First women drop out of Marine officer infantry training

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

"The first two female lieutenants to volunteer for the Marine Corps Infantry Officer Course failed to complete the program, the Marine Corps said Tuesday.

The first woman did not finish the combat endurance test at the beginning for the course in late September. Twenty-six of the 107 male Marines also did not finish the endurance test.

The second woman could not complete two required training events due to medical reasons, said Capt. Eric Flanagan, a Marine spokesman.

She is receiving treatment and is in good condition, Flanagan said, though the Marine Corps is not releasing specifics about her medical condition or any identifying information about either of the women.

The women will now attend their primary military occupational specialty schools, Flanagan said."

StarsAndStripes

Link http://www.stripes.com/news/marine-corps/first-women-drop-out-of-marine-officer-infantry-training-1.193228

While I don't think it's good that they failed, I think it is good that the military is staying realistic. If women are to serve in combat roles, they should be able to keep up with the men. No such thing as female standards in a combat zone.

Thoughts, OT?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
and........... who cares? I actually think its good that they failed, that would hopefully discourage females from joining the army/marines.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 whiskeystrike

and........... who cares? I actually think its good that they failed, that would hopefully discourage females from joining the army/marines.Nengo_Flow

What's wrong with females in the army/marines?

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Not surprised, most men wouldnt cut the mustard for the marines.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
The less people dying for Wall Street's bullsh*t wars the better. Congratulations ladies.
Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]and........... who cares? I actually think its good that they failed, that would hopefully discourage females from joining the army/marines.whiskeystrike

they turn into men
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
and........... who cares? I actually think its good that they failed, that would hopefully discourage females from joining the army/marines.Nengo_Flow
Eh. 25% of the men failed out as well. Plenty of militaries use women in combat roles. The biggest obstacle the women have is everyone but the woman herself.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
I still think having woman in combat roles in our main theater of war (Middle East) is a really bad idea considering how much the Taliban respect women.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
I still think having woman in combat roles in our main theater of war (Middle East) is a really bad idea considering how much the Taliban respect women. Nonstop-Madness
The taliban will kill a woman or man just the same. Beyond myth and legends, they often die from the same injuries. If you mean rape, then perhaps you are unaware that women do understand they can be raped as torture if captured in hostile countries during war. I am pretty sure the women understands that.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

maybe she realized she didnt wanna die for Israels wars

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Is it hard to join the marines? I swear I see some of them around here and it can't be physically taxing job a lot of em are fat.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whiskeystrike

Is it hard to join the marines? I swear I see some of them around here and it can't be physically taxing job a lot of em are fat. Fightingfan

To get in and go through your schools it is. Once you're in and the government has spent so much time and money it's harder to let you go. Having rank and deployments help.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
America needs a bigger military. More people need discipline.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]The less people dying for Wall Street's bullsh*t wars the better. Congratulations ladies.

I would have said "ass funneling politicians" instead of Wall Street, but I'll agree with this...
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Although I'm not in the military, from what I understand, Marine Corp OCS is extremely difficult for women though I could be wrong on that. As for this piece of news, I didn't know they allowed women intro infantry officer training. I thought it was just for enlisted.

Is it hard to join the marines? I swear I see some of them around here and it can't be physically taxing job a lot of em are fat. Fightingfan

To get in the Marine Corp you need a minumum of 2 pull ups, 35 crunches in under 2 minutes, and a 1.5 mile run in under 13 minutes. To become a Marine and stay in the Marine Corp, you need to do more than that. Also, you need to take in consideration of body weight, body fat, and height.

When in boot camp, though, it's really hard to fail boot camp (unless you're in OCS). DIs will help you no matter what and if they fail, you'll be sent to another platoon and your graduation will be pushed back until to a point where they give up on you. Again it's really, really hard to fail boot camp.

Another factor is criminal record and medical issues. As of now, the Marine Corp is selective since there are many applicants who don't have any skeletons in their closets.

That is what I know and again I'm not in the military. As for those fat Marines, I can't say. Perhaps they meet or exceed the PFT or maybe they're not Marines, I dunno man. I know a former Marine who was fat though.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Although I'm not in the military, from what I understand, Marine Corp OCS is extremely difficult for women though I could be wrong on that. As for this piece of news, I didn't know they allowed women intro infantry officer training. I thought it was just for enlisted.

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Is it hard to join the marines? I swear I see some of them around here and it can't be physically taxing job a lot of em are fat. leviathan91

To get in the Marine Corp you need a minumum of 2 pull ups, 35 crunches in under 2 minutes, and a 1.5 mile run in under 13 minutes. To become a Marine and stay in the Marine Corp, you need to do more than that. Also, you need to take in consideration of body weight, body fat, and height.

When in boot camp, though, it's really hard to fail boot camp (unless you're in OCS). DIs will help you no matter what and if they fail, you'll be sent to another platoon and your graduation will be pushed back until to a point where they give up on you. Again it's really, really hard to fail boot camp.

Another factor is criminal record and medical issues. As of now, the Marine Corp is selective since there are many applicants who don't have any skeletons in their closets.

That is what I know and again I'm not in the military. As for those fat Marines, I can't say. Perhaps they meet or exceed the PFT or maybe they're not Marines, I dunno man. I know a former Marine who was fat though.

Hmmm, I could meet those requirements you described above, pretty easily. I have no idea how I'd do with boot camp, and w/e is needed to stay a marine. Not that I have any interest in really becoming one, I wouldn't mind going through the training though.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 leviathan91

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Is it hard to join the marines? I swear I see some of them around here and it can't be physically taxing job a lot of em are fat. TacticalDesire

Hmmm, I could meet those requirements you described above, pretty easily. I have no idea how I'd do with boot camp, and w/e is needed to stay a marine. Not that I have any interest in really becoming one, I wouldn't mind going through the training though.

From what a former Marine told me (and from what I read) it's all mental. DIs are aggressive and will try to get in your head. There are rules and regulations in place to protect a recruit from abuse and the DIs have to follow those rules; however, each branch have their standards on aggressiveness. The DIs will single you out if you do something wrong, scream at you, and they will try to get into your head. You just need to be mentally strong and capable.

As for the physical aspect, meeting the minimum requirements will get you into the Corp but the Corp wants excellence so it's best to do better and meet the maximum. Boot camp isn't all physical though. They'll teach you how to properly care for your uniform, teach you history of the corp, teach you how to fire your rifle, etc, etc. But it does help while in boot camp to do better than the minimum.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

Lovely.

Fortunately, since I'm progressive and liberal, I'm all for this.OK, not really.

Woman was created as a gift to man, to complete him, and man was supposed to protect her. He failed, and thus sin entered the world.

She's meant to be protected and cherished like the treasure she is; she's worth protecting. Not sent out into danger like this. That's why I stand firmly against women in the military, and other life-endangering jobs.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 whiskeystrike

Lovely.

Fortunately, since I'm progressive and liberal, I'm all for this.OK, not really.

Woman was created as a gift to man, to complete him, and man was supposed to protect her. He failed, and thus sin entered the world.

She's meant to be protected and cherished like the treasure she is; she's worth protecting. Not sent out into danger like this. That's why I stand firmly against women in the military, and other life-endangering jobs.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

Crushmaster

If women are able to keep up with the men, meet the standards and wish to serve their country who has a right to tell them they can't.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Is it hard to join the marines? I swear I see some of them around here and it can't be physically taxing job a lot of em are fat. TacticalDesire

Those standards mentioned are just the bare mininum to get into boot camp. To stay in, it's a bit harder but still not too hard. If you want to get promoted though, your PT should be much higher. While it isn't everything, a high PT score is the first step towards success and the pride of any good soldier/Marine.

Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

The less people dying for Wall Street's bullsh*t wars the better. Congratulations ladies.MrPraline
Wow someone who gets it im glad at least a few people here get it.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

Not surprised, even men at peak athleticism struggle with marine training.

Not surprised a woman would more so.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TopTierHustler

Lovely.

God bless,
Crushmaster.

Crushmaster

Jesus told me you're a douchebag.

God bless.

-Hustler

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Not really, no.

Its fairly easy to be a Marine. You have to be able to tolerate screaming and perform basic physical activities. Nothing about the PFT or CFT or any other requirement is very taxing.

As much as the Corps likes to advertise "Every Marine a rifleman", after initial training most Marines don't go near a weapon save maybe once or twice a year, and physical training is simple, with activities like basketball or running.

I've met SNCOs who haven't even touched a weapon since they first joined, and it isn't much better physically either.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

America needs a bigger military. More people need discipline.BranKetra

Have you enlisted?

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
kitchen duties are still open ladies, have at it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]and........... who cares? I actually think its good that they failed, that would hopefully discourage females from joining the army/marines.whiskeystrike

Nothing, as long as they serve in the mess hall.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#28 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Male marines will be too busy dry humping them to dodge bullets and flying IEDs.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

Lovely.

God bless,
Crushmaster.

Crushmaster

Where do we go to return Seraphy?

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

One step further away from sexism is a good thing. We're not living in the past any more like some people still think.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts

Lovely.

God bless,
Crushmaster.

Crushmaster
Jesus, talk about putting the pvssy on a pedestal.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

At least she tried. Good for her.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

Lovely.

God bless,
Crushmaster.

TopTierHustler

God bless.

-Hustler

What's so bad about what he said? I more or less agree, minus any religious connotations.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

Lovely.

God bless,
Crushmaster.

PernicioEnigma

God bless.

-Hustler

What's so bad about what he said? I more or less agree, minus any religious connotations.

Because it's backwards thinking. How would you like the 1930's sensibilities towards women where they are perceived as just lesser people and just work in the kitchen and push out babies? It's a thing called equality and balance.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Not surprised. Intellectually, we can argue that women can do everything men can, but we can't say the same in terms of physiology. Though it is a good thing that the marine corps do offer the chance. If you want to, compete and if you survived, welcome aboard.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Very taxing, more than most other sections of the military. Then yo have the seals who are even more brutally trained

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]America needs a bigger military. More people need discipline.worlock77

Have you enlisted?

No. Have you?
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]America needs a bigger military. More people need discipline.BranKetra

Have you enlisted?

No. Have you?

He is not the one making the point.
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]and........... who cares? I actually think its good that they failed, that would hopefully discourage females from joining the army/marines.

Failing the marines and failing the military are different things. I say recruit as many of them as possible, slap a gun in their hand, aim them toward the enemies, & have them fight til the enemy gets them. That ensures me & my kids staying out of the military (Unless they so choose for some reason). Volunteer service ftw.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Have you enlisted?

GazaAli
No. Have you?

He is not the one making the point.

Fair enough.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

Doesn't sound like the lowered the standards for women, which is a good thing.

Keep trying women. The more volunteers for the military, the better.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]America needs a bigger military. More people need discipline.BranKetra

Have you enlisted?

No. Have you?

No, but I'm not the one saying that American needs more military and people need more discipline.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Have you enlisted?

worlock77

No. Have you?

No, but I'm not the one saying that American needs more military and people need more discipline.

While that is true, military training is known to teach discipline. I am not talking about a bigger military for combat purposes.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

As long as they don't reduce the standards for women. That's just dangerous.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
America needs a bigger military. More people need discipline.BranKetra
lol
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[quote="StarsAndStripes"]

"The first two female lieutenants to volunteer for the Marine Corps Infantry Officer Course failed to complete the program, the Marine Corps said Tuesday.

The first woman did not finish the combat endurance test at the beginning for the course in late September. Twenty-six of the 107 male Marines also did not finish the endurance test.

The second woman could not complete two required training events due to medical reasons, said Capt. Eric Flanagan, a Marine spokesman.

She is receiving treatment and is in good condition, Flanagan said, though the Marine Corps is not releasing specifics about her medical condition or any identifying information about either of the women.

The women will now attend their primary military occupational specialty schools, Flanagan said."

whiskeystrike

Link http://www.stripes.com/news/marine-corps/first-women-drop-out-of-marine-officer-infantry-training-1.193228

While I don't think it's good that they failed, I think it is good that the military is staying realistic. If women are to serve in combat roles, they should be able to keep up with the men. No such thing as female standards in a combat zone.

Thoughts, OT?

i agree, they should not lower the standars or go any easier on them because they are females, there is already a lot of double standars for "equal female rights"

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TopTierHustler

[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"]

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]Jesus told me you're a douchebag.

God bless.

-Hustler

shadowkiller11

Because it's backwards thinking. How would you like the 1930's sensibilities towards women where they are perceived as just lesser people and just work in the kitchen and push out babies? It's a thing called equality and balance.

I think they should be given a shot, obviously there is going to be a higher fail rate than with men, but just like with firefighters and police, if they can pass the physical test, then they should be fine.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 leviathan91

[QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Is it hard to join the marines? I swear I see some of them around here and it can't be physically taxing job a lot of em are fat. thegerg

Not really, no.

Its fairly easy to be a Marine. You have to be able to tolerate screaming and perform basic physical activities. Nothing about the PFT or CFT or any other requirement is very taxing.

As much as the Corps likes to advertise "Every Marine a rifleman", after initial training most Marines don't go near a weapon save maybe once or twice a year, and physical training is simple, with activities like basketball or running.

I've met SNCOs who haven't even touched a weapon since they first joined, and it isn't much better physically either.

You seem to be very confused. It is quite difficult to join the US military today.

Unless you are physically, morally, and mentally fit then there shouldn't be a problem. Recruiters are still recruiting but they're more selective. Any blemish on your record or any major medical issue will disqualify you and since the military is full up, recruiters don't have to worry so much getting you in (unless they're desperate or crazy) since there are so many potential recruits due to a crappy economy and since it's peacetime. Now if we were at war and the economy is doing well, that's a different story. In fact, that's why you hear stories of people joining the military with felonies.