Even the new Tomb Raider movie couldn't dethrone Black Panther as it's still number 1 in the box office weekend

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts
  1. Black Panther - $27.0 Million
  2. Tomb Raider - $23.5 Million (new release)
  3. I Can Only Imagine - $17.0 Million (new release)
  4. A Wrinkle in Time - $16.5 Million
  5. Love, Simon - $11.5 Million (new release)
  6. Game Night - $5.5 Million
  7. Peter Rabbit - $5.2 Million
  8. Strangers: Prey at Night - $4.8 Million
  9. Red Sparrow - $4.4 Million
  10. Death Wish - $3.3 Million

Man, I thought Tomb Raider was gonna be number 1, I even like the new movie and it had a lot of advertising to go with it. Tomb Raider couldn't even pass Black Panther in it's 5th week! All that marketing was all for nothing.

Anyhow, kinda of a slow weekend to say the least but next week it's Pacific Rim 2 and I be surprise if it makes it to $50-$70 million at least.

March 16-18 mojo's box office weekend

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Damn, how is it possible they haven't made a great videogame movie yet? In my opinion there needs to be a centralized gaming film studio that focuses on quality like Marvel or something.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain  Moderator

@needhealing said:

Damn, how is it possible they haven't made a great videogame movie yet? In my opinion there needs to be a centralized gaming film studio that focuses on quality like Marvel or something.

I think a lot of people have lost faith in films that are based on video games. And can you really blame them? A lot of gamers got burned on these video games adaption movies for decades and the only decent films that even made a profit was those Resident Evil movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

"All that marketing"? Maybe in the US...here I only heard that it was a thing when I went and watch BP and saw the TR advertisement and I STILL had no idea it was already out...

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Video games need to stick to video games probably

Blame video games

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

I've seen some ads for the new Tomb Raider movie, but there's no big name attached to it. That's part of the reason the take is kinda low. I think the biggest name in it is Walton Goggins. Good actor, but not exactly a box office draw.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@needhealing said:

There have been great video game movies, but the catch I see is the great ones are about gaming culture and not straight up adaptations of games.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

IMO video game based movies should be taken more seriously, like remember when superhero movies used to mostly suck in the 80s and 90s? It changed in the 2000s and in the 2010s they normally gross very well. They should be the next big thing too, and now we have games that could translate well into movies if done right like The Last of Us, Mass Effect, Uncharted and such.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think that Ready Player One movie will dethrone BP. If not.....then I guess Infinity War will?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

wtf Tomb Raider made $120 million during the weekend. Although another average game movie, it's going to make its money back and then some.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mitu123 said:

IMO video game based movies should be taken more seriously, like remember when superhero movies used to mostly suck in the 80s and 90s? It changed in the 2000s and in the 2010s they normally gross very well. They should be the next big thing too, and now we have games that could translate well into movies if done right like The Last of Us, Mass Effect, Uncharted and such.

Uncharted would be to similar to Tomb Raider. Just add some dry wit and humour to it. Probably be longer movies though. I very much prefer the personality Nathan Drake has over Lara Croft, but I haven't played the last Tomb Raider game yet.

The Last of Us.. Well if they could capture the magic of the video game, then hell yeah!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mitu123

@horgen said:
@mitu123 said:

Uncharted would be to similar to Tomb Raider. Just add some dry wit and humour to it. Probably be longer movies though. I very much prefer the personality Nathan Drake has over Lara Croft, but I haven't played the last Tomb Raider game yet.

The Last of Us.. Well if they could capture the magic of the video game, then hell yeah!

Uncharted would be a more buddy version(or whatever you call it) of Tomb Raider since Nathan Drake hangs with either Elena, Sully, Chloe, Sam, etc. And would definitely have more humor as you said. I still think it could work if done right.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
@mitu123 said:
@horgen said:
@mitu123 said:

Uncharted would be a more buddy version(or whatever you call it) of Tomb Raider since Nathan Drake hangs with either Elena, Sully, Chloe, Sam, etc. And would definitely have more humor as you said. I still think it could work if done right.

I heard were getting Uncharted movie but as you said, it be a buddy thing movie thing with humor to go with it. I like Uncharted series but making a movie out of it is really a tall order.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Marvel can't put a foot wrong these days, wasn't Thor Ragnorok a huge success too.

Going to see Pacific Rim 2 tomorrow

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator

@mitu123 said:

Don't forget the old guy.

Oh and I will be seeing Thor Ragnarok this weekend.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mitu123

@davillain- said:
@mitu123 said:
@horgen said:
@mitu123 said:

I heard were getting Uncharted movie but as you said, it be a buddy thing movie thing with humor to go with it. I like Uncharted series but making a movie out of it is really a tall order.

I heard it was to feature Mark Walberg as Nathan Drake...yeah, after his past movies, he's really going to need to step it up.

@horgen said:
@mitu123 said:

Don't forget the old guy.

Oh and I will be seeing Thor Ragnarok this weekend.

Sully is the old guy!

Nice, Thor Ragnarok is really good!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator

@mitu123 said:

Sully is the old guy!

Nice, Thor Ragnarok is really good!

His name was Sully? Looks like I need to revisit Uncharted during Easter. Time to go through all 4 if I am lucky.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@davillain-:

I saw commercial saying TR is the number 1 movie in the World.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@PSP107: Because it was the #1 movie in international markets with an estimated $87 mil. Sounds much better than saying it's the number 2 movie in the us.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
@PSP107 said:

@davillain-:

I saw commercial saying TR is the number 1 movie in the World.

Like Hallenbeck77 said, it's number one in the international only but not here in the U.S. To be honest, it isn't a bad video game movie for once, you should go check it out, I really enjoy it.

SpookiShibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpookiShibe
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

That's because when a Movie is based off of a Video Game, 98% of the time it is awful. It may be a good movie but the reputation of them movies are terrible.

Jennylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jennylove
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

That`s truly different

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

I've seen some ads for the new Tomb Raider movie, but there's no big name attached to it. That's part of the reason the take is kinda low. I think the biggest name in it is Walton Goggins. Good actor, but not exactly a box office draw.

Walton Goggins is awesome. Makes everything he is in better.

His time will come.

Avatar image for blackpanther9012
BlackPanther9012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlackPanther9012
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

@davillain-: I preferred Jolie as Lara.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@davillain- said:
@needhealing said:

I think a lot of people have lost faith in films that are based on video games. And can you really blame them? A lot of gamers got burned on these video games adaption movies for decades and the only decent films that even made a profit was those Resident Evil movies.

I thought Silent Hill was pretty decent, it even got a sequel were Sean Bean died.

Tomb Raider is actually very good, best film I've seen this year so far