How can you possibly be religious

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

How can you be atheist either? The only logical choice IMO is agnosticism.

(not talking to you OP just some folk in this thread)

Lethalhazard

While I wouldn't call myself an atheist it's really not hard to not believe in something that has no proof.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17701 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

I posted this in my alt account on The Atheism Union board. Seems like a good place to repost it as I'd like to hear thoughts from the OT crew:

This has kind of been bugging me lately, and I would like to hear yall's opinions on it.

All too often I hear the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, some say it is and live their lives as such. But many interpret its teachings to fit better with their life, picking some things to follow and others to disregard. For example, my father's a Mormon. He LOVES beer. Has two kegs in an outside reefer. Of course, Mormons don't drink alcohol and consider it a sin, and I've confronted him with this and asked him what his justification is, and he explains that there's some loophole in the teachings that can be interpreted in different ways.

My point is, what is the point of having any faith at all if it can be modified and seen in any light one chooses? Doesn't that fundamentally defeat the purpose of believing, period? If you're not going to strictly adhere to a certain ethical, moral, spiritual code or whathaveyou, it essentially falls apart and breaks down, and while doing so also potentially invalidates or weakens all other tenants in that system as they are all dependant on one another to some extent.

We live in a world of laws, laid down by courts and society. These are not flexible nor open to interpretation (as much as can be helped), so why should faith be given a free pass? I heavily disagree with fundies, but I have to admit I admire their discipline and loyalty to what they believe, no matter how absurd it may be. In my eyes, you either believe in your faith entirely, or you don't. There is no agnosticism.

ChampionoChumps

So you're saying that since your father likes to drink, he might as well be an atheist and that makes all the other laws that he adheres to pointless. Ok, that makes sense... A sinner can still believe in God. We are all sinners. Also being agnostic means that you believe that the ultimate purpose of the universe and everything that is in it is unknowable.

Way to miss the point. Read my second paragraph, I used it as something to exemplify the rest of my post.

Also, agnostic can mean: "a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something". According to Merriam Webster.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Simple. The Problem of Evil. Pretty simple logic in its most basic form.

Ilovegames1992

Is "The Problem of Evil" a logical statement? Actually write down your argument; don't demand that everyone else create it for you and agree with it.

And I can't wait to see what it is. I bet in the centuries Christianity has existed, no onehas thought of this argument before. You're the first one to pose this unshakable challenge.

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts

[QUOTE="blabbyboy"][QUOTE="Meinhard1"]Dude, he TOTALLY answered your question. Meinhard1

*facepalm* did you notice how I wrote faith not religious faith.

If you were speaking of faith in general then you should have made a separate topic. You shouldn't blame others for your apparent inability to articulate yourself properly.

I only blamed you. :P And why would I make a seperate topic when this fits right in here.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Palantas

Is "The Problem of Evil" a logical statement? Actually write down your argument; don't demand that everyone else create it for you and agree with it.

And I can't wait to see what it is. I bet in the centuries Christianity has existed, no onehas thought of this argument before. You're the first one to pose this unshakable challenge.

What are you talking about? No its a well known philosophical argument.... did i claim it as mine...? If you got that idea i apologise.

The idea that God cannot exist because evil exists in the world. Yet, he/she/it is omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenelovent. How can that be? Either he/she/it cant do anything about it or he wont. Either way, that is illogical is it not? Dont have to be so aggressive mate, i'm not ragging on peoples beliefs and i have a healthy respect for religion. Peace brah. :)

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]Lets just get one thing straight here. A Christian God, using logic, cant exist.Ilovegames1992

Enlighten me.

Let me show you how you are wrong in the most basic form. Evil=sin (knowing something is wrong but doing it anyway) to be evil, you must sin, and vice versa. To commit sin, you must know the difference between good and evil, if you do not know the difference then you cannot sin. The story of Adam and Eve represents original sin, or when humans first learned the difference between good and evil.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"] Enlighten me.ChampionoChumps

Let me show you how you are wrong in the most basic form. Evil=sin (knowing something is wrong but doing it anyway) to be evil, you must sin, and vice versa. To commit sin, you must know the difference between good and evil, if you do not know the difference then you cannot sin. The story of Adam and Eve represents original sin, or when humans first learned the difference between good and evil.

Evil is a term that should only be used for extreme cases.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"] Enlighten me.ChampionoChumps

Which God knew would, and let, happen. A la, God cant exist. Genesis is so full of weird stuff though its insane. I'm surprised its still even taken literally today.

Free will isnt even an issue as it doesnt address as to why God let it happen.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I'm a fundamentalist in that I believe the fundamentals of Christianity to be true and I live as if they are true. However, I am not a fundamentalist in the sense that I believe that not everything is worth fighting over. I will fight for the fundamentals of the Gospel (metaphorically speaking) but I do not care to fight over secondary doctrines. According to self-proclaimed Fundamentalist, Bible-believing Christians I am not enough of a fundamentalist. However, I love my Jesus and I will serve him joyously until my last breath.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#110 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
I could give a **** what you believe in, as long as it doesn't hold back the progression of man, the progression of science, doesn't promote ignorance, or a way to channel hatred toward people of different backgrounds.
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ChampionoChumps

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

Which God knew would, and let, happen. A la, God cant exist. Genesis is so full of weird stuff though its insane. I'm surprised its still even taken literally today.

Simply put, evil is something man made. Not being evil is application of limitations to our biological selves to give ourselves inner peace.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Palantas

What are you talking about? No its a well known philosophical argument.... did i claim it as mine...? If you got that idea i apologise.

Ilovegames1992

You believe theargument is valid. So I feel comfortable in calling it "your argument," as in, "the argument you are using in this thread." The one that you believe is so self-evident, you can make statements like this...

Lets just get one thing straight here. A Christian God, using logic, cant exist.Ilovegames1992

...with no accompanying explanation. Since you are content to simply reference a well-known philosophical problem, and not actually explore it in any depth, I am happy to be just as lazy and note to this thread's readership that there are a myriad of well-known philosophical solutions to this problem.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"] Let me show you how you are wrong in the most basic form. Evil=sin (knowing something is wrong but doing it anyway) to be evil, you must sin, and vice versa. To commit sin, you must know the difference between good and evil, if you do not know the difference then you cannot sin. The story of Adam and Eve represents original sin, or when humans first learned the difference between good and evil.ChampionoChumps

Simply put, evil is something man made. Not being evil is application of limitations to our biological selves to give ourselves inner peace.

Maybe its my limitations but i will never see God as anything other than ominpotent, omniscient and omnibenevolant and as such must take the blame as God created man and knew we would choose evil, you just cant really argue against that can you? Something that will never make sense to me. Unless i am subject to a religious experience and the infallible naature of God becomes slightly more comprehensible to me. But i'm always wanting to learn and know so if there is anything more to know there i'd be glad to hear it.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Palantas

You believe theargument is valid. So I feel comfortable in calling it "your argument," as in, "the argument you are using in this thread." The one that you believe is so self-evident, you can make statements like this...

Lets just get one thing straight here. A Christian God, using logic, cant exist.Ilovegames1992

...with no accompanying explanation. Since you are content to simply reference a well-known philosophical problem, and not actually explore it in any depth, I am happy to be just as lazy and note to this thread's readership that there are a myriad of well-known philosophical solutions to this problem.

Sweet. Well we're on the same page then.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Palantas

...but i will never see God as anything other than ominpotent, omniscient and omnibenevolant...

Ilovegames1992

Then maybe you should change this...

A Christian God, using logic, cant exist.Ilovegames1992

...to read "A Christian God--under my specific interpretation of the nature of God, which I should really write down when making statements like this--using logic, can't exist.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Diviniuz

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]Lets just get one thing straight here. A Christian God, using logic, cant exist.Ilovegames1992

Enlighten me.

Another generally problem with the christian god is the being is suppose to be perfect but clearly isn't. The Christian God has too many human and non-perfect characteristics, probably a product of the bias most religions about it all being centered around people.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

...but i will never see God as anything other than ominpotent, omniscient and omnibenevolant...

Palantas

Then maybe you should change this...

A Christian God, using logic, cant exist.Ilovegames1992

...to read "A Christian God--under my specific interpretation of the nature of God, which I should really write down when making statements like this--using logic, can't exist.

Duly noted.

However i assumed that was everyones definition of a Christian God.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Palantas

Ilovegames1992

Why would you assume that everyone's definition of any abstract concept is identical to your own? If you're familiar with the problem of evil, then you should be familiar with its rebuttals, many of which are based on a different definition of God than the one you're using. Were you unaware that solutions to the problem of evil exist, until I mentioned them a post ago?

ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ChampionoChumps

Ilovegames1992

Maybe its my limitations but i will never see God as anything other than ominpotent, omniscient and omnibenevolant and as such must take the blame as God created man and knew we would choose evil, you just cant really argue against that can you? Something that will never make sense to me. Unless i am subject to a religious experience and the infallible naature of God becomes slightly more comprehensible to me. But i'm always wanting to learn and know so if there is anything more to know there i'd be glad to hear it.

So God must be confined to your definition?
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17701 Posts

I'm a fundamentalist in that I believe the fundamentals of Christianity to be true and I live as if they are true. However, I am not a fundamentalist in the sense that I believe that not everything is worth fighting over. I will fight for the fundamentals of the Gospel (metaphorically speaking) but I do not care to fight over secondary doctrines.mindstorm

Whynot? What makes them any less relevant?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Palantas

Why would you assume that everyone's definition of any abstract concept is identical to your own? If you're familiar with the problem of evil, then you should be familiar with its rebuttals, many of which are based on a different definition of God than the one you're using. Were you unaware that solutions to the problem of evil exist, until I mentioned them a post ago?

A Christian God? I assumed in most if not all cases, a Christian God in religion is an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenelovant being, if i've got that wrong then i apologise, thats what i've grown up with since primary school. Genuinely. No, i knew the arguments and criticisims. I studied it in school.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"] Simply put, evil is something man made. Not being evil is application of limitations to our biological selves to give ourselves inner peace. ChampionoChumps

Read above for answer ^^.

So for curiosity sake, you do not see God possessing that trio of characteristics.

ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 ChampionoChumps

Ilovegames1992

Read above for answer ^^.

So for curiosity sake, you do not see God possessing that trio of characteristics.

I believe God has no limitations.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Palantas

A Christian God? I assumed in most if not all cases, a Christian God in religion is an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenelovant being, if i've got that wrong then i apologise, thats what i've grown up with since primary school. Genuinely. No, i knew the arguments and criticisims. I studied it in school.

Ilovegames1992

No, a Christian God is not necessarily any of those things to all people. In any case, there are solutions to the sin problem that allow for a God that is all of those.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Diviniuz

Enlighten me.

the only way wrong could ever exist is if god itself can be wrong. Wrong is always relative to something, how can wrong be relative when god is everything. Then evil could never be wrong, because if god views evil as wrong, then god is wrong, because god created evil. Thus, unless evil was a mistake (uncapable of), then god created something that defied god, which can't happen because no matter what God does, it can't defy itself. God can't create evil and say its wrong, because the creation of evil was god choice to make and can't be wrong.

Oh and there are no absolute goods and evils, good and evil is only relative to us.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#126 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="sirkibble2"]Well, to answer your question in clarity the bible isn't the only proof but it's among them to answer your question. Well, the bible says that the word was inspired by the Holy Spirit. The bible also says that proof is clear in creation--the world, us, etc. It's complexity, it's beauty, etc. So, there's written proof and there's actual proof also. It's just a choice of believing or not.msfan1289

Just because the Bible says it was inspired by Holy Spirit doesn't mean it was.

How in the world does the complexity and beauty of the world prove God?

If it's a matter of believing or not because God hasn't been proven. If he had been proven,his existence would be as undeniable as the sun rising in the east.

How would you disprove the bible being inspired by the holy spirit?

I don't need to disprove anything. You need to prove it.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="sirkibble2"]Well, to answer your question in clarity the bible isn't the only proof but it's among them to answer your question. Well, the bible says that the word was inspired by the Holy Spirit. The bible also says that proof is clear in creation--the world, us, etc. It's complexity, it's beauty, etc. So, there's written proof and there's actual proof also. It's just a choice of believing or not.sirkibble2

If it's a matter of believing or not because God hasn't been proven. If he had been proven,his existence would be as undeniable as the sun rising in the east.

I see what you're saying. Just because the bible says it was inspired by the Holy Spirit, doesn't mean it's so. I hear you. That makes total sense. When I see this world though and I see the complexity of it as well as human beings even just with the brain and even giving birth, it's hard to believe this world was happen-stance. Know what I mean?

The fact that the sun rises in the east every day can't be nothing else but something that created it. We believe the wind exists and have even felt the wind but have never seen the wind but we know it exists. In the same way, I've never seen God but I know he exists but the tangible elements that exist today.

You can use the complexity of the world as reasoning for a belief in God, but by no means it is proof. Proof would establish that the complexity couldn't have happened any other way. The complexity itself does not establish that.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
How can someone who firmly believes that there is nothing else after this life try and justify telling someone else that how they are living theirs is wrong? How can someone who truely has accepted perhaps one of the most personal struggles being that of God itself ever feel threatened by the existence of people who do not acknowledge their belief's existence? Both questions are good questions. I say to the question of the thread that some are just republicans because of anti abortion and anti homosexual movements, but someone who believes in neither but likes smaller goverment also aligns as republican sometimes. The bible, quran, etc is like U.S.'s constitution. Constantly abused, adapted, manipulated, and to the general populace knowledged endowed only on what benefits them but regardless expects it to shield them even through the lack thereof.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Religious people have lost sense of reality, i think

Zurrur
Or you could say that the human mind is so infinitely complex, that perhaps there are many dispositions towards becoming a religious individual. I'm not sure one should criticize someone for being religious, but rather the acts the individual engages in. A nonreligious man may engage in behaviors that become detrimental to the people in his or her life. Conversely, a religious individual may also engage in these behaviors - but this would mean the man is not truly religious. Saying you're Christian, or Jewish is not enough to make it so. A person has to completely embody the teachings of that religious belief to be considered truly religious, and with most religious beliefs, they serve to ultimately benefit humanity through acts of compassion and goodwill.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Lethalhazard"]

worlock77

While I wouldn't call myself an atheist it's really not hard to not believe in something that has no proof.

This is a good point. In our daily lives, we constantly don't believe in things with no proof, and think that's logical, yet when one does it with God, it's somehow illogical. I don't buy that.

Trying to prove that there's no God is highly illogical because it can't be done. But simply not believing there is a God due lack of evidence is perfectly logical.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#131 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

Lethalhazard

You can't disprove there being an invisible floating squid that you can neither feel nor see. There's no point in considering its possbility of existence. Well, even that is less silly than "The Lord."

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Palantas

You can't disprove there being an invisible floating squid that you can neither feel nor see. There's no point in considering its possbility of existence. Well, even that is less silly than "The Lord."

SparkyProtocol

You just ended the thread and made me an atheist. I think it was MrGeezer who said the other day something like, "All the arguments about religion here involve the same people writing the same arguments as if it's some great revelation."

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]Don't force your views on other people?LiftedHeadshot
I am?

You are, there are many forms and levels of religion. It is not up to you to define what people choose to believe in.

Piroshki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Piroshki
Member since 2011 • 242 Posts
I've often wondered the same thing. A growing number of Christians I know carry New Testament only now, in fact, discounting half their holy book. (yet these same people would protest at a school where the ten commandments had been posted and were ordered taken down, despite their being derived from the OT, a book whose God is so obviously vile and evil they don't even read it anymore) Never realizing that they cannot divorce themselves from the evils of that book. Yahweh, the blood engorged beast of the desert, is their God, the "father" of their savior. Their savior depends on the prophecies of the OT for his divinity. (as well as the ones made up for the NT that can't be found in the OT, which is another reason why Jesus doesn't even qualify as the savior of prophecy in those books) "Well yeah I believe in the bible, except that part, and that part was allegory... of but that was just symbolism!" Well, how do you know the whole damn thing isn't allegory and symbolism? Who really gets to pick and choose? The only obvious qualifications seem to be "Is it inconvenient for us/sounds so ridiculous or blatantly evil that we can't defend it anymore? Allegory and symbolism, obviously!". If it's one of those rare good bits, the proverbial single red rose in a massive bush of thorns, then they label as something to be taken seriously and literally. Pick and choose, pick and choose. All the "proof" for their God lies in the bible, and given it's true origins, and the long history of edits and forgeries that lead to it's transformation from a polytheistic book to a monotheistic one, with the god of war, Yahweh, assuming the mantle of the one god, I can't believe in it a bit. While I certainly cannot say their definitely is no god at all, the god of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam has been given fairly certain characteristics by their respective holy books, and the holy books themselves are by default evidence as well. These can be used to prove that the great one god of the three major religions is, without a doubt, imaginary. This should be cause for a collective sigh of relief too, he was far too human to be god.
jak275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 jak275
Member since 2007 • 431 Posts

and not be a fundamentalist?

If you don't take the scripture word for word, how can you call yourself a Christian, or a Muslim, etc.

Scripture is the only "proof" of your Gods, so if you aren't a fundamentalist believer, how can you call yourself a believer at all?

Or is it justifiable to believe in your religion while not fully believing in your scripture?

Discuss.

LiftedHeadshot
Everyone interprets the scripture differently, and so there are people who find "fundamentalist" Christians to be hypocrites.
msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

[QUOTE="msfan1289"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

excuse me? yes you do, how do you know the holy spirit didn't inspired it? what did you live that long ago? did you have something to do with writing the bible? did you whiteness it? how can you say that with a 100% and get ask to prove it.

and i dont need to prove anything, because anything i bring up as proof will be shot down, no matter if i bring in people testimonials and stuff like that you will just find a way to say "no no that's not true" even tho those people can say 100% what happened to them or what they saw.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#138 sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts

You can use the complexity of the world as reasoning for a belief in God, but by no means it is proof. Proof would establish that the complexity couldn't have happened any other way. The complexity itself does not establish that.

GreySeal9

I agree with you.

I'm just not sure what you believe or what the general thought of people in this topic who are not Christian believe but using the "everything was created through an explosion" surely does not make any logical sense. This is the only time in history where an explosion actually created something and to create something so complex? Thinking about photosynthesis, pregnancy, our bodies itself, it's too complex to be created by nothing other than someone that created it; that designed it. Even if everything evolved from a single cell, that one single cell had all of the universe, every living thing in it or even just one of something and most of everything evolved from it? That would blow my mind and even if that happened, there has to be something beyond anything natural for that to occur.

That's what I mean by the complexity as being proof.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Palantas

A growing number of Christians I know carry New Testament only now, in fact, discounting half their holy book.Piroshki

They "carry" it? In what sense? If you mean literally, then this may come as news to you, but Bibles with just the New Testament are not a new thing. And they exist more as a function of portability than doctrine.

Mehdi-Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#140 Mehdi-Y
Member since 2008 • 1028 Posts

So we're on again? I seriously wish OT would drop discussing religion all the time.

It's pointless.:x

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 worlock77

So we're on again? I seriously wish OT would drop discussing religion all the time.

Mehdi-Y

No one's forcing you to open these threads. You are perfectly free to ignore them.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#142 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
sigh Atheists always continuously forcing their views on others... I'm not religious or Athiest really but it gets tiresome with the large amount of topics about this on Gamespot, just the same thing repeatedly said.
Mehdi-Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#143 Mehdi-Y
Member since 2008 • 1028 Posts

[QUOTE="Mehdi-Y"]

worlock77

No one's forcing you to open these threads. You are perfectly free to ignore them.

No one's forcing you to quote me. You are perfectly free to ignore my post.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 worlock77

sigh Atheists always continuously forcing their views on others... I'm not religious or Athiest really but it gets tiresome with the large amount of topics about this on Gamespot, just the same thing repeatedly said.shadowkiller11

Posting in a public forum isn't forcing ones views on anyone. Attempting to make laws based on religious doctrine is.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Mehdi-Y"]

Mehdi-Y

No one's forcing you to quote me. You are perfectly free to ignore my post.

Wow, clever.

blaze_adeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#146 blaze_adeel
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts

so what i can understand from the TC is that being fundamentalist is a bad thing ?? i fail to understand how? if a muslim is a fundamentalist muslim then he is a good musllim .if any hindu/christian is a fundamentalist hindu/christian then he is a good hindu/christian . just like a doctor has to be fundamentalist in his field to be a good doctor. a mathematician has to be a fundamentalist to be a good mathematician . if a mathematician doesnt know 2+2 is 4 then he has his basics(fundamentals) wrong and he is not a good mathematician

i am a muslim and i consider myself afundamentalist muslim .i try to follow what my religion tells me .as i am a muslim i can only talk for Islam .Islam is not a Mahzab i.e religion Islam is Deen i.e way of life .Islam guides you through every suitation of life .Islam doesnt want to you to follow some of its commandments that favour you and not follow the commandants that seem unprofitable to you ,like if Islam says drink milk and eat dates you follow the teachings and when Islam says help poor peoplefinancially you refuse to obey.so either youtry tofollow every teaching of Islam or you dont follow any meaning that either you are a fundamentalist muslim or you are not a muslim .and i am sure every religion is like this

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="msfan1289"]

thegerg

No, he doesn't. No one has to prove anything here.

What I am saying is that before anybody goes about proving that the Holy Spirit didn't inspire the Bible, it needs to be established that it did. Otherwise, what is there to disprove?

He is taking issue with my argument that the Bible is not proof of God by asking me to disprove that it was inspired by the Holy Spirit. So doesn't it make sense that before I do that (and I really wouldn't waste my time with that because it's not something that can be proven or disproven), he actually establishes in some way that it was inspired by the Holy Spirit?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="msfan1289"]

msfan1289

excuse me? yes you do, how do you know the holy spirit didn't inspired it? what did you live that long ago? did you have something to do with writing the bible? did you whiteness it? how can you say that with a 100% and get ask to prove it.

and i dont need to prove anything, because anything i bring up as proof will be shot down, no matter if i bring in people testimonials and stuff like that you will just find a way to say "no no that's not true" even tho those people can say 100% what happened to them or what they saw.

I didn't say the holy spirit didn't inspire it. I don't know one way or the other (though I think it's more likely that the Bible is not divinely inspired). I simply said that the scripture is not proof of God. If you think it is, then you should demonstrate why, not ask me prove a negative.

The things you will bring up will probably be shoot down because they are not proof. Testimonials are not proof.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 GreySeal9

so what i can understand from the TC is that being fundamentalist is a bad thing ?? i fail to understand how? if a muslim is a fundamentalist muslim then he is a good musllim .if any hindu/christian is a fundamentalist hindu/christian then he is a good hindu/christian . just like a doctor has to be fundamentalist in his field to be a good doctor. a mathematician has to be a fundamentalist to be a good mathematician . if a mathematician doesnt know 2+2 is 4 then he has his basics(fundamentals) wrong and he is not a good mathematician

i am a muslim and i consider myself afundamentalist muslim .i try to follow what my religion tells me .as i am a muslim i can only talk for Islam .Islam is not a Mahzab i.e religion Islam is Deen i.e way of life .Islam guides you through every suitation of life .Islam doesnt want to you to follow some of its commandments that favour you and not follow the commandants that seem unprofitable to you ,like if Islam says drink milk and eat dates you follow the teachings and when Islam says help poor peoplefinancially you refuse to obey.so either youtry tofollow every teaching of Islam or you dont follow any meaning that either you are a fundamentalist muslim or you are not a muslim .and i am sure every religion is like this

blaze_adeel

Fundamentalism is not inherently a bad thing, but sometimes it can have a negative effect on society.

I don't think a strong Christian/Muslim or whatever=a fundamentalist Christian/Muslim or whatever.

That's not to say that a fundamentalist can't be a good member of their religion. It just means that being a strong believer of a religion does not have to lead to fundamentalism, which is essentially an interpretation so literal that it can be unreasonable.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean there are anymore logical than a religious person. ive met some pretty dumb atheist just like i have met some dumb religious people. i find some atheist to be zealous with their lack of belief just like some of the people at my mosque are zealous with islam. the important thing is to be moderate with whatever your belief is. i think it's arrogant to think just because you do not believe in God that it makes you somehow more intelligent than someone who is part of a faith.