Have you ever troll? Were you gud at it?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

I'm still not entirely sure what trolling is. Perhaps that's why I keep coming back to GS. This is a trolling thread; I wonder if it'll be locked. Troll on. Troll off. Troll on. Troll off?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Trolling online gives me no pleasure. However, I may from time to time troll a friend when I know they're susceptible to it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

Some trolling is damn funny if done right. Not all of it is assholery. Sometimes my points start genuine but if I notice that the other users is just so ridiculous and close minded that I can't have a discussion with them, I just turn to trolling them for fun instead. (Looking at you system war users)

Sometimes I just deliberately have a controversial opinion for fun to start a conversation. Nothing more boring then going onto a thread about (for example, PS5 vs Xbox Series X) and everyone is just virtue signaling how nice and great they are so I'll throw a spanner in the works to get people either upset or make them actually think about their opinion. Genuinely I just love playing devil's advocate and this often leads to trolling but not all the time mind you.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Had to be somewhat good at it pre-2012ish or whenever they changed it to the three strike rule. People got banned/suspended/points deducted easily back in the day.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

My opinions are too good to be considered trolling. That's a fact.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Not really I like to think I'm to mature for that shit but back in the AOL chatroom days I was a mad man.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#7 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

No, not at all. Doesn't do anything for me. If I even tried I think I'd just fail miserably or become sick of it really really quickly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Perish the thought.

But na, only really troll someone if they annoy me, which is super rare. Basically, if they are genuinely racist, homophobic, have a very shitty take or offensive attitude towards people.

They are typically egotistical as to basically make their own noose with a few nudges.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Back in the day of the early 2000's on Gamespot when there was a much more lively community and forum-based cliques not uncommon, I was involved in some elaborate troll operations co-collaborated with other users here.

Those were some fun times.

Some of my favorite troll efforts were the ones where the clues of it being a troll post were hidden right in the very posts. Take the first letter of every first word of every sentence, for example, and how I can form hidden sentences like that.

The best internet trolls are the ones that never admit to trolling. No matter how ridiculous or stupid another poster might perceive you, you never admit to it because the joke's on them.

That's something I think a lot of trolls completely miss these days. Nowadays it's like "lol hey look at me I'm trolling lol." Trolling is pretty weak these days.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@jaydan: Some of those hidden messages were easier to do before when the post width was set. Now it adjust to window width. Like first letter in every line isn't the same for everyone anymore.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I used to troll a lot.

Made a lot of fake threads. It was an art.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

@jaydan: so basically what ghost4ever is doing? I hope... he might be serious, I can’t tell???

Anyway I done it a bit on a poker forum I used to frequent, was mostly when newbies can in and started topics on how x site was rigged or how they had invented a system to be roulette(martingale) and stuff like that..

grandporcupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 grandporcupine
Member since 2020 • 33 Posts

Trolling's been part of my daily life. I would have been very rich by now if I get paid for every troll I've thrown at my friends.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1345 Posts

Sometimes I get a good laugh at trolling, other times I’m scared by how dumb people can be that they take me seriously when I’m clearly trolling..

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@djoffer123 said:

@jaydan: so basically what ghost4ever is doing? I hope... he might be serious, I can’t tell???

Anyway I done it a bit on a poker forum I used to frequent, was mostly when newbies can in and started topics on how x site was rigged or how they had invented a system to be roulette(martingale) and stuff like that..

Well when you think about it, Ghost is among the more memorable posters on this site. Not everyone may be familiar with you or me, but most people seem to be familiar with him.

But yes, number 1 rule... never admit to trolling. Admitting to it just defeats the fun in it. It's like telling the punchline to a joke before even delivering the joke.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

I remember when trolling used to be called "sarcasm".

Sort of like negging and reverse psychology.

RexyyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RexyyD
Member since 2020 • 10 Posts

sure thing im Chandler good at trolling