Ever think it is the users and not the mods making GS go downhill?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178880 Posts
Of course it's the users, and I find it silly that a lot of people get angry when they get modded, even when they deserved it. That's like being angry at a cop when he arrests you after you rob a store. Now, I'm not saying that the mods can't slip up, but really, without them, this place would be a whole lot worse. LZ71
I've noticed those that get angriest tend to have the most moderations.....interesting correlation.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

[QUOTE="LZ71"]Of course it's the users, and I find it silly that a lot of people get angry when they get modded, even when they deserved it. That's like being angry at a cop when he arrests you after you rob a store. Now, I'm not saying that the mods can't slip up, but really, without them, this place would be a whole lot worse. LJS9502_basic
I've noticed those that get angriest tend to have the most moderations.....interesting correlation.

I've noticed that as well, and well, I guess they just can't take responsibility for their actions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="LZ71"]Of course it's the users, and I find it silly that a lot of people get angry when they get modded, even when they deserved it. That's like being angry at a cop when he arrests you after you rob a store. Now, I'm not saying that the mods can't slip up, but really, without them, this place would be a whole lot worse. LZ71

I've noticed that as well, and well, I guess they just can't take responsibility for their actions.

Indeed. So a banned thread is more about their anger than the actual user getting banned.
Cookigaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Cookigaki
Member since 2009 • 690 Posts
It's the mods fault. Mods are role models but some of them don't act like it. If Cookigaki was to be a mod, Cookigaki would be a positive role model for community.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="LZ71"]

I've noticed those that get angriest tend to have the most moderations.....interesting correlation.LJS9502_basic

Indeed. So a banned thread is more about their anger than the actual user getting banned.

Which is what seemed to happen yesterday. One of the banned threads in particular just seemed like anger being thrown at the mods, for no good reason.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="LZ71"] I've noticed that as well, and well, I guess they just can't take responsibility for their actions.

LZ71

Which is what seemed to happen yesterday. One of the banned threads in particular just seemed like anger being thrown at the mods, for no good reason.

The one with all the fighting? Yes I noticed that....

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

Well, Mods are former users like the rest of us, and theres some users that are former Mods... sooooooo.......both??

KcurtorMas

actually i heard they brain wash you before you get moded

and the moded that become former mods are the one who now know the truth

KHfanboy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 KHfanboy2
Member since 2007 • 42258 Posts

It's the mole people I tells ya! They're hijaking our forums and banning all our users! It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! CONSPIRACY!! :shock:

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#59 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

It's a bit ofboth - we get new morons flooding the forums and making crap topics, and the mods also ban our most interesting and experienced users for ridiculous reasons.

I thought the mods were meant to make this forum a better place, but by banning popular users for one or two minor offences, are you really improving it?

Thr22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 Thr22
Member since 2002 • 18039 Posts

It's a bit ofboth - we get new morons flooding the forums and making crap topics, and the mods also ban our most interesting and experienced users for ridiculous reasons.

I thought the mods were meant to make this forum a better place, but by banning popular users for one or two minor offences, are you really improving it?

bangell99
Being popular does not necessarily make one a good poster. As shown time and time again, mods might not be the most popular of forumites but they are the ones that put the most into their posts and into the community as a whole.
Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61 Buck_Hotep
Member since 2003 • 10589 Posts

bangell99

But does being popular exempt a user from being banned if that user does something or a series of somethings that should get them banned? That's going to open up a whole different can of worms where now you have users going all-out trying to become popular and instead making even more of an ass of themselves thus more banning.

If you're popular but been modded many times then that means you should be banned. It sounds like someone who likes the attention they get themselves complaining about the mods. Now if one was popular but rarely gets modded but suddenly gets banned then that's where people should have some concerns. Even then we'd be taking that person's word that they rarely get modded since mods don't publish for everyone to see who they mod.

In the end, if you people don't like how the mods do things then leave and go somewhere else where you think you can get away with whatever you say without consequence. Really, I worry how these people will deal with the real world when the time comes for them to join it. You think these mods are tough just see how those in charge of the world outside of your room really are.

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
What would be the motivation of the mods for banning people without reason??
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#64 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts

actually i heard they brain wash you before you get moded

and the moded that become former mods are the one who now know the truth

fize4ever

By that logic, I know the truth. :P

There isn't any one thing you can blame for perceived "downhill" movement. You can't necessarily blame the mods, new or old for how they enforce the Terms of Use. The truth is that the mod team does really aim for uniformity over time when it comes to handling moderations - the more senior members of the mod team essentially pass on protocol to the newer ones. Believe me I know. And then you have to consider the fact that those same senior members tend to be the ones with the banhammer.

I know you can still argue the other way, saying that they have become more strict over time. Even if that's true, they're all human...

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

well obviously when users are not creative with their threads then the forum is going to go downhill but..............*remembers Dr. Sponge and imagines his own musical montage* sometimes mods ban creative users who have a0good sense of humor and its hard not to go pointing fingers of accusation at them.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Oh no it is all the mods! ;)duxup
No. Just a few of them. And the users are at fault aswell. It's not like this site would be any more entertaining if moderations for frivelous things didn't occur; a lot of the topics here are quite boring.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

No I disagree with the OP.

After my last moderation I now know what users are talking about when they talk about absurd moderations.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

I think it must be the fault of the users in most cases, the mods all seem to be very fair so long as you just post sensibly or whatever, I mean I've been here over a year and have yet to be modded. It's not hard.

Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

yes.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#70 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
[QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

Oh god, it's all my faaaauuuuuult :cry: !

I'm sorry Dr.Sponge, et al.

We can share the blame. See everyone? I'm a caring kind of guy.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I think it must be the fault of the users in most cases, the mods all seem to be very fair so long as you just post sensibly or whatever, I mean I've been here over a year and have yet to be modded. It's not hard.

MissLibrarian

I'm really disliking the sentiment that if there's a moderation then the user MUST have done something wrong, that's like being guilty until proven innocent. Well he was reprimanded for a crime, so he must have commited the crime, right? Wrong. Believe me, I have a decent number of moderations and I don't begrudge the mods for all of them, but there are certainly times when I get a moderation notice and I literally facepalm when I read it. I've seen some where it seems like the reason for moderation is really stretching it. Whether that's due to a mod in a bad mood or just trying to appease whomever reported it I don't know, but I do think it brings the atmosphere of the forum down when people are getting moderated for some really questionable things. Everyone's always in favor of the mods' discretion when they haven't felt like they've been on the wrong side of a moderation, but as soon as it happens they turn into one of those people who just can't follow the rules for whatever reason. Also, I'm not saying that the mods are bad people, but do keep in mind the Stanford Prison Experiment. I don't think that they go out and say, "I'm gonna pick on some users I don't like today," but I do think at times some of them might play a little fast and loose in the name ofupholding authoritah.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127530 Posts

After my last moderation I now know what users are talking about when they talk about absurd moderations.

Teenaged
What did you get moderated for?

On topic: If only we didn't overuse memes and so it would be so much better... So yes I'm blaming (at least partially) us users.
uncledeath2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 uncledeath2005
Member since 2005 • 5890 Posts

OT is not as good as when I first signed up, users were creative now all we get is users trying to be popular...like it actually matters.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

horgen123

What did you get moderated for?

On topic: If only we didn't overuse memes and so it would be so much better... So yes I'm blaming (at least partially) us users.

In my thread "You against the rest of OT", super_mario_128 said that he beats us all in being the most indifferent person, and i said:

"That's not a skill! :evil:"

Apparently thats trolling. :roll:

It doesnt matter if it was just a warning; it shows what direction the forums are taking.

And thankfully it got reversed (after I took to the AtM of course).

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
No, it's the good old users leaving that people have a problem with, no one could care less for idiotic newbies
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Since when was gamespot going down hill?
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I think it's a unique community; users obviously love it because they stay for years, even after they've lost all interest in games. I don't think there are many forums that have to cater to such a wide ranging age of members. It's no surprise that some of the older users feel they've outgrown the pen and don't want to stick to the PG13 ToU. Blame the mods, the ToU or the users, the problem is that GS has broad appeal.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
I haven't gotten any moderations since 2007 fortunately. I guess moderators may have counted post count into their actions. I have said worse things this year, and haven't gotten moderated for it. (You'd still find it funny what i was moderated for however).
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#81 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, I don't think mods should be getting all the blame. With so many different mods with many different opinions on what is modable and what isn't, it is inevitable that there will be some unfair moderations. BUt inm the end, I think it's worth it, if it keeps this place nice and clean.

Yes, the mods ban popular users, popular users are still users that joined here accepting the terms of use, and therefore still have to go by it. Some of the banned popular users may have certainly had unfair moderations, but some of them probably deserved it too.

So really, the blame should be on both the mods and users.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Since when was gamespot going down hill?Pvt_r3d
About 5 min after they're not the center of attention for most folk ;)
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#83 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts

There really should be a level 10 minimum to post on Gamespot's forums -- let them new accounts post on gamefaq boards, and let them (gamefaq mods) deal with the new posters. That should deal a considerable blow to trolls and the fakeboys.

RevolutionGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 RevolutionGun
Member since 2009 • 243 Posts

There really should be a level 10 minimum to post on Gamespot's forums -- let them new accounts post on gamefaq boards, and let them (gamefaq mods) deal with the new posters. That should deal a considerable blow to trolls and the fakeboys.

Stevo_the_gamer

This post hit below the belt.