Gamespot - Memories

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#101 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@SOedipus said:

The community was definitely more active when I joined. Now it's the same topics still on the first page for weeks. I remember new ones filling up the first page everyday.

There were quiet times but, yeah, new threads would slip of the first page quickly on a busy evening.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#102 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@foxhound_fox: Being someone with nearly as much time as a member as you, I hold a different opinion about trolling and disruptive content. Furthermore, I, and many others, would rather not settle for petty intransigence at the cost of intellectualism.

There hasn't been an intellectual debate in OT in years. Don't make me laugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#103 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@davillain- said:

@BranKetra: Interesting.

don't believe him, it wasn't that bad

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@davillain- said:

The bad part was that the Staff deleted the comments on those banned word lists and they even lock the thread cause they couldn't handle the users questions. That was stupid.

Indeed. That was the most hilarious. It's like they can't act like adults and discuss things openly, even after asking for community input, and just sweep it all under the rug. Especially with things like KMX.

Yeah I agree that the Code of Conduct is getting updated too much, the notice thread about it that got posted in this forum was what drew the line for me. Apparently GS can't seem to make up its mind, because the way the COC keeps going, it looks as though its currently in a trickle effect of just eventually winding up being like how the rules were before November 2011 (Which were the super strict rules.)

As for this KMX story, yeah that whole thing disturbs me as well, I was around GS back in January 2012 and am aware of what happened, but I don't know the full story, and I wish I could find out more solid legit evidence and information about the whole thing. Sounds like its quite fortunate that back then I wasn't around OT much and wasn't posting actively at it like I am now, was mostly at 1 2 or 3 unions, as it appears I avoided something that was disgusting.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 foxhound_fox

@Toph_Girl250 said:

Yeah I agree that the Code of Conduct is getting updated too much, the notice thread about it that got posted in this forum was what drew the line for me. Apparently GS can't seem to make up its mind, because the way the COC keeps going, it looks as though its currently in a trickle effect of just eventually winding up being like how the rules were before November 2011 (Which were the super strict rules.)

As for this KMX story, yeah that whole thing disturbs me as well, I was around GS back in January 2012 and am aware of what happened, but I don't know the full story, and I wish I could find out more solid legit evidence and information about the whole thing. Sounds like its quite fortunate that back then I wasn't around OT much and wasn't posting actively at it like I am now, was mostly at 1 2 or 3 unions, as it appears I avoided something that was disgusting.

Disgusting and downright criminal. And Gamespot did almost nothing to stop it for quite some time. I'm not aware of the details myself, but I have been privy to the general story and it's shameful that they let it go on as long as they did.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#106 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

I can't believe there are 3 day old threads on the first page. My younger self wouldn't have stood for it.

You should start a PYP thread then, and I'm totally not just saying that because I miss your face.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Toph_Girl250 said:

Disgusting and downright criminal. And Gamespot did almost nothing to stop it for quite some time. I'm not aware of the details myself, but I have been privy to the general story and it's shameful that they let it go on as long as they did.

Man, no damn justice in this world. Its obvious CBS Interactive (the company that supposedly owns sites like this one) is another company held on life support by the corrupted American establishment. Interesting that I stumbled upon a news story mentioning this problem the other night. Senator Elizabeth Warren said something I most certainly agree with, that the American justice department, the whole schebang, isn't looking to this not nearly enough, they are not concentrating on corporate crime, and busting corporate criminals.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#108  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Perhaps not enough attention has been given to them. It is fine if you want to have regressive views particular to your own worldview. As a moderator, I will do my best to promote the positive ones.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 foxhound_fox

@BranKetra said:

@foxhound_fox: Perhaps you have not been paying attention.

No, I have been. You must have a false impression of what an intellectual debate is.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By branketra

@foxhound_fox: I do not, yet I also seek to find the good in what others say and forgo appropriating the bad into my own worldview. That might be, in my humble opinion, a difference between some and myself. No offense intended.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 foxhound_fox

@BranKetra said:

@foxhound_fox: I do not, yet I also seek to find the good in what others say and not appropriate the bad into my own worldview. That might be, in my humble opinion, a difference between you and me. No offense intended.

What does 95% of this have to do with the statement I made? You say no offense, yet this seems like a subtle jab at me personally.

Gamespot hasn't seen a quality intellectual debate since most of the big debaters were pushed away by the union purge. And the number of intellectual users left couldn't be arsed to participate in one if it did occur.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By branketra

@foxhound_fox: I thought my comments would come across as too personal, so I edited them. Sorry about that. Frankly, I would rather talk about ideas instead of people, anyway.

Part of the intellectual process, according to many academics, is recognizing the valuable, reasonable parts of discussions, and utilizing them to gain holistic perspective about humanity and the state of things as they are. Also of importance is not allowing ourselves to transform our minds to that which generalizes because of seeing numerous faults in the assertions of others, ampliative or deductive, or ourselves. Hence, I seek to appropriate the good arguments into my perspectives and forgo the bad arguments. One of the latter, in my view, is that which views this entire international forum as that without a single intellectual discussion in years when in my experience there has been and more.

That said, your reasons for viewing Off Topic Discussion as you do are acknowledged, but disagreed with due to the presence of empirical evidence from over the years which you say reality is without, currently. Frankly, they are extraordinary.

omotih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By omotih
Member since 2015 • 1556 Posts

empirical evidence

but how much is an empirical evidence worth if we all know that in reality our eyes see everything up side down, and only the brain shows us the images we recieve from the outside coreccted ... isnt that troubeling, I mean what else could be simply an Illusion produced by our brain, something like the perception of 'perspective' maybe ? an Illusion simply to eliminate everything that could put us in danger, long before it even reaches our consciousness ... ? empirical evidence is the least trust worthy evidence we can recieve ...

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By SolidSnake35

@scorch-62 said:
@SolidSnake35 said:

I can't believe there are 3 day old threads on the first page. My younger self wouldn't have stood for it.

You should start a PYP thread then, and I'm totally not just saying that because I miss your face.

Never really enjoyed those so much. I liked the dumb threads with no purpose.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:
@scorch-62 said:
@SolidSnake35 said:

Amuse me because I miss your face.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By branketra

@omotih: I hold the view that phenomena, things-as-we-perceive them are all that we can truly understand, as we cannot see things-as-they-are, noumena. You say that this is illusory knowledge. Empiricism may be based on that which we do not fully understand through logic, but it can answer questions which intuition and logic cannot. If you doubt this, you are challenging quantum theory which I would say that you ought to do to recognize its validity for yourself. Similarly, though not quantum theory, I invite you to look through the history of Off-Topic over the recent two years to see where intellectual discussions have occurred.

For a person, you can look at @korvus for an intellectual.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

When Twilight Princess flopped.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By SolidSnake35

@scorch-62 said:
@SolidSnake35 said:
@scorch-62 said:
@SolidSnake35 said:

Amuse me because I miss your face.

I am no longer the amusing rogue I once was.

PIXEL8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#119 PIXEL8
Member since 2016 • 203 Posts

I miss the days of Greg Kasavin and the old crew. When there was no Twitter and staff actually posted interesting and thought provoking blogs. I miss On the Spot, Button Mashing and Tournament TV with Rich Gallup. I miss video reviews that weren't scripted and the reviewers critique was more thorough. I miss emblems and Unions. I miss the User Soapbox, wher interesting user blogs were highlighted on the main page. I missed the cool prizes that the site used to award to members. And I miss the old layout most of all. No one here wanted the site change and no one likes it 3 years later.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@pixel8 said:

No one here wanted the site change and no one likes it 3 years later.

To be fair, though, the tech staff has worked out most of the bugs. The editor for forum posts is pretty feature rich and stable nowadays. And they've mostly done away with dependencies on Adobe Flash too. The site seems to have some solid HTML5/JavaScript developers on board now.

vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#121  Edited By vgmkyle
Member since 2004 • 8685 Posts

I miss detailed reviews. I miss DEEP and challenging games getting good scores. I miss the sound of deep voices during a video review. I can't even look at the review feed here without slapping myself across the face first. The story seems to mean soooo much to the critics here that that in itself defines the game. It's just pure stupidity and it's hard for me to read or listen to. The reviews just don't get into the gameplay. They try, but you can tell they have very little experience in actually playing games or being good at them. That's why I think the people that should get paid to write reviews are the pros of the games, the ones that have actually explored and produced good content.

Gears gets a 7 for it's campaign pacing, and Tomb Raider gets a 9 for being an old game with new features. Gamespot is basically a hipster critic site now. And hipsters hardly deserve to breathe. And you can say this is system wars, but it's actually bible: they are Sony fanboys to the molten core. It's so pathetically obvious that they are trend followers with no real opinion of their own. They would rather wait for a metacritic consensus and read other opinions than play the full game for themselves.

SO I guess the real question is... why do these people get paid anything? They want more money, and they want to work less.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#122 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Old Thread

-Locked-