This topic is locked from further discussion.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

Edited By iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

It is a time to give in charity to those in need, and celebrate with family and friends

the completion of a month of blessings and joy.

Before the day of Eid, during the last few days of Ramadan, each Muslim family gives a

determined amount as a donation to the poor. This donation is of actual food -- rice, barley,

dates, rice, etc. -- to ensure that the needy can have a holiday meal and participate in the

celebration. This donation is known as sadaqah al-fitr(charity of fast-breaking).

On the day of Eid, Muslims gather early in the morning in outdoor locations or mosques to

perform the Eid prayer. This consists of a sermon followed by a short congregational prayer.

After the Eid prayer, Muslims usually scatter to visit various family and friends, give gifts

(especially to children), and make phone calls to distant relatives to give well-wishes for the

holiday. These activities traditionally continue for three days. In Muslim countries, the 3-day

period is an official government/school holiday.

When the sighting of the moon of Shawwal is confirmed, Muslims recite the "Takbir"

which is a prayer glorifying the almighty. The Takbir consists of the lines:

Allaho-Akber, Allaho-Akber

La ila-ha ill-lal-lah Allaho-Akber,

Allaho-Akber Wa-lilahill hamd.

(English Translation)

Allah is great, Allah is great.

There is no deity but Allah

Allah is great, Allah is great

And all praises are for Allah.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iowastate

Ramadan and especilly Eid is a time of peace towards all and despite what you may read in some western media there is a very small percentage of Muslims that are part of the Islamic State and their enablers. their is a criminal element in all religions that misuse that religion for their own purposes....an example in Christianity would be televangelists of the United States which do not exist in any other nation. Their only purpose is to take money from people, even those who can not afford to give.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#3 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

Happy Eid.

The celebrating spirit where I live gets less and less each year to be honest, or maybe I'm just getting older.

Not a single person wished me a happy Eid personally this year.

Strange :|

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@Spinnerweb said:

Happy Eid.

The celebrating spirit where I live gets less and less each year to be honest, or maybe I'm just getting older.

*hugs*

Eid Mubarak.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Spinnerweb said:

Happy Eid.

Happy Eid to you my Dear Sir

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 iowastate

@Spinnerweb said:

Happy Eid.

where I love the only people I know of who celebrates Ramadan is the family who run the tobacco shop down the street and they keep a low profile about religion