Dog help, dog wont stop peeing and pooping in cage

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 0

#1 ct1257860
Member since 2006 • 4441 Posts

Ok guys so i have a major problem, my beachon frise is now 5 years old and still wont stop peeing and crapping in the crate. We have tried trainors and all that nothing works. Hes not dumb because he will sit on command, lay down, and give me his paw. But he THINKS hes supposed to crap and pee in the cage. Why i say that is because when hes out the cage and has to pee or crap he will run into the cage to do it. Everymorning i have to wash the tray because his crap is smooshed and theres a puddle of pee.

I've already tried -

1. Making the cage smaller

2. Putting his nose in it and yelling at him

3. Changing foods

4. Not caging him at all, just putting a bed( he would crap and pee on the ground)

5.Put the bed in the crate, he crapped on the bed.

6. Put towles in the crate

7. Took out towels from the crate

What can we do? We cant bring him up stairs no more because hes covered in poop and pee and this problem is just ruining everything. Any ideas im desperate!?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I dont know. My dog is dumb as hell but he doesnt go to the bathroom inside. Take him out on regular basis and give him a treat or positive attention when he goes outside.
xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

If you tried trainers and they couldn't help, I doubt anyone here will be much help.

Dogs typically dont go to the bathroom where they sleep, so I'm not sure how to get it to stop.

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ct1257860

If you tried trainers and they couldn't help, I doubt anyone here will be much help.

Dogs typically dont go to the bathroom where they sleep, so I'm not sure how to get it to stop.

xLFTMx
Right, thats whats so mind bottling, also i do take him out all the time. For example last night i took him out at 12:30 till 1 in the morning, put him in the cage, got up at 8 and he crapped and peed in the cage.
TaigaTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TaigaTiger
Member since 2009 • 660 Posts

take him outside when he needs to poop and pee... at least that`s how i`ve trained my dogs

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

How often do you take him out to relieve himself? Our poodle had problems going to the bathroom, but it was out of anxiety when he was left alone. Taking him outside regularly throughout the day and praising him was enough for us, but trainers couldn't help you, you might have to read through some training books or something.

Edit: You responded while I was writing this, so disregard the question :O

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Blow that annoying whistle when he does it. Just be around when it happens.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
do what bruce almighty did..
ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ct1257860

How often do you take him out to relieve himself? Our poodle had problems going to the bathroom, but it was out of anxiety when he was left alone. Taking him outside regularly throughout the day and praising him was enough for us, but trainers couldn't help you, you might have to read through some training books or something.

Edit: You responded while I was writing this, so disregard the question :O

Enid_Green
haha thanks anyhow man, any other ideas? this has been going on for 5 years!
Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Enid_Green

He's not sick or anything is he?

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Isn't 5 kinda old to be changing a dog's behavior? I think you're stuck.

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ct1257860

Isn't 5 kinda old to be changing a dog's behavior? I think you're stuck.

Oleg_Huzwog
We been trying ever since we got him :/
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

take him outside when he needs to poop and pee... at least that`s how i`ve trained my dogs

TaigaTiger

This, if you see him trying to use the bathroom in his cage take him outside and keep him out there until he goes. When he does, encourage/reward him. Since he doesn't seem to be learning from punishing him, try reinforcing the good behaviors.

debusentel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 debusentel
Member since 2006 • 1792 Posts

How old was the dog when you got him? I've had German Shepard's my whole life and my oldest one now had that issue for the first year I had him. It took a lot to break him out of it. Try some pepperoni sticks to use as treats when you take him out. When he does his business give him one and make a big deal out of it, like petting and talking nicely, etc... When he doesn't go while outside DON'T give him one but make sure he knows you have them. If you can do this every two hours for about a month straight. Make sure you emphasize the reward heavily though to make him feel happy. Most dogs don't like to disappoint, let alone crap in their crate. This should work but you have to really work at.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Put the mutt outside. He'll get used to crapping there. Also, I can't help but notice a similarity between our signatures. Is yours based on the same image?
WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

This is how we were told with our puppy. 2 hours in the cage, then take him to our backyard with a leash and show him where to go to the bathroom, then you can take him off the leash and let him run around, and that should only be for 15-20 minutes. But that's when he was a few week old puppy. It may be too late for a 5 year old dog. If trainers haven't been able to do it, then I don't know what would work.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Enid_Green

You can teach an old dog new tricks.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
I would keep him out of the cage until he is forced to go else where. Reward him when he does...
hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

Why do you even have a dog if you're going to keep it in a cage?

debusentel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 debusentel
Member since 2006 • 1792 Posts

Why do you even have a dog if you're going to keep it in a cage?

hyrueprince11

I think he's talking about a crate just for bed time. I have two crates for my dogs that they go in when it's time for bed. I dont even have to close the doors but if it were up to me they would sleep at the foot of the bed but the wife aint havin that. She says their to big.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
First of all, shoving his face in it or yelling at him is not helping. He's obviously not house trained properly. It sounds like he was trained/trained himself to use that one spot, you say yourself that he thinks that's where he's supposed to go. He sounds like a cat with a litterbox. Teach him from scratch to do his business outside. It seems like you're taking him outside, but he doesn't understand WHY. He thinks it's just a routine going-outside thing, not "Okay, bathroom time". If all else fails and he refuses to go outside despite proper training, then just make the crate a litter box.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]First of all, shoving his face in it or yelling at him is not helping. He's obviously not house trained properly. It sounds like he was trained/trained himself to use that one spot, you say yourself that he thinks that's where he's supposed to go. He sounds like a cat with a litterbox. Teach him from scratch to do his business outside. It seems like you're taking him outside, but he doesn't understand WHY. He thinks it's just a routine going-outside thing, not "Okay, bathroom time". If all else fails and he refuses to go outside despite proper training, then just make the crate a litter box.

This! remember TC, give him treats when he finally poop/pee outside. treats, treats, treats.
jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

He's obviously just getting nervous at night since you're not with him. Let him sleep in your bed tonight with you 8)

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
This sounds like a job for this guy  Seriously you might be on TV and your problem would be solved Can it get better?
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

For starters, why is he kept in his crate all day?

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

Taken him to a vet?

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 YellowOneKinobi

Although it takes a little bit of an investment of time, I found a way that has always worked for training my dogs.

I set up an area near the entrance to the house where I keep the dog and I stay there with him for an entire weekend (longer if you have a long weekend). Get comfortable, bring your laptop or a tv or whatever. Just stay there with him the entire time and every singe time he gets "that look" in his eyes like he is about to do his business, grab him and get him outside IMMEDIATELY!!! Once he goes outside SHOWER him with treats and positive feedback. Dogs aim to please, and I'm sure he'll pick it up in no time at all.

Good Luck. Also, I would urge you to reconsider keeping him caged all the time, dogs arent meant to be kept like that.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
hard for older dogs to learn what you didn't get right early on, you might just have to put up with it now, maybe have them sleep in the bed next to you then maybe they won't do that
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
its too late
rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts

Ok guys so i have a major problem, my beachon frise is now 5 years old and still wont stop peeing and crapping in the crate. We have tried trainors and all that nothing works. Hes not dumb because he will sit on command, lay down, and give me his paw. But he THINKS hes supposed to crap and pee in the cage. Why i say that is because when hes out the cage and has to pee or crap he will run into the cage to do it. Everymorning i have to wash the tray because his crap is smooshed and theres a puddle of pee.

I've already tried -

3. Changing foods

4. Not caging him at all, just putting a bed( he would crap and pee on the ground)

5.Put the bed in the crate, he crapped on the bed.

6. Put towles in the crate

7. Took out towels from the crate

What can we do? We cant bring him up stairs no more because hes covered in poop and pee and this problem is just ruining everything. Any ideas im desperate!?

ct1257860

These two are mistakes already, is when he start going to the bathroom pick him up and take him outside.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="rcafan"]

[QUOTE="ct1257860"]

I've already tried -

These two are mistakes already, is when he start going to the bathroom pick him up and take him outside.

To that end, you do know that a dog's short term memory is about 60 seconds, right? Approaching him beyond that and sticking his face in it does nothing but torment the poor fella.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

you are going to have a tough time because your big ally in this is the dog being bothered by having poop and pee on it and at this point it does not bother him the way it should.

normally i would sit down and ask you about 2 dozen questions to get to the root of the problem but here are some general rules.

1. you are going to start over from scratch just as if this was an 8 to 10 week old puppy.

2. you are never going to punish this dog for having an accident ever again you are only going to ignore what he does wrong and praise what he does right.

3. scrub the crate out from top to bottom with a brush and soap and water outside then hose it off. (or buy a new one)

4. apply one of the enzyme type odor removers let dry then reapply it and let that dry.

5. you are going to take it to the vet and make sure this is not a medical problem.

6. you are never going to let the dog have one unsupervised second, he needs to in your line of sight at all times.

7. you are going to not give the dog water or food for two hours before bedtime.

8. you are going to set your alarm clock and get up every 2 or 3 hours for a potty break.

9. on the potty break you will take the dog to the same spot in the yard wait quietly.

10. if nothing happens return him to his crate. if he pottys you immediately give him a high value treat like something he never normally gets like sliced deli turkey or whatever, it needs to be something better than he ever normally gets. don't go overboard on the praise a simple good boy is fine.

11. if you free feed the dog that has to end, he needs to have structured meal times thatare the same everyday.

12. get everyone on board in the family for this, the training needs to be consistent.

this will not be an easy fix but it can be fixed.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Dogs will learn not to do something if you tell them not to do it so catching him in the act and telling him off will help, but then he doesn't know where he CAN defaecate. Treating him heavily for going outside will show him thats what you want him to do and eventually this will work.......either that or get some Mexican guy off the TV to tell you the same thing :)
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
does he sleep in the crate at night? instinctually a dog tends to not do his business where he sleeps so this is strange. how often do you take him out during the day/night? you might need to get on a regular schedule ( every hour or 2 ) for a while where you're taking him out often so that he knows he should be going outside and not inside. does he drink a lot during the day? at night? also, is the crate he sleeps in isolated from the rest of the family?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

you are going to have a tough time because your big ally in this is the dog being bothered by having poop and pee on it and at this point it does not bother him the way it should.

normally i would sit down and ask you about 2 dozen questions to get to the root of the problem but here are some general rules.

1. you are going to start over from scratch just as if this was an 8 to 10 week old puppy.

2. you are never going to punish this dog for having an accident ever again you are only going to ignore what he does wrong and praise what he does right.

3. scrub the crate out from top to bottom with a brush and soap and water outside then hose it off. (or buy a new one)

4. apply one of the enzyme type odor removers let dry then reapply it and let that dry.

5. you are going to take it to the vet and make sure this is not a medical problem.

6. you are never going to let the dog have one unsupervised second, he needs to in your line of sight at all times.

7. you are going to not give the dog water or food for two hours before bedtime.

8. you are going to set your alarm clock and get up every 2 or 3 hours for a potty break.

9. on the potty break you will take the dog to the same spot in the yard wait quietly.

10. if nothing happens return him to his crate. if he pottys you immediately give him a high value treat like something he never normally gets like sliced deli turkey or whatever, it needs to be something better than he ever normally gets. don't go overboard on the praise a simple good boy is fine.

11. if you free feed the dog that has to end, he needs to have structured meal times thatare the same everyday.

12. get everyone on board in the family for this, the training needs to be consistent.

this will not be an easy fix but it can be fixed.

Riverwolf007
best advice so far.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

Take him outside and tie him up. Then take a huge dump on the lawn next to him. Do this enough times, and your dog may get the idea.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

You're probably not letting him outside enough. Let him outside for a good amount of time a few times a day. When you see him releving himself (or about to) take him outside. Keep doing this and be consistent about it. He'll get the idea. And for god's sake don't yell at him or rub his nose in it. That only torments him and does nothing to give him any idea of what he's doing wrong or what he's suppose to do instead. Use positive re-enforcement, not punishment.

livingundead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 livingundead
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

I'm probably not the best person for advice on dogs beacuase I've had my own problems.

A couple things; how does your dog act after he does his business in the cage. Does he look happy or embarassed? It's really easy to tell. If he looks embarassed then he knows he's done something wrong. If he looks happy it probably means that's what he knows, and it's not really his fault. He thinks he's doing what he is supposed to.

Raising your voice helps. Yelling usually just scares the animal and makes things worse (When my dad yells at my dog he'll 'widdle' all over). A stern 'NO' or 'BAD' is better. I've also said no, or bad, and followed it with a flick or a smack across the nose. I know physical abuse on animals is wrong, but I don't beat my pets - it's a disciplinary tactic. It worked on me as a child, why wouldn't it work on an animal?

Ummm, some other things? Maybe get a new crate. The way I look at it is he's accustomed to doing his business in it and its essential his kitty litter. Or, even better, spend some money on a dog house, and get a kennel for him so he can be outside. Maybe he'll learn to do his business there.

The kennel may not work, I tried it with my border collie and she was terrified of it, so be prepared. She liked her dog house though.

What are you feeding your dog (wet? dry? brand?)? Are you consitently feeding him the same thing, or different foods? That could be a problem. Maybe pay a little more for better quality.

I'd say you should get some advice from a vet first.

I'm not saying you're a bad owner or anything, but I think negligence is one of the issues. I encountered the same problem with one of my dogs. I also know from other people that if the dog seems like it'll be a misfit than owners will treat it that way. If your dog has had this problem for five years than your family probably treats it as if it's a burden. Mine did. Don't let it happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know much about dogs other than experience. (Beware TL:DR)

I've had four dogs in my lifetime (two as a toddler - springer spaniels) and a border-collie sheppard cross and a border-collie sheppard golden retriever. The border-collie sheppard had to be tied up at all times. She was dangerous, and unstable - amazingly smart though (we got he when she was six months old - free). Her owner was a goat farmer and would beat her endlessly as a puppy with steel-toe boots because she'd kill the goats. The way she acted was similar to a wild dog or coyote. She was so vicious I saw her swim out into the middle of a lake and attack a flock of Canada geese. Anyway, she wouldn't come, she knew her name, but didn't want to, and had a tedency to attack people. Surprisingly good with little kids though. The problem with her was my family didn't give her enough attention. I tried my best to though. If my and I were less negligent I'm sure we could have, maybe not fixed her, but made her feel more comfortable, and wanted (we trained her to sit, roll over, play dead, shake hands, but she wouldn't come when she was called and she was very difficult to walk. She had potty issues at the start, but it was more anxiety). She didn't like being inside much, so we kept her outside as much as humanely possible (I'd say 75% of spring/summer and 35% during winter she was outside).

My newest dog is fairly well trained. He was the runt of my border-collie's puppies. He was born a day after the others, and died twice (she had puppies at like 12 years old). He was rejected instantly so my sisters and mom trained him right away. His only issues are anxiety around strangers and over excitement when (think Dino from Flintstones) someone comes home. He comes when he is called, and does all kinds of tricks. My parents complained he is too strong to walk. I started walking him, and withing two weeks had him walking and not trying to lead. I even got him looking both ways before crossing. But he's fat. i can't get my parents to stop feeding him off the table. And because of that he thinks getting into the garbage is ok, because he gests scrapes and that's where the scraps are.

rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts

[QUOTE="rcafan"]

[QUOTE="ct1257860"]

I've already tried -

YellowOneKinobi

To that end, you do know that a dog's short term memory is about 60 seconds, right? Approaching him beyond that and sticking his face in it does nothing but torment the poor fella.

first off i really could care less any person who trains should know the right way to train a dog. second the dog could of done something right and he now thinks its wrong. you got to give me that link i never heard of that one.

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

Litterbox and/or pee-pad train your dog, the same as you would a cat... When he pees, dry it with a pee-pad (so it gets the scent) and put it somewhere he can easily reach it... With the scent of his pee on it, he will think "hmm I pee'd here before, might as well again"... and will begin peeing on the pee-pad...

Same with litterboxes if you want to go that route... When he poops, carefully and non-grossly get it into the litter box somewhere and keep it in sight... He will eventually get the idea that if he wants to poop, he should do it there...

Every step of the way through this you need punishment and reward... When he uses the box/pee-pad... Reward him with a treat... When he doesn't chastise him and let him know it is bad, but also point out the box/pee-pad so he gets the idea that is where what he just did should be done...

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

You keep your dog in a cage? :?

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 YellowOneKinobi

Pirate700
That was EXACTLY my first reaction. I truly don't understand why some people get dogs in the first place.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Riverwolf007

Litterbox and/or pee-pad train your dog, the same as you would a cat... When he pees, dry it with a pee-pad (so it gets the scent) and put it somewhere he can easily reach it... With the scent of his pee on it, he will think "hmm I pee'd here before, might as well again"... and will begin peeing on the pee-pad...

Same with litterboxes if you want to go that route... When he poops, carefully and non-grossly get it into the litter box somewhere and keep it in sight... He will eventually get the idea that if he wants to poop, he should do it there...

Every step of the way through this you need punishment and reward... When he uses the box/pee-pad... Reward him with a treat... When he doesn't chastise him and let him know it is bad, but also point out the box/pee-pad so he gets the idea that is where what he just did should be done...

Buttons1990

i wish i could get people out this punishment mode that they are so into.

your advice is decient but instead of punishment just ignore the things you don't like.

i won't say positve punishment (positive punishment = the addition of an aversive) has no place in dog training but i don't think an average owner should ever do it because there is too much potential to screw it up.

ignoring a behavior is known in the dog training community as negative reinforcement. (the removal of something positive)in this case you are removing your attention which is something the dog craves.

dogs want attention so much that just like children they may do something that gets them attention even though it's something that you don't like.

in many dog cases even getting yelled at is better than nothing.

i don't mean to specifically call you out on anything here because you seem to know more than most folks but it's just that your advice is so sound right up until you get to the part about punishment that you are a great example of how the punishment idea has taken root when people need to stay away from it.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Enid_Green

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

YellowOneKinobi

That was EXACTLY my first reaction. I truly don't understand why some people get dogs in the first place.

Because not everyone wants their house completely covered in excrement when they come back from a two hour trip?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Riverwolf007

Pirate700

it's a crate, dogs are denning animals and if you introduce the crate correctly they love them.

they can't help but like them the are genetically predisposed to it.

a crate to a dog is like supermans fortress of solitude, it's where they go to get away from things and rest.

i consider not having one for them the cruel thing.

if you do it right after a short time you never even close it up. the crate for my dogs have not been shut in over a year.

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
i had one of those dogs - they are very smart first of all : CAGE??? why the *beep* do u have a cage??? when getting a puppy u need to take the puppy out basically every 15 minutes for them to do their business once it gets older it will take longer in between, usually after 3 or 4 hours between u need to take it on a walk some take longer to learn it but 5 years is just too much, does it show any stress symptoms? and did u get it as a puppy and did it right from the start? also that race is very very smart and can learn way more tricks and for being such a small dog it needs alot of walking and stuff to simulate the brain, agility is usually good for it, and toys where it needs to open stuff to reach the treat
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="Enid_Green"]

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Because not everyone wants their house completely covered in excrement when they come back from a two hour trip?

So either train your dog or, if you can't be responsible enough for that........ DON'T GET A DOG!
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Enid_Green

I have owned many dogs in my life. None of them have I ever kept caged in my house. And never have I once had this problem.

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ct1257860

Thank you guys i really got a lot of information! Thanks for those whole helped i read every comment! We only cage him when were not home or sleeping because he may crap or pee on the floor. But im going to try what some of you said, i will praise him when he goes outside and give a stern no if he goes in the cage. And keep checking every 2 hours then keep pushing it back and so fourth.