Have humans destroyed completely destroyed earth??

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Merv_the_Perv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Merv_the_Perv
Member since 2010 • 61 Posts
No way of knowing how the earth did w/out us... Climate is always changing (ice ages, etc)... Little has been permanatly destroyed... Animlas went extinct w/out humans being around (more went extinct w/out human intervention than with) I can think of nothing that is so badly damaged it will not be able to recover...as soon as we are gone (relatively speaking) the world will never know we were here
PerilousWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 PerilousWolf
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

Gabu, that "mass extinction event" is a load of rubbish. The extintion of the dinosaurs occured over millions of years, you can't possibly think it all just happened in a matter of years. I don't have the definitive answer, but I think it's far more likely there was a climate change in that period (perhaps an ice-age) and dinosaurs were simply too big and didn't have control over their body temperature in the way a small animal does.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"] It's not right to do all that though, we know how to survive now it's like we are destroying everything just for fun. People kill animals just for their fur sometimes, thats not called surviving, thats called be idiotic, sadly thats what most humans are.

Once you pass the stage of caring for your physical survival,you start caring for your comfort and physical health. will you have us all regress to cavemen? I would think that for someone who enjoys the comforts of internet and electricity which is generated via mass pollution-you would be more grateful.
chico129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 chico129
Member since 2006 • 7964 Posts
I know, it was doing amazingly, what with voclanoes almost everywhere, lava traps, entire continents being uninhabitable, no culture and extinction-causing comets, it was doing awesomly before humans arrived... :|
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
*checks* Nope, it seems to still be there. Good thing, too; I need it as a place to keep my stuff
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts

No, we've changed it, but the idea that we are powerful enough to destroy it is nonsense. The earth will be around long after we are gone.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#57 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
If we have, you wouldn't be here to post this topic. But we aren't really trying to help the Earth either with these petty Wars and environmental pollutions.....
lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
Not yet. Theres still plenty of Earth to destroy.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Not yet. Theres still plenty of Earth to destroy.lilasianwonder
*heads to Alaska*
RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

I think in 20 or 25 years the damage we have done will become much more apparent.

Grammarnazi58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Grammarnazi58
Member since 2010 • 128 Posts

The ground is here, so no, the humans have not completely destroyed completely the earth ;).

Gammet25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62 Gammet25
Member since 2009 • 1064 Posts

We're well on our way, its in our nature sometimes...

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#63 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
*peers around* nope.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 clayron

*peers around* nope.BiancaDK
You're not looking hard enough :x

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

I think earth would be boring as a national geographic larva special without humans....grape_of_wrath

I would also like to add that I disagree as well

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#66 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]*peers around* nope.clayron

You're not looking hard enough :x

*google earths* still nothin'.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

not completely but where shure as hell on track to it

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 clayron

*google earths* still nothin'.BiancaDK
O_o. See now you're just starting to pi-

*googles earth*

...O...well, it is still there. Nevermind.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#69 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

@Gabu: I think it's wrong what we are doing here though, humans are trying to control everything and I just feel it's wrong. Earth would be a lot better off without us I think.

joshrocks2245

Well yes, in the sense that the second highest member of the food chain is better off when the highest member is absent. :P

Gabu, that "mass extinction event" is a load of rubbish. The extintion of the dinosaurs occured over millions of years, you can't possibly think it all just happened in a matter of years. I don't have the definitive answer, but I think it's far more likely there was a climate change in that period (perhaps an ice-age) and dinosaurs were simply too big and didn't have control over their body temperature in the way a small animal does.

PerilousWolf

I didn't say that it happened over a short period of time. What I am saying is that the Earth has survived far, far worse extinctions than anything humans have done or likely will do. The idea that humans have destroyed or are destroying Earth is incredibly hyperbolic.

If you are saying that the K-T extinction event was not brought on by an asteroid impact, however, that hypothesis has basically been proven false. The extinction is perfectly consistent with the fallout of an asteroid impact.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

@Gabu: I think it's wrong what we are doing here though, humans are trying to control everything and I just feel it's wrong. Earth would be a lot better off without us I think.

GabuEx

Well yes, in the sense that the second highest member of the food chain is better off when the highest member is absent. :P

PerilousWolf

I didn't say that it happened over a short period of time. What I am saying is that the Earth has survived far, far worse extinctions than anything humans have done or likely will do. The idea that humans have destroyed or are destroying Earth isincredibly hyperbolic.

Very true. However, we are on a good track to destroying ourselves. :P

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

No.

So we've got a lot of work to do.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GabuEx

789shadow

Ah, now that statement I can get behind much more.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

No.

MetroidPrimePwn

Well if someone decided to fire off a few nukes we could really get started.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 789shadow

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

GabuEx

I predict that it will be because of overpopulation leading to at least massive global war for control of resources.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 clayron
[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

I predict that it will be because of overpopulation leading to at least massive global war for control of resources.

Come on, thats no fun. Mankind should develop genetic manipulation then have it go wrong...thats how humankind should destroy itself. It has such an umph to it.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

No.

htekemerald

Well if someone decided to fire off a few nukes we could really get started.

Preferably at Antarctica.

Those smug penguin bastards have gone un-murdered for far too long :x

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

not only humans but cows. yes cows. when cows fart it adds to global warming. true fact

hiphopballer
uhoh i guess we better kill off all our cows now and then maybe the horses next and then sense dagone people fart too then they have to go....maybe then we will all feel warm and fuzzy then
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

"Humans don't destroy planets; planets destroy planets"

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 NarutoFever1
Member since 2008 • 19322 Posts

Yes, we have.

Faith in humanity: non-existent.

mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
A big portion of nature is still intact.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 GabuEx

"Humans don't destroy planets; planets destroy planets"

one_plum

Sometimes Galactus, too.

clubsammich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 clubsammich91
Member since 2009 • 2229 Posts
The earth has been around for 4.5 billion years, it has endured super volcanoes and huge ass meteor strikes. Us little humans haven't done anything to the planet that's worth worrying over. I recommend watching the show Life After People, it pretty much shows how the Earth could get rid of all evidence of humanity within a few hundred years.
Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

Earth belongs to the Superior Beings. mother nature cant touch us ;)

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

The earth has been around for 4.5 billion years, it has endured super volcanoes and huge ass meteor strikes. Us little humans haven't done anything to the planet that's worth worrying over. I recommend watching the show Life After People, it pretty much shows how the Earth could get rid of all evidence of humanity within a few hundred years.clubsammich91

Pretty much this. We're incredibly insignificant in the grand scale of things. New lifeforms will arise that will adapt to whatever changes we leave behind on the Earth.

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#85 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

Almost

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 789shadow

[QUOTE="clubsammich91"]The earth has been around for 4.5 billion years, it has endured super volcanoes and huge ass meteor strikes. Us little humans haven't done anything to the planet that's worth worrying over. I recommend watching the show Life After People, it pretty much shows how the Earth could get rid of all evidence of humanity within a few hundred years.xionvalkyrie

Pretty much this. We're incredibly insignificant in the grand scale of things. New lifeforms will arise that will adapt to whatever changes we leave behind on the Earth.

Two words: Cockroach civilization. :P

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="clubsammich91"]The earth has been around for 4.5 billion years, it has endured super volcanoes and huge ass meteor strikes. Us little humans haven't done anything to the planet that's worth worrying over. I recommend watching the show Life After People, it pretty much shows how the Earth could get rid of all evidence of humanity within a few hundred years.xionvalkyrie

Insignificant is not the right word, we've destroyed 98% of the world's rainforests, ecosystems that won't recover for hundreds of thousands of years; we've destroyed 99% of naturally occuring praries, ecosystems that will never be exactly the same; we've begun to destroy coral reefs, some of the oldest ecosysetms on the planet, because of how we treat the environment leading to coral bleaching; human expansion has pushed certain species such as the panda and some whale species close to extinction, and some of these species may be too fargone to ever make a full recovery.

Ecosystems are a delicate balance, even the slightest actions can have far-reaching effects, and what we have done through expansion, pollution, and other actions is far from slight. Maybe in the long run we won't be around as long as wildlife will be, but that doesn't mean we don't affect wildlife. New forms of life will grow after we are gone, but that doesn't mean we don't affect species that exist now that might not be around as long as they could be because of our actions. Our species will die the metaphorical death it deserves, in other words we'll rest in the grave we dug for ourselves, unfortunately we won't be the only species there, there will be plenty that we have recklessly dragged with us. I think that was part of the point that the series was trying to make in the first place, we destroy and destroy and for what? If that's the mentality we have, the only monument to ourselves we'll leave behind is destruction.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Humans are quite incapable of destroying the Earth. We don't have the technology to affect that much mass. What you mean to say, I think, is "Have humans completely destroyed the Earth for habitation by humans?"

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 NarutoFever1

Humans are quite incapable of destroying the Earth. We don't have the technology to affect that much mass. What you mean to say, I think, is "Have humans completely destroyed the Earth for habitation by humans?"

Nuclear bombs say hello.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Palantas

Nuclear bombs say hello.

NarutoFever1

You think that detonating all the nuclear bombs on the planet, will what, crack the planet open?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

You think that detonating all the nuclear bombs on the planet, will what, crack the planet open?

Palantas

Yeah, exactly.

I mean, look up. See that moon? That exists because the Earth was pulverized by a planet the size of freaking Mars. That didn't destroy the Earth.

Now, I certainly don't know the relevant numbers or how much energy is contained in the world's nuclear arsenals. But if getting smashed by a ****ing PLANET wasn't enough to destroy the Earth, I VERY much doubt that all the nuclear bombs on the planet would be enough to do the job.

If all of the world's nuclear bombs were strategically detonated in order to cause maximum damage, I sort of doubt that would be enough to even kill off all life on Earth, let alone destroying the Earth itself.

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 NarutoFever1

Detonate enough of them and you could cause serious issues.

I'm sure we're more than capable of making quite a few of them.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Palantas

NarutoFever1

Yeah well, the title of this thread isn't "cause serious issues," it's "destroyed earth."

Here, somebody do this:

1. Get the energy release for the tsar bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated.
  2. Get the approximate number of warheads in everybody's nuclear arsenal.
  3. Multiple #1 by #2, which will likely give you a figure a couple orders of magnitude higher than the actual combined destructive power of the world's nukes.
  4. Compare that to the gravitational binding energy of the planet.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="NarutoFever1"]

Palantas

Yeah well, the title of this thread isn't "cause serious issues," it's "destroyed earth."

Here, somebody do this:

1. Get the energy release for the tsar bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated.
  2. Get the approximate number of warheads in everybody's nuclear arsenal.
  3. Multiple #1 by #2, which will likely give you a figure a couple orders of magnitude higher than the actual combined destructive power of the world's nukes.
  4. Compare that to the gravitational binding energy of the planet.

Okay, so they can render large portions of the earth veritable wastelands, unable to sustain life for an indefinite period of time, possibly forever depending on just how much life we're able to destroy, and that doesn't fit your definition of destroyed?

Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#96 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

Humans sure had a lot of potential to live in harmony with the earth...

Avatar image for Gunslinger_1988
Gunslinger_1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Gunslinger_1988
Member since 2009 • 766 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]We haven't COMPLETELY destroyed the Earth, only most of it. At least the north pole is still intact!joshrocks2245

Don't you think thats wrong we've done that?? I think it's sad that we destroyed most of the stuff on earth and some humans think they are so great, I mean none of us are great, we destoryed this planet that doesn't belong to us.

When we have gathered all the resources from this planet we will move to the next hospitable planet, and the process will continoue unless we can adapt and find a way to conserve it. The way were heading it seems that way, but we Humans are trying to be more eco-friendly by using solar, electric, and hydrogen energy.

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 NarutoFever1

There's so much new technology awaiting to be discovered.

Sure, we haven't destroyed it yet, but there's no way you can safely say we won't ever.

Unless you can see into the future.

Maybe a week from now, maybe a couple million years.

We're stupid enough we will continue to harm Earth, intentionally or not.

And for the record, I doubt they literally meant 'destroyed'.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Okay, so they can render large portions of the earth veritable wastelands, unable to sustain life for an indefinite period of time, possibly forever depending on just how much life we're able to destroy, and that doesn't fit your definition of destroyed?

theone86

Shouldn't fit anyone's definition of "destroyed", because the Earth is still there.

If you take a needle, dip it in alcohol and then heat it up red hot, have you destroyed that needle? Or have you simply removed all life from that needle?

If you take a metal pot full of crabs and shrimp, and then heat it to the point that everything in that pot is dead, have you destroyed the pot?

If you go to the zoo and kill every single animal on exhibit, have you destroyed the zoo?

This is the ONLY instance in which Y lives on X, and people somehow think that destroying Y is synonymous witrh destroying X. If you killed off the athlete's foot fungus living on your feet, is that the same as saying that you have destroyed your feet? No, because the fungus and the foot aren't the same thing. The "organisms which live on Earth" are NOT the same thing as "Earth". They are not the same thing. Destroying one does not require the destruction of the other. Earth could be a barren wasteland completely devoid of all life, and Earth would still be doing just fine.

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

I'll be moving to Reachwhen Earth is destroyed. So long suckers :P