supposed to be pronounced.

In England....
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#114 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I pronounce it Due-Tea.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] By the people who created the language. Not by you, or me, or anyone else.LJS9502_basic

In England....

Um, the argument presented to me was that the people who created the language would define the way it should be pronounced. I'm from England, so I ought to have a pretty good idea of the "correct" pronunciation, mate.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="raynimrod"]

raynimrod

In England....

Um, the argument presented to me was that the people who created the language would define the way it should be pronounced. I'm from England, so I ought to have a pretty good idea of the "correct" pronunciation, mate.

English does not just belong to England anymore......so you would be familiar with pronunciation from England. Not elsewhere. To say words should only be pronounced as they are in England would not be correct.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] In England....LJS9502_basic

English does not just belong to England anymore......so you would be familiar with pronunciation from England. Not elsewhere. To say words should only be pronounced as they are in England would not be correct.

Have you even read the rest of this thread? The argument presented to me was the the "correct" pronunciation would be determined by those who created the language, so being from England that would give me the advantage - surely.

In addition to this, you earlier suggested that words should be pronounced in exactly the way they are spelt, yet this isn't really the case, at least according to Oxford. That's odd, don't you think?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 LJS9502_basic

raynimrod

Have you even read the rest of this thread? The argument presented to me was the the "correct" pronunciation would be determined by those who created the language, so being from England that would give me the advantage - surely.

In addition to this, you earlier suggested that words should be pronounced in exactly the way they are spelt, yet this isn't really the case, at least according to Oxford. That's odd, don't you think?

Well actually I think his argument was using the Oxford Dictionary as a source. The Oxford Dictionary is English. So I'm confused why you would not accept that pronunciation as correct TBH.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] English does not just belong to England anymore......so you would be familiar with pronunciation from England. Not elsewhere. To say words should only be pronounced as they are in England would not be correct.LJS9502_basic

Well actually I think his argument was using the Oxford Dictionary as a source. The Oxford Dictionary is English. So I'm confused why you would not accept that pronunciation as correct TBH.

LOL!!! Again, have you read the thread? I provided a number of words that are completely mispronounced by people in the States if Oxford is used as the definitive "source" of truth for the correct pronunciation.

Perhaps you should read up on what's already been said.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 LJS9502_basic

raynimrod

LOL!!! Again, have you read the thread? I provided a number of words that are completely mispronounced by people in the States if Oxford is used as the definitive "source" of truth for the correct pronunciation.

No. Oxford is an UK dictionary. Not a US one. That argument does not follow. If anything England should pronounce words more in line with the Oxford Dictionary....not the States. Anyway the words you listed are accent differences. Not totally changing the letters do I don't see that analogy working.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Well actually I think his argument was using the Oxford Dictionary as a source. The Oxford Dictionary is English. So I'm confused why you would not accept that pronunciation as correct TBH.LJS9502_basic

No. Oxford is an UK dictionary. Not a US one. That argument does not follow. If anything England should pronounce words more in line with the Oxford Dictionary....not the States. Anyway the words you listed are accent differences. Not totally changing the letters do I don't see that analogy working.

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, you've not acknowledged anything in this thread - it's amusing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LJS9502_basic

raynimrod

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, you've not acknowledged anything in this thread - it's amusing.

Actually I have. However, you have not explained why a dictionary in the UK has a pronunciation which you claim is wrong. And as I said for those words you listed....they ARE the correct pronunciation for the US.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No. Oxford is an UK dictionary. Not a US one. That argument does not follow. If anything England should pronounce words more in line with the Oxford Dictionary....not the States. Anyway the words you listed are accent differences. Not totally changing the letters do I don't see that analogy working.LJS9502_basic

Actually I have. However, you have not explained why a dictionary in the UK has a pronunciation which you claim is wrong. And as I said for those words you listed....they ARE the correct pronunciation for the US.

I've never claimed it to be wrong... what are you talking about?

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

raynimrod

I've never claimed it to be wrong... what are you talking about?

I believe he's saying there's a difference between switching a soft A with a hard A and switch a D with a J. I tend to agree.
dotrichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 dotrichter
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
As a vocalist I was told in music school that duty (dyew-tee) is what you do out of a sense of honor and doody is what you have to clean up.
skullboy323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 skullboy323
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

due-tee