Have any Obama supporters defended the phone data collection?

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Have any Obama supporters on this board defended the phone data collection?

I want to know what how people have reacted on the other side of the debate.  

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

biggest_loser
Yeah. smh
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

I haven't and wouldn't.

The thing about the Democrats is they're only the less evil party.  That doesn't make them the good guys.  There still evil.  But everyone knows damn well that the alternative would be no different.  A President Romney wouldn't even hesitate with these kind of violations.   

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

biggest_loser

"On the other side of the debate" implies this is a partisan liberal vs conservative, republican vs democrat debate. The whole edifice of government is rotten on this one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I don't defend it. but this administration isn't the only one that's done it, and I see far more pissy people now than when the Patriot act was first passed. People didn't care as much about privacy 10 years ago.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I don't really know of almost anyone who supports this, Democrat, Republican, or otherwise.

I don't defend it. but this administration isn't the only one that's done it, and I see far more pissy people now than when the Patriot act was first passed. People didn't care as much about privacy 10 years ago.

jimkabrhel
Russ Feingold did (unfortunately got kicked out by a tea party f*****)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b78379493e12

I don't really know of almost anyone who supports this, Democrat, Republican, or otherwise. [QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

chessmaster1989

Russ Feingold did (unfortunately got kicked out by a tea party f*****)

I did my part, voting for Russ. Democrats didn't come out in 2010 in Wisconsin. I really hope Russ gets back into politics.

Floridaman46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Floridaman46
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

I will I have because I do NOT CARE. We have more important problems in the World than this. I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT MY PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrPraline

I will I have because I do NOT CARE. We have more important problems in the World than this. I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT MY PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA.

Floridaman46
Why would you bother defending something you do not care about?
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

I see no reason why anyone who considers himself/herself a "libertarian" could support that cult of cavemen that is the Republican party. I also see no reason why anyone who considers himself/herself a progressive could support a party whose views on the economy, foreign affairs, colonialism, police state and whatnot are pretty much exactly like the Republican party's, just without all the blatant racism and homophobia.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

I see no reason why anyone who considers himself/herself a "libertarian" could support that cult of cavemen that is the Republican party. I also see no reason why anyone who considers himself/herself a progressive could support a party whose views on the economy, foreign affairs, colonialism, police state and whatnot are pretty much exactly like the Republican party's, just without all the blatant racism and homophobia.

LordQuorthon

Because if they want to actually accomplish anything politically, they are shut out by law and practice from doing anything unless they identify with those parties.

On topic: I defend this.

I hope some day all of this surveillance and the likes goes away and then we get attacked... I would love to see the hypocrisy that emerges when everyone complains about how the government didn't do enough.  Also they listen to us anyways... At least Obama comes out and says they are listening, Bush didn't even say that.  So it happens regardless, thankfully since the 2004 Intelligence Reform Act, US Intelligence is a well oiled machine compared to how it used to be and a bureaucratic pool of several different chains of command and checks and balances... As well as competing chains of command (SecDef vs DNI, etc)... If it were 2001 and I were hearing all of this I would be scared, but its 2013 and there has been much reform since 9/11.

inb4 someone quotes Benjamin Franklin "freedom/security" 

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrPraline
At least Obama comes out and says they are listening, Bush didn't even say that. Squeets
After a major leak, yeah.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]At least Obama comes out and says they are listening, Bush didn't even say that. MrPraline

Yep, just damage control and nothing more. 

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

It will help in preventing terrorist attacks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b78379493e12

Obama just wants to catch those responsible for leaking his fake birth certificate.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="Squeets"]At least Obama comes out and says they are listening, Bush didn't even say that. Yusuke420

Yep, just damage control and nothing more. 

Yep. Very dangerous man. With a fedgov like this you do not even need foreign enemies.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrPraline

call_of_duty_10
lol
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Yep. Very dangerous man. With a fedgov like this you do not even need foreign enemies.MrPraline
Agreed. Every day I walk out of my house, I'm afraid the Obama man and his cronies are gonna come get me.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#19 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Yes some people defend that sh!t.

Some people would eat a mile of Obama's sh!t if it led straight to his a$$ so they can kiss it. 

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

MrPraline
lol

I fail to see why you found my comment so funny. Do you really think your government cares if you called your friend a dork?Or that your neighbours like weird sex? I just cannot understand why people are making such a big deal about this.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

I'm alost never on the phone ane rarely text.....I could care less.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrPraline
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]Yep. Very dangerous man. With a fedgov like this you do not even need foreign enemies.UCF_Knight
Agreed. Every day I walk out of my house, I'm afraid the Obama man and his cronies are gonna come get me.

I hope they don't bro : > [QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] Do you really think your government cares if you called your friend a dork?Or that your neighbours like weird sex? I just cannot understand why people are making such a big deal about this.

It's quite a big deal. Plenty of people including me are not happy with sacrificing privacy under the guise of gaining a fake sense of security. Terrorism is about fear, not casualties, and a quick glance at any random airport shows "they" won plenty of years ago. Giving up civil rights for a silly illusion of security is not something I'd be quite happy about. And even the author of f*cking patriot act said on Friday that this goes too far.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
The attacks against it aren't done on principle of privacy, they're done to attack the president, clearly evident since conservatives didn't go apeshit when Bush did it.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

Its pretty terrible. The problem is both the Repubs and Dems both like increasing these types of govt powers/

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrPraline
The attacks against it aren't done on principle of privacy, they're done to attack the president, clearly evident since conservatives didn't go apeshit when Bush did it.lamprey263
It's true that there are plenty of people who see things through the myopic world view of left and right. Same can be said for Democrats that "went apeshit" during the Iraq war, Gitmo, patriot act etc and defend it under Barry. It's a sad truth. This isn't about sport teams like the Republicans and the Democrats. This should be cause for a national outrage. Setting joke term asides and breaking the blue red paradigm. F*ck em all. Private lives are none of the .gov's business. Fear mongering or not.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
There are some. OT has its fair share of hypocrites on the right and left. All sad. Lot of playing politics.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I wish frannkzappa was here to tell me his opinions on this specific topic.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrPraline

I wish frannkzappa was here to tell me his opinions on this specific topic.

coolbeans90
Guy probably had the best orgasm of his life on Friday.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Nothing to defend.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Floridaman46
More serious problems? Like what? The rights we're attributed in this country are there to protect us from the possibility of an oppressive government. If the government is systematically stripping us of those rights, what end are they working toward? People used the arguement that negroes couldn't care for themselves to justify slavery. The government is using the same reasoning(albeit more quietly) to oppress the entire nation rather than one small demographic. You just wait until you find yourself in a cell because the government outlawed the slogan on your T shirt while you were looking at "more important problems in the world."
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#31 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
One issue I got with this is the study of citizens with this data. The United States government studies psychology and the data collected by this program is likely utilized by that field, but the purpose of the research of the data is not publicly known. The real reason would probably seem like a conspiracy theory.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 El_Zo1212o
Setting joke term asides and breaking the blue red paradigm. F*ck em all. Private lives are none of the .gov's business. Fear mongering or not.MrPraline
I think I love you.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrPraline
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]Setting joke term asides and breaking the blue red paradigm. F*ck em all. Private lives are none of the .gov's business. Fear mongering or not.El_Zo1212o
I think I love you.

< 3
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 El_Zo1212o

bush-obama.jpg.

Ackad
WOAH-bama.
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Doesn't really matter so I don't care about it.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrPraline
 Not a big deal at all
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
idg why we're outraged in 2013. Any who, no one will care after a couple of days.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

call_of_duty_10

lol

I fail to see why you found my comment so funny. Do you really think your government cares if you called your friend a dork?Or that your neighbours like weird sex? I just cannot understand why people are making such a big deal about this.

Two problems:

1. Do you really think that the NSA listening in on everyone's phone sex is really doing anything to stop terror attacks? Or your phone calls to grandma and grandpa? At this point, criminals under legally-acquired wire taps have more rights.

2. Innocent calls to terror-supporting nations can set up the wrong flags. If an immigrant from Iran calls his family back in the old country, does that make him a terror supporter? It sure makes him a suspect.

If you want an inside track to the Presidency in 2016, start running on a repeal of the Patriot Act right now.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Squeets

idg why we're outraged in 2013. Any who, no one will care after a couple of days.DroidPhysX

Yeah in a few days when there's an earthquake or massive forest fire that will be the new thing that is Obama's fault.

Good call.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Not a big deal at allMrPraline

I really hope that image isn't actually classified.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Squeets

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="MrPraline"]lolOrkHammer007

Two problems:

1. Do you really think that the NSA listening in on everyone's phone sex is really doing anything to stop terror attacks? Or your phone calls to grandma and grandpa? At this point, criminals under legally-acquired wire taps have more rights.

2. Innocent calls to terror-supporting nations can set up the wrong flags. If an immigrant from Iran calls his family back in the old country, does that make him a terror supporter? It sure makes him a suspect.

If you want an inside track to the Presidency in 2016, start running on a repeal of the Patriot Act right now.

Considering there are still extremist groups with the goal of killing Americans and plots for terrorist attacks within the US, yet 12 years on there hasn't been one successful attack.

inb4 correlation does not imply causation

inb4 al qaeda was created by government

inb4 9/11 was an inside job

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]idg why we're outraged in 2013. Any who, no one will care after a couple of days.Squeets

Yeah in a few days when there's an earthquake or massive forest fire that will be the new thing that is Obama's fault.

Good call.

That's a great plan! Sarcasm all your rights away.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] I fail to see why you found my comment so funny. Do you really think your government cares if you called your friend a dork?Or that your neighbours like weird sex? I just cannot understand why people are making such a big deal about this.Squeets

Two problems:

Considering there are still extremist groups with the goal of killing Americans and plots for terrorist attacks within the US, yet 12 years on there hasn't been one successful attack.

If you're suggesting that the Patriot Act has prevented any further terrorist attacks since 2001, I've got a rock to sell you that keeps tigers away, Captain of the Bear Patrol.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]idg why we're outraged in 2013. Any who, no one will care after a couple of days.El_Zo1212o

Good call.

That's a great plan! Sarcasm all your rights away.

I have to make myself look appealing so that in 20 years I can be chief of the thought police.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrPraline

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] I fail to see why you found my comment so funny. Do you really think your government cares if you called your friend a dork?Or that your neighbours like weird sex? I just cannot understand why people are making such a big deal about this.Squeets

Two problems:

I don't understand how that justifies the trampling of civil rights and the decimation of privacy, though. I'll take freedom over the silly empty illusion of security that we receive at the airport and on the streets.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

Two problems:

Boston Marathon, just over a month ago, chief.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#48 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

LordQuorthon
Let me guess.....not wanting illegal immigration=racism and not agreeing with homosexuality=homophobia. But of course you are the party of open minds.....as long as everyone sees things your way.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

vfibsux
Let me guess.....not wanting illegal immigration=racism and not agreeing with homosexuality=homophobia. But of course you are the party of open minds.....as long as everyone sees things your way.

It's okay, you can just admit you're a homophobe.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Let me guess.....not wanting illegal immigration=racism and not agreeing with homosexuality=homophobia. But of course you are the party of open minds.....as long as everyone sees things your way.vfibsux

And illiterate. Rapublicans are also illiterate, as proven by this post.