How can anyone willingly choose to smoke cigarettes today

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 0

#1 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I understand this whole thing about it being your choice and I can do whatever I want with my body. None the less I'm 16 years old and I know a ton of kids who smoke cigarettes. Weed is fine, even Hookah but cigarettes? We all know how bad that crap is for you and the medical effects it has. It's addictive and it kills thousands of people everyday. Even now movies don't even show smoking, there are no ads in TV where I live, it's not even a part of society it seems as there are so many laws against it.

What is the point? I could post pictures from facebook of the millions of kids I know that do but that'd be rude and violating their privacy.

EDIT: I have nothing against cigarettes, I just wonder how people can choose with all this crap in the media about it
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Because it gets you high.
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts
They probably just think it's cool.
KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts
As you said, because I can.
SavedLungs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 SavedLungs
Member since 2008 • 455 Posts
They probably just think it's cool.Gamer4Iife
Yep. Exactly.
Mr_Leonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mr_Leonis
Member since 2007 • 4615 Posts
Coolness is aparently more important than living. :?
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

Because it gets you high.
MrGeezer

This.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="Gamer4Iife"]They probably just think it's cool.SavedLungs
Yep. Exactly.

I'm sure that's why people were smoking it before Jesus was born.

That's one long-lasting fad.

dangerd0g24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dangerd0g24
Member since 2008 • 1455 Posts
well i started smoking because of the buzz you get when you first start now i just do it cause i can. weed is cool also. hooka is kinda stupid though.
judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 judge__judy
Member since 2005 • 2129 Posts
Because everyone has different opinions. I agree though Ive never smoked a cigarette but Ive done weed. Dont really care about weed either.. heh
criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 criinok
Member since 2006 • 1478 Posts

I really don't see what's so bad about smoking, even with the 'bad' effects..

I mean, I'm not old enough to smoke yet, but..

It's not like smoking kills you automatically. You still have plenty of life to live... And saying that smoking kills is just a propoganda technique.. >_>

If you're religious and smoke and die, live a good life and you'll recieve a good afterlife.

If you're an Atheist and smoke and die, live life and die.

That should be it.

What's wrong with dying if you should be ready for it when you start smoking?

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
Eh, I have friends who smoke. I dont mind it, but Im not going to start.
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

It's not like smoking kills you automatically. You still have plenty of life to live... And saying that smoking kills is just a propoganda technique.. >_>

If you're religious and smoke and die, live a good life and you'll recieve a good afterlife.

That should be it.

criinok
You should be ready for death when you leave your mothers womb.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Because its the only legal plant people can smoke?
criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 criinok
[QUOTE="criinok"]

That should be it.

Matt-4542

You should be ready for death when you leave your mothers womb.

Which is why smoking isn't bad, imo ;)

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toriko42
I don't mind it, a lot of my friends do and people do on the streets I don't care.

But the fact is it kind of puzzles me how people can start knowing all this stuff. So far I'm getting good stuff though
MrKittyCat1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 MrKittyCat1234
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts

How can anyone willingly choose to smoke cigarettes today

Easy I walk into the store and promptly ask the sir and madam behind the register "A pack of camel wide menthols please."

I pay the good person and take my leave. But yes its kinda of pointless Its phycological stress relief for some people but i quit for 1 1/2 months now just because I feel like taking a break..... This thread is now making me decide to go upstairs get my marlboro lights i keep just for what ever reason....@_@

BiOZiGzAg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 BiOZiGzAg
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

Weed is fine, even Hookah but cigarettes?
Toriko42

This stuff is just as bad, 1 is even illegal... So why hate cigarettes :P

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Deity_Slapper
Member since 2008 • 2615 Posts

criinok

It's a long, slow, painful, sickly death. Every drag you take, injects more poison into your body. Slowly eroding your organs away. It's so dumb.

Talking about cigarettes of course, not the majestic herb cannabis.

stedtfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 stedtfeld
Member since 2008 • 1506 Posts
I think that any drug, cigarette, alcohol should be illegal. I have no idea why someone would choose to smoke.
VikingBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VikingBeard
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts
Yesterday I bought a carton for 15 bucks
Avatar image for JetB1ackNewYear
JetB1ackNewYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JetB1ackNewYear
Member since 2007 • 2931 Posts
smoking anything imo is stupid. its just wasting your life and money away.
criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 criinok
[QUOTE="criinok"]

Deity_Slapper

It's a long, slow, painful, sickly death. Every drag you take, injects more poison into your body. Slowly eroding your organs away. It's so dumb.

Talking about cigarettes of course, not the majestic herb cannabis.

But if it's such a long and painful experience every single time people take a drag, why would so many people do it...?

P.S.- I believe you have the greatest user name on Gamespot... ever.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer

Yesterday I bought a carton for 15 bucksVikingBeard

That's a great deal!

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Toriko42

[QUOTE="Toriko42"] Weed is fine, even Hookah but cigarettes?
BiOZiGzAg

I don't hate them, I'm fine with people smoking it but I just wonder how people can choose to

This stuff is just as bad, 1 is even illegal... So why hate cigarettes :P

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts

I think people just use cigarettes to look cool and as some sort of lame (and totally fake) stress relief.

I personally find it to be the dumbest habit on the planet and am much more understanding of those who smoke marijuana even though it's illegal because that actually gives you a high....

VikingBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VikingBeard
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

[QUOTE="VikingBeard"]Yesterday I bought a carton for 15 bucksMrGeezer

That's a great deal!

Yeah, but their native reserve smokes. Has more chemicals and such added to them.

tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tarunramesh
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts

dude if smoking isnt alright, then weed isnt alright and for that sake any drug isnt alright. If u treasure yourself and value the life youve been given you wont be doing anything as stupid as drugs or alchoal, sex on the other hand hahah u just gotta use potection. Im not religious or nothing im agnostic but seriouly if u value your life u woulnt do any such thing just for stress relief or for getting high. There are many other ways to enjoy and relieve stress.

Stress relief - short nap, meditation, exercise

getting high - play games with freinds, follow your dream, learn to develope a good humor and laugh at everything

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer

I think people just use cigarettes to look cool and as some sort of lame (and totally fake) stress relief.

I personally find it to be the dumbest habit on the planet and am much more understanding of those who smoke marijuana even though it's illegal because that actually gives you a high....

Thechaninator

We've already been over this. Smoking tobacco gets you high. I honestly don't know how ANYONE can be ignorant enough to truly seriously think that smoking tobacco produces no euphoric effects, and that people have consistently been smoking it for THOUSANDS of years just to look cool.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

a few things I dont like about smoking

1. it smells bad

2. kissing a girl who smokes tastes terrible

3. its a waste of money.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Deity_Slapper

We've already been over this. Smoking tobacco gets you high. I honestly don't know how ANYONE can be ignorant enough to truly seriously think that smoking tobacco produces no euphoric effects, and that people have consistently been smoking it for THOUSANDS of years just to look cool.

MrGeezer

The negatives FAR outweigh any positives. If you're really a "geezer", you should know that. :roll:

phil1472

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 phil1472
Member since 2008 • 340 Posts

I understand this whole thing about it being your choice and I can do whatever I want with my body. None the less I'm 16 years old and I know a ton of kids who smoke cigarettes. Weed is fine, even Hookah but cigarettes? We all know how bad that crap is for you and the medical effects it has. It's addictive and it kills thousands of people everyday. Even now movies don't even show smoking, there are no ads in TV where I live, it's not even a part of society it seems as there are so many laws against it.

What is the point? I could post pictures from facebook of the millions of kids I know that do but that'd be rude and violating their privacy.

EDIT: I have nothing against cigarettes, I just wonder how people can choose with all this crap in the media about itToriko42

the biggest question this raises is why do nonesmokers care so much that smokers are lighting up. every one who smokes has a reason theres proally lots of reason but the last thing any smoker wants to do is explain themselves to a non smoker.. i mean some non smokers realease so much smug its gotta be worse that cigareete smoke. (south park refrence)

criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 criinok

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]I understand this whole thing about it being your choice and I can do whatever I want with my body. None the less I'm 16 years old and I know a ton of kids who smoke cigarettes. Weed is fine, even Hookah but cigarettes? We all know how bad that crap is for you and the medical effects it has. It's addictive and it kills thousands of people everyday. Even now movies don't even show smoking, there are no ads in TV where I live, it's not even a part of society it seems as there are so many laws against it.

EDIT: I have nothing against cigarettes, I just wonder how people can choose with all this crap in the media about itphil1472

the biggest question this raises is why do nonesmokers care so much that smokers are lighting up. every one who smokes has a reason theres proally lots of reason but the last thing any smoker wants to do is explain themselves to a non smoker.. i mean some non smokers realease so much smug its gotta be worse that cigareete smoke. (south park refrence)

One of the best responses on here for sure.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Toriko42

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]I understand this whole thing about it being your choice and I can do whatever I want with my body. None the less I'm 16 years old and I know a ton of kids who smoke cigarettes. Weed is fine, even Hookah but cigarettes? We all know how bad that crap is for you and the medical effects it has. It's addictive and it kills thousands of people everyday. Even now movies don't even show smoking, there are no ads in TV where I live, it's not even a part of society it seems as there are so many laws against it.

EDIT: I have nothing against cigarettes, I just wonder how people can choose with all this crap in the media about itphil1472

I don't mind if someone lights up around me, it's just why?
Poedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Poedon
Member since 2002 • 2594 Posts

dude if smoking isnt alright, then weed isnt alright and for that sake any drug isnt alright. If u treasure yourself and value the life youve been given you wont be doing anything as stupid as drugs or alchoal, sex on the other hand hahah u just gotta use potection. Im not religious or nothing im agnostic but seriouly if u value your life u woulnt do any such thing just for stress relief or for getting high. There are many other ways to enjoy and relieve stress.

Stress relief - short nap, meditation, exercise

getting high - play games with freinds, follow your dream, learn to develope a good humor and laugh at everything

tarunramesh

We all have to die somehow anyway. Who are you to decide how i am going to die? I quit smoking years ago, but as long as the facts are known, l think people should make their own decisoins. Most prepared food is bad, most of the drinks are bad, the air is bad, everything is bad for you. Let people at least make their own decisions on how they want to die.

To the dude who bought a carton for $15. I noticed that in New Jersey cartons of Cigs are $62 a piece!!

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
I don't know why. I know a 14 year old who has started smoking and I'm guessing he did it just look cool seeing as he's the biggest attention whore I know. Smoking is disgusting, who wants to kiss a chick whose mouth smells/tastes like tar?
Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Deity_Slapper

But if it's such a long and painful experience every single time people take a drag, why would so many people do it...? criinok

Addiction.

P.S.- I believe you have the greatest user name on Gamespot... ever.

criinok

I know. Thanks. :)

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Toriko42
I don't know why. I know a 14 year old who has started smoking and I'm guessing he did it just look cool seeing as he's the biggest attention whore I know. Smoking is disgusting, who wants to kiss a chick whose mouth smells/tastes like tar?Juggernaut140
And it gets in your clothes. Of course removing the ladies clothes solves the problem
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

lulz at the SP refference but serious I will repeat myself on why I care about other people lighting up.

1. it smells bad, and it makes the person who smokes smell bad.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Toriko42
[QUOTE="phil1472"]

EDIT: I have nothing against cigarettes, I just wonder how people can choose with all this crap in the media about itlaughingman42

lulz at the SP refference but serious I will repeat myself

1. it smells bad, and it makes the person who smokes smell bad.

Smoking has far more negatives then positives...

So do a lot of things though that bring people joy
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
My girlfriend tried smoking for 2 weeks (she's in EU right now). She said it's kinda like spitting in the face of all the family members who died of cancer though so she decided to quit (plus health reasons, and stereotyping bothers her; most smokers where I come from are stereotyped as unimportant idiots although it's not true) and I feel the same way with my family. I also view it as a weakness in the person, as they decide that a short-lived pleasant feeling is better than their own longterm health. It seems like a poor judgmental decision, plus it generally makes you smell bad. :P
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

Deity_Slapper

The negatives FAR outweigh any positives. If you're really a "geezer", you should know that. :roll:

He wasn't discussing reltive merits vs the detriments, though. He was making a statement that "looking cool" is the only benefit. And that is a very stupid stupid claim.

It gets you high, that's why people smoke it. We could make an argument that the negatives of smoking pot outweigh the positives, but all the kids here are still willing to get arrested just to get high off of a little bit of pot.

We could argue whether any particular drug is worth doing. People obviously disagree on this, that's why some people smoke weed and some people don't. That's why some people smoke tobacco and some people don't. That's why some people drink booze and some people don't, and why some people shoot heroin and some people don't. The people who start doing it think that it's worth doing, and the other people don't. This applies to ANY drug.

But this was a thread about why people smoke tobacco. And the answer is the same as for pretty much EVERY recreational drug...because it gets them high. End of story. If someone is gonna be naive enough to say that tobacco is the only rectreational drug that has endured for thousands of years as a mere fad, and doesn't provide any other desirable effects to the user, then I will certainly point out how stupid such a claim is.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

MrGeezer

As I mentioned the stress relief which is what you are referring to is completely fake.

Thing is the second you smoke the cigarettes get you addicted and they actually make you feel a bit more depressed and stressed and then only the smoking makes it go away.

If you think you are getting high you are REALLY fooling yourself. You simply locked yourself into a trap where it takes a cigarette to make you feel normal/happy.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Deity_Slapper
[QUOTE="Deity_Slapper"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

He wasn't discussing reltive merits vs the detriments, though. He was making a statement that "looking cool" is the only benefit. And that is a very stupid stupid claim.

It gets you high, that's why people smoke it. We could make an argument that the negatives of smoking pot outweigh the positives, but all the kids here are still willing to get arrested just to get high off of a little bit of pot.

We could argue whether any particular drug is worth doing. People obviously disagree on this, that's why some people smoke weed and some people don't. That's why some people smoke tobacco and some people don't. That's why some people drink booze and some people don't, and why some people shoot heroin and some people don't. The people who start doing it think that it's worth doing, and the other people don't. This applies to ANY drug.

But this was a thread about why people smoke tobacco. And the answer is the same as for pretty much EVERY recreational drug...because it gets them high. End of story. If someone is gonna be naive enough to say that tobacco is the only rectreational drug that has endured for thousands of years as a mere fad, and doesn't provide any other desirable effects to the user, then I will certainly point out how stupid such a claim is.

Are all the potential health problems really worth it for a 5 minute "high"?

At least with weed, the potential health problems are significantly less, and the high is significantly longer, as well as more enjoyable.

That's what I don't understand about the smoking of cigarettes. There's really no point in the long run. They smell crappy, they taste crappy, they're a waste of money, they restrict your lung function (whereas cannabis expands the lungs, therefore increasing oxygen intake), and they make your eyes, teeth, skin, and fingernails an unsightly piss yellow color.

And you pay for them? :lol: People paying for sickness and death...how silly. If you wanna die just blow your head off. It's cheaper in the long run, and much faster.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

Thechaninator

As I mentioned the stress relief which is what you are referring to is completely fake.

Thing is the second you smoke the cigarettes get you addicted and they actually make you feel a bit more depressed and stressed and then only the smoking makes it go away.

If you think you are getting high you are REALLY fooling yourself. You simply locked yourself into a trap where it takes a cigarette to make you feel normal/happy.

Except I wasn't referring to stress relief, I was referring to the fact that tobacco gets you high. :|

YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 YourOldFriend
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts
For the pleasant buzz and because it's just another social activity. I'm more a cigar man, myself.
Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Deity_Slapper

Thechaninator

True. As with all addictive substances, it eventually gets to the point where your body gets used to it, and continues to crave the substance for the means of maintaining normality. The high becomes non-existent.

Good thing cannabis isn't like that. YAY!

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

MrGeezer

Except I wasn't referring to stress relief, I was referring to the fact that tobacco gets you high. :|

Except they don't.:|

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Toriko42
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

Deity_Slapper

True. As with all addictive substances, it eventually gets to the point where your body gets used to it, and continues to crave the substance for the means of maintaining normality. The high becomes non-existent.

Good thing cannabis isn't like that. YAY!

Supposadly it is possible to become dependant on Cannibis but to do so you'd have to be smoking tainted stuff as in it's laced with meth or chemicals. Some dealers do this to keep regular customers. I have a friend addicted to weed it seems.