deactivated-6085a0bd46474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6085a0bd46474
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

I love maths and physics but can't stand linear algebra. But then again, maybe it's just because I'm bad at it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts

Least fav subject in school.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Horrible at it I remember when teachers pre cell phone era use to say you can't bring a calculator with you everywhere you go needless to say they where wrong big time.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

I just need to know how to count money, I'm all set for life.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I don't mind it. I use it everyday at work.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I wish I were better at it.

It’s frustrating being intelligent enough to see the beauty of the world and its systems yet lack the understanding of the language required to delve into it to its truest appreciation. When you break anything down enough, it’s always math.

I can balance my checkbook. What I would give to be able to grasp the scientific principles of the world around me better, but my mind simply doesn’t work that way.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

@MirkoS77:Well said. My math could be better.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Last favorite but it's one of my strongest subjects.

I forget it very easily but learning it I have no problem. Unless it's probably linear algebra which I have never taken. My trig could be better although I got 100% on those exams a few years ago. My Calc is strong too. I'm just not very good at applying math because I hardly ever needed to.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Not very fond of it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#10 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I'm alright with it, if slow. My problem is I'm always paranoid that I get something wrong and end up double and triple checking almost every calculation I do. Eventually I found a way to break them down into simpler calculations I'm less likely to get wrong, and only multi-check the harder ones I'm not sure about.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

Terrifying. I was very much raised on the "hit and berate until they get the right answer" school of teaching maths. Anything beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication or division is a lost cause with me.

...why....WHY!.....why did i choose computer science for my degree!?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I love all those things.

Linear algebra is awesome for solving systems of equations and doing cool shit with matrices.

Calculus is also fucking awesome. It gives you the tools to analyze things that change over some parameter.

And, of course, physics is the means by which we use these tools. Personally, I do a lot of structural analysis, which can be broken up into pieces (everything is a spring) and turned into big matrix equations; hence why linear algebra is so cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-6085a0bd46474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-6085a0bd46474

@pyro1245: There is a thread somewhere here about ''if you go could back in time what would you do?''. I'd go see mama Gauss and tell her not to get pregnant because she would spawn a demon child.

Calculus is my jam though.

Hmm but come to think about it, I'd also go pay a visit to mama Riemann. *cracks knuckles*.

Btw don't tell me there is linear algebra in mechanics of materials??? I'm currently doing that course. Only algebra I'm seeing in class notes, is 3x3 tensor matrices for individual sections on a structure, which is fine and intuitive. If it goes beyond that forget it I quit lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6085a0bd46474

@osan0: From what I've heard, modern computer science is pretty much pure linear algebra.

I will say a prayer for you.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MirkoS77

@DEVILinIRON said:

@MirkoS77:Well said. My math could be better.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate barrier to appreciating a larger world.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@Keaze_ said:

@pyro1245: There is a thread somewhere here about ''if you go could back in time what would you do?''. I'd go see mama Gauss and tell her not to get pregnant because she would spawn a demon child.

Calculus is my jam though.

Hmm but come to think about it, I'd also go pay a visit to mama Riemann. *cracks knuckles*.

Btw don't tell me there is linear algebra in mechanics of materials??? I'm currently doing that course. Only algebra I'm seeing in class notes, is 3x3 tensor matrices for individual sections on a structure, which is fine and intuitive. If it goes beyond that forget it I quit lol.

Haha. You can use linear algebra in mechanics of materials, but you only have a few eqs so it's easy enough to solve without.

Once you get to the structural analysis class (read: matrix analysis of structures) then you need it because each 'node' with have up to 6 DOFs and the result is a loooot of little spring eqs that need to be put into a matrix and solved that way.

It's easier than it sounds tho - a very simple matrix operation. Building the matrix is the hard part. Then you will learn how to use software anyway.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I'm OK with it as long as it has practical use.

When you start getting into imaginary numbers and crap like that, you lost me.

I'll do dimensional analysis all day (part of my job, actually). You want me to find out how much steam I need at such-and-such degrees to heat so much water from y degrees to z degrees? Great.

Just don't ask me why 0 does or doesn't exist or how 1.9+1.9 actually really does = 4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-6085a0bd46474

@mrbojangles25: Ok how much do you need to heat water from 125 degrees C to 492 kelvin at a pressure of 476.16 kPa?

Disclaimer: I can't confirm the answer because I just started thermo tables this week :x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6085a0bd46474

@pyro1245: Thanks for the explanation. I think that what matter is that I find everything about physics very captivating so I'll put in the work to figure it all out.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Keaze_ said:

@mrbojangles25: Ok how much do you need to heat water from 125 degrees C to 492 kelvin at a pressure of 476.16 kPa?

Disclaimer: I can't confirm the answer because I just started thermo tables this week :x

Eh that shouldn't be to hard to calculate. Does pressure change the amount of energy needed?

From memory it is something like 4.18 joules per degree C per gram of water. Maybe add in a step for going form liquid to gas form, and continue with whatever heat capacity there is for steam.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

If the students have the right resources the books themselves should be able to tell students all they need to know despite lack of decent teacher. I always ignored teacher and just followed examples in the books, math books are like chapter 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, etc. So maybe for a day the teacher says do chapter 3.4 and 3.5 and gives a set of questions to answer. Each chapter subsection will have Ike 3 different examples of how to solve problems of a certain type, and homework reinforces it, simple. I mostly just ignored teacher lectures if I had next days homework and just worked on it during class so I would have no homework.

But... not all students have access to decent books. Some college teachers print their own course packets that are just bad. Even elementary and middle school school kids get lowest bidder packets that are so awful I don't know how they ever got recommended for use.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6085a0bd46474

@horgen: Pressure changes the boiling point of water. But yes it's probably very easy to calculate with the right formulas. Just plug in 2 or 3 values and the problem solves itself.

@lamprey263: I agree, the school books system is broken. College books over here cost about 120-150$ on average. Per class. That's 900+Tx twice a year, just for the books. Many parents can't afford paying that for their kids, on top of tuition fees. It's not right.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Keaze_: Yeah I know it changes the boiling point of water. Problem for some of the people who have travelled far up in the atmosphere with balloons is that they need pressurised suits, as the boiling point is lower than your body temperature.

Converting between fahrenheit and celcius is easy, though annoying step. :P

@Keaze_ said:

@lamprey263: I agree, the school books system is broken. College books over here cost about 120-150$ on average. Per class. That's 900+Tx twice a year, just for the books. Many parents can't afford paying that for their kids, on top of tuition fees. It's not right.

I had to retake a class in college. Things aren't at US level of horrible here, but going from a 90$ book that covered 3 classes I had to take to a 190$ that I think only covered one class... Damn that made me furious.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SOedipus

I recommend in looking into if it's worth buying textbooks new. Won't go into too much as I don't want to get in trouble. I did the mistake in my first year of buying all my books new. Lecturers and professors even encouraged to acquire them by other means. It's a scam and waste of money. At least do your research and determine if it's something you'd use in another class or after you graduate and use it in the workforce.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6085a0bd46474
@SOedipus said:

I recommend in looking into if it's worth buying textbooks new. Won't go into too much as I don't want to get in trouble. I did the mistake in my first year of buying all my books new. Lecturers and professors even encouraged to acquire them by other means. It's a scam and waste of money. At least do your research and determine if it's something you'd use in another class or after you graduate and use it in the workforce.

It might be kind of an odd reason but I've been buying the books new to keep them neat to conserve them as some kind of memento of this period of life. After 2 and a half years, and 3 more to go, the mementos are starting to get a little costy and I sure ain't as rich as I used to be, so I will probably start looking at ways to get cheaper ones or alternative options to learn certain topics. Plus the further you get, the less books are actually available for classes. I'm starting to have classes for which books just don't exist because there is not enough people to sell them to, so all you have are notes from teachers. There is also the internet but even then the amount of content diminishes each semester.

You're also right in saying that you don't really use a book twice. The only book I used twice is multivariable calculus.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SOedipus

@Keaze_ said:

It might be kind of an odd reason but I've been buying the books new to keep them neat to conserve them as some kind of memento of this period of life. After 2 and a half years, and 3 more to go, the mementos are starting to get a little costy and I sure ain't as rich as I used to be, so I will probably start looking at ways to get cheaper ones or alternative options to learn certain topics. Plus the further you get, the less books are actually available for classes. I'm starting to have classes for which books just don't exist because there is not enough people to sell them to, so all you have are notes from teachers. There is also the internet but even then the amount of content diminishes each semester.

You're also right in saying that you don't really use a book twice. The only book I used twice is multivariable calculus.

Not so odd. Sounds like a hobby and whatever floats your boat. My suggestion was more towards struggling students. Been there and all that. If me and my wife had kept all our books we'd have quite the collection. We talked about it but we both felt the same towards the practicality of having stuff we'd never read again just taking space. There were several courses we'd also like to forget entirely. It's a shame how the industry is towards tertiary textbooks. The online versions suck. Can't use ctrl+f function in a lot of them, and only access for a year. I get the whole anti-piracy thing but jeez.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

I'm good at teaching 4th grade math 😂

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6085a0bd46474

@SOedipus said:
@Keaze_ said:

Not so odd. Sounds like a hobby and whatever floats your boat. My suggestion was more towards struggling students. Been there and all that. If me and my wife had kept all our books we'd have quite the collection. We talked about it but we both felt the same towards the practicality of having stuff we'd never read again just taking space. There were several courses we'd also like to forget entirely. It's a shame how the industry is towards tertiary textbooks. The online versions suck. Can't use ctrl+f function in a lot of them, and only access for a year. I get the whole anti-piracy thing but jeez.

Courses you would like to forget, yea, sure thing. I threw all my bio material in the recycling (about 300 pages of printed stuff and notes that I took) because it was a mandatory class and I never want to hear about bio again in my life (I understand many people like it, but it's not for me).

A year? They lowered it to 4 months. The pages also have to be flipped one by one (site has to load each time).

They don't include answers to problems anymore. My 865 pages thermo book only has answers to one in five problems. You have to calculate the total in or out energy of a system and you can't even know if you have the right answer! What's the point? You might be doing it all wrong.

Math book, only odd numbered problems have answers, and any problem that says ''prove that the function.......'' or ''show that if....'', they literally write in the answer section: ''the demonstration is left to the student''. Like really? Proofs are exactly what you need to learn in that class!

Anyway I could rant about this for hours.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@Keaze_ said:

@osan0: From what I've heard, modern computer science is pretty much pure linear algebra.

I will say a prayer for you.

the foundation of machine learning is basically calculus and linear algrebra

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

It’s frustrating being intelligent enough to see the beauty of the world and its systems yet lack the understanding of the language required to delve into it to its truest appreciation. When you break anything down enough, it’s always math.

I can balance my checkbook. What I would give to be able to grasp the scientific principles of the world around me better, but my mind simply doesn’t work that way.

Do you still use cheques?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MirkoS77

@THUMPTABLE said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Do you still use cheques?

Very seldomly, but yes.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@SOedipus said:

This is why I pirate my books.

Usually the next edition has very minor changes. Some newly added discovery is added. Some new pictures. Or maybe the problems are rearranged differently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6085a0bd46474

@Gaming-Planet said:
@SOedipus said:

This is why I pirate my books.

Usually the next edition has very minor changes. Some newly added discovery is added. Some new pictures. Or maybe the problems are rearranged differently.

Hmm I actually never thought about trying to find them in english. Worth a shot.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#35 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I have a learning disability and have been terrible with most things math related for my entire life. It's something I would like to try again at some point though. Relearn in a sense. I had a pretty bad attention span as a kid so maybe that was part of the problem.

seveneleven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 seveneleven
Member since 2020 • 46 Posts

I think it is very useful not just for it's applications but also for learning to think logically. Students these days do not have a very well rounded education. Too much focus on specialization at the beginning.