Have you ever ended up loving a show you really hated? Or at the least, wrote off?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Alot of shows start off terrible, or not very good, and become great as they find their footing.

Star Trek seems to excel at this. The first season is TNG, isn't great. The first season, arguably two or DS9, barring the odd episode, aren't very good.

I found this recently with Gotham, I picked up on launch a few years back and dropped declaring it a bit pile of shit. But then, through "noise in the background", I watched it on Netflix 1-5. And it's sort of went from being a bastardization of Batman to probably my favourite comic-book show on tv. Not that it's perfect, far from it, shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones were more consistent in quality, but when it works right it's superb.

Are there any shows in your mind that you perhaps wrote off and came back giving them a second chance?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Chozen: animated series by the same people who made Archer. The trailer is horrible and the premises makes it sound worse. A white gay rapper just released from prison on his way to the top of the rap game. Turned out to bey favourite show.

Gotham. Which is still an okay show. It has long boring parts then all of a sudden it's really good for a bit.

I tend to give a show 3 or 4 EPs before I say it's bad or not.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I stopped with Gotham after the second series, not because I stopped liking it, just kinda forgot about it...will give it another run over the summer when all the other shows are on their breaks.

I remember watching the first episode of Supernatural back when I was at University. Thought it was rubbish. Tried it again about 6 years later and smashed the first five seasons in about a month. Now it's probably up there as my favourite show behind GoT and Banshee.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I don't think I had any shows that I "hated" up front, but there are certainly a few that weren't great starting out.

@goodzorr said:

I stopped with Gotham after the second series, not because I stopped liking it, just kinda forgot about it...will give it another run over the summer when all the other shows are on their breaks.

I remember watching the first episode of Supernatural back when I was at University. Thought it was rubbish. Tried it again about 6 years later and smashed the first five seasons in about a month. Now it's probably up there as my favourite show behind GoT and Banshee.

I get that with Supernatural. Honestly the first season wasn't too terribly strong but once it got going it was a really fun show. I started from the beginning when the show was on about season 5 or 6. By the second season I was pretty hooked.

Parks and Rec was the same way. The first season was short and hadn't found the tone for the show yet. It was funny but starting in season 2 it started to show its brilliance.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

When I saw advertisements for The Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles all the way back in 07 and 08 I thought the show would be complete trash and that there was no way that this show could ever live up to any of the movies boy was I wrong.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I didn't hate it but I found the first few episodes of Black Sails to be quite mediocre. The show really picked up afterwards however with seasons 2 and 3 being amazing. Really underappreciated series.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Game of Thrones. Watched half of the first episode, and hated it. Just assumed it was going to be The Walking Dead set in the middle ages.

Watched an episode from season 2 a few years later and liked it enough to binge watch my way up to date.

Love it now.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Yea. Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens. I assumed that since they're both shows that are heavily syndicated, that the quality must be poor. Took about a year or so of my wife watching them late night for me to bite, and now I love them for their wacky characters and family oriented situations.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Loving? No. Enjoying? Yes

My Hero Academia. Better than I thought it would be but nowhere close to as good as people make it out to be. Basic run-of-the-mill action anime.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I was almost ready to give up entirely on Bleach. Then I saw the Soul Society arc. Glad I stuck with it, though now I'm out of episodes on Netflix. Might be a good thing, from what I hear

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Alot of shows start off terrible, or not very good, and become great as they find their footing.

Star Trek seems to excel at this. The first season is TNG, isn't great. The first season, arguably two or DS9, barring the odd episode, aren't very good.

I found this recently with Gotham, I picked up on launch a few years back and dropped declaring it a bit pile of shit. But then, through "noise in the background", I watched it on Netflix 1-5. And it's sort of went from being a bastardization of Batman to probably my favourite comic-book show on tv. Not that it's perfect, far from it, shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones were more consistent in quality, but when it works right it's superb.

Are there any shows in your mind that you perhaps wrote off and came back giving them a second chance?

Hmm, I bet there is a few but can´t think of any right now. It´s easy with shows I liked which later turned bad, Gotham is one after they brought on Cat, it went from good to bad. Same goes for Fear the walking dead and walking dead, bringing on Lucille in the walking dead and completely changing the narrative for the lead in Walking dead and killing of the main characters at the start of season 2 of Fear, just put me off those shows.

But usually the first impression I get is the one I stick with and I rarely go back to shows once I have written them off.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Shield didn't start out great, but I stuck with it because I trust the Whedons. Show got good in the back half of season 1 and, other than a dip at the end of season 3 and start of season 4, has been a very fun show.

Also King of the Hill. I'm not sure if it got better, or just took time to grow on me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jacanuk said:

Hmm, I bet there is a few but can´t think of any right now. It´s easy with shows I liked which later turned bad, Gotham is one after they brought on Cat, it went from good to bad. Same goes for Fear the walking dead and walking dead, bringing on Lucille in the walking dead and completely changing the narrative for the lead in Walking dead and killing of the main characters at the start of season 2 of Fear, just put me off those shows.

But usually the first impression I get is the one I stick with and I rarely go back to shows once I have written them off.

Selina Kyle? Along with many characters I thought she was the best live-action depiction. She's both at once a very strong female character as well as vulnerable. The girl playing her does a terrific job imo.

Loading Video...

This fucker I would drive a bus loaded with TNT into. Terrible character, terrible performance. If I watch this series again i'll be speeding through every scene she's in.

On the flip side, I never thought I'd see the day that Harvey Bullock ended up being one my fav characters. In all the other depictions he's largely a dick. Here is more a cop who's just given up, with Gordon acting as his morale anchor. When he Stopped the bombs in seasons 4 and gets applauded at the Gotham police department it's one of my fav scenes. It's wonderful.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

The Expanse. Thought it was slow and wasn't really going anywhere but I stuck it out and now I really enjoy it.

Serial Experiments Lain. Boring anime. I still think it's a boring anime but it is equally enthralling.

Supergirl season 1 was sexist, racist junk but got better under the CW brand.

King of the Hill. Was boring when I was a kid. Love it as an adult.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jacanuk said:

Selina Kyle? Along with many characters I thought she was the best live-action depiction. She's both at once a very strong female character as well as vulnerable. The girl playing her does a terrific job imo.

This fucker I would drive a bus loaded with TNT into. Terrible character, terrible performance. If I watch this series again i'll be speeding through every scene she's in.

On the flip side, I never thought I'd see the day that Harvey Bullock ended up being one my fav characters. In all the other depictions he's largely a dick. Here is more a cop who's just given up, with Gordon acting as his morale anchor. When he Stopped the bombs in seasons 4 and gets applauded at the Gotham police department it's one of my fav scenes. It's wonderful.

Yup, Selina Kyle, her character is so badly written that it makes it a pain to watch. It´s so misplaced in Gotham.

The whole routine of the "teenage girls who come out of the umbrella generation where all that matters are "me me me me me and more me" has grown old.

The actress is probably decent enough but her acting can´t save the character

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

the us office was pretty bad in its first season, down right cringe worthy at times. but it started to improve in season 2 and by the time it hit season 3 it was awesome.

and i really couldn't get into south park when it first came out. came back to it around the time of the mr jefferson episode and was surprised at just how much better it had become. been a big fan ever since. those early episodes really haven't aged well

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@theone86 said:

I was almost ready to give up entirely on Bleach. Then I saw the Soul Society arc. Glad I stuck with it, though now I'm out of episodes on Netflix. Might be a good thing, from what I hear

Agreed. That Soul Society ark is really well done and very easy to watch. I haven't seen a ton after that. I've seen some here and there, but the story and premises are far less well done and interesting -- they suffer from typical anime rush to power fatigue.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Nothing comes to mind for me atm but I guess I could say that it took me a while to get around to watching Sword Art Online for some reason. Had a buddy recommend it to me.

I started watching it in around 2014 when all of season 1 was available.

The first season was pretty great along with me watching season 2 weekly via Crunchyroll.

I feel as if after Ordinal Scale it’s really complicated a lot of things. Season 3 is very different from the other content and in my opinion far less enjoyable. They could have just ended things on S1 but, it is a cash cow.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#19 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I really disliked the US version of 'The Office' for a long time when id just see random episodes on TV.

couple years back I watched through the series on Netflix and ended up enjoying it overall, though I still wouldn't rate it among my favourite shows.

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

Remembered watching Babylon 5 episodes and thought it was cringy af, corny and just lame. The x-wing rip off didnt help.

Then watched it again way afterwards and became my all-time favorite sci-fi show.

Cooperino217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cooperino217
Member since 2019 • 16 Posts

initialy i hate Friend because the sound track coming in midle, feel so fake and reluctant. so after 5 min of watching the file, i was out. but looking back on 10 min highlight of one episode on youtube, i start to rethink and sit down watch the entire 2 episode streak. not loving it, but enjoying as a comedy worth watching

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

@mumunaro said:

Remembered watching Babylon 5 episodes and thought it was cringy af, corny and just lame. The x-wing rip off didnt help.

Then watched it again way afterwards and became my all-time favorite sci-fi show.

Seen a couple of people say this is better than DS9. Need to check it out some day.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Seinfeld. Took me forever to get into it.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

I've been taking care of my grandma and she's binging Pretty Little Liars. So ive seen so many episodes in such a brief time that I may have been brainwashed. Now I have my favorite liar and can't wait for them to catch A+.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

One Piece comes to mind. I remember when I first watched a few episodes of it back in the early 2000s, I hated it. Many years later, around the late 2000s, I gave One Piece another shot... and ended up binge-watching over a hundred episodes within like a week. It had a slow start, but once it kicked into gear, it was a non-stop rollercoaster ride.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Star Trek: Enterprise

I couldn't stand the soundtrack. Then, I realized it fit in okay with canon Star Trek. One thing I demand of the IP is that any series must fit in whether it's the past or future of the previous shows. I like continuity.

Discovery really screwed it up.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Star Trek: Enterprise

I couldn't stand the soundtrack. Then, I realized it fit in okay with canon Star Trek. One thing I demand of the IP is that any series must fit in whether it's the past or future of the previous shows. I like continuity.

Discovery really screwed it up.

Discovery is in another timeline. It's was more to do with legal issues, they could make a Star Trek, but they can't make the Star Trek we watched.

Loading Video...

Nor do they have any intention really. It's just a dumb action show with bad writing trying to hide it with SFX imo.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

Sam & Cat and Victorious are the greatest shows of all time

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

There was a time in my life in the late 90's and early 00 where I would wake 'n' bake to 90210 repeats not sure if I enjoyed watching it seriously or sarcastically.