How can you possibly be religious

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

and not be a fundamentalist?

If you don't take the scripture word for word, how can you call yourself a Christian, or a Muslim, etc.

Scripture is the only "proof" of your Gods, so if you aren't a fundamentalist believer, how can you call yourself a believer at all?

Or is it justifiable to believe in your religion while not fully believing in your scripture?

Discuss.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Don't force your views on other people?
SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SilverSignal
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
Ahh the joys of Atheism...
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

This is why I just don't believe in anything.

That way, no one can actually question anything other than my lack of belief in anything.

And then I just direct them to nonsense like this.

kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kulmiye
Member since 2004 • 12094 Posts
Once you start to believe in God all sorts of miracles occur where you can actually have a conversation with him.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Religious people have lost sense of reality, i think

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
Don't force your views on other people?DroidPhysX
I am?
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]Don't force your views on other people?LiftedHeadshot
I am?

I'm answering your question...
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Once you start to believe in God all sorts of miracles occur where you can actually have a conversation with him.kulmiye

I believe in the Ghost of Abraham Lincoln.

Sometimes I pray to him,and about half the time, he answers my prayers. The other half he doesn't.

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

Sometimes assumption is easier than logic.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

You can still be smart and sensible if you're religious.

kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kulmiye

[QUOTE="kulmiye"]Once you start to believe in God all sorts of miracles occur where you can actually have a conversation with him.-TheSecondSign-

I believe in the Ghost of Abraham Lincoln.

Sometimes I pray to him,and about half the time, he answers my prayers. The other half he doesn't.

Sprits are born with free will, God on the other hand has an obligation.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

It can be interpreted in many different ways... I don't think there's any such thing as a "fundamentalist"...

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Zurrur
Yet again I wonder how OT can take itself so seriously.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

I'm not religious at all, but I don't get how people, especially atheists, say "buh-buh-but the Bible is clearly full of nonsense. Snakes can't talk!" and then applaud the symbolism in another innane piece of literature. What I'm trying to say is that fundamentalism is a stupid way to view something that is so open to interpretation.

And people who have a obsession with proving or disproving the existence of a giant space wizard known as "God" are quite annoying as well. They miss the fact that there are rules to live by in the Quran, Torah, Bible, etc. which is a big reason as to why people follow those religions.

Mephers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Mephers
Member since 2010 • 720 Posts
Half the people in here trying to sound intelligent and bash religion cant even properly construct a sentence. The joys of the internet. Where angry youths can be certain of their adolescent logic
kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kulmiye
[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Verge_6

Quit refering OT as some sort of entity. It's done nothing to you.
SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SilverSignal
[QUOTE="kulmiye"][QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Your the one sounding a bit too serious. :)
kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kulmiye
[QUOTE="SilverSignal"] Your the one sounding a bit too serious. :)

I sense good intentions yet I can't help but feel insulted.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Zurrur"]

kulmiye

[spoiler] Case in point [/spoiler]

I refer to it as a community. A community that tends to take itself more seriously than it should. Problem?

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
First off OT define "fundamentalist". I want to see if we share the same definition.
kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kulmiye

I refer to it as a community. A community that tends to take itself more seriously than it should. Problem?Verge_6
No probelmo. Just defending the little rights that Mr/Ms OT has.

[spoiler] I take this real serious to point of breaking peoples necks around here bro [/spoiler]

SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SilverSignal
[QUOTE="SilverSignal"] Your the one sounding a bit too serious. :)kulmiye
I sense good intentions yet I can't help but feel insulted.

I couldn't tell whether you were joking or not. So I just assumed not as most people are too serious on here. Sorry I'm a bit confused now.
Cow4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cow4ever
Member since 2011 • 689 Posts

If you don't take the scripture word for word, how can you call yourself a Christian, or a Muslim, etc.

Scripture is the only "proof" of your Gods, so if you aren't a fundamentalist believer, how can you call yourself a believer at all?

Or is it justifiable to believe in your religion while not fully believing in your scripture?

Discuss.

LiftedHeadshot

You don't have to belong to a certain religious denomination to believe in God

oh and WOLOLO WOLOLO WOLOLO

kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kulmiye
[QUOTE="SilverSignal"] I couldn't tell whether you were joking or not. So I just assumed not as most people are too serious on here. Sorry I'm a bit confused now.

And this is why we can't have good things around here.
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
Hinduism is an abstract religion, many people preach it as a 'way of life' in which its not set in stone. Sure they believe in gods, but there are different sects. Some people believe that all the 'idols' represent one greater consciousness or god. Others will choose a specific one and worship that. I am going through a period in my life where I don't know if I believe in god. I am a scientific-thinking person so my instincts tell me I don't believe in god and I shouldn't. But then there is a part of me that wants to believe in god - as an assurance that there is a 'higher power' watching. I guess that's one of the reasons religions became so prevalent in human culture(Not meaning to offend other people, these are only my beliefs)
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I think there are multiple interpretations of religion and only the most die hard anti deist would be a big enough jerk or ignorant to not consider these notions.

I think of the stories in the Bible as ones that are more like moral tales to give people guidance, some might be true some might not and some might be exaggerated. Whether or not you believe Jesus had powers or was real, its hard to argue he wasn't a good influence in his selflessness, and calling yourself a Christian doesn't mean you take every tale as a fact that must be followed to the letter.

akdiuuuryttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 akdiuuuryttt
Member since 2005 • 2854 Posts

i dont know if any religion exists, so i cant exactly beleive in it. im not going to deny it as in 100% for sure because you never know

before i was thinking how could GOD actually exist. it makes no sense how he could but then i thought how can any of this exist and make sense? where does this come from. people talk about the big bang but where did that very small thing that turned into the universe come from? confusing :(

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

Discuss.

LiftedHeadshot

The Bible is a book that covers the most important values of life, so of course people would interpret some things differently.

msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

Discuss.

LiftedHeadshot

everyone is human enough said

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

My religion agrees with science for the most part, so I'm not a fundamentalist. Way to generalize all religious people. In fact, I believe in science and find it very interesting, and I am religious. Problem?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

I posted this in my alt account on The Atheism Union board. Seems like a good place to repost it as I'd like to hear thoughts from the OT crew:

This has kind of been bugging me lately, and I would like to hear yall's opinions on it.

All too often I hear the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, some say it is and live their lives as such. But many interpret its teachings to fit better with their life, picking some things to follow and others to disregard. For example, my father's a Mormon. He LOVES beer. Has two kegs in an outside reefer. Of course, Mormons don't drink alcohol and consider it a sin, and I've confronted him with this and asked him what his justification is, and he explains that there's some loophole in the teachings that can be interpreted in different ways.

My point is, what is the point of having any faith at all if it can be modified and seen in any light one chooses? Doesn't that fundamentally defeat the purpose of believing, period? If you're not going to strictly adhere to a certain ethical, moral, spiritual code or whathaveyou, it essentially falls apart and breaks down, and while doing so also potentially invalidates or weakens all other tenants in that system as they are all dependant on one another to some extent. Just like how words are defined by other words. You change one definition and it will affect the other.

We live in a world of laws, laid down by courts and society. These are not flexible nor open to interpretation (as much as can be helped), so why should faith be given a free pass? I heavily disagree with fundies, but I have to admit I admire their discipline and loyalty to what they believe, no matter how absurd it may be. In my eyes, you either believe in your faith entirely, or you don't. There is no agnosticism.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts

I posted this in my alt account on The Atheism Union board. Seems like a good place to repost it as I'd like to hear thoughts from the OT crew:

This has kind of been bugging me lately, and I would like to hear yall's opinions on it.

All too often I hear the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, some say it is and live their lives as such. But many interpret its teachings to fit better with their life, picking some things to follow and others to disregard. For example, my father's a Mormon. He LOVES beer. Has two kegs in an outside reefer. Of course, Mormons don't drink alcohol and consider it a sin, and I've confronted him with this and asked him what his justification is, and he explains that there's some loophole in the teachings that can be interpreted in different ways.

My point is, what is the point of having any faith at all if it can be modified and seen in any light one chooses? Doesn't that fundamentally defeat the purpose of believing, period? If you're not going to strictly adhere to a certain ethical, moral, spiritual code or whathaveyou, it essentially falls apart and breaks down, and while doing so also potentially invalidates or weakens all other tenants in that system as they are all dependant on one another to some extent.

We live in a world of laws, laid down by courts and society. These are not flexible nor open to interpretation (as much as can be helped), so why should faith be given a free pass? I heavily disagree with fundies, but I have to admit I admire their discipline and loyalty to what they believe, no matter how absurd it may be. In my eyes, you either believe in your faith entirely, or you don't. There is no agnosticism.

MirkoS77
So you're saying that since your father likes to drink, he might as well be an atheist and that makes all the other laws that he adheres to pointless. Ok, that makes sense... A sinner can still believe in God. We are all sinners. Also being agnostic means that you believe that the ultimate purpose of the universe and everything that is in it is unknowable.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

How can you possibly be religious and not be a fundamentalist?

That's easy:

Step 1:

1. Be religious.

2. Don't be a fundamentalist.

In seriousness, religion, atleast in secular countries, has long since entered a phase in which religion is more self-defined, and that why people can interpret in such a way to avoid fundamentalism, and that is a good thing.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GreySeal9

First off OT define "fundamentalist". I want to see if we share the same definition.alexside1

I think the TC is talking about people that take religious books very literally.

That being said, some aspects of religious texts are so amibiguous that fundamentalist will end up inserting their own interpretations anyway.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts

Discuss.

LiftedHeadshot
How is scripture the only "proof" of any god?

I don't think there is a justification for people who believe but don't walk it out. If they truly believed, they would walk it out. I'm not saying they may not struggle with it or have questions but they would be walking it out in some form or fashion consistently.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

I believe in a Christian God and I do not agree with everything in the Bible...sue me..

Seriously though if your topic was correct then you could not possibly be a liberal and be a christian because of christian ideology sometimes going in a different direction..now does that make sense

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="LiftedHeadshot"]

Discuss.

sirkibble2

How is scripture the only "proof" of any god?

I don't think there is a justification for people who believe but don't walk it out. If they truly believed, they would walk it out. I'm not saying they may not struggle with it or have questions but they would be walking it out in some form or fashion consistently.

It's not since scripture is not proof of God at all.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sirkibble2

GreySeal9

How is it not proof? That's what I'm not understanding?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

sirkibble2

Because proof establishes something to be true.

For instance, how does the Bible prove that God does indeed exist?

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Eh I had a discussion like this with my mum the other day. She believes in God and certain Roman Catholic things, but I asked her how/why she doesn't believe in miracles or has the same zealousness as a few people she knows (she knows a few people who I think have psychological problems that show up as religious zealousness).

Anyway, her response was simply "I just don't," which I found to be just a tad hypocritical; but it seems to be a reccuring theme with religious folk to just take what parts they want and ignore the rest. I just don't understand it. Is it not an all or nothing thing?

msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

[QUOTE="sirkibble2"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

*face plam*

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="sirkibble2"]

msfan1289

*face plam*

Is that facepalm meant for me?

If so, why?

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Eh I had a discussion like this with my mum the other day. She believes in God and certain Roman Catholic things, but I asked her how/why she doesn't believe in miracles or has the same zealousness as a few people she knows (she knows a few people who I think have psychological problems that show up as religious zealousness).

Anyway, her response was simply "I just don't," which I found to be just a tad hypocritical; but it seems to be a reccuring theme with religious folk to just take what parts they want and ignore the rest. I just don't understand it. Is it not an all or nothing thing?

DigitalExile

Read the thread we already answered this its not...

People are not forced to believe in everything in the koran, bible, etc. to believe in their religious entity. Just because you do not agree with her does not mean shes wrong.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sirkibble2
Well, to answer your question in clarity the bible isn't the only proof but it's among them to answer your question. Well, the bible says that the word was inspired by the Holy Spirit. The bible also says that proof is clear in creation--the world, us, etc. It's complexity, it's beauty, etc. So, there's written proof and there's actual proof also. It's just a choice of believing or not.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Read the thread we already answered this its not...

People are not forced to believe in everything in the koran, bible, etc. to believe in their religious entity. Just because you do not agree with her does not mean shes wrong.

fueled-system

I don't have to read the whole thread to answer the OP. If the question was answered and no one has anything to add the thread should be closed. That's not the case.

I never said she was wrong, I said she's being a hypocrite believing in a divine being, but not adhering to the rules and practices of the religious group she claims to be a part of. Furthermore, her friends/people she knows, believe they have divine experiences on a regular basis, but she thinks they all have psychological issues. It's okay for her to believe in a divine being and divine events (she believes major natural disasters are god "taking back the planet") but not for others to have regular divine experiences.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GreySeal9

Well, to answer your question in clarity the bible isn't the only proof but it's among them to answer your question. Well, the bible says that the word was inspired by the Holy Spirit. The bible also says that proof is clear in creation--the world, us, etc. It's complexity, it's beauty, etc. So, there's written proof and there's actual proof also. It's just a choice of believing or not.sirkibble2

Just because the Bible says it was inspired by Holy Spirit doesn't mean it was.

How in the world does the complexity and beauty of the world prove God?

If it's a matter of believing or not because God hasn't been proven. If he had been proven,his existence would be as undeniable as the sun rising in the east.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sirkibble2

[QUOTE="sirkibble2"]Well, to answer your question in clarity the bible isn't the only proof but it's among them to answer your question. Well, the bible says that the word was inspired by the Holy Spirit. The bible also says that proof is clear in creation--the world, us, etc. It's complexity, it's beauty, etc. So, there's written proof and there's actual proof also. It's just a choice of believing or not.GreySeal9

Just because the Bible says it was inspired by Holy Spirit doesn't mean it was.

How in the world does the complexity and beauty of the world prove God?

If it's a matter of believing or not because God hasn't been proven. If he had been proven,his existence would be as undeniable as the sun rising in the east.

I see what you're saying. Just because the bible says it was inspired by the Holy Spirit, doesn't mean it's so. I hear you. That makes total sense. When I see this world though and I see the complexity of it as well as human beings even just with the brain and even giving birth, it's hard to believe this world was happen-stance. Know what I mean?

The fact that the sun rises in the east every day can't be nothing else but something that created it. We believe the wind exists and have even felt the wind but have never seen the wind but we know it exists. In the same way, I've never seen God but I know he exists but the tangible elements that exist today.