Facebook Figures Fall In UK And US

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

For a couple of years now it seems as if Facebook was going to continue its unparalleled success unchecked but figures have now shown that in a couple of major developed countries, it's losing millions of users every month.

Facebook has almost 700 million active users worldwide and continues to grow its numbers each month. However a closer analysis of the figures show that in the UK, US and Canada at least, millions of people are leaving the social network. The first fall in active users in the US occurred in May with almost six million less people using Facebook at the end of the month compared with the start of the month. While losses in the UK and Canada are less – around 1.5 million and 100,000 respectively – it will be the trend of losing customers that will worry the executives at Facebook. In total, by the end of May, there were 687 million active users around the globe with six countries growing their numbers by over one million in May alone.TrustedReviews

The above is only an excerpt. You can read the full article here.

I know for a fact that not many here in OT are fans of Facebook so I can safely assume that this will be seen as good news, right?

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Not surprised, didn't expect its popularity to last forever... I've got a FB, only ever used it to play games, so I really don't care. I'm sure people will find something else if they haven't already.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
This is just the beginning. Facebook will fade into obscurity just as every social network before it has done. Should be interesting to see what the next fad is.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hexagon_777

While Facebook growth is declining in some developed countries, you guys have to remember that there are many more developing countries that are currently experiencing or have yet to experience Facebook.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I don't think it's much to worry about right now. Facebook will last much longer than MySpace.
Vampireofficer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vampireofficer
Member since 2011 • 77 Posts
I think it'll last. It's better than Twitter.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I hope it will last.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I read that article. You see in the news people getting in trouble at work all the time because of Facebook. Between that and privacy concerns, I can see people cancelling their accounts. I amost got rid of mine a few years ago, after I started getting swamped by spam.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777

I hope it will last.Lonelynight
Why do you hope for such a thing?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

People are starting to figure out that having themselves always at everyone's fingertips isn't as great as it sounds. I'd cancel my account if I had the will to actually go through the process.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lonelynight
Why do you hope for such a thing?Hexagon_777
Because I don't feel like migrating to another social site when the groups I'm following stop updating their facebook pages.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Why do you hope for such a thing?Lonelynight
Because I don't feel like migrating to another social site when the groups I'm following stop updating their facebook pages.

You really need to be on one in the first place that badly?

ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

People are starting to figure out that having themselves always at everyone's fingertips isn't as great as it sounds. I'd cancel my account if I had the will to actually go through the process.

Pirate700

The easy thing about that though, is to NOT post anything you wouldn't like to see resurface. If having it in print can get you in trouble don't put it online...

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lonelynight
You really need to be on one in the first place that badly?Pirate700
I use it to follow a lot of site's news(cracked, allkpop) and fan page of celebrities or musicians.
1nf4m0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 1nf4m0us
Member since 2009 • 124 Posts

I find Facebook to be a good medium with which to keep in touch with family and friends when i cant be near them. Its great for organising things, and is a good way to receive news and information. For me, it is cheaper than texting or calling via mobile (I get a data allowance on my phone while my plan remains cheap, and overall costs less than someone on Pre Paid would spend), and is a good way to talk with many friends at once (i cant exactly have 6 different phones going at once but on FB i can communicate with many people at the one time).

I have friends that live outside the country, and Facebook is a LOT cheaper than calling them, plus a lot easier as i can see when they are available to talk.

Plus, then there are pages of things like Sports Teams, which give daily updates on the site, and make the delivery of news andcontent based media more accessable.

No, i like Facebook, it gives me the ability to do many things that would otherwise take a great deal more effort (or money)otherwise.

So i hope it sticks around.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

And nothing of value was lost.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

I find Facebook to be a good medium with which to keep in touch with family and friends when i cant be near them. Its great for organising things, and is a good way to receive news and information. For me, it is cheaper than texting or calling via mobile (I get a data allowance on my phone while my plan remains cheap, and overall costs less than someone on Pre Paid would spend), and is a good way to talk with many friends at once (i cant exactly have 6 different phones going at once but on FB i can communicate with many people at the one time).

I have friends that live outside the country, and Facebook is a LOT cheaper than calling them, plus a lot easier as i can see when they are available to talk.

Plus, then there are pages of things like Sports Teams, which give daily updates on the site, and make the delivery of news andcontent based media more accessable.

No, i like Facebook, it gives me the ability to do many things that would otherwise take a great deal more effort (or money)otherwise.

1nf4m0us

Agreed. I don't see why people bash it. It's a great tool to keep connected with people.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
FB is forever adding and improving their features. That is something I dont remember MySpace doing. So they keep the fans happy. Also, I dont think you can deleted your stuff (if you can, please tell me how). If not, even if you stop using it, FB will probably still label you as active.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]I hope it will last.Hexagon_777

Being on a different continent from many of my friends and family I find facebook a great way to stay in touch, is that so wrong?

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts
And I was one of those people that left Facebook in May. I doubt I'll return.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I never understood why FB were so popular in the first place?... Im on it cuz my few friends and family on it, I personally prefer to be meet friends met online better way to make new friends. other than that nothing much to do there, but couple of games I liked and only play once in a great while.
SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SilverSignal
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
I left Facebook last month. I had plenty of people on my friends list but only one of them actually talked to me. She left, so I decided to as well. I don't really have any proper friends left so don't miss it all. Peoples true colours came out on the site though.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]I hope it will last.blue_hazy_basic

Being on a different continent from many of my friends and family I find facebook a great way to stay in touch, is that so wrong?

Reading my question again, I suppose it does sound bitter by the standards of today. :(

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Those numbers are meaningless in my opinion. There's no way to correlate whether the drop in users is the result of declining interest or things beyond the user's control. With 678 million users, those numbers are probably normal fluctuations.
AugustusGraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AugustusGraham
Member since 2011 • 343 Posts

This is just the beginning. Facebook will fade into obscurity just as every social network before it has done. Should be interesting to see what the next fad is. PernicioEnigma
Twitter.

p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Why do you hope for such a thing?Pirate700

You really need to be on one in the first place that badly?

Having a facebook is pretty essential to having a social life, at least with my friends. Maybe I just have shallow friends. Maybe I'm just shallow. But people used to call to hang out, then text, nowadays it's facebook with my friends. I got rid of my facebook once, and didn't use it for half a year, for the same reasons everyone else doesn't like it and gets rid of their facebook, and I ended up not getting invited to tons of stuff so I went back on.

People will always use the latest communicating "thing" so I will too, because I like hanging out with people.

And I don't mean that facebook IS that social life, it's just the main way you get connected to the real one in my experience.

p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 p00zer

If my friends leave facebook though, or move on to a new site, I'm sure I will too. I don't have any reason to be on the site other than for them of course. Is that unhealthy?

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
As long as it doesn't go the way of MySpace any time soon. . .
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

It's only a matter of time before a new social site is launched that's better than FB.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777

It's only a matter of time before a new social site is launched that's better than FB.

Blue-Sky

The mighty Google tried and failed. Microsoft has tried as well. Twitter isn't coming close to Facebook anytime soon. It seems unlikely that a new social site will pop up out of the blue and be superior to what the current, established companies have attempted.

p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 p00zer

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Hexagon_777

The mighty Google tried and failed. Microsoft has tried as well. Twitter isn't coming close to Facebook anytime soon. It seems unlikely that a new social site will pop up out of the blue and be superior to what the current, established companies have attempted.

In all fairness Google did a pretty pathetic job. Maps and gmail and everything else they've ever touched has been amazing, but Buzz is rather uninspired.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

[QUOTE="1nf4m0us"]

SpartanMSU

Agreed. I don't see why people bash it. It's a great tool to keep connected with people.

Mostly because they don't have friends or never organized and event. FB is very, very useful for that.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Hexagon_777

Yeah, I think that we will be with Facebook for another couple of years especially if they keep on updating their site.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

p00zer

In all fairness Google did a pretty pathetic job. Maps and gmail and everything else they've ever touched has been amazing, but Buzz is rather uninspired.

Didn't they also have Orkut? :P

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
Its nice to keep up with people but other then that its useless.
Kimimaro_DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kimimaro_DS
Member since 2011 • 129 Posts

Pirate700
Just having a cell phone puts you at everyone's finger tips. I mean, Facebook DOES have a log out button.
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts
I like Facebook, but I don't care if a new site comes and takes over. Social networking won't die.
Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
I'll be one of them, I have no reason to have a Facebook other than send messages and pictures that no one even cares about.
emb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 emb4
Member since 2010 • 441 Posts
i use twitter more, twitter is probably going to replace it
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 judog1
i use twitter more, twitter is probably going to replace itemb4
Twitter may be able to beat Facebook in terms of activity, but I think that many people will feel restricted with just 140 characters.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Its nice to keep up with people but other then that its useless.n00bkid
Why would you use Facebook for anything OTHER than keeping up with people?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
If everyone stops using it i'll be a very, very sad man. I use it to see photos of family events i couldn't make, cousins birthdays, aunts marriages. Same for friends parties or when they travel around the globe you get to see day by day updates. Good for finding out who's single and who's not, who just got engaged, who just got divorced. Good way to talk to friends who can't answer a call at the moment. Fantastic way to organize an event, me and friends are planning a summer camping trip using it right now.
SuperWowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SuperWowie
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Facebook said that the data might not actually be correct, so who knows if they are actually losing people or not. I'm sure the flow of new users will subside at some point.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="n00bkid"]Its nice to keep up with people but other then that its useless.MushroomWig
Why would you use Facebook for anything OTHER than keeping up with people?

lmao word. i love my car but other than driving it its useless
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Yeah, deleting your facebook is kind of weird too. When you click to do that Facbook tries to mind**** you and shows friends of yours with pictures and says "John will miss you!" "Karie will miss you!"

After I deleted it I got an email a week later saying my Facebook was reinstated :roll: I hope this site dies out. I don't get why people like to look at all of the pointless, self-indulgent statuses.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Most people i know dropped facebook when they decided to play games with your privacy, which is a shame.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts
I'm not that surprised by it. Heck I would close my account there if it wasn't for all the info about upcoming stuff my friends posts there
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

Yeah, deleting your facebook is kind of weird too. When you click to do that Facbook tries to mind**** you and shows friends of yours with pictures and says "John will miss you!" "Karie will miss you!"

After I deleted it I got an email a week later saying my Facebook was reinstated :roll: I hope this site dies out. I don't get why people like to look at all of the pointless, self-indulgent statuses.

Optical_Order
You can't delete your profile there, only deactivate it.
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I think it'll last. It's better than Twitter.Vampireofficer
I joined twitter the other day and really dont see the big thing about it.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 judog1
[QUOTE="Vampireofficer"]I think it'll last. It's better than Twitter.Big_Bad_Sad
I joined twitter the other day and really dont see the big thing about it.

I'm not sure about it either, but I am having a better time on it than on Facebook because it is ok to be active.