Ever think it is the users and not the mods making GS go downhill?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

So you hear alot of talk these days about how the mods are drunk with power and banning everyone in sight. Have you ever considered the fact that as the community grows more and more idiots are coming to OT and violating the TOS and saying things which are obviously not something you should say on this board? I am not saying that every banning in the history of GS has been deserved, but is all the blame really on the mods or are the users part of the problem as well.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Oh no it is all the mods! ;)
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

It is most definetly not the users...

If i post an explanation, I expect point losses.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Of course the users are part of the problem... I'm not going to say anything further because I don't feel like getting modded because someone decides I'm "flaming" the mods...
RevolutionGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RevolutionGun
Member since 2009 • 243 Posts
This thread is under the watchful eye of a...
Oblivionfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Oblivionfan10
Member since 2008 • 6327 Posts
It's basically 25 percent users 25 percent mods 25 percent Terms of Use and then 25 percent is anyone's guess
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
*sigh* Now how to make my point without being painted a crusader/conspiracy theorist...
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

The idiots aren't getting banned, though. More and more it seems like the first person to report anything even remotely resmebling a ToU violation gets the other person modded without fault being taken into account, and then when people like Sponge complain about good, well-known users being banned for minor infractions they get banned themselves. More and more Ot is becoming a revolving door, and the sad part is that there're more good users going out than coming in. Not to say there aren't any good users coming in, but it does seem like there are more users with a loud mouth and a trigger happy report finger coming in than decent ones who make OT a fun place to be.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Yes, I mean the mods aren't perfect they make mistakes and such, but we need good users as well. While the TOS is strict it isn't all that difficult to post in accordance with it.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
well, no, no, I think the whole format of OT is inherently flawed for perpetually bad discussion. the mods of course encourage merely posting what song you like, but for instance, every topic has to clearly pose a question. this might sound elementary, but by posting questions for the the start of a topic, all you're ever going to get is answers. as well, for some reason it's bad if a topic veers too far off the 'original' topic. basically Gamespot doesn't want really free-flowing discussion, because hey, you can make another topic for that, right? really it's all very stupid.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16017 Posts

Nah. The users aren't the ones giving you trips to the sin bin.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

Yes, I mean the mods aren't perfect they make mistakes and such, but we need good users as well. While the TOS is strict it isn't all that difficult to post in accordance with it. thriteenthmonke

that is what I am saying. I have been here since 2005 and have always been able to post my opinion without censorship and not be modded, you just can't go around destroying anyone who disagrees with you.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Uh, can't it be both? As anyone who knows me can attest to I have defended the moderators time and time again. However, they are in a position where they can weigh of lot of decisions on their discretion. At that point user "inappropriateness" becomes less of a clear violation of the rules, and turns subjective as select moderators can decide what is inappropriate behavior based on their own perceptions, and what the corresponding action should be. As one person put it earlier:
That wasn't it. I'll just say if a dude intends to get banned, we're not going to wait around for it. Moderator
I always wondered if there is a ton of consensus between moderators regarding the actions of certain users.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
I miss the '08 OT... :[[[
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

No, it's because of bad threads. :P

power1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 power1
Member since 2003 • 79 Posts
if i was a mod i would be able to control my powers just like green lantern can controls his EASY!
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

Oh no it is all the mods! ;)duxup

hold on wait.....im confused now:|

KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KcurtorMas
Member since 2009 • 1484 Posts

Well, Mods are former users like the rest of us, and theres some users that are former Mods... sooooooo.......both??

thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thriteenthmonke
well, no, no, I think the whole format of OT is inherently flawed for perpetually bad discussion. the mods of course encourage merely posting what song you like, but for instance, every topic has to clearly pose a question. this might sound elementary, but by posting questions for the the start of a topic, all you're ever going to get is answers. as well, for some reason it's bad if a topic veers too far off the 'original' topic. basically Gamespot doesn't want really free-flowing discussion, because hey, you can make another topic for that, right? really it's all very stupid.quiglythegreat
I agree with this. Although, I while natural flow a discussion towards other topics should be acceptable but there should be limits on deliberate derailing. Also, I disagree with locking topics that "don't encourage discussion". My opinion is that most topics that really don't encourage discussion won't be posted in so they'll just fall into obscurity.

that is what I am saying. I have been here since 2005 and have always been able to post my opinion without censorship and not be modded, you just can't go around destroying anyone who disagrees with you.

iloverikku11
Yeah, I've also been here since 05 and (at least lately) haven't had many issues with moderations.
Oblivionfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Oblivionfan10
Member since 2008 • 6327 Posts
I miss the '08 OT... :[[[Bloodseeker23
I guess OT of 2006 was the best. I went back through the archives. Didn't seem all that great
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I am not saying that every banning in the history of GS has been deserved, but is all the blame really on the mods or are the users part of the problem as well.

iloverikku11

Grim reality says Mods don't make spam topics and suicides magically appear, so users have some accountability to deal with here.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
No. All the users that have a sense of humor are the users that keep GS from being completely boring. And since they are getting banned, GS is slowly starting to fall under the dark age instead of going to another golden age.....
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="Bloodseeker23"]I miss the '08 OT... :[[[Oblivionfan10
I guess OT of 2006 was the best. I went back through the archives. Didn't seem all that great

06 System wars was fantastic compared to what it is today....
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I think it's a little of both since everyone has a meanie side to them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

It's because of AIDS.

ff7fan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ff7fan2
Member since 2006 • 31413 Posts
I personally don't think it's anybody's fault. Just a distorted view of what people think that OT was like when they first starting frequenting.
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thriteenthmonke
I personally don't think it's anybody's fault. Just a distorted view of what people think that OT was like when they first starting frequenting.ff7fan2
I think this is mostly it. I don't remember OT being much better than this when I started posting, with the exception of RC being a lot more active.
Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Maybe it is both

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
I suppose it's a little of both.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="ff7fan2"]I personally don't think it's anybody's fault. Just a distorted view of what people think that OT was like when they first starting frequenting.thriteenthmonke
I think this is mostly it. I don't remember OT being much better than this when I started posting, with the exception of RC being a lot more active.

I remember it being very different, specifically there are a ton of users who used to post on OT back then that don't now, and I haven't even been on OT that long. MattyK, NeonTiger, 619, and now Panda and Sponge are just a few users who used to be frequent contributers and are nowhere to be seen lately for one reason or another. That, plus the people that still are here are very much less a community than they previously were due to some close groups being broken up. I'm not saying that OT is going to suddenly go from bad to horrible because of one ban, but it certainly does start to chip away at the community little by little. And as I said, there don't seem to be a ton of new posters stepping in to take their places. A few, but not nearly enough.

effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

Somewhat...I never found GS to be a very good online community since I came here (July '08). At least here, most of the mods here are part of the community. At a lot of other sites, they just serve out the moderations without really contributing anything else. You have to give them credit that the GS mods are at least trying to hold the community together.

I come to GS forum for the fact that it is active and fairly well maintained. I have a couple people from here on MSN and play online games with them and stuff, but there are a lot of psuedo-intellects here, people who just like to argue,immature people, and just people who are not all that fun:?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 avatar_genius
I miss the OT of Sunday, September 13 2009. Gosh, those were the days.
killer336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 killer336
Member since 2007 • 2816 Posts

[QUOTE="Oblivionfan10"]It's basically 25 percent users 25 percent mods 25 percent Terms of Use and then 25 percent is anyone's guessBio_Spark

Lizard men. The last 25% is due to those scheming Lizard men.

no it's crab people
killer336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 killer336
well, no, no, I think the whole format of OT is inherently flawed for perpetually bad discussion. the mods of course encourage merely posting what song you like, but for instance, every topic has to clearly pose a question. this might sound elementary, but by posting questions for the the start of a topic, all you're ever going to get is answers. as well, for some reason it's bad if a topic veers too far off the 'original' topic. basically Gamespot doesn't want really free-flowing discussion, because hey, you can make another topic for that, right? really it's all very stupid.quiglythegreat
ssshh the mods are watching
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
It's a combo; 1 part user, 1 part mod, 2 parts rules open to interpretation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

[QUOTE="Oblivionfan10"]It's basically 25 percent users 25 percent mods 25 percent Terms of Use and then 25 percent is anyone's guesskiller336

no it's crab people

It's donkey lobster crossbreed hybrids from Saturn.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I miss the '08 OT... :[[[Bloodseeker23
I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find someone saying the same thing about every year for the past 6 years. Maybe it's just nostalgia's fault.
killer336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 killer336
[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="killer336"][QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

no it's crab people

It's donkey lobster crossbreed hybrids from Saturn.

ROFLMFAO don't EVER get banned man
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
no its the mods
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

As someone who has been here for nearly ten years, has received numerous moderations, and probably crosses the line sometimes in my numerous angry rants, I've got to say that the fault lies with the users.

I have been to FAR less tolerating forums, and I can honestly say that I've deserved about 90% of the moderations that I've had. Sure, there are the odd few that you think were unwarranted, but most people don't get BANNED for that kind of stuff. Usually you don't get BANNED unless you make very clear and/or repeated violations.

It's really not that hard to follow the rules.

Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 Buck_Hotep
Member since 2003 • 10589 Posts

It's the users. Users who sign up for this very forum who for some reason seem to ignore the ToS that they're suppose to read so they know whats allowed and whats not allowed. While some moderation can be a bit draconian and, at times, vague as to why happened in the majority of the cases it's just the users acting like the fool for doing something that violated ToS and then complaining that they either "didn't know" (which in my opinion should be cause enough to be banned if not reading ToS is reason for screwing up) or "the mods are taking the fun out of GS" (which if that's the case then why are they still posting and whining about it when they could just leave and go somewhere where they can have free rein to have diarrhea of the keyboard and not get in trouble).

I've been a member for almost 6 years now (give or take a couple months) and I've been very opinionated when I need to be but I know whats allowed and what's crossing the line into being modded. Unlike some users I actually have control over what I say and and filter out what I know can get me in trouble. I'm guessing some people just don't have that mental filter which prevents them from doing stupid things or saying them without actually thinking if it's actually a good thing.

vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

I think every single one of my moderations has been unjustified and petty. The mods are very overzealous.

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
I wish that everyone wasn't so banned easily though, but I do feel it's the users and not the mods.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="duxup"]Oh no it is all the mods! ;)

No not really TC i think some of the rules are difficult not to break. I say higher the age for forum users and allow more expression. 13 year olds can go jump off a cliff for all i care. To be fair tho they do an ok job. I have only got one moderation i disagree with and to be honest who ever that mod was is a bit well.... weird. Saying that i got moderated once and someone else's topic got removed because of my stupidity that annoyed me as well, why should the TC suffer for my off topic joke? Anyhow its a waste of time they will never change.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

There are two groups of people bringing these forums down:

1. Trolls
  2. People who cannot recognize trolls
fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

Of course the users are part of the problem... I'm not going to say anything further because I don't feel like getting modded because someone decides I'm "flaming" the mods...chessmaster1989

just what i was about to say

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Yes I have. And the users are to blame for much of it. Mods can't change the content....only users can.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
Of course it's the users, and I find it silly that a lot of people get angry when they get modded, even when they deserved it. That's like being angry at a cop when he arrests you after you rob a store. Now, I'm not saying that the mods can't slip up, but really, without them, this place would be a whole lot worse.