Fat Students to not be allowed to graduate.

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

A Pennsylvania university's requirement that overweight undergraduates take a fitness course to receive their degrees has raised the hackles of students and the eyebrows of health and legal experts.

Officials at historically black Lincoln University said Friday that the school is simply concerned about high rates of obesity and diabetes, especially in the African-American community.

"We know we're in the midst of an obesity epidemic," said James L. DeBoy, chairman of Lincoln's department of health, physical education and recreation. "We have an obligation to address this head on, knowing full well there's going to be some fallout."

The fallout began this week on Lincoln's campus about 45 miles southwest of Philadelphia, where seniors — the first ****affected by the mandate — began realizing their last chance to take the ****would be this spring.

Tiana Lawson, a 21-year-old senior, wrote in this week's edition of The Lincolnian, the student newspaper, that she "didn't come to Lincoln to be told that my weight is not in an acceptable range. I came here to get an education."

In an interview Friday, Lawson said she has no problem with getting healthy or losing weight. But she does have a problem with larger students being singled out.

"If Lincoln truly is concerned about everyone being healthy, then everyone should have to take this gym **** not just people who happen to be bigger," she said.

The mandate, which took effect for freshmen entering in fall 2006, requires students to get tested for their body mass index, a measure of weight to height.

A normal BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. Students with one that's 30 or above — considered obese — are required to take a ****called "Fitness for Life," which meets three hours a week.

The course involves walking, aerobics, weight training and other physical activities, as well as information on nutrition, stress and sleep, DeBoy said.

As of this fall, DeBoy estimated about 80 seniors — 16 percent of the ****— had not had their body mass index tested nor taken the fitness **** Some of those students will likely be exempt from taking the ****once they get their BMI results, he said.

Health experts applaud the school's intent, if not its execution. Mark Rothstein, director of the bioethics institute at the University of Louisville's School of Medicine, said being forced to disclose such health information is "at least awkward and often distasteful."

And it doesn't necessarily lead to the best outcomes, he said, noting that "when the (health) goals are imposed on people, they don't do that well in meeting them."

DeBoy stressed that students are not required to lose weight or lower their BMI; they must only pass the ****through attendance and participation.

"It's the sound mind and the sound body concept," DeBoy said. "I think the university, to its credit, is trying to be proactive."

Some experts said recent amendments to the Americans with Disabilities Act might lead to exemptions for morbidly obese students, who could argue that participating in the ****would be dangerous.

Also, students need more than exercise, said Marcia Costello, a registered dietitian in the Philadelphia area. The university should make sure its dining halls and vending machines offer healthy choices, she said.

Costello, an assistant professor of nursing at Villanova University, also noted that body mass index can be misleading. Since muscle weighs more than fat, "it is possible to be overweight and still be physically fit," she said.

Lawson, a mass communications major, said while she believes her current BMI would exempt her from the **** she's going to take it anyway "because I would like to be healthier."

"This was a decision that I made," she wrote in The Lincolnian, "and that's the way it ought to be."

Source.

Fat police is watching.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts
So weight is next to GPA ... hmmm
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
must be a high GPA..
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
not a bad idea, really.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
many schools require a fitness class for everyone. maybe they're just rewarding students who are in good shape?
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

I think fat students should not be allowed to sit on the ends of rows in lecture halls. Well, at least not in the row that I'm sitting in. Seriously, I can't leave the room to go to the bathroom if there's a wall of a person in my way.

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
I have no patience with fat people
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, that's a bit harsh...

Allowing students not to graduate certainly isn't going to help their weight problem.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
My college required 2 hours of Phsyical education credits to graduate...2 cla$$es...but for everyone -I took weighlifting and running. things I do anyways
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tjeremiah1988
could this be the same as a student who must pass a foreign language class like Spanish?
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loco145

many schools require a fitness class for everyone. maybe they're just rewarding students who are in good shape?starwarsjunky
BMI under 30 doesn't equate to being in good shape.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loco145

could this be the same as a student who must pass a foreign language class like Spanish?Tjeremiah1988
No, it isn't the same.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tjeremiah1988

[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"]could this be the same as a student who must pass a foreign language class like Spanish?loco145

No, it isn't the same.

:? Ok.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

American football should be banned.loco145

What? :?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rawsavon

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]many schools require a fitness class for everyone. maybe they're just rewarding students who are in good shape?loco145

BMI is extremely flawed. -I am overweight according to the BMI, even though I have very little body fat and eat les than 30 grams of fat per day -it does not take into account muscle mass
CyleM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 CyleM
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]My college required 2 hours of Phsyical education credits to graduate...2 cla$$es...but for everyone -I took weighlifting and running. things I do anyways

that is crazy I never even knew colleges still made people do that to graduate... OSU didn't make us, but I did love the new gym they built up there while I was still in school
lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

i really like this decision. people should at least try to get into shape.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJ-Lafleur

Well, if they want physical education to be a required class, that is completely understandable, though I don't think they should have this rule apply to the seniors of that university.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]many schools require a fitness class for everyone. maybe they're just rewarding students who are in good shape?loco145

"better" shape. that better?
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Costello, an assistant professor of nursing at Villanova University, also noted that body mass index can be misleading. Since muscle weighs more than fat, "it is possible to be overweight and still be physically fit," she said.

Seriously, I'm ripped as heck but WiiFit still calls be obese!

Anyways, this is terrible that their are people like this out their that hate fat people.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]My college required 2 hours of Phsyical education credits to graduate...2 cla$$es...but for everyone -I took weighlifting and running. things I do anywaysCyleM
that is crazy I never even knew colleges still made people do that to graduate... OSU didn't make us, but I did love the new gym they built up there while I was still in school

I never knew other schools did not...hmm...just assumed everyone had to -oh well, cla$$es were only 1 hour as far as cost, met twice a week -so I got credit and an easy 'A' for doing what I do anyways
TheHimura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheHimura
Member since 2005 • 9297 Posts
their GPA must be really weighted. *rimshot*
mikegtfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mikegtfc
Member since 2005 • 604 Posts
I don't see how taking a course can possibly correlate with being in good shape, unless ofcourse it's a fitness type course IE - Physio Therapist.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

[QUOTE="loco145"]American football should be banned.Guppy507

What? :?

:lol:

I was wondering when someone would comment on that.

It's like he posted it after the fact, trying to slip it by us.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 loco145

[QUOTE="loco145"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]many schools require a fitness class for everyone. maybe they're just rewarding students who are in good shape?starwarsjunky

No, I remember when i was a junior in my University, with a BMI of 31, this slender good looking girl asked me directions to reach a certain faculty. I told her that her best bet was to walk to there and offered to lead the way ;) . Half the way there she was grasping for air and asking if there was transport. I jogged 10km a day at the time and that uphill 1km path was a small part of my daily routine. Under this rule she would get a pass while I would have been forced to waste my time in a crappy curse for being unfit, probably at the expense of my own routine (time is limited).

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
wait "DeBoy stressed that students are not required to lose weight or lower their BMI; they must only pass the c1ass through attendance and participation." so they basically have to take a gym class? oh the hardship.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="loco145"]BMI under 30 doesn't equate to being in good shape.

loco145

No, I remember when i was a junior in my University, with a BMI of 31, this slender good looking girl asked me directions to reach a certain faculty. I told her that her best bet was to walk to there and offered to lead the way ;) . Half the way there she was grasping for air and asking if there was transport. I jogged 10km a day at the time and that uphill 1km path was a small part of my daily routine. Under this rule she would get a pass while I would have been forced to waste my time in a crappy curse for being unfit, probably at the expense of my own routine (time is limited).

it may not be the best way, but its still something.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 loco145

wait "DeBoy stressed that students are not required to lose weight or lower their BMI; they must only pass the c1ass through attendance and participation." so they basically have to take a gym class? oh the hardship.Ontain
3 times a week for 6 months. A **** waste of time if you ask me.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

If I read that right all they have to do is exercise for 3h every week. That's not really a bad thing.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJ-Lafleur

Meh, now that I think about it, what they are doing is pretty fine. 3 hours of exercise a week actually doesn't sound bad at all.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
So people who are born with genetics that make them naturally thin get the better end of the stick? :/ I'm glad I don't live in the US.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 loco145

So people who are born with genetics that make them naturally thin get the better end of the stick? :/ I'm glad I don't live in the US.XilePrincess
Smoking really helps to lose weight. They should start to do that. Also, diabetes and intestinal parasites are a good bet.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

So people who are born with genetics that make them naturally thin get the better end of the stick? :/ I'm glad I don't live in the US.XilePrincess

If you ask me it's the people that exercises for 3h a week that gets the better end of the stick.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#35 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Seems a little stupid to me.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 starwarsjunky
its not *too* much different from airlines that charge overweight people for a second seat
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
I am skinny and that sounds kinda stupid. I know they want people to get in shape and all but come on.
nick339

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nick339
Member since 2005 • 1256 Posts

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]So people who are born with genetics that make them naturally thin get the better end of the stick? :/ I'm glad I don't live in the US.JLF1

If you ask me it's the people that exercises for 3h a week that gets the better end of the stick.

It's not hard to get 3 hours of exercise a week on your own. I would hate to almost graduate and find out I have to take another course because according to a flawed system I'm overweight (my BMI is less than 30, but I'm talking hypothetically here).
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ontain

[QUOTE="Ontain"]wait "DeBoy stressed that students are not required to lose weight or lower their BMI; they must only pass the c1ass through attendance and participation." so they basically have to take a gym class? oh the hardship.loco145

yeah a c1ass. whoopdeedoo. a lot of ppl in my university took gym classes for fun. it's a nice way to schedule some exercise for yourself.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ontain
[QUOTE="JLF1"]

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]So people who are born with genetics that make them naturally thin get the better end of the stick? :/ I'm glad I don't live in the US.nick339

It's not hard to get 3 hours of exercise a week on your own. I would hate to almost graduate and find out I have to take another course because according to a flawed system I'm overweight (my BMI is less than 30, but I'm talking hypothetically here).

good thing the requirement doesn't have to do with BMI. "DeBoy stressed that students are not required to lose weight or lower their BMI; they must only pass the c1ass through attendance and participation." also how could this be a requirement they didn't know about till almost graduation? I seriously doubt that it was somehow hidden.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
That school is FULL OF FAIL.. They are using a system that was developed in the mid 1800s.. Meaning that a body builder under that system would fail due to being seen as obese... They are idiots, "trying to get a head start".. Yeah by using a outdated and broken system.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loco145

[QUOTE="loco145"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]wait "DeBoy stressed that students are not required to lose weight or lower their BMI; they must only pass the c1ass through attendance and participation." so they basically have to take a gym class? oh the hardship.Ontain

yeah a c1ass. whoopdeedoo. a lot of ppl in my university took gym classes for fun. it's a nice way to schedule some exercise for yourself.

But forced? Specially based on some BS criteria? At least when i did my (forced) military service they actually had me jogging and doing push ups to see if i was actually fit. I would have been pissed as hell if they did that to me. My jogging time was not only my exercise time, but my relaxation and deep thinking one.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read. :|

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

American football should be banned.loco145
Why? Majority of the athletes that play football aren't fat. I know this a common misconception because everyone just focus on the big guys.. but most of them are just well built athletes with more than average muscle mass.

I support this university 100%.. we need more action like this against fat people. There is really no execuse to be fat.

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

I have no patience with fat peoplePenguinchow

I have no patience with ignorant people.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

[QUOTE="Penguinchow"]I have no patience with fat peoplesensfanVone

Well, to be honest, you're the person that's ignorant. The only reason peope get so large in modern society is by the abundance of food made available to us. There is really very little logical reason to consume so much and become so big. These people clearly must be held responsible for anything to change.
sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

[QUOTE="sensfanVone"]

[QUOTE="Penguinchow"]I have no patience with fat peopleEMOEVOLUTION

Well, to be honest, you're the person that's ignorant. The only reason peope get so large in modern society is by the abundance of food made available to us. There is really very little logical reason to consume so much and become so big. These people clearly must be held responsible for anything to change.

Look Mr. ignorant has a friend welcome to the ignorant club.

Human beings are human beings you have no right to judge anyone on the decisions they make, who gives a damn if someone is fat they aren't hurting you, I have no patience with emo people, they really should all be held responsible for pretending to have it tough when they don't.

I have no patience for anorexic people, they should be held responsible for the decision not to eat they have no reason to never eat.

By your logic It's ok for me to think these things? See ya I'm not responding.

GavinIrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GavinIrl
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
lol funny. I eat alot but still never put a fat belly on. Do that much sport.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

University fail :|

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 loco145

I have not patience for unwanted pregnant women and aids patients. They are not forced to have sex.