Forbes Releases 2013 Top College Rankings. California Schools take 1 and 2.

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Sadly, most degrees are worthless no matter what school you attend.
waitaseck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 waitaseck
Member since 2006 • 2309 Posts
Forbes rankings are absolutely terrible. US News and World Report rankings are so much better. My school is pretty similarly ranked on both.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
University of Maryland at 73, not bad.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I'm at #159. Oh well, I guess that's not that bad.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

Sadly, most degrees are worthless no matter what school you attend. Spellingiscool

:lol: .. More like most degrees are worthless if you're lazy with no motivation. I personally know many art and philosophy majors become extremly successful... more so than some of my engineer friends.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Harvard is at #8.

trololololol

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
#30 Hail to the victors.
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

[QUOTE="Spellingiscool"]Sadly, most degrees are worthless no matter what school you attend. The_Lipscomb

:lol: .. More like most degrees are worthless if you're lazy with no motivation. I personally know many art and philosophy majors become extremly successful... more so than some of my engineer friends.

Which is why you can skip the degree entirely and still make something of yourself.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178874 Posts
School I attended is in the top 200. Lot of school from state there actually.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
My school got 423. WTF?!
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

University of Tennessee #282 we dont care about no damn education! only college football saturdays on the banks of the Tennessee river!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

My alma mater didn't make it. :(

heeweesRus

University of Wisconsin?

University of Wisconsin Eau Claire. It's a smaller school. It suited me just fine. Had a job a few months before I even graduated. Also had an internship and plenty of opportunities. Can't be all that bad.

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
All of the colleges I actively looked into are ranked in terrible order. University of Portland in the top 200? Yeah right.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Of course #1 is Stanford :cool:

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

#168, not too shabby.

Too bad I semi dropped out though.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts
#3 Babyy :P
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Sadly, most degrees are worthless no matter what school you attend. Spellingiscool

The battle cry of the unsuccessful right here.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
#599, that's kind of depressing, but I don't put much thought into these lists anyway. I like my school though.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Here are the QS rankings for comparison: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

coolbeans90

This is a much better list.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  I mean I don't know a lot about many international University's, but NYU's ranking on that list is strangely high (not that they're a bad school by any measn) for what their academics are.  The list seems to cater to urban schools in world cities.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 TacticalDesire

Yeah, those ranking are meh.

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I prefer the US News rankingscoolbeans90

This would also be better.

USNWR does not rank Universities and LACs together like Forbes does, so I think Forbes list is of value if for that reason alone.  On USNWR schools like Duke, Northwestern, Harvard etc. are not competing against the likes of Williams, Bowdoin, Amherst etc since they're ranked separately.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Here are the QS rankings for comparison: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

TacticalDesire

I'm not sure I agree with that.  I mean I don't know a lot about many international University's, but NYU's ranking on that list is strangely high (not that they're a bad school by any measn) for what their academics are.  The list seems to cater to urban schools in world cities.

Maybe, maybe not, but MIT was on top, which seems appropriate if academics are of concern.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#73 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Maybe, maybe not, but MIT was on top, which seems appropriate if academics are of concern.

^ A list without MIT in the top 5 is basically wrong.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean I don't know a lot about many international University's, but NYU's ranking on that list is strangely high (not that they're a bad school by any measn) for what their academics are. The list seems to cater to urban schools in world cities.

chessmaster1989

I disagree. Academics are always a concern for great schools, but academic skills are not what breeds 'great' people, leaders.

MIT may be composed of genius's/superior academics but not of people who stand out among those within a group. Great schools like Princeton, Harvard, Yale or Stanford choose those who are whip smart (and great academics) and who lead groups. Those who stand out among the crowd. Most leaders of substantial companies come from either 1 of those 4 schools. MIT is a school which holds the researchers, not the leaders.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58509 Posts

Cali wins again! Take that, rest of the country!Allicrombie

yup.  I love being Californian.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]Cali wins again! Take that, rest of the country!mrbojangles25

yup.  I love being Californian.

Me too. West Los Angeles forever baby.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

EagleEyedOne

I disagree. Academics are always a concern for great schools, but academic skills are not what breeds 'great' people, leaders.

MIT may be composed of genius's/superior academics but not of people who stand out among those within a group. Great schools like Princeton, Harvard, Yale or Stanford choose those who are whip smart (and great academics) and who lead groups. Those who stand out among the crowd. Most leaders of substantial companies come from either 1 of those 4 schools. MIT is a school which holds the researchers, not the leaders.

Traits you describe aren't those that make a school good - just personal characteristics of people who at one point went there, distinct from the schools as those aren't by any means leadership training grounds.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] ^ A list without MIT in the top 5 is basically wrong.coolbeans90

Traits you describe aren't those that make a school good - just personal characteristics of people who at one point went there, distinct from the schools as those aren't by any means leadership training grounds.

Just google the CEO of most any company. They either went to Princeton, Yale, Harvard, or Stanford. Not MIT.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

EagleEyedOne

Just google the CEO of most any company. They either went to Princeton, Yale, Harvard, or Stanford. Not MIT.

Yes, now read the post you just responded to.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Those schools seem to choose the best leaders.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] Just google the CEO of most any company. They either went to Princeton, Yale, Harvard, or Stanford. Not MIT.EagleEyedOne

No, the best leaders tend to pick those schools. This is very simple.

Edit: Moreover, your particular point could be narrowed down to an emphasis in a single field of study.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 EagleEyedOne

coolbeans90

Edit: Moreover, your particular point could be narrowed down to a single field of study.

Either way, leaders tend to go to those schools rather than MIT. What field of study would that be?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] Those schools seem to choose the best leaders.EagleEyedOne

Edit: Moreover, your particular point could be narrowed down to a single field of study.

Either way, leaders tend to go to those schools rather than MIT. What field of study would that be?

Yes, and that there a select few people (most people aren't CEO's and that is why MIT's average salary is still ranked above all the Ivies) that happen to be considerably better than most students in one aspect in the workforce has very limited implications as to improving their standing as a good school - while having superior academics dwarfs it by comparison. Like I said, this is very simple.

Business programs (finance and econ as well) at these schools tend to be really top-notch (which, along with prestige, attracts high caliber students in this field), and then there's the fact that a whole lot of these guys have Ivy MBAs, etc. Leaders aren't equally concentrated in all disciplines.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 EagleEyedOne

coolbeans90

Yes, and that there a select few people (most people aren't CEO's and that is why MIT's average salary is still ranked above all the Ivies) that happen to be considerably better than most students in one aspect in the workforce has very limited implications as to improving their standing as a good school - while having superior academics dwarfs it by comparison. Like I said, this is very simple.

Business programs (finance and econ as well) at these schools tend to be really top-notch (which, along with prestige, attracts high caliber students in this field), and then there's the fact that a whole lot of these guys have Ivy MBAs, etc. Leaders aren't equally concentrated in all disciplines.

I get what you are saying but it still doesn't take away from the fact that the leaders of America (or the world) go to Ivy League Schools rather than MIT.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] Either way, leaders tend to go to those schools rather than MIT. What field of study would that be?EagleEyedOne

I get what you are saying but it still doesn't take away from the fact that the leaders of America (or the world) go to Ivy League Schools rather than MIT.

and look where that got us

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

lostrib

While this is a pretty good come back it has it's dark side. Were Zappa here at the moment I'm sure he'd regale us with the virtues of technocracy.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 EagleEyedOne
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] I get what you are saying but it still doesn't take away from the fact that the leaders of America (or the world) go to Ivy League Schools rather than MIT.Ace6301

While this is a pretty good come back it has it's dark side. Were Zappa here at the moment I'm sure he'd regale us with the virtues of technocracy.

Zappa reads Sparknotes on Plato and pretends to think he knows everything about philosophy.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

EagleEyedOne

Zappa reads Sparknotes on Plato and pretends to think he knows everything about philosophy.

Perhaps, but even then I'm sure he at least has sparknotes on you.
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
#63 it's w/e tho
lordtree4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lordtree4
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

Aljosa23
I think I like this one better, #1 sure looks better than # 10 :D.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

Only looked through Top 200 and Michigan is not on the list. Found that odd. Might have missed it though.

Anyways, the program matters more than the school usually.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#92 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
Cali wins again! Take that, rest of the country!Allicrombie
Yeah, what she said! But my school is #363. rofl I'm not surprised.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#93 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

my school is probably somewhere in the 900's lol

(edit: it's somewhere in the mid 500's)

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
All I was looking at were those prices.
waitaseck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#95 waitaseck
Member since 2006 • 2309 Posts
All I was looking at were those prices.helwa1988
All of the top schools offer excellent financial aid for those who need it. Those huge endowments are truly put to use.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

[QUOTE="helwa1988"] Those huge endowments are truly put to use.waitaseck

...If you know what I mean  :D

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 TacticalDesire

Only looked through Top 200 and Michigan is not on the list. Found that odd. Might have missed it though.

Anyways, the program matters more than the school usually.

SpartanMSU

Michigan was number 30 I believe.  Which is probably the appropriate general placing for them.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Keep in mind this list is only ranking by undergrad, and not grad school where rankings are often broken down more by program.  Not that you're not free to criticize, I just feel that's worth pointing out.  

Again, this could just be my bias, but there is a good amount of evidence to support this.  For undergrad if you're really concerned about academics, you're probably better off going to an elite LAC rather than an Ivy or MIT, simply because you still get the connections, and top-notch professors, except that the professors are actually concerned about the students instead of their research or grad students.

There was a Berkely law school report that came out a number of years ago ranking the most rigorous or "grade deflation" schools for undergrads, and most of the top 5-10 were LACs, not Ivies, or MIT. 

That is probably a big reason why Pomona is number 2 on this list.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

TacticalDesire

Keep in mind this list is only ranking by undergrad, and not grad school where rankings are often broken down more by program.  Not that you're not free to criticize I just feel that's worth pointing out.  

Again, this could just be my bias, but there is a good amount of evidence to support this.  For undergrad if you're really concerned about academics, you're probably better off going to an elite LAC rather than an Ivy or MIT, simply because you still get the connections, and top-notch professors, except that the professors are actually concerned about the students instead of their research or grad students.

Would def. take MIT over those for undergrad, easily, and the list in the OP cites ratemyprofessors, so . . .

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Keep in mind this list is only ranking by undergrad, and not grad school where rankings are often broken down more by program.  Not that you're not free to criticize I just feel that's worth pointing out.  

Would def. take MIT over those for undergrad, easily, and the list in the OP cites ratemyprofessors, so . . .

Yeah, but most school's profs generally have similar overall ratings on ratemyprofessor anyway so it really becomes mostly irrelevant.