Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@horgen: it is, but exercise helps and can be the kick to get you past a stall.

Sure. It has clear benefits. But then again, exercise has benefits either way.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59086 Posts

@horgen: This can be misleading as you're belly empties out and water weight is lost. You also get the "woosh" effect where your body desperately clings on. With the strips you more or less get a 100% thumbs up you're in weight loss state.

It's a good way I find as well to find out if you are eating bad stuff. For example - I was eating ribs, thinking it was fine, but didn't take into account the sauce, which was actually full of sugar. Changed over to dry, keep in ketosis. Enjoy a good meal.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 horgen  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

@horgen: This can be misleading as you're belly empties out and water weight is lost. You also get the "woosh" effect where your body desperately clings on. With the strips you more or less get a 100% thumbs up you're in weight loss state.

It's a good way I find as well to find out if you are eating bad stuff. For example - I was eating ribs, thinking it was fine, but didn't take into account the sauce, which was actually full of sugar. Changed over to dry, keep in ketosis. Enjoy a good meal.

Abs are shown in the kitchen. (and well built in the gym), I go by that mentality.

Might not be the best or healthiest one.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#54 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Joined a gym today.

Not weighed myself I think I will tomorrow.

Still eating clean and feeling way better.

The biggest difference from eating well and exercising has been how much more energy I have, little aches and pains I had have gone.

I'm doing this for health and to feel good now, not as much for vanity reasons.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

@thehig1:

Good work mate! I still haven't got round to weighing myself, been busy lately! Will try and get on it later! Slipped a little having snacks on the evening but back on the wagon the last couple days.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 thehig1

The weight loss made a big difference in football tonight, I was way more mobile and effected the game more than I have ever done in recent years.

Not weighed myself for a few days, will weigh myself in the morning

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Well, I was going to wait until later in the year to really start all this (like October after I'm done with school), but it looks like I'll be going at it at some point this weekend or next. I will post my weight soon when I get a scale, or get access to a scale, to measure myself. I don't currently own one because the one I did own broke after something was dropped on it and I never really bothered to replace it.

So I'll see ya'll in this thread very soon.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 thehig1

@Serraph105: good stuff

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

For gym-goers, what gym do you use? I currently go to a local franchise, but it's not the most convenient for me anymore (I plan on going to the gym after work.) There's a planet fitness by me that would be more on my route. Has anyone had good/bad experiences? And do they do personal training that's not "Here's a machine, here's how to use it" type thing?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 thehig1

@Ring_of_fire: I dont live in US so probably not relevant to you.

Joined a gym called Anytime Fitness, its really close to my house and I have a good friend who goes there often who can show me how to do things I'm not sure about, mostly weights.

My main goal in the gym is high intensity explosive cardio to help me perform better at Football.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Serraph105

So.....I really need to get to a scale and get an actual number (or at least a "before" picture so people can see and judge my gut, but yesterday I did go out and walk quite a ways and I got out in the woods a bit where people wouldn't normally go because it seemed like fun to go and explore some untraversed areas. I walked along a railroad track and tried to get cross a creek, but after much thought and effort of trying to find a place to cross and make a crossing via large rocks, ultimately decided it probably wasn't worth the risk of cracking my skull open or ruining my shoes or phone.

Today, at lunch, I got out and walked about a mile and half and around midway I found a geocache before heading back to work.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 thehig1

@Serraph105: try getting a fitbit to track how many steps you do in a day, and it estimates the calories you have burned and isnt far off.

I'm eating around 2500 calories somedays and still loosing weight just by making sure I eat less calories than fitbit says I've burned.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 horgen  Moderator

@Ring_of_fire said:

For gym-goers, what gym do you use? I currently go to a local franchise, but it's not the most convenient for me anymore (I plan on going to the gym after work.) There's a planet fitness by me that would be more on my route. Has anyone had good/bad experiences? And do they do personal training that's not "Here's a machine, here's how to use it" type thing?

See if you can get a free tour or free week to test it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Serraph105

@horgen said:
@Ring_of_fire said:

Planet Fitness is a very cost effective route to go, but you really gotta be careful with them as well. They offer things like candy at the end as well as pizza and bagels on certain days of the month. Not to be too down on them, but their whole business model is understanding that most people don't really lose weight at their gyms (although it can be done) and their real money comes from yearly gym memberships. So basically they offer a nice enough experience (pizza and bagels once a month, but also on different days of the month not to mention things like massage chairs) for people to keep coming back each year.

They've even factored in the ability to not need to provide maintence to most of their machines because they understand that they have far more members than they do that actually use their equipment. That's actually beneficial to customers as it means cheaper monthly fees, but it's also kind of disconcerting that they utilize these tactics to begin with. Again though, if you can ignore these things and actually use the equipment you get a really great deal on a gym membership. Last I checked it's $10/month, but that was a few years ago.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@Serraph105 said:
@horgen said:
@Ring_of_fire said:

Planet Fitness is a very cost effective route to go, but you really gotta be careful with them as well. They offer things like candy at the end as well as pizza and bagels on certain days of the month. Not to be too down on them, but their whole business model is understanding that most people don't really lose weight at their gyms (although it can be done) and their real money comes from yearly gym memberships. So basically they offer a nice enough experience (pizza and bagels once a month, but also on different days of the month not to mention things like massage chairs) for people to keep coming back each year.

They've even factored in the ability to not need to provide maintence to most of their machines because they understand that they have far more members than they do that actually use their equipment. That's actually beneficial to customers as it means cheaper monthly fees, but it's also kind of disconcerting that they utilize these tactics to begin with. Again though, if you can ignore these things and actually use the equipment you get a really great deal on a gym membership. Last I checked it's $10/month, but that was a few years ago.

Planet fitness also wants you to be silent when working out. So forget about dead lift... If I remember r/fitness correctly

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@horgen: Deadlifts can be silent, just bring down the weight very slowly :P

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

My training:
Monday - Upper Body, Bench press as main lift. 20 min cardio

Tuesday - Lower Body, Squat as main lift. 20 min cardio

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Upper Body, pullup as main lift. 20 min cardio

Friday - Lower Body, deadlift as main lift. 20 min cardio

Diet: Combination of, intermittent fasting, flexible dieting/if it fits your macros. Two big meals a day (with snacks sometimes).

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 thehig1

Down to 245lbs now, thats 6 lbs lost since I started this thread, went to the gym for the first time in a long time yesterday.

For now I'm mostly interested in getting my cardio back up to what it was a few years ago, great cardio is what helps me the most when I play 5 a side football.

Ran 4.2k in 30 minutes on treadmill, my pace back when I was around 180 lbs was about 27 minutes for 5k.

Its not terrible and shouldn't take long to get back to that level.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

most weight i lost recently was ~ 3 years ago when training for a half marathon. doing 5-6 miles a day 3-4 times a week plus a longer run on weekends. no changes in diet just more activity. dropped ~ 15 lbs over the course of a few months. most gained back after stopping the activity and having kids :)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 horgen  Moderator

@XVision84 said:

@horgen: Deadlifts can be silent, just bring down the weight very slowly :P

If you can lift 350lbs+ that's probably doable with a 100 lbs less on the bar. Or you will tire yourself out rather quickly.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

A couple of years ago I cut out sugar from my diet and started exercising a little bit more. Was drinking about 2 cans of juice (soda) a day at the least. Some days I'd be drinking 3 or 4. Was up at 85kg but dropped around 15kg over the following months and have been hovering around 70kg (~150lb) for the past year or so. Not quite the 65kg goal I had in mind but I'm not 18 anymore I guess.

NattyDaddy604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NattyDaddy604
Member since 2019 • 304 Posts

I find the best results I ever had is as of right now. My diet consists mostly of eating organic, non-GMO products, and tracking calories and macros. I do try and incoporate Intermittent fasting, but that's secondary to my macros and healthy food.

I've been doing it for about a year now, and I feel amazing. Lost about 15 lbs of fat over the course of year, but lifting the heaviest I have, totaling over 1200 lbs on squats deads and bench. I feel great and powerful and thats all I can ask for.

Keep up the hard work! Wish you the best health and happiness.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 thehig1

Anyone seen shows like my 600lb life or family by the ton.

They are eye openers for the damage to your own body, when your family that obesity can cause.

There are a few success stories on the show and a few were they just cannot help because the obese person is unwilling to change.

Good motivation when your in weight loss mode, even though I cant relate as 270lbs(my heaviest) is the same as 600lbs +++.

naazaniqua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 naazaniqua
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

A healthy weight is an important element of good health. How much you eat and what you eat play central roles in maintaining a healthy weight or losing weight. Exercise is the most important key factor to make fit yourself. For years, low-fat diets were thought to be the best way to lose weight. A growing body of evidence shows that low-fat diets often don't work, in part because these diets often replace fat with easily digested carbohydrates.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 horgen  Moderator

@vagrantsnow said:

A couple of years ago I cut out sugar from my diet and started exercising a little bit more. Was drinking about 2 cans of juice (soda) a day at the least. Some days I'd be drinking 3 or 4. Was up at 85kg but dropped around 15kg over the following months and have been hovering around 70kg (~150lb) for the past year or so. Not quite the 65kg goal I had in mind but I'm not 18 anymore I guess.

Kinda need your height here. I'm at 85kg now. Could very well drop 10kg, anything more and I would look like I am aiming for body builder competition of some sort. 1.83 tall.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 VagrantSnow

@horgen said:
@vagrantsnow said:

Kinda need your height here. I'm at 85kg now. Could very well drop 10kg, anything more and I would look like I am aiming for body builder competition of some sort. 1.83 tall.

5'10" or 1.77m

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 horgen  Moderator

@vagrantsnow said:
@horgen said:
@vagrantsnow said:

5'10" or 1.77m

I would say 65 for someone who is 1.77 is on the skinnier side. Depends on your build.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 VagrantSnow

@horgen said:
@vagrantsnow said:
@horgen said:
@vagrantsnow said:

5'10" or 1.77m

I would say 65 for someone who is 1.77 is on the skinnier side. Depends on your build.

Doubt I'll reach that weight now without starving myself or something. I am fine with where I am at now :)

ddwilson7725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ddwilson7725
Member since 2019 • 2 Posts

Losing weight - no, but eating better and toning up, yes!

I'm working on my strength and core strength in my yoga practice at the moment, which is a big help, and I'm also going vegan for January. I have a bad habit of falling back onto my "safe" foods which involve a lot of cheese and rubbish food, so I'm going to be taking a lot more notice about what I put into my body moving forwards.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 thehig1

7lbs lost since I started this thread and 26 list overall.

Another 44lbs to get to my goal weight.

Last few days havnt been great, had huge cravings and nearly gave in a few times, ended up eating around 2500 calories last two days which is still enough for me too loose weight as with.my average activity level my bmr is around 2800.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 thehig1

@vietanh9512: literally the most generic advice ive ever heard lol

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 thehig1

So I'm not hiding anything on this thread, you get to see all my embarassing pictures ans hopefully my goal pictures were im looking like an adonis.

The above is 6lbs of weight loss, roughly what ive lost since starting this thread.

I think you can see my moobs are little less prominment and maybe the belly is a little smaller.

Doesn't help that I'm a step further back on the later picture, ive marked a place to stand for future.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 horgen  Moderator

6lbs is 6lbs. I think that is about 10500 kcal in minus.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 thehig1

Changed front page back to my original starting weight, no one else joined in so no need to have my progress reset.

28 lbs lost so far, 42 to go nearing half way stage.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 horgen  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

Changed front page back to my original starting weight, no one else joined in so no need to have my progress reset.

28 lbs lost so far, 42 to go nearing half way stage.

Well done.

I was thinking about joining... But Easter =/

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 thehig1

@horgen: easter is a tough time like, if I wasnt already. 8 weeks in and 30 lbs down id so eat a ton of Easter eggs.

Easter Egg chocolate is the best kind

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#89 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Awesome, man! Keep it up.

My brother is down 35 lbs after 3 weeks and his goal is 220 lbs. He's like <310. Rooting for him.

My weight is ~130lbs

Height is 5'6"

Goal: 140 lbs with muscle mass.

I have avascular necrosis on a lot of my joints but I'm going to see how far I can get with 10-50lb dumbbells.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#90 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

I'm 5'11 260 lbs and hope to hit 200lbs.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 thehig1

@DEVILinIRON: finally someone posted some deets, your goin on the front page with me, no pressure ;)

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 thehig1

Had a pretty poor weekend health wise, one of those things.

Had a party on Saturday and drank way too much, then spent Sunday moaning hungover eating fast-food, not weighed myself for a few days now.

I'll weigh myself in a couple of days see were I'm at and get back on track, weighing myself straight after a binge isn't a good idea because most the weight is water weight from the increased sodium.

A couple days back on low carb I'll see were I am.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 thehig1

@thehig1: back at 239 now, gained around 4lbs from a horrible weekend eating wise.

Got back on track now so 39lbs to go to make my goal

dreamygeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 dreamygeek
Member since 2019 • 11 Posts

I have made slight changes to my breakfast routine and have witnessed much improvement. I have lost 3 kgs in the last month by following this routine. I simply take fruits, apple banana with a boiled egg and drink green tea right afterwards. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you take it seriously the rest of the meals won't matter too much.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By thehig1

@dreamygeek: i do the opposite and skip breakfast entirely.

I find having more calories to use later in the day works for me, im rarely hungry in a morning anyway.

There isnt really a one size fits all advice, people gotta do what works for them.

Well done on the weight loss

reddkaiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 reddkaiman
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

@thehig1: As long as you stay consistent, what you're doing can work. It's always good to have a favorite exercise when going to the gym, or a sort of workout phase to go through. It can be punching bags, kettlebells, push press, etc. But the secret to losing weight is to love exercise, and there is this possibility to see it as this wonderful thing that changes your life. Great job!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 thehig1

Weight loss has slowed massively but still happening.

Down a total of 35 lbs, made it half way to goal 35 lbs to go.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#98  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm losing my grip on my diet I been stuck on a plateau for months now and I'm starting to cave in to more junk food. I'm beyond frustrated things in life that are out of my control are ruining my positive mind set that I was in months ago. I barely give a F about anything anymore I'm tired of struggling with depression and food. All I want is to be happy but it truly feels like the universe is against me always.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 horgen  Moderator

@warmblur: As you lose weight you need more changes to your diet. Or simply eat even less.

Disgrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Disgrace
Member since 2019 • 17 Posts

Last time I check my weight it's 59kg and now I'm 66kg. Started intermittent fasting week ago and I'll check the result after a month or two.