Employee drug testing. For or Against

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="double_decker"] I wouldn't mind, it only takes 8 hours for alcohol to get clear of your system, if I couldn't stay sober that long then I wouldn't deserve a job. Also, alcohol is legal sure, but not in public and certainly not at any job except for being an alcohol tester. Where I was hired they hair tested and urine tested for illegal drugs and alcohol.

Where would you draw the line? Coming back to an earlier example, should employers be able to check your home computer to ensure you haven't got any hidden undesirable tendencies which could also land him with a lawsuit?

How would your home computer land the employer a lawsuit?

Maybe it would reveal that you're a pirate, or maybe there would be evidence of some other crime. Why shouldn't your boss be free to investigate that too if it makes you a risk to him? It's a slippery slope, and I like my right to privacy or what remains of it.
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

I am for employee drug testing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178880 Posts
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] Where would you draw the line? Coming back to an earlier example, should employers be able to check your home computer to ensure you haven't got any hidden undesirable tendencies which could also land him with a lawsuit?

How would your home computer land the employer a lawsuit?

Maybe it would reveal that you're a pirate, or maybe there would be evidence of some other crime. Why shouldn't your boss be free to investigate that too if it makes you a risk to him? It's a slippery slope, and I like my right to privacy or what remains of it.

But that is not a risk to the employer while use of drugs is.....
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#154 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
So if you don't bring drugs to work, you should not be tested?jimmyjammer69
After the initial hire sure, unless you give them a reason to think you have them on you or came to work under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] Yes? You've nothing against random alcohol tests? A hungover employee is probably as dangerous as a guy who was stoned yesterday, and why shouldn't your boss have the right to sack you because you've been drinking yesterday?jimmyjammer69
We have every right to fire someone if they have been involved in an alcohol related crime such as drunk driving. It is an illegal activity per the law. It also shows incredibly poor judgement. The use of illegal drugs is also illegal and we have the right to fire someone for that.

Absolutely, I'm not disagreeing with you at all on that.. But the difference is that they should be convicted of the crime first. It's not up to our bosses to go rooting around in our bins or our bodily fluids to find out what we've been up to in our free time.

We're talking about illegal drugs here. If somebody chooses to do something that's illegal in their spare time that can impact job performance, the employer has a right to know.

You make it seem like drug testing lets an employer gain all sorts of information about one's personal life. It's just a drug test. It detects drugs. That's it. Its just a means to protect the company (and potentially the employee, should he injure himself on the job due to his drug use).

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] How would your home computer land the employer a lawsuit?

Who knows what he would find on your computer? Maybe he'll find evidence that he could find his own company involved in a piracy lawsuit thanks to his employee's behaviour... Maybe you have curious, forbidden sexual leanings, the discovery of which could save him in the nick of time from a sex-related crime. If you use your imagination, there's plenty he could find out if he delved into all his employees' backgrounds which might later cause their performance or his business to suffer. The point isn't even about the legality of your actions, it's what right your boss has to play detective over your private life.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="sonicare"] We have every right to fire someone if they have been involved in an alcohol related crime such as drunk driving. It is an illegal activity per the law. It also shows incredibly poor judgement. The use of illegal drugs is also illegal and we have the right to fire someone for that.RadBooley

Absolutely, I'm not disagreeing with you at all on that.. But the difference is that they should be convicted of the crime first. It's not up to our bosses to go rooting around in our bins or our bodily fluids to find out what we've been up to in our free time.

We're talking about illegal drugs here. If somebody chooses to do something that's illegal in their spare time that can impact job performance, the employer has a right to know.

You make it seem like drug testing lets an employer gain all sorts of information about one's personal life. It's just a drug test. It detects drugs. That's it. Its just a means to protect the company (and potentially the employee, should he injure himself on the job due to his drug use).

I disagree. I think the employer has a right to know if you have a criminal record, but has no right to know whether I or LJS or any other employee secretly smokes pot at weekends. He is not a law enforcement agent and shouldn't be given the powers of one.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] Maybe it would reveal that you're a pirate, or maybe there would be evidence of some other crime. Why shouldn't your boss be free to investigate that too if it makes you a risk to him? It's a slippery slope, and I like my right to privacy or what remains of it.

Who knows what he would find on your computer? Maybe he'll find evidence that he could find his own company involved in a piracy lawsuit thanks to his employee's behaviour... Maybe you have curious, forbidden sexual leanings, the discovery of which could save him in the nick of time from a sex-related crime. If you use your imagination, there's plenty he could find out if he delved into all his employees' backgrounds which might later cause their performance or his business to suffer. The point isn't even about the legality of your actions, it's what right your boss has to play detective over your private life.

Uh...no. The only one that gets in trouble for what is on one's computer is the individual. The employer is not liable for what the employee does at home on the computer. However, if the employee gets high at home and then comes to work...he can be held liable.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]For it, but it's not necessary in all jobs.Murj

Same. I don't mind getting served by a stoner in Subway but if my doctor is foaming at the mouth then I got a problem.

When that stoner messes up your order twice so he can eat the mistake subs..... :P Which actually happened t me once when I went into a subway. Dude was having a snack attack
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 RadBooley

I disagree. I think the employer has a right to know if you have a criminal record, but has no right to know whether I or LJS or any other employee secretly smokes pot at weekends. He is not a law enforcement agent and shouldn't be given the powers of one.jimmyjammer69

Employers aren't given the power of law enforcement agents. They don't drug test potential employees so they can turn them in to the cops. In fact, most companies just tell the person they failed and that's that. No police are involved.

The job market is competitive. Employers want to get the best person for the job. If that person has a secret, yet illegal habit, the employer has a right to know so he can make the best decision. Its their business-- they're perfectly within their rights to make sure their employees aren't doing drugs. Who would want risk employing someone who could be a liability later on? Why should employees be forced to turn a blind eye to a factor that may cause an employee to injure himself, others, or the company name?

Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
They have the right to, but I'm not exacly for it. They shouldn't really need to know if I smoke pot.
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

Drug testing potential employees is imo ok.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
I think it should be up to the company
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
Really depends on the job, if its working for the police then yes. But if your working on a cruise ship then no.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 RadBooley

Really depends on the job, if its working for the police then yes. But if your working on a cruise ship then no.bobaban

Why not? The last thing we need is for people to be doing drugs on a ship, then fall overboard and drown.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 LJS9502_basic

Really depends on the job, if its working for the police then yes. But if your working on a cruise ship then no.bobaban
What if they navigate the ship?

PsycoMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167 PsycoMind
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts

How could anyone be against it? :?

Pirate700
because there are alot of false positives and you could be turned down or fired because of it
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

For it for all jobs.

cs45F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 cs45F
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts
I don't care its easy to get past it if you have to anyways.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Their property, their rules.

agturboninja

^ I was going to say something along the lines of having mandatory drug testing, but this is a bit more reasonable. ^

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

I don't care its easy to get past it if you have to anyways.cs45F

That's why God created random drug testing.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="pis3rch"]

:lol: Yes, because everyone who smokes marijuana is a dirty, smelly cretin who never bathes. Also they're communists. Reefer madness-esque stereotypes are always fun!

LJS9502_basic

I said may. Never said all....and I've met people who were rather...dirty that used drugs. Are you saying such individuals DON'T ever exist?:lol:

I've met people who were dirty who DON'T use drugs. Are YOU saying that such people don't exist?

The thing is, you didn't say "I don't want DIRTY people preparing my food." You said that you don't want STONERS preparing your food, and you justified that by saying that a stoner MIGHT be dirty.

Yeah, no ****. So might everyone else.

The thing is, hygeine is actually important for people who handle food. There are standards for hygeine at restaurants. And if a restaurant isn't following proper hygeine specifications, then stoners are the LEAST of your worries. And if a restaurant IS enforcing proper hygeine among their employees, then it's kind of nonsensical to be worried about POSSIBLE bad hygeine that might result from someone being a person who uses marijuana occasionally. If they're hygenic enough to keep their jobs, then being a stoner is IRRELEVANT as far as hygeine goes. And if they are NOT being hygenic, then the problem isn't stoners, but lax enforcement of the rules by restaurant management. What, you think that management is going to let everyone BUT the stoners be dirty as hell? And if the management ALLOWS people to be dirty as hell, do you HONESTLY think that the stoners are going to be the only ones who are dirty?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Or if the job involves the safety of customers....they can be sued by the customer if an injury happens. So it is mostly to protect the company.double_decker
Yep, even at a "sucky" job like McDonald's. There are alot of ways injury can happen to workers and customers if someone was under the influence.

Thing is, you can get in an accident, get drug tested, and then get fired because you smoked a joint a WEEK ago.

Meanwhile everyone likes to go out drinking on the weekends. If you get in an accident on Sunday morning, you're not going to get fired because you went out drinking on Friday night.

Why? Because there is a difference between being someone who uses drugs, and someone who uses drugs ON THE JOB.

We apparently have little difference separating the two when it comes to alcohol. Most employers don't care if you drink alcohol on your free time, as long as you aren't under the influence when you come to work. Do most pre-employment drug screenings check to see if you've consumed alcohol any time in the last week?

But somehow there's this frankly stupid double standard, where we assume that just because someone smoked pot two weeks ago, that they're going to be showing up to work stoned.

There's a BIG difference between a drug user, and someone who shows up to work high. Don't talk to me about safety, when I can get drunk the night before a drug test and still get the job. Drinking alcohol is JUST as much of a safety concern as illegal drugs, which is why I'll get fired if I show up to work drunk. Just like how I'll get fired if I show up to work stoned. But if I'm NOT going to work stoned, how is testing for pot in my system a legitimate indicator that I'm more of a safety hazard than someone who goes to work with a pounding hangover headache?

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

What ever keeps the costs of goods and services cheap, I am all for it.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#175 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

What, no poll?:?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="bobaban"]Really depends on the job, if its working for the police then yes. But if your working on a cruise ship then no.RadBooley

Why not? The last thing we need is for people to be doing drugs on a ship, then fall overboard and drown.

Well, don't they actually serve ALCOHOL on cruise ships?

What, would it be better if someone got DRUNK, then fell overboard and drowned?

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#177 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
For it, I suppose, as I can't see how it wouldn't improve the quality of service, generally. How much it improves work habits, service, etc is up for debate, but it certainly wouldn't harm it. I'm also not for people complaining about it. Any job that includes drug testing states so on the contract you sign. You don't have to take that job if you object strongly to drug testing. If it's on the contract, drug testing becomes PART of the job and staying clean is part of what you're paid for. If you don't like your job extending into your private life like that, find a job that doesn't. If you sign the contract, you take the job, and you agree to fulfill all the duties it requires and acknowledge that you can be dismissed if you fail to accomplish any of them, drug tests included. You have no right to whine about how unfair it is, much like I can't really whine about how bad a TV show is or how expensive a particular game is, as I always have the choice not to watch/pay for it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 MrGeezer

I don't care its easy to get past it if you have to anyways.cs45F
Which means that it's ineffective to begin with.

If it's that easy for drug users to get past pre-employment drug tests, then doesn't that indicate that it's pretty pointless?

If it's that easy to get past these tests, even if you use drugs, then doesn't that sort of indicate that maybe the drug test's ability to screen out potential safety hazards only provides negligible benefits.

As someone here already said..."if you're so incompetent that you can't pass the pre-employment screening, then you shouldn't get the job anyway". But the whole idea that it's so easy to pass a drug test even though you're a drug user makes me strongly wonder how effective they ACTUALLY are at screening out the people that they are DESIGNED to screen out.

I mean, if I can EASILY pass a drug test, then start toking up as soon as I get hired, and then smoke weed like crazy for the next three years, doesn't that sort of indicate that maybe my drug test was totally ineffective? I'm still a stoner. I still work there. And apparently, passing the drug test was so easy that it did practically nothing to prevent the average stoner from working there. So...what was the POINT of the drug test in the first place?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 MrGeezer

For it, I suppose, as I can't see how it wouldn't improve the quality of service, generally. How much it improves work habits, service, etc is up for debate, but it certainly wouldn't harm it. I'm also not for people complaining about it. Any job that includes drug testing states so on the contract you sign. You don't have to take that job if you object strongly to drug testing. If it's on the contract, drug testing becomes PART of the job and staying clean is part of what you're paid for. If you don't like your job extending into your private life like that, find a job that doesn't. If you sign the contract, you take the job, and you agree to fulfill all the duties it requires and acknowledge that you can be dismissed if you fail to accomplish any of them, drug tests included. You have no right to whine about how unfair it is, much like I can't really whine about how bad a TV show is or how expensive a particular game is, as I always have the choice not to watch/pay for it.Paladin_King

Bull. This is the USA, damnit, and I can complain about anything I damn well want to.

So what if I signed a contract stating that I consent to drug tests? Is there also a stipulation in that contract stating that I have no right to complain about drug tests? If not, then I ABSOLUTELY have the right to complain about drug tests, even if I consent to one.

EDIT: And I sure as hell have a right to complain about bad TV shows. Where the hell are you getting the idea that I only have the right to express complaint about certain things?

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#180 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts

[QUOTE="Paladin_King"]For it, I suppose, as I can't see how it wouldn't improve the quality of service, generally. How much it improves work habits, service, etc is up for debate, but it certainly wouldn't harm it. I'm also not for people complaining about it. Any job that includes drug testing states so on the contract you sign. You don't have to take that job if you object strongly to drug testing. If it's on the contract, drug testing becomes PART of the job and staying clean is part of what you're paid for. If you don't like your job extending into your private life like that, find a job that doesn't. If you sign the contract, you take the job, and you agree to fulfill all the duties it requires and acknowledge that you can be dismissed if you fail to accomplish any of them, drug tests included. You have no right to whine about how unfair it is, much like I can't really whine about how bad a TV show is or how expensive a particular game is, as I always have the choice not to watch/pay for it.MrGeezer

Bull. This is the USA, damnit, and I can complain about anything I damn well want to.

So what if I signed a contract stating that I consent to drug tests? Is there also a stipulation in that contract stating that I have no right to complain about drug tests? If not, then I ABSOLUTELY have the right to complain about drug tests, even if I consent to one.

EDIT: And I sure as hell have a right to complain about bad TV shows. Where the hell are you getting the idea that I only have the right to express complaint about certain things?

Yes. Let's play the semantics game :P. Right (first two definitions on dictionary.com) 1. in accordance with what is good, proper, or just: right conduct. 2. in conformity with fact, reason, truth, or some standard or principle; correct: the right solution; the right answer. As you can see, I can indeed use "right" in a manner that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with legalities. I guess that makes it subjective, but hey, it's the internet. I've deemed your pointless whining, for instance, to be against that which is "proper" in that it's a complete waste of time on both sides.
-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#181 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
I don't care one way or the other really. I have nothing to be worried about, so let employers do it if they want.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Paladin_King"]For it, I suppose, as I can't see how it wouldn't improve the quality of service, generally. How much it improves work habits, service, etc is up for debate, but it certainly wouldn't harm it. I'm also not for people complaining about it. Any job that includes drug testing states so on the contract you sign. You don't have to take that job if you object strongly to drug testing. If it's on the contract, drug testing becomes PART of the job and staying clean is part of what you're paid for. If you don't like your job extending into your private life like that, find a job that doesn't. If you sign the contract, you take the job, and you agree to fulfill all the duties it requires and acknowledge that you can be dismissed if you fail to accomplish any of them, drug tests included. You have no right to whine about how unfair it is, much like I can't really whine about how bad a TV show is or how expensive a particular game is, as I always have the choice not to watch/pay for it.Paladin_King

Yes. Let's play the semantics game :P. Right (first two definitions on dictionary.com) 1. in accordance with what is good, proper, or just: right conduct. 2. in conformity with fact, reason, truth, or some standard or principle; correct: the right solution; the right answer. As you can see, I can indeed use "right" in a manner that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with legalities. I guess that makes it subjective, but hey, it's the internet. I've deemed your pointless whining, for instance, to be against that which is "proper" in that it's a complete waste of time on both sides.

No, saying "you don't have the right to do this", even though someone clearly DOES have the right to do it, is nearly always an attempt to stop the discussion then and there, by immediately and preemptively reducing competing arguments to something that they completely arbitrarily don't have the right to express.

THAT is what such a statement nearly always amounts to, and that is what you attempted to do.

No one said a damn thing about the right to complain until you brought it up. You only brought it up (unprovoked, I might add), as an attempt to immediately poison the arguments of anyone who complains.

So I called you on it. You can get all upset about it if you want, but YOU brought up the right to complain, YOU immediately made an attempt to discredit anyone who might disagree with you in the future, so don't point the finger at me for playing the semantics game.