gta V is barely on the shelf and already parents are failing

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2Dh817ZyM

THINK OF THE CHILDREN (what you just witnessed was an 11yr old french kid freaking out over his gift of gta V like a 12yr old girl at a justin bieber concert)

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Idc, as long as the parents understand whats in the game and aren't going to freak then I dont see the problem.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

best game series ever :)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Idc, as long as the parents understand whats in the game and aren't going to freak then I dont see the problem.

Bardock47

its GTA.. everytime we get a new one bad things happen to gamers as a demographic in the public limelight. and generally its parents who buy it for an underage youth (as recommended by the esrb) or buy it for their unstable teenagers at some point

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

[QUOTE="Bardock47"]

ionusX

its GTA.. everytime we get a new one bad things happen to gamers as a demographic in the public limelight. and generally its parents who buy it for an underage youth (as recommended by the esrb) or buy it for their unstable teenagers at some point

That is the case. At the end of the day though we know that its their fault. And of they do have an issue, they have no one else to blame but themselves. They can try and shove blame on the industry all they want; the ignorant parents are the ones buying a game named GRAND THEFT AUTO. So, if there is some sort of backlash, I really hope people are smart enough to relalize there are ratings, and a system in place. The fact that whenever Violent games get brought up, and no one retorts that there are rating surprises me when you see things in the news.

paulie69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 paulie69
Member since 2005 • 373 Posts

I was 4 years old the first time I played Doom on PC. I've been brought up around violent video games and I'm perfectly normal - Hell! I've only killed 2 people.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I am anticipating this game
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
I remember when i was 9, and my grandparents bought me Duke Nukem 3D. There were strippers, and you shot cops. I've yet to shoot a cop, got nothing against strippers either.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dave123321
So an 8 gb install. Need to check if I have room
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
I'm just going to post the same thing I already posted on kotaku I'm very confused at what the problem is? Seriously I would poop myself if I was that young and able to play something of that caliber days before it came out (like halo 2) Also I created a account to ask this... Why does it matter what this childs parents let this kid play? When I was 10 years old I played grand theft auto 3 when it came out (I am 21 years old now) that experience did not make me worse as a person, nor did it cause me to be unable to separate reality from a video game. My parents were great parents who let me play these games while simultaneously explaining that these are just video games and that there are repercussions to doing these actions in real life. Seriously I would have a bigger problem with my child watching or playing something violent that does not look bloody (such as the new xmen movie where wolverine is stabbing people with his claws with no blood and is totally unrealistic and off). Then to play something like GTA that shows people in pain and tries to at least show that such action have repercussions (such as being chased by the police and gaining wanted stars. seriously you all need to get off your high horse and just be fine with the kid playing the damn game.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="fl4tlined"]I'm just going to post the same thing I already posted on kotaku I'm very confused at what the problem is? Seriously I would poop myself if I was that young and able to play something of that caliber days before it came out (like halo 2) Also I created a account to ask this... Why does it matter what this childs parents let this kid play? When I was 10 years old I played grand theft auto 3 when it came out (I am 21 years old now) that experience did not make me worse as a person, nor did it cause me to be unable to separate reality from a video game. My parents were great parents who let me play these games while simultaneously explaining that these are just video games and that there are repercussions to doing these actions in real life. Seriously I would have a bigger problem with my child watching or playing something violent that does not look bloody (such as the new xmen movie where wolverine is stabbing people with his claws with no blood and is totally unrealistic and off). Then to play something like GTA that shows people in pain and tries to at least show that such action have repercussions (such as being chased by the police and gaining wanted stars. seriously you all need to get off your high horse and just be fine with the kid playing the damn game.

Not everybody is the same. There are a lot of shitty parents out there (and a lot of good ones) so I think assuming the parents know what they're doing isn't the wisest thing to do. Hell, it's why the ESRB and M rating exists in the first place.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
so what? i played rated m games as a kid. i didnt turn out to be a sociopath.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Toxic-Seahorse

so what? i played rated m games as a kid. i didnt turn out to be a sociopath. mems_1224
I see this argument a lot, but like I said in my post, everyone is different. Plus, the M rated games of today (such as GTA V) are much more graphic than the M rated games (or mature games before ESRP was around) of the past. You simply can't compare something like Duke Nuken 3D or Diablo 2 to GTA V. GTA is WAY more graphic.

I'm not saying kids shouldn't be allowed to play them, it's just something to think about. I think 10-12 years old is too young for GTA.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
My first game was Castle Wolfenstein 3D and I'm not that f*cked up. That said, I can't wait to see if I can get a pedestrian shish kebab going on with a forklift.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Not everybody is the same. There are a lot of shitty parents out there (and a lot of good ones) so I think assuming the parents know what they're doing isn't the wisest thing to do. Hell, it's why the ESRB and M rating exists in the first place.

Well, there's no reason to assume that the parents don't know what they're doing either. If this kid goes and murders somebody or steals a car due to being influenced by the game, THEN we can point the finger at the parents and say that they shouldn't have bought him the game. Until then, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to say that they shouldn't have bought him the game. If that kid's parents think he can handle a GTA game, then you and I and the ESRB aren't in any position to say otherwise.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]so what? i played rated m games as a kid. i didnt turn out to be a sociopath. Toxic-Seahorse

I see this argument a lot, but like I said in my post, everyone is different. Plus, the M rated games of today (such as GTA V) are much more graphic than the M rated games (or mature games before ESRP was around) of the past. You simply can't compare something like Duke Nuken 3D or Diablo 2 to GTA V. GTA is WAY more graphic.

I'm not saying kids shouldn't be allowed to play them, it's just something to think about. I think 10-12 years old is too young for GTA.

lol wut? you could rip out a dude's spine in MK. plenty of kids play m rated games and turn out perfectly fine. my little 10 year old cousin got Saints Row 4, hes a perfectly normal kid. most kids aren't going to be affected by playing super violent games at a young age.
photokid201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 photokid201
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts

Tears of joy. I'm going to be doing the same thing come the 17th 

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]I played rated m games when i was a kid. and to me its nothing wrong unless you take games serious and do thinks like in gaming. some kids do. i used to play tons of PC FPS as kids and now still play them as mature. but problem with GTA. its a game that is immature game. include stript clubs, live sex, half nake girls, pole dancing and blah blah blah. its a popular game. and biggest game this year but only sale wise and popularity. not quality wise/

metro had a strip club and boobs too. owned yourself noob
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]so what? i played rated m games as a kid. i didnt turn out to be a sociopath. mems_1224

lol wut? you could rip out a dude's spine in MK. plenty of kids play m rated games and turn out perfectly fine. my little 10 year old cousin got Saints Row 4, hes a perfectly normal kid. most kids aren't going to be affected by playing super violent games at a young age.

Yeah you could, but it wasn't nearly as graphics due to the hardware limitations of the time.

Again, "plenty of kids" isn't a good enough reason to say all kids should be fine. 

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]I played rated m games when i was a kid. and to me its nothing wrong unless you take games serious and do thinks like in gaming. some kids do. i used to play tons of PC FPS as kids and now still play them as mature. but problem with GTA. its a game that is immature game. include stript clubs, live sex, half nake girls, pole dancing and blah blah blah. its a popular game. and biggest game this year but only sale wise and popularity. not quality wise/

Leisure Suit Larry.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] I see this argument a lot, but like I said in my post, everyone is different. Plus, the M rated games of today (such as GTA V) are much more graphic than the M rated games (or mature games before ESRP was around) of the past. You simply can't compare something like Duke Nuken 3D or Diablo 2 to GTA V. GTA is WAY more graphic.

Toxic-Seahorse

Yeah you could, but it wasn't nearly as graphics due to the hardware limitations of the time.

Again, "plenty of kids" isn't a good enough reason to say all kids should be fine. 

just because a few kids are affected by it doesnt mean everyone else should have to suffer. thats an equally dumb way of looking at things.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Not everybody is the same. There are a lot of shitty parents out there (and a lot of good ones) so I think assuming the parents know what they're doing isn't the wisest thing to do. Hell, it's why the ESRB and M rating exists in the first place.

Well, there's no reason to assume that the parents don't know what they're doing either. If this kid goes and murders somebody or steals a car due to being influenced by the game, THEN we can point the finger at the parents and say that they shouldn't have bought him the game. Until then, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to say that they shouldn't have bought him the game. If that kid's parents think he can handle a GTA game, then you and I and the ESRB aren't in any position to say otherwise.

You make some excellent points, but remember that I am not trying to say violent video games are bad for children, just that they could be. There have been crimes blamed on video games. Now whether it was right or not is a completely different issue that would require years of studies. The point is, you have to regulate things assuming the worst could happen. Kids' minds aren't anywhere near fully developed at 10 years old. Nobody really knows how violent videos could affect them.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] lol wut? you could rip out a dude's spine in MK. plenty of kids play m rated games and turn out perfectly fine. my little 10 year old cousin got Saints Row 4, hes a perfectly normal kid. most kids aren't going to be affected by playing super violent games at a young age. mems_1224

just because a few kids are affected by it doesnt mean everyone else should have to suffer. thats an equally dumb way of looking at things.

Is it really? It's exactly how alcohol and many drugs are regulated. It would be impossible to regulate such things in a case by case basis. Why should video games be any different?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]I played rated m games when i was a kid. and to me its nothing wrong unless you take games serious and do thinks like in gaming. some kids do. i used to play tons of PC FPS as kids and now still play them as mature. but problem with GTA. its a game that is immature game. include stript clubs, live sex, half nake girls, pole dancing and blah blah blah. its a popular game. and biggest game this year but only sale wise and popularity. not quality wise/

metro had a strip club and boobs too. owned yourself noob

its only short. yes id say stript club scene in Metro Ruined Atmoshpere when game is suppose to be dark and gritty. but the thing is metro unlike GTA is not focus on nudity and sex. its focus on Dat dark and gritty atmoshpere

GTA isn't focused on nudity or sex either. :|
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321
is there nudity in the strip clubs in gta games
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Toxic-Seahorse

is there nudity in the strip clubs in gta gamesdave123321
Not that I've seen in games like Vice City, although I haven't played GTA 4 all that much to know if there is any in it. It's only rated for partial nudity, which everyone knows is basically nothing serious. The Witcher 2 has more nudity than any GTA game.

I think the main problem peoplr have with GTA is the violence, not the sexual themes. Being able to kill innocent citizens doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
is there nudity in the strip clubs in gta gamesdave123321
There's uncovered breasts in GTAV strip clubs according to leaks. That and the one scene in Lost and Damned which has full frontal nudity [spoiler] on a male [/spoiler]
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="dave123321"]is there nudity in the strip clubs in gta gamesAce6301
There's uncovered breasts in GTAV strip clubs according to leaks. That and the one scene in Lost and Damned which has full frontal nudity [spoiler] on a male [/spoiler]

lol, I was surprised when I saw that scene. Did not see that coming.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
I don't get it, tears of joy? or they got him the PS4 version and he owns an Xbox 360?
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
cool parents
Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
For me, while I don't necessarily see the problem with having a kid playing this game if he is mature enough, but there are many other games I would rather have my kid playing. I always liked games that directly showed consequences of good and bad choices like Knights of the Old Republic and Fable. Games with thoughtful storytelling and cooperation with others is always a plus as well. It's a much better medium than, say, watching cartoons if that's what I want my kid to be doing while I'm at work. More interactivity, playing with others, and hopefully quality storytelling. For me, GTA doesn't quite fit the bill. Yes, it has some interesting subject matter and co-op gameplay. But let's be honest, I'm pretty sure my kid would just go on rampages and free roam. Yes, the cops chase you if you do bad things, but they act unlike any police department I've ever seen so I don't really see this as a true depiction of "consequences" since it takes 11 swat trucks to take down anyone decent. I don't really have a problem if parents let their kid play that, I just think there are so many more beneficial games to play that young to help you grow as a person. I know it helped me.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Oh noes, parents bought their kid GTAV!

And exemplary display of terrible parenting!

Leisure Suit Larry.Nibroc420

That was a fun game. I must've been around 11 or 12 when I first played it.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nibroc420

Oh noes, parents bought their kid GTAV!

And exemplary display of terrible parenting!

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Leisure Suit Larry.Celldrax

That was a fun game. I must've been around 11 or 12 when I first played it.

I think i was 9 and a friend had it, but we never got to play it
Probably the first game ever "off limits", the second being Conker :P

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Wut? Justin Bieber crying over gta 5, ok.

Iceozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Iceozo
Member since 2009 • 6441 Posts

Why does an 11 year old french kid have the game before me? WHY DAMNIT?

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

I hope they either cut back on the vehicle chases, or improve on them.

been playing GTA IV recently and am annoyed with the chases. its pretty damn cheap, to make the person your chasing invincible for parts of the chase.

just tonight i was doing a chase, all was going smooth, then happened to hit one of those orange cone thingies. car flipped. lost the enemies. had to do the mission over. turns out i was pretty much at the end of the mission. just about less than a minute more.

and motorcycle chases, I Fucking hate the motorcyle chases in GTA IV.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nibroc420

been playing GTA IV recently and am annoyed with the chases. its pretty damn cheap, to make the person your chasing invincible for parts of the chase.

just tonight i was doing a chase, all was going smooth, then happened to hit one of those orange cone thingies. car flipped. lost the enemies. had to do the mission over. turns out i was pretty much at the end of the mission. just about less than a minute more.

and motorcycle chases, I **** hate the motorcyle chases in GTA IV.

konvikt_17

Motorcycles were the most fun in GTA IV. I'd spend a good 20-30 minutes just driving around at top speed on a bike, looking for something to jump.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

and motorcycle chases, I **** hate the motorcyle chases in GTA IV.

Nibroc420

Motorcycles were the most fun in GTA IV. I'd spend a good 20-30 minutes just driving around at top speed on a bike, looking for something to jump.

I do somewhat enjoy motorcycles, its just the chases that are annoying.:P im moreso a car person though.

chases wouldnt be so bad, if you knew when the enemy was invincible or not at certain times.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

I really don't give a shit.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

but theres clearly something wrong with you so your point is lost
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
I am anticipating this game dave123321
Me too.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Biggest thing since San Andreas.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

I was 4 years old the first time I played Doom on PC. I've been brought up around violent video games and I'm perfectly normal - Hell! I've only killed 2 people.

paulie69
:lol:
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I would never let my kid under 15 or so play GTA.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

cain006

Now that I think back. I was mature enough to handle it at 13. I think that's a good age... Maybe younger is the kid is really mature. Kids 8-13 could honestly probably handle it lol.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#48 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

The_Lipscomb

Now that I think back. I was mature enough to handle it at 13. I think that's a good age... Maybe younger is the kid is really mature. Kids 8-13 could honestly probably handle it lol.

Most  could, but honestly what's the harm in not letting them play GTA for a few years? Just give them games like Rayman, Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, hell even Mass Effect and other M rated games as long as I know what's in them.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
Each child is different. Ive been playing mature games since I was a child and my parents never cared cause they believed I was mature enough to handle it. Some kids on the other hand arent and that's up to the parents to determine.
AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

I actually don't care if kids play Mature games. Lets be honest to many gamers who are in their 20's and older who say kids should not play violent games. We all played mature games when we were kids and I bet you that many of us who played the older GTA games (3, Vice City and San Andreas) were under the age of 17. And that goes with many other games as well. I played Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life, Mortal Kombat and many other violent games as a kid. And guess what? I never hurt or killed anybody and same with and other people that I know who plays them as well. As long as the kids know what is right and wrong and have good parents to watch what they are doing. It's not a big deal.