How do I know who I'm going to marry if I'm not allowed to date?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

I'm Muslim, so its against my religion to date. But the thing is, how am I gonna know who I'm in love with and who I'm supposed to marry if I never do anything like that?

Please help, I need some serious advice.

Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts
Try not to be religious.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
doesn't your religion do arranged marriages or something
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts

I'm Muslim, so its against my religion to date. But the thing is, how am I gonna know who I'm in love with and who I'm supposed to marry if I never do anything like that?

Tigerman950
Can't you just overlook that rule? Christians have been picking and choosing rules for the longest time.
links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 links136
Member since 2004 • 2400 Posts

WHAT? its against your religion to date???

werthog14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 werthog14
Member since 2005 • 420 Posts

I have the same problem, but i don't really believe in it...so when i move out, I'm dating :P

KDIDDY78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KDIDDY78
Member since 2003 • 570 Posts

i guess god (parents)tell you...lol good luck sucks to be muslim

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tigerman950

I have the same problem, but i don't really believe in it...so when i move out, I'm dating :P

werthog14

If you don't mind me asking, are you Muslim as well?

chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts
stop playing video games and go out.
TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

stop playing video games and go out.chAzN93

Learn to read. ;)

Avatar image for Never3ndingLife
Never3ndingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Never3ndingLife
Member since 2009 • 1114 Posts
i did not know about that rule, yea cant you simply overlook it?
werthog14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 werthog14
Yeah i am...Very religious parents, and i don't believe in it at all :(
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Yeah i am...Very religious parents, and i don't believe in it at all :(werthog14
Become a rebel.
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Arranged marriages I guess.
Try to ignore that rule, but if you must then ask your Imam for advice.

werthog14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 werthog14

[QUOTE="werthog14"]Yeah i am...Very religious parents, and i don't believe in it at all :(_en1gma_
Become a rebel.

I'll just play the guise of a good child, until i can move out...then im FREE!

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tigerman950

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"][QUOTE="werthog14"]Yeah i am...Very religious parents, and i don't believe in it at all :(werthog14

Become a rebel.

I'll just play the guise of a good child, until i can move out...then im FREE!

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. I'll still pray five times a day and stuff, but once I move out I probably won't be as strict with myself.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Tigerman950

I think the whole idea is that you're supposed to DECIDE who you love, rather than to DISCOVER who you love.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

I still don't understand why people adhere to religious traditions that we're used hundreds, if not thousands of years ago.

-katamarina-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -katamarina-
Member since 2006 • 5048 Posts

Would it be totally out of question to talk to your parents?

theking52_TDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theking52_TDK
Member since 2008 • 943 Posts

Err i don tknow what youre talking about... muslims ARE allowed to date. it happens all the time... just date other muslim girls and dont have sex till youre married. parents should be fine with that. isn't that how it works?

WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 WeaponXY
Member since 2009 • 1280 Posts

You'll just have to know who the right woman is then I guess. :?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I never knew dating was against Muslim custom. I always thought that was a religion that allowed you to pick your mate.

If you want to date, then date. Nuts to what your religion says. You should be doing what you feel is right for yourself and your future. I've never understood the ideal of marrying someone you don't love with your entire being. If you can't marry for love... then don't marry.

ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

I hope your parents don't have an arranged marriage set up for you yet. :P

I don't know what part of the world you are from, but if at all possible move out of the house and out of your parents control. That will give you the necessary experience to deal with life by yourself and you will have the freedom to experience life and what it has to offer.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

you can date in islam i believe you just can bang...

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Overlook it. You are totally entitled to your rights to date whoever you want, and I don't see how it could possibly interfere with your religion.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
well if you're not allowed to date, id have to assume there are some kind of arranged marraiges then otherwise what the heck are you supposed to do?
RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts

Marriage isn't about love, its about procreation. I thinkthat's religion's perspective on it :P

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I saw something about how some muslim families 'let the stars decide'. If I were you I'd get a new religion/lax up a bit on this one, if your beliefs don't line up with your religion's, whats the point in having it?
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

I just learned about this today and hearing you speak up about it on here really makes me wonder how the Muslim community can possibly move forward with such backward thinking.

I don't usually speak up about something like religion because I feel that its within everyone's power to be or do whatever they want. Unfortunately, for Muslim communities in particular, this becomes incredibly difficult. Societies often shun people who don't follow the guidelines, and its against the law where you live.

If you want my personal opinion, get out of there. When you're old enough and have something to offer the world like a degree, go off to a country where you can be yourself and not have people come down on you for it.

If I lived in a country like that I know I'd wanna get out. :(

Droymac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Droymac
Member since 2007 • 919 Posts

I didn't start dating until after high school...but that was because I was a closeted homosexual :D

Wait until you move out. Plain and simple. You could "rebel" against your parents, but if you care about them or at least respect them (which you should, if they're good parents) that's probably not the greatest thing to do.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Maybe your parents will arrange a marriage for you.
werthog14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 werthog14

Lol, I'll be a total gentleman :D

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

This is a tough situation, and I doubt that you're going to get a good answer on a gaming forum, especially from people who aren't Muslim in the first place. I'd recommend going to your Imam and discussing it.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts

Why dont you lose your way and become an athiest for a while, then after you find your one love , find religion again.

If not then maybe you'll get lucky, theres only 3.1 billion women out there.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

If you follow your religion, then you already had the one your to marry planned out before you were born. If you cant take comfort in that, then you dont fully have faith in your religion, and your just trying to honor the wishes of your parents before yourself. That isnt meant to be insulting, but the nitty gritty. If you truely believe in your religion, then you dont need to worry who you will marry. If you have doubts, then you have doubts about your god having your best interests in mind, and need to make the decision to honor your parents/family, or to be yourself and make a new family.
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shoryuken_

[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

CreasianDevaili

If you follow your religion, then you already had the one your to marry planned out before you were born. If you cant take comfort in that, then you dont fully have faith in your religion, and your just trying to honor the wishes of your parents before yourself. That isnt meant to be insulting, but the nitty gritty. If you truely believe in your religion, then you dont need to worry who you will marry. If you have doubts, then you have doubts about your god having your best interests in mind, and need to make the decision to honor your parents/family, or to be yourself and make a new family.

No, you are wrong. There is no such thing as a forced marriage in Islam. Both the male and the female involved must offer consent without any outside pressures for the marriage to be valid.

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
If you want to date then wait until you move out (so your parents can't stop you) and go for it :)
emmaclare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 emmaclare
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts
Screww religion, love's more important :) You need to spen time with someone to realise you want to be with them. I also don't understand how people can marry someone they havn't had s.ex with ? how do you know you really love someone if you havn't?
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts
Date someone anyway. Just tell your parents you're out with a friend and don't bring her home.
Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts
Go against your religion. Or, if you don't like it, change it. ;)
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shoryuken_

If you want to date then wait until you move out (so your parents can't stop you) and go for it :)tofu-lion91

I'll say it again, speak to your Imam. The majority of the people here are trying to make you break the rules of your religion. It sounds to me like you believe in it, so don't listen to them.

Dating in the Western sense is prohibited (i.e. a 1-1 meeting with a person of the opposite sex). If there is someone you are interested in and you want to get to know them, you must be accompanied by a family member to make sure nothing happens. What usually happens is that your family looks for prospective partners for you based on your personality, so someone who is a good match for you.

The idea in Islam is that love grows over time. I know it may sound hard, but look at the facts: In the USA, where dating is so popular, why is there a 50% divorce rate. At the same time, Islam is the 2nd largest religion in the world and the fastest growing one as well. Therefore, Islam is doing something right that the West isn't.

This pretty much sums the process: http://islam.about.com/od/marriage/a/courtship.htm

I know it's hard, especially if you are living in a non-Muslim country, but go to your mosque and talk to someone about it. You're not the only one with this problem.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="shoryuken_"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

No, you are wrong. There is no such thing as a forced marriage in Islam. Both the male and the female involved must offer consent without any outside pressures for the marriage to be valid.

Wrong about what? I never said anything about forced marriage. In islam, your not allowed to "test the waters" so to speak correct? To keep both sides pure? Thus, by the religion, you dont need to. Because someone out there is for you, pure, waiting, and you for them. Dating is not needed right?
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shoryuken_

Wrong about what? I never said anything about forced marriage. In islam, your not allowed to "test the waters" so to speak correct? To keep both sides pure? Thus, by the religion, you dont need to. Because someone out there is for you, pure, waiting, and you for them. Dating is not needed right?CreasianDevaili

You are wrong in that the person you are supposed to marry is set in stone before you are born. Dating in the way we use it is absolutely prohibited, but getting to know the person as long as you have a family member accompanying you is allowed. Look at my previous post.

ehsan8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 ehsan8888
Member since 2007 • 2303 Posts

Tigerman950
I've been wondering that for years now, as I'm Muslim myself. I think it may be okay to date if you're at an age "eligible" to marry, and you want to date the woman out of love not lust. That's what I'm guessing.
colben69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 colben69
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Sounds like you are in abit of a jam! There is no right answer to this, I think the question you should be asking yourself is are you Muslim? Your parents obviously are but do you belive that you shouldn't date? IF you are going to be pushed willing or not into a prearranged marriage then what is the hurt in having a look. The definition of date can mean alot of things, if there is someone you like ask them out .. You know what you live once, and to live in regret and wondering what if is no way to live.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Werent your parents suppose to pay a family for a the girl you were supposed to marry?
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
have you tried talking to your parents about it. there has to be a way around that
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 shoryuken_

ehhh why is everyone assuming the TC has an arranged marriage coming up???

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 joao_22990
Member since 2007 • 2230 Posts
Just free yourself from the constrains of your religion. Free your mind, and be happy.