Ever notice on forums..

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

User Lists: 0

#51 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

It's because all of Gamespot's evangelicals were banned for Christ.

...Well except for blackregiment *foreveraloneimage*

-Sun_Tzu-

But he doesn't make evangelical threads. :(

Crushmaster's ban thread was sublime, though. I swear that guy's threads were like if Westboro figured out what computers were.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#52 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Not really, no.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#53 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="NiKva"]

That atheists are the ones making the most religious threads, usually complaining about a news article about the church, or asking if you're Christian and why or why not :/

That's why I don't read most religious threads anymore, it's usually the same statements and arguements being repeated over and over again :l

fueled-system

Your obviously biased, if you go through the threads you will find a lot of anti athiest or 'why athiests are wrong' threads etc, or indeed a lot like your own thread here, this cartoon sums it up.

You say bias but then you post a picture from a biased site...? edit: I can agree with wasdie

The picture has alot of truth to it.

Not to say all, or even most Christians are like that, but there is definitely a pretty sizable group of Christian that act exactly like the lady in that comic.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 GreySeal9

Often when I see a person (atheist or religious) going on and on, trying to convince another person of the opposing view, I wonder if they are really trying to convince that person...... or themselves.

Planet_Pluto

I've heard people say this alot, and it sounds like a nice psychological observation, but I don't really buy it.

I think the convincing comes from a person being so confident in their beliefs that they think, "How can anybody deny this? urrrrrrghhh! I have to show them that they are wrong!"

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Often when I see a person (atheist or religious) going on and on, trying to convince another person of the opposing view, I wonder if they are really trying to convince that person...... or themselves.

GreySeal9

I've heard people say this alot, and it sounds like a nice psychological observation, but I don't really buy it.

I think the convincing comes from a person being so confident in their beliefs that they think, "How can anybody deny this? urrrrrrghhh! I have to show them that they are wrong!"

I think that, for the most part, when someone is confident in their beliefs, they don't really give a sh-t what anyone else thinks. It's when they aren't completely sure, that they look for someone to agree with them, sort of a strength-in-numbers kind of thing.

Legacy-of-Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Legacy-of-Todd
Member since 2011 • 539 Posts
Everyone is silly.
Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts
Last time I participated in a religious thread was like 1-2 month(s) ago, so I can't say.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Planet_Pluto

I think that, for the most part, when someone is confident in their beliefs, they don't really give a sh-t what anyone else thinks. It's when they aren't completely sure, that they look for someone to agree with them, sort of a strength-in-numbers kind of thing.

I'd say that depends on the person. Some confident people don't give a **** but some people are so over confident in their beliefs that they feel they have to (and can) sway others. To them, their beliefs are the absolute truth and they must spread that truth.

It's possible that there are some people who are unsure and trying to convince themselves, but most of the aggressive try-to-convert-people sort of posts from athiests and thiests that I have seen projected an almost fanatical certainty.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]Look up any thread ever by Theokoth.MissLibrarian
:lol: Oh my, dear ol' Theo. It amuses me whenever I realise how quickly I forget that various people ever existed here.

theokoth is recarnate somewhere in level 2
black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Planet_Pluto

I can't speak for others, but in my case, I don't think religion is just wrong (if it was just that, I wouldn't really care), but actively harmful to both the believer and everyone around him, which is why I used to be pretty vocal about my views in religious topics; I wanted to help other people get "cured", so to speak.

Nowadays, however, I don't even bother with religious threads. Not because I've changed my mind (if anything, my belief that religion is a cancer of humanity has only gotten stronger), but because I've realized you can't change people's minds on the subject -at least not on the internet- and it's pointless to even try.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="Seraphy-"]this is all why I am a [spoiler] pantheist [/spoiler]

better than a panflutist
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

As long as theists insist on making claims on the existance of the divine athiests have every right to raise questions of doubts and ask for evidence.

jaqulle999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jaqulle999
Member since 2009 • 2897 Posts

Are you an atheist?

Steakumms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Steakumms
Member since 2011 • 84 Posts
I just try to ignore them. You're completely right about it being the same schtick over and over.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I'd say that depends on the person. Some confident people don't give a **** but some people are so over confident in their beliefs that they feel they have to (and can) sway others. To them, their beliefs are the absolute truth and they must spread that truth.

It's possible that there are some people who are unsure and trying to convince themselves, but most of the aggressive try-to-convert-people sort of posts from athiests and thiests that I have seen projected an almost fanatical certainty.

In terms of religious people trying to convert others, one thing that has to be considered is depending on the denomination they're in they may be REQUIRED to at least attempt to convert other people to their religion.

For example, a few years back I visited a church called the New Testament Christian Church. They were very confident in their beliefs. But at the same time they also believed God wanted them to spread the word and attempt to convert nonbelievers (to include Christians from other denominations) over to them.

If they attempted to convert you and you told them to F off they were good to go because they tried. On the other hand, if they didn't even try to convert them at all they were wrong and could go to Hell for inaction.

It's similar to the concept of Good Samaritan laws where you can be penalized for inaction when you're able to help. Think of the last Seinfield episode where Seinfield and his buddies got arrested for not helping that guy who was getting mugged.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#66 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

That atheists are the ones making the most religious threads, usually complaining about a news article about the church, or asking if you're Christian and why or why not :/

That's why I don't read most religious threads anymore, it's usually the same statements and arguements being repeated over and over again :l

NiKva
Nope.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
[QUOTE="NiKva"][QUOTE="Jandurin"]you are wrong

Show me a recent thread about religion made by a religious person. And it can't be this thread :P

you should have seen in a few years ago, before OT had some religious guidelines. a few people from gamespot christian unions would come here and try to "convert" people, bashing other people's beliefs. One of them was called blackregiment, another one I think his name was crushmaster he was banned
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
The religious ones always gets themselves banned.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

Religious threads are ridiculous...and the arguments are almost always started by atheists. Here's how one usually goes:

"Religion is a fairytale."

"Is not."

"Is too."

"Is not."

"Is too."

"Is not."

"Is too."

*28 pages later*

"Is not."

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
and the arguments are almost always started by atheists.the_plan_man
From my experience, it's always started by some religious guy making a claim that he/she can't back up, like "evolution is false!', "atheism is just like a religion!", "God exist!"
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts
[QUOTE="the_plan_man"]and the arguments are almost always started by atheists.Lonelynight
From my experience, it's always started by some religious guy making a claim that he/she can't back up, like "evolution is false!', "atheism is just like a religion!", "God exist!"

Not lately it hasn't. :P
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I don't pay much attention so I wouldn't know. I just know I get a good laugh out of them.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

NiKva
You just summed up just about every argument in OT. Same people same points. Some users have no problem with copy & pasting the same arguments over and over.........