Forbes Releases 2013 Top College Rankings. California Schools take 1 and 2.

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Yesterday, Forbes released their 2013 rankings for America's top 650 colleges.  The big news is two California schools taking the 1st and 2nd spots which tend to be occupied by East coast schools.  I'm entering college this fall as a Freshman and I'm quite happy with my school's placement.

I'm sure there will be some replies questioning the validity of the rankings since they are different than the standard USNWR rankings.  Forbes has chosen to focus more on what students get from a school post-graduation, as compared to USNWR, which focuses mostly on selectivity of a school.  Of course, unsurprisingly, it is still all very selective schools at the top.

I'm sure there can be an argument made for rearranging a few schools, but I think if you look at it from a general view, they got things right, as in, the top 20, 50, 100, 200 are mostly right, and so on.

So OT, did your school make the top 650?

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

I understand rankings don't necessarily matter, but I'll admit that having just selected my college this past May, and set to soon be a college freshman it feels good to see my school well placed.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

#93. Not too bad.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Not even in the top #650.  Doesn't surprise me considering i chose the second cheapest school in the entire state.  It would be very easy to see why my school didn't make it based on the probably 80% of professors who simply didn't care.  You get what you pay for i guess.  And it makes sense because bad professors will influence the ranking based on the methodology used in this list, as well as the demographics of students coming (mine had mostly low income) into the college.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Here are the QS rankings for comparison: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

eh, don't care

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

The college I might go in the future for my 4 year degree is #444. :|

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib

liking where you go to school is a lot more important than some stupid rank

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

Sounds good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

lostrib

You seem upset, how low is your school?

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Aljosa23

My school is pretty low on the ground close to sea level.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Aljosa23

No

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

No

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

No

There there, it's okay man *pats on the back*

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]You seem upset, how low is your school?

Aljosa23

No

as in no, i don't give out specific personal information on the internet.  But I got into a number of schools that are more highly ranked on that list than the school i chose to go to.  The ranking doesn't mean anything to me if I don't like the area, the people, the weather, etc.  

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TacticalDesire

lostrib

No doubt, but the why not go to a good school if you can?  I mean the schools in the top 50 are very diverse located across the country, attracting different types of students, and ranging from big Universities to small LACS, so you're bound to find at least one you like.

Obviously, if you're happy that's good, and you probably made the right choice.  No one is saying rankings are the end all be all, but they are a good guideline (especially since Forbes rankings are based on four year graduation rates, professor quality, and salaries after graduation), and let's be honest, we all like some sort of validation in our lives, even if it's petty.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

No

lostrib

as in no, i don't give out specific personal information on the internet.  But I got into a number of schools that are more highly ranked on that list than the school i chose to go to.  The ranking doesn't mean anything to me if I don't like the area, the people, the weather, etc.  

Well, both 1 and 2 on the list have fabulous weather:P.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

TacticalDesire

No doubt, but the why not go to a good school if you can?  I mean the schools in the top 50 are very diverse located across the country, attracting different types of students, and ranging from big Universities to small LACS, so you're bound to find at least one you like.

Obviously, if you're happy that's good, and you probably made the right choice.  No one is saying rankings are the end all be all, but they are a good guideline (especially since Forbes rankings are based on four year graduation rates, professor quality, and salaries after graduation), and let's be honest, we all like some sort of validation in our lives, even if it's petty.

a ranking from a magazine shouldn't be validation.  And does the rankings take into consideration cost (not just tuition), majors offered, strength of different programs, available research, available funding for research, class size, student body diversity, student housing, how many people per dorm, how many years guaranteed housing, crime rate, sports, etc. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

TacticalDesire

I was accepted to two schools in the top 50, 4 in the top 100.  I chose a school just outside the top 100. For reasons probably not even considered by forbes

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I'm trying to get into #23 in a year or so from CC. Surprised by #2 to be honest.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Cali wins again! Take that, rest of the country!
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

No

lostrib

You were doing so well.. Then you gave in..
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

a ranking from a magazine shouldn't be validation.  And does the rankings take into consideration cost (not just tuition), majors offered, strength of different programs, available research, available funding for research, class size, student body diversity, student housing, how many people per dorm, how many years guaranteed housing, crime rate, sports, etc. 

I am pretty sure available research and available funding are definitely considered as well as student to faculty ratio, which would relate to class size.  I doubt things such as student housing, and people per dorm are considered since that doesn't really have a direct impact on how good the school is.

I am pretty sure I already mentioned that rankings are just a guideline lol, but they are a pretty decent one, since data is used and not just subjective opinion.

No one is criticizing you.  It's jut odd that you are so angry and defensive.

Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

I know where I'm not going to college............................

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

TacticalDesire

I am pretty sure available research and available funding are definitely considered as well as student to faculty ratio, which would relate to class size.  I doubt things such as student housing, and people per dorm are considered since that doesn't really have a direct impact on how good the school is.

I am pretty sure I already mentioned that rankings are just a guideline lol, but they are a pretty decent one, since data is used and not just subjective opinion.

not really.  

All I was saying was that a ranking shouldn't define your choice of schools

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

not really.  

All I was saying was that a ranking shouldn't define your choice of schools

That's reasonable, you just came across as pretty angry.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

NYU has a huge population.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

#93. Not too bad.

WiiRocks66

Fellow Penn Stater *hi-five*

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I prefer the US News rankings because it puts my alma mater higher on the list. :P
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

My school is in the top 200. The school down the road from me at home is in the upper part of the top 100 and the school up the road from me from my university is ranked 13. It's kind of obvious that this list caters to big, prestigious business schools with the unignorable science schools popping up in the top picks as well.

What's more important than any of this is choosing your degree. No matter how 'good' the school is considered, if they have a poor department for whatever you're going for then you're wasting your money and time. The rankings for my major at the school I'm going to place it in the top 20-30 which is great.

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

#55, not bad

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
Dear lord, 15% of the score is determined by scores on RateMyProfessor. That's a joke. If a professor expects anything more than a pulse from students, the professor can expect some very poor evaluations.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]There there, it's okay man *pats on the back*

TacticalDesire

Well, both 1 and 2 on the list have fabulous weather:P.

Opinion alert!lol anyways, Stanford has awful weather(in my opinion) I live 20 minutes away, and its sunny everyday. I am a rain/snow/clouds guy.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
In the top 500. Ah yiss.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

Yep. Mine's on the list. It was also on the list of Playboy's Top Party Colleges not so long ago, so I'd take these rankings with a grain of salt.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

My alma mater didn't make it. :(

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I wonder where UBC would be on that list if it was included. 45th in the world according to this, would be something like 20th or so looks like if you just counted the US and it. Not bad.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#37 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

My school's in the 300s. I expected 200s but eh doubt that there's much difference between those.

Ah but in terms of research we're in the 100s. That makes sense, some of the stuff a couple of professors I've had do stuff that seems really cool and useful.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

*Stanford crew checking in*

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

*Stanford crew checking in*

Silverbond
Really? Congrats man!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

I wonder where UBC would be on that list if it was included. 45th in the world according to this, would be something like 20th or so looks like if you just counted the US and it. Not bad.Ace6301
You go to UBC? damn

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

Wasdie

University of Wisconsin?

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

heeweesRus

University of Wisconsin?

I'm pretty sure I saw Wisconsin ranked pretty well, somewhere in the 60s.  So I doubt it's that.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TacticalDesire

Yep. Mine's on the list. It was also on the list of Playboy's Top Party Colleges not so long ago, so I'd take these rankings with a grain of salt.

OrkHammer007

I mean, I think any rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, but a lot of the small Northeastern schools are both huge party/drinking places, and academic powerhouses.  Dartmouth and Williams both immediately come to mind.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

TacticalDesire

I mean, I think any rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, but a lot of the small Northeastern schools are both huge party/drinking places, and academic powerhouses.  Dartmouth and Williams both immediately come to mind.

yeah, UC Santa Barbara is in the top 100 of that least and that is a huge party school in the UC system

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
No University of Phoenix jokes? You let me down OT, I read this thread just for that reason alone.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts
It sucks your entire life is basically determined by how well you do academically in high school. Whoever goes to Yale, Princeton, Harvard or Stanford will end up running and owning the world.
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
It sucks your entire life is basically determined by how well you do academically in high school. Whoever goes to Yale, Princeton, Harvard or Stanford will end up running and owning the world.EagleEyedOne
Drop outs do better. ;)
narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Texas schools do better on the list of beer drinking schools.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Here are the QS rankings for comparison: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

Aljosa23

This is a much better list.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Yeah, those ranking are meh.

I prefer the US News rankingschessmaster1989