Here we go again: French weekly publishes Mohammad cartoons

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#51 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

That picture is supposed to be offensive?

Pirate700
New sig... I like it.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts

Wait, Kate Middleton is off limits but Islam is fair game ? :?

Zaibach
selling illegal nude pics vs publishing a political cartoon....I'm failing to see the connection....
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
And you don't think killing someone for this is taking it a bit too far? horgen123
Of course!

France and America didn't make fun of anything. Citizens of those countries did.

I get what you're saying, even though I'm disturbed that you seem to think France and America should be held accountable for the harmless actions of their citizenry.

airshocker
Well yeah, but also the governments know that some Muslims may do something offensive eh.
SpiralSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SpiralSmile
Member since 2012 • 245 Posts

I'm tired hearing about al of these over sensitive muslims exploding over something as stupid as a cartoon. The people who created the cartoon, burned the quran and made jokes about allah all have the right to do so, its called "free speech". If the muslims have a problem with that then they can go back to their own backwards country instead of wanting everyone to bend around their rules.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Omni-Slash

selling illegal nude pics vs publishing a political cartoon....I'm failing to see the connection....

Both are clearly controversial publications, one while intrusive of privacy and shouldnt be published, but the other one is incredibly inflamatory publication with a history guaranteed to cause political unrest.

Long story short, dont poke the bear and complain when it goes mental.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

And it burns, burns, burns.

the ring of fire

the ring of fire

080630-earth-core_big.jpg

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Omni-Slash

Zaibach
No...One is ILLEGAL....the other is not..the Illegal aspect is a bunch of idiots thinking it gives them the right to kill people over it....you can't placate stupidity....nor should you waste time trying....if people really think this is over a comic a video that 99% of those protesting never saw...they are sadly mistaken....including our ridiculous administration...
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Good on them, the west needs to illustrate that there are certain things that will not be bent or broken if some one gets upset about it.. One of them is freedom of speech... If extremist muslims disagree they are free to spew their own speech and have done so constantly and in great number.. Especially within Europe.. The hammer needs to be dropped on any of these jackasses that get violent about this.. They are not only a enemy of the state, but are hypocrites because these are the same people who protest violent and disgusting messages themselves..

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Publishing cartoons with the sole intent of pissing people off is silly but honestly, people up in arms over this need to grow up. If they're living in france they should accept they live in a society where anybody has the right to mock anyone else's beliefs. If they don't like it they use their own right to mock and condemn the magazine but the fact that extra security is needed over is disappointing
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

On one hand, I think people in general need to take in to account cause and effect. This cartoon could cause some people to become violent. People should always be considering what the consequences of their actions are. On the other hand, we can't resort to going in to a blame-the-victim mentality. Someone has all the right in the world to make a cartoon like this, and if people react violently to it, that is them wronging and victimizing other people and not the other way around.

Pirate700

It's a cartoon. You can't live life walking on egg shells because you may piss off a group of hyper sensitive nutjobs. Society shouldn't have to live in such fear that you can't make a cartoon in fear of violence.

Still, it's not as if I'd walk into a redneck bar in the backwoods of Mississippi and act flamboyantly gay Sure I can, but I don't want to get my ass beat (also, I'm NOT flamboyantly gay so I wouldn't have any particular reason to act like that in the first place). People alter their behavior out of "fear" all the time, whether it's a fear of getting dumped, a fear of getting hurt, or a fear of getting fired. As BlueDuck said, it's merely a matter of being aware of cause and effect.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Omni-Slash

No...One is ILLEGAL....the other is not..the Illegal aspect is a bunch of idiots thinking it gives them the right to kill people over it....you can't placate stupidity....nor should you waste time trying....if people really think this is over a comic a video that 99% of those protesting never saw...they are sadly mistaken....including our ridiculous administration...

dont be obtuse, it is well known that creating an image of the Muslim prophet is extremely frowned upon as shown the last the time it was done. Cage rattling just doesnt seem clever.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Regardless of the intent of the cartoonist, at some point we have to ask the question are we going to allow a bunch of primitive people in any other country hold our language hostage and allow them to dictate what we can do and say? I think not.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Zaibach

dont be obtuse, it is well known that creating an image of the Muslim prophet is extremely frowned upon as shown the last the time it was done. Cage rattling just doesnt seem clever.

The fact that so many people are saying "don't poke the bear" when it comes to this kind of stuff is exactly what's wrong with it. Nobody should have to hold back their thoughts about any religion.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Zaibach

So a cartoon image that is frowned upon by one group makes violence and destruction ok? They have the right to be offended, not to cause violence over it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MrGeezer
Regardless of the intent of the cartoonist, at some point we have to ask the question are we going to allow a bunch of primitive people in any other country hold our language hostage and allow them to dictate what we can do and say? I think not.guynamedbilly
You can do and say what you want. But hopefully you should have some idea of what you expect to get out of it. Ask yourself if that's worth the potential consequences.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
That picture is supposed to be offensive?Pirate700
When one is as tightly wound as a fundamentalist Muslim, and told by the authority figures in their life that "any depiction of the prophet is (essentially) an act of war" then you can guess why their response is always so incredibly violent. Odd how Muslims are the only group that seem to get offended by satirical cartoons. Also funny how apologist groups think we should not create these things because it might "incite" them to violence. If anything, we should do it more because it is a protest in favor of the freedom of speech.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Regardless of the intent of the cartoonist, at some point we have to ask the question are we going to allow a bunch of primitive people in any other country hold our language hostage and allow them to dictate what we can do and say? I think not.MrGeezer
You can do and say what you want. But hopefully you should have some idea of what you expect to get out of it. Ask yourself if that's worth the potential consequences.

Yes, we just need to respond with more force.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 MrGeezer
The fact that so many people are saying "don't poke the bear" when it comes to this kind of stuff is exactly what's wrong with it. Nobody should have to hold back their thoughts about any religion.Wasdie
You DON'T have to hold back your thoughts about ANYTHING. But sometimes saying your thoughts can be pretty freaking stupid. If I showed up at a Crips rally wearing a red sweater, am I admirably refusing to be intimidated? Or am I just being really stupid?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]The fact that so many people are saying "don't poke the bear" when it comes to this kind of stuff is exactly what's wrong with it. Nobody should have to hold back their thoughts about any religion.MrGeezer
You DON'T have to hold back your thoughts about ANYTHING. But sometimes saying your thoughts can be pretty freaking stupid. If I showed up at a Crips rally wearing a red sweater, am I admirably refusing to be intimidated? Or am I just being really stupid?

The fact that you had to use violent gangs to relate to their situation is quite telling of how stupid their being violently offended is.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 champion837
Member since 2012 • 1423 Posts
"including some of him naked." I don't condone violence against these guys at all, but lets at least discuss about these people who make these cartoons. These guys are sick in the mind for even thinking up something like that.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]I always feel iffy about this stuff. On one hand, freedom of speech. On the other hand I wouldnt like seeing someone I revered as a hero slandered in the paper like that. Instead of killing, the offended should take it to court.toast_burner

You can't take someone to court for not liking someone you like. What's next banning negative film reviews?

Theyre doing this to be offensive not criticising. Theyres a fine line between it and those fvcktards wanna break it
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Zeviander
[QUOTE="champion837"]"including some of him naked." I don't condone violence against these guys at all, but lets at least discuss about these people who make these cartoons. These guys are sick in the mind for even thinking up something like that.

Doing it for politicians on a daily basis: perfectly okay Doing it for a religious figure: sick in the mind People need to learn what satire is.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"] No...One is ILLEGAL....the other is not..the Illegal aspect is a bunch of idiots thinking it gives them the right to kill people over it....you can't placate stupidity....nor should you waste time trying....if people really think this is over a comic a video that 99% of those protesting never saw...they are sadly mistaken....including our ridiculous administration...Pirate700

So a cartoon image that is frowned upon by one group makes violence and destruction ok? They have the right to be offended, not to cause violence over it.

I dont recall condoning violence, there is an inevitable chain of causality here.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]That picture is supposed to be offensive?Zeviander
When one is as tightly wound as a fundamentalist Muslim, and told by the authority figures in their life that "any depiction of the prophet is (essentially) an act of war" then you can guess why their response is always so incredibly violent. Odd how Muslims are the only group that seem to get offended by satirical cartoons. Also funny how apologist groups think we should not create these things because it might "incite" them to violence. If anything, we should do it more because it is a protest in favor of the freedom of speech.

No. Thats just being an a$shole for the sake of being an a$shole
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]The fact that so many people are saying "don't poke the bear" when it comes to this kind of stuff is exactly what's wrong with it. Nobody should have to hold back their thoughts about any religion.Pirate700

The fact that you had to use violent gangs to relate to their situation is quite telling of how stupid their being violently offended is.

And? What the hell does it matter how "stupid" someone is being if they're actions still end up with you dead? Are you going to be laughing at them from heaven, or something? Look, I'm not even saying "don't poke the bear". But actions DO have consequences, and people hold back on their free speech all the time even when the consequences aren't nearly as bad as being killed. Hell, most people censor themselves just because losing their job is an unacceptable consequence. You can say whatever the hell you want. But you ought to be realistically assessing the consequences and then asking yourself if what you're saying is worth those consequences. Are some things so important that they're worth getting fired over? Sure. Are some things so important that they're worth dying over? Yes. Other things absolutely AREN'T worth dying over or getting fired over, so it's pretty stupid to say them. Say whatever the hell you want, but if you're SMART then you're gonna be weighing the consequences against the benefits.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Zeviander
Theyre doing this to be offensive not criticising. Theyres a fine line between it and those fvcktards wanna break itCapitan_Kid
No matter what reason they do it for, they are certainly making a very strong point. One that I, as a citizen of a free nation that supports the freedom of speech, religion, expression and the press, value as a contribution to the public forum. We try to suppress this expression in any way, then we have allowed the authoritarian religious fundamentalists control of our rights and freedoms. Giving these people special treatment because they threaten violence is akin to forfeiting your rights as a free citizen.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
It's just a cartoon, so I'm expecting all reactions to be mature, proportional and peaceful in nature.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Zeviander
No. Thats just being an a$shole for the sake of being an a$sholeCapitan_Kid
There is a problem with that? Sometimes harsh treatment is what gets people finally talking openly about these things, instead of beating around the safety bush.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
Eh. Maybe if it happens often enough the violence will cease....
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MrGeezer
Eh. Maybe if it happens often enough the violence will cease....LJS9502_basic
Perhaps, but I think it'd take a lot more than just the odd person doing it every once in a while.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic
Eh. Maybe if it happens often enough the violence will cease....

some french ambassador is now gonna get shot, somewhere, by somebody :lol:

indzman
Why would you laugh at that?:?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Eh. Maybe if it happens often enough the violence will cease....LJS9502_basic
Would be funny if a cartoon or video comes out every week until they stop caring and go insane lol. :P

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Eh. Maybe if it happens often enough the violence will cease....[QUOTE="indzman"]

LJS9502_basic

Maybe it's giving him some twisted idea for a popularity thread.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 LJS9502_basic

Zaibach

It needs to be done. And often. Only way the violence will lessen. No one can rage forever....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Eh. Maybe if it happens often enough the violence will cease....[QUOTE="indzman"]

megagene

Don't be giving him ideas....

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 MrPraline

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Eh. Maybe if it happens often enough the violence will cease....Aljosa23

Would be funny if a cartoon or video comes out every week until they stop caring and go insane lol. :P

lol, would take a strong history teacher in 200 years to be able to teach kids that the major nuke attacks happened over drawings while keeping a straight face
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

[QUOTE="megagene"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Why would you laugh at that?:?LJS9502_basic

you guys :oops:

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Sajo7"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]It's a cartoon. You can't live life walking on egg shells because you may piss off a group of hyper sensitive nutjobs. Society shouldn't have to live in such fear that you can't make a cartoon in fear of violence.Pirate700

I don't think anyone is disputing that, but I think there is a difference between not being able to express an opinion versus being deliberately antagonistic.

Trust me, I completely agree normally. In this case though, the target is so easily offended that they almost beg to have parodies or jokes made about them.

SILENCE! I keel you!

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Compare the response to the innocence of muslims video and the cartoons of the prophet Muhammed with the response to the Jerry Springer musical which was supposedly blasphemous to Christians. For the former, people were actually murdered whilst the latter provoked a few pensioners to picket outside theatres across the UK

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

It needs to be done. And often. Only way the violence will lessen. No one can rage forever....LJS9502_basic

Well, every one of these provocations causes more violence. What could potentially reduce violence is if the Pakistani media does some kind of call to the population telling them to stop cartoon-related violence by telling them how pointless it is and all that. But you don't need to publish an offensive cartoon every day to do that. The first cartoon was more than enough to bring up this debate in those countries, no need to try to ridicule the Muslims every day. It's not easy to change people's opinion. The most radical will never be convinced by anything anyway, so constant provocation looks like a stupid idea to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#91 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="indzman"]

FMAB_GTO
That would be sad and wrong if it happened,but let's face it,if it happened,they kinda brought this upon themselves.

How did they bring it upon themselves? The french government didnt sponsor the cartoon. They have laws which allow certain freedoms of expression in their country. If someone decided to write or publish something that is tasteless, it's not a crime. People need to understand how freedom of expression and speech work.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#92 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Zaibach

Both are clearly controversial publications, one while intrusive of privacy and shouldnt be published, but the other one is incredibly inflamatory publication with a history guaranteed to cause political unrest.

So in other words never be critical of anything. Someone could get upset.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#93 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Oh no.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"] selling illegal nude pics vs publishing a political cartoon....I'm failing to see the connection....sonicare

shhh.......Zaibach and his supporters might get angry...
quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

muslims have no sense of humour, they take there religion too far seriously.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="megagene"] Maybe it's giving him some twisted idea for a popularity thread. indzman

you guys :oops:

lol
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Zaibach

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Omni-Slash

shhh.......Zaibach and his supporters might get angry...

D'aaaaw thats really cute:oops:

I didnt know I had supporters, anywhoooo, I guess I am wasting my time here being anti-religion is uber cool with the OT crowd, have fun with it, when the inevitable fallout happens you turn around and blame those backwards islams for not taking a mockery of their highest beliefs with good humour, we all know if the Muslim world is known for anything its their sense of humour.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 MrPraline

muslims have no sense of humour, they take there religion too far seriously.

quebec946
It's not even humour. I mean, humour or not. Grown men do not get offended by pictures. Drawings. Cartoons. Movies. It takes balls of steel to even admit such a thing. I mean, imagine saying these words "That cartoon really offended me". I know you can't with a straight face. I couldn't either. It's being ridiculous to the point of it being a skill. A talent. Proud! I would be. In a twisted way. But GOOD F*Cking christ, grow up. Would gladly give these people a 100 euros so they could get laid by some professional and grow up. Allah almighty. Mohammed the conquerer. What a joke this whole thing is. There are some combinations that you are allowed to be offended by, but a pen and ink isn't one of them. Religion of long toes and low self esteem. Would be the most hilarious joke there is if people didn't get killed over this. Will repeat: people killed over a film. People killed over a film. Yes, I would cry too. When are we taking action?
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
They're flame baiting. And by "flame" I mean "flames on top of flags and chanting in the street."