Dog sentenced to death in Tennessee because he is 'g@y'

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="tocool340"]And here I thought other animals can't be gayLJS9502_basic
The article says it's for dominance not sex.....

So I've just read...
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tocool340"]And here I thought other animals can't be gaytocool340
The article says it's for dominance not sex.....

So I've just read...

But on a related note, many species of animals can be gay.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] The article says it's for dominance not sex.....tenaka2

So I've just read...

I think bisexual is the better word.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="tocool340"] So I've just read...LJS9502_basic

Well some animals have been observed to be exclusivly gay are you saying that they are actually bisexual? Also how do you know this?

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
Meh, Tennessee has much worse real anti-gay laws
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

Well some animals have been observed to be exclusivly gay are you saying that they are actually bisexual? Also how do you know this?

Because that is what I read on the subject stated.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#57 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

That owner is like those who toss their pets out because "it doesn't go with the theme of my kitchen".

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I think bisexual is the better word.LJS9502_basic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/7735232/Can-animals-be-gay.html

According to Darwin, the sexual impulses of animals are designed to cause reproduction, and are therefore necessarily heterosexual.

But new research suggests homosexual animals often dismissed by biologists as the exceptions that prove the rule may be more common than previously thought.

A study of an albatross colony at the University of Hawaii revealed that one third of the 'couples', who commit to each other for life, consist of two females.

After mating with males, the pairs of females nest with their 'wives' and incubate their eggs together .

The exceptional trend had previously gone unnoticed because male and female albatrosses are virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Behaviour that appears to be gay has been observed in giraffes, butterflies, koalas, dolphins, octopuses and sheep, to name but a few.

Some biologists claim gay animal behaviour has been spotted in 1,500 different species, and reliably recorded in a third of these cases.

According to research, about a fifth of captive king penguins are gay while it is common for male black swans to raise cygnets as a couple possibly to provide better protection.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
The headline is outrageously fallacious. Dailymail has no credibility as a news organization.Laihendi
It's OT. Whatever works to push an agenda
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

gayness is a disease without a cure.. sometimes death is the only option

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

According to Darwin, the sexual impulses of animals are designed to cause reproduction, and are therefore necessarily heterosexual.

But new research suggests homosexual animals often dismissed by biologists as the exceptions that prove the rule may be more common than previously thought.

A study of an albatross colony at the University of Hawaii revealed that one third of the 'couples', who commit to each other for life, consist of two females.

After mating with males, the pairs of females nest with their 'wives' and incubate their eggs together .

The exceptional trend had previously gone unnoticed because male and female albatrosses are virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Behaviour that appears to be gay has been observed in giraffes, butterflies, koalas, dolphins, octopuses and sheep, to name but a few.

Some biologists claim gay animal behaviour has been spotted in 1,500 different species, and reliably recorded in a third of these cases.

According to research, about a fifth of captive king penguins are gay while it is common for male black swans to raise cygnets as a couple possibly to provide better protection.

I think we've evolved a bit since Darwin's day.....

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Because that is what I read on the subject stated.LJS9502_basic

So you read the first line and stopped reading....what a genius

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

wis3boi

No genius I commented on his bringing up of Darwin.....go back under the bridge.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I think we've evolved a bit since Darwin's day.....

LJS9502_basic

No genius I commented on his bringing up of Darwin.....go back under the bridge.

So you jumped at one word while ignoring the rest of the article? Brilliant.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

worlock77

Because I commented on Darwin? He's read is sources....I've read mine...which tend to say some animals are more bisexual than gay I didn't feel the need to comment on what he read. Making assumptions.....brilliant.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 tenaka2

LJS9502_basic

I can't believe you cracked that one :/

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dave123321
And the dog is not being put to death because it may be gay. The owner just abandon him for an idiotic reason. Which is sad and terrible in itself.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 wis3boi

worlock77

What else is new.  Rustling jimmies for the sake of rustling

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No genius I commented on his bringing up of Darwin.....go back under the bridge.wis3boi

For someone who went out of his way to tell everyone he ad blocked my posts....you do go to extremes to comment on them.:lol:
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

LJS9502_basic

For someone who went out of his way to tell everyone he ad blocked my posts....you do go to extremes to comment on them.:lol:

I'm not at home right now, but thanks for your concern

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#71 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I think we've evolved a bit since Darwin's day.....

LJS9502_basic

But the article's mention of Darwin (tenaka didn't bring Darwin up, the article did) was not to imply that Darwin somehow lends credibility to the stance that animals can be homosexual. Darwin was actually arguing that animals, are by neccesity, heterosexual. So Darwin wasn't used to support the point that animals can be homosexual. The article, and by extension, Tenaka, is saying that new evidence has trumped Darwin's original thought.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LJS9502_basic

wis3boi

Doesn't matter....you could still ignore the posts....but you can't seem to do that.:lol:
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No genius I commented on his bringing up of Darwin.....go back under the bridge.LJS9502_basic

Because I commented on Darwin? He's read is sources....I've read mine...which tend to say some animals are more bisexual than gay I didn't feel the need to comment on what he read. Making assumptions.....brilliant.

What was the source that you read?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 dave123321
Stop acting silly everyone. Grow up
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]For someone who went out of his way to tell everyone he ad blocked my posts....you do go to extremes to comment on them.:lol:LJS9502_basic

Doesn't matter....you could still ignore the posts....but you can't seem to do that.:lol:

Hard to ignore the 800lb gorrila in the room waiving his hands around knocking things over while I read

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

But the article's mention of Darwin (tenaka didn't bring Darwin up, the article did) was not to imply that Darwin somehow lends credibility to the stance that animals can be homosexual. Darwin was actually arguing that animals, are by neccesity, heterosexual. So Darwin wasn't used to support the point that animals can be homosexual. The article, and by extension, Tenaka is saying that new evidence has trumped Darwin's original thought.

And? He still is taking a study he read vs one that I read stating that many animals thought to be gay are in fact bisexual. Is bisexuality somehow considered less important than homosexuality? I don't get why all the gnashing of teeth over that word. I thought OT was enlightened on sexual orientation. I guess...just the one orientation then?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No genius I commented on his bringing up of Darwin.....go back under the bridge.LJS9502_basic

If you're not going to bother reading the rather short article he posted then why presume to comment on it?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

If you're not going to bother reading the rather short article he posted then why presume to comment on it?

I read his post. Stop assuming.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Because I commented on Darwin? He's read is sources....I've read mine...which tend to say some animals are more bisexual than gay I didn't feel the need to comment on what he read. Making assumptions.....brilliant.

LJS9502_basic

Then why not comment on the article rather than knee-jerk reacting at one word (which wasn't even his word like you assumed, but perhaps you'd realize that if you read the article)?

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#80 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts
That is not even funny.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Then why not comment on the article rather than knee-jerk reacting at one word (which wasn't even his word like you assumed, but perhaps you'd realize that if you read the article)?

I explained that already...and to you. :| As I said what I've read said something different than what he read. I'm not going to get involved in arguing what the U of Hawaii states over other sources I've read. It just wasn't that important to me. Must be to you though....
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

But the article's mention of Darwin (tenaka didn't bring Darwin up, the article did) was not to imply that Darwin somehow lends credibility to the stance that animals can be homosexual. Darwin was actually arguing that animals, are by neccesity, heterosexual. So Darwin wasn't used to support the point that animals can be homosexual. The article, and by extension, Tenaka is saying that new evidence has trumped Darwin's original thought.

And? He still is taking a study he read vs one that I read stating that many animals thought to be gay are in fact bisexual. Is bisexuality somehow considered less important than homosexuality? I don't get why all the gnashing of teeth over that word. I thought OT was enlightened on sexual orientation. I guess...just the one orientation then?

He is not taking on a study that you read because you haven't actually posted a study.

Saying that "we've evolved a bit since Darwin's day" seems to imply that tenaka was somehow using Darwin as a way to bolster his arguments. In fact, the article he cited makes that very point. :?

Who said that bisexuality was less important than homosexuality? That claim was not made.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I read his post. Stop assuming.LJS9502_basic

I explained that already...and to you. :| As I said what I've read said something different than what he read. I'm not going to get involved in arguing what the U of Hawaii states over other sources I've read. It just wasn't that important to me. Must be to you though....

It's not particularly important to me, but we're on a public forum, the purpose of which is the exchange of comments and ideas. Thus I'm commenting on your post. Surely you can grasp that much at least.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

He is not taking on a study that you read because you haven't actually posted a study.

Saying that "we've evolved a bit since Darwin's day" seems to imply that tenaka was somehow using Darwin as a way to bolster his arguments. In fact, the article he cited makes that very point. :?

Who said that bisexuality was less important than homosexuality? That claim was not made.

Then why argue over animals being homosexual rather than bisexual? There are some animals yes that seem to stick with a same sex partner. But many animals observed engaging in homosexual...if that word fits with animals....also engage in heterosexual behavior....which would make them bisexual or equal opportunity I guess. As for what I've read.....I didn't exactly bookmark it and don't think it's worth hunting right now. It was a mere observation to his comment about gay animals. I just said bisexual could be a better word. I did reread his initial post and I have another complaint with it...he said many species of gay animals which would mean the species was gay...rather than many species have gay animals. Anyway.....my point stands. I still think that bisexual is a better word with some exceptions.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

It's not particularly important to me, but we're on a public forum, the purpose of which is the exchange of comments and ideas. Thus I'm commenting on your post. Surely you can grasp that much at least.

Yes but you can't seem to grasp what I tell you when I tell you it. And as such...it's not a very entertaining conversation. I dismissed the majority of his post because I don't necessarily disagree with it. He read what he read. Bravo. Why should I have to argue with that? I still think the bisexuality is a better fit for much of the behavior in animals with as I said some exceptions.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LJS9502_basic

Here is one such study that prefers the term bisexual....

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And? He still is taking a study he read vs one that I read stating that many animals thought to be gay are in fact bisexual. Is bisexuality somehow considered less important than homosexuality? I don't get why all the gnashing of teeth over that word. I thought OT was enlightened on sexual orientation. I guess...just the one orientation then?LJS9502_basic

Then why argue over animals being homosexual rather than bisexual? There are some animals yes that seem to stick with a same sex partner. But many animals observed engaging in homosexual...if that word fits with animals....also engage in heterosexual behavior....which would make them bisexual or equal opportunity I guess. As for what I've read.....I didn't exactly bookmark it and don't think it's worth hunting right now. It was a mere observation to his comment about gay animals. I just said bisexual could be a better word. I did reread his initial post and I have another complaint with it...he said many species of gay animals which would mean the species was gay...rather than many species have gay animals. Anyway.....my point stands. I still think that bisexual is a better word with some exceptions.

Well, if you're not going to link the study, then there's not really any reason to believe bisexual is a better word.

The bolded problem seems like a semantics squibble and the article does not actually refer to many species of gay animals. It's pretty clear that the article was talking about gay members of a species, which is evidenced by its use of measurements such as "one fifth" and "one third."

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And? He still is taking a study he read vs one that I read stating that many animals thought to be gay are in fact bisexual. Is bisexuality somehow considered less important than homosexuality? I don't get why all the gnashing of teeth over that word. I thought OT was enlightened on sexual orientation. I guess...just the one orientation then?LJS9502_basic

Well, if you're not going to link the study, then there's not really any reason to believe bisexual is a better word.

The bolded problem seems like a semantics squibble and the article does not actually refer to many species of gay animals. It's pretty clear that the article was talking about gay members of a species, which is evidenced by its use of measurements such as "one fifth" and "one third."

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

Double post?:P I linked a study above....
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Stop acting silly everyone. Grow updave123321

mhm, I doubt most people in OT actually read the article before posting.

This isn't as bad as people make it to seem; the owner thought the dog was gay and abandoned him. It's being put down because the shelter can't afford to keep the dog around, and unless someone adopts the dog he's being put to sleep.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Did anyone point out that this is from the Daily Mail :?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Then why argue over animals being homosexual rather than bisexual? There are some animals yes that seem to stick with a same sex partner. But many animals observed engaging in homosexual...if that word fits with animals....also engage in heterosexual behavior....which would make them bisexual or equal opportunity I guess. As for what I've read.....I didn't exactly bookmark it and don't think it's worth hunting right now. It was a mere observation to his comment about gay animals. I just said bisexual could be a better word. I did reread his initial post and I have another complaint with it...he said many species of gay animals which would mean the species was gay...rather than many species have gay animals. Anyway.....my point stands. I still think that bisexual is a better word with some exceptions.LJS9502_basic

I see the article now.

I'm scanning it and it seems to me that the article doesn't so much support the position that bisexuality is a better term so much as it acknowledges both bisexuality and homosexuality in animals species.

Edit: never mind. It does seem to prefer the term bisexual.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Novotine"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

America is so classy right now.

Aljosa23

I just don't consider certain states to be American.

385850585_ed71a5d716_z.jpg

The funny part of that graphic is all the blue states have the highest murder rates.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

I see the article now.

I'm scanning it and it seems to me that the article doesn't so much support the position that bisexuality is a better term so much as it acknowledges both bisexuality and homosexuality in animals species.

Not quite. Read the entire article. Unlike most humans, however, individual animals generally cannot be classified as gay or straight: an animal that engages in a same-sex flirtation or partnership does not necessarily shun heterosexual encounters. Rather many species seem to have ingrained homosexual tendencies that are a regular part of their society. That is, there are probably no strictly gay critters, just bisexual ones. "Animals don't do sexual identity. They just do sex," says sociologist Eric Anderson of the University of Bath in England. This isn't one of the initial articles I read by the way so it's not an isolated idea.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 dave123321
Did anyone point out that this is from the Daily Mail :?blue_hazy_basic
you can be assured that a source will be attacked or reasonably questioned in any OT thread
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#96 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Did anyone point out that this is from the Daily Mail :?dave123321
you can be assured that a source will be attacked in any OT thread

good, didn't see that mentioned on the first page!
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

385850585_ed71a5d716_z.jpg

Aljosa23

Looks about right. Would rather be in Canada than Dumbf*ckinstan. :P Especially since I'm a minority. 

Canada = Notgonnagetlynched/10

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Double post?:P I linked a study above....LJS9502_basic

I see the article now.

Not quite. Read the entire article. Unlike most humans, however, individual animals generally cannot be classified as gay or straight: an animal that engages in a same-sex flirtation or partnership does not necessarily shun heterosexual encounters. Rather many species seem to have ingrained homosexual tendencies that are a regular part of their society. That is, there are probably no strictly gay critters, just bisexual ones. "Animals don't do sexual identity. They just do sex," says sociologist Eric Anderson of the University of Bath in England. This isn't one of the initial articles I read by the way so it's not an isolated idea.

I saw that paragraph shortly after I had posted, so I edited my post. You're right. It does prefer the term bisexual. 

I can't read the article in very much detail right now because I'm getting ready to take the GRE exam.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LJS9502_basic
Edit: never mind. It does seem to prefer the term bisexual. GreySeal9
Saw this after my post.:P
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]Edit: never mind. It does seem to prefer the term bisexual. LJS9502_basic
Saw this after my post.:P

I definitely should have read the article from top to bottom.

I kind of just scanned it since I'm about to head out to take the GRE exam.