Does resorting to physical discipline on your kids make you a bad parent?

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

No they can't. Force can create total subservience due to a paralyzing fear of retribution, but that's not the same as respect and trust.

theone86

Exactly. This is why I oppose authoritarian parenting.

Punishment and reward make children meek and selfish, not assertive and unselfish. I agree that children should be prevented from touching hot stoves, beating up other kids, etc. but those actions don't merit punishment. Nor does helping out someone else merit some material reward.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

No, if you do it constantly yes.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

No they can't. Force can create total subservience due to a paralyzing fear of retribution, but that's not the same as respect and trust.

ghoklebutter

Exactly. This is why I oppose authoritarian parenting.

Punishment and reward make children meek and selfish, not assertive and unselfish. I agree that children should be prevented from touching hot stoves, beating up other kids, etc. but those actions don't merit punishment. Nor does helping out someone else merit some material reward.

Well, reinforcement is the universally accepted form of discipline. It doesn't always have to be positive reinforcement (giving a child a gift or treat for doing a good thing), it can be negative reinforcement (time out can be viewed as an example of this, you put them in an uncomfortable situation and then remove them from that situation if they have behaved themselves). Reinforcement is also most effective when it is random (this is why slots are so addicting, because reinforcement of pulling the lever happens randomly instead of on a fixed or constant interval).

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="theone86"] [QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] [QUOTE="theone86"] No they can't. Force can create total subservience due to a paralyzing fear of retribution, but that's not the same as respect and trust.

Exactly. This is why I oppose authoritarian parenting. Punishment and reward make children meek and selfish, not assertive and unselfish. I agree that children should be prevented from touching hot stoves, beating up other kids, etc. but those actions don't merit punishment. Nor does helping out someone else merit some material reward.

Well, reinforcement is the universally accepted form of discipline. It doesn't always have to be positive reinforcement (giving a child a gift or treat for doing a good thing), it can be negative reinforcement (time out can be viewed as an example of this, you put them in an uncomfortable situation and then remove them from that situation if they have behaved themselves). Reinforcement is also most effective when it is random (this is why slots are so addicting, because reinforcement of pulling the lever happens randomly instead of on a fixed or constant interval).

I take it one step further. I only accept reinforcement for very young children who tend to ignore their parents' wishes. Obviously, reasoning with such kids is fruitless. It really depends on the child, but I'm just generally averse to the idea of positive and negative reinforcement.
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
It depends on how drunk you are.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

No, as long as the parent makes sure to explain to the child the reason he or she is being spanked.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

No, as long as the parent makes sure to explain to the child the reason he or she is being spanked.

soulless4now

This...I don't think spanking a child is bad at all. Matter of fact, I look at it as reinforcing a point. I hope I never have to resort to it though.

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#58 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
It depends on how drunk you are.Jazz_Fan
At that point, I think it's not safe...
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I would dare to say there really isn't much debate here. It's been proven that hitting your children can have lasting phycological effects that will probably follow them into adulthood. If you children are out of control it's pretty much your fault unless they have a disability or something.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

nope it doesn't Not hitting ones kids thus using negative reinforcement when they do something bad is the reason we have so many useless hippies and liberals now whom are so worried about P.C that the world is falling apart.

Its simple humans are animals no matter their higher brain function, when an animal does something bad you punish it they are less likely to do that thing, they do something good you rewards them they are more likely to do that thing its simple logic and common sense if a child needs to be punished then punish them dont be all PC and such.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

with how kids act these days a good might open hand slap to the face will wake them up

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ghoklebutter

nope it doesn't Not hitting ones kids thus using negative reinforcement when they do something bad is the reason we have so many useless hippies and liberals now whom are so worried about P.C that the world is falling apart.

Its simple humans are animals no matter their higher brain function, when an animal does something bad you punish it they are less likely to do that thing, they do something good you rewards them they are more likely to do that thing its simple logic and common sense if a child needs to be punished then punish them dont be all PC and such.

WilliamRLBaker

It's not about political correctness. Reward-and-punishment parenting is fundamentally irrational and makes kids have selfish motives later in life. After all, isn't someone who helps others just to avoid trouble selfish?

Motives matter, too; external behavior is meaningless without good reasons for behavior.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I was spanked, slapped a few times, and kicked once and I turned out fine, I'm on deans list twice and I can hold two jobs. My youngest brother who obviously got less of that because he was younger when the whole thing stopped is now and idiot and pain in the @$$ and me and my other brother are the ones that have to resort to giving him a whack when he's being a pain. My dad's fine with it though, my mom on the other hand hates it. I remember one time my dad told me to teach him math because he clearly wasn't trying. We went into my dad's office and I took out a rubber band. Everytime he got a problem wrong I gave him a snap in the back of the neck with the rubber band, let's just say he tried harder.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#64 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
You shouldn't ever hit your children, it teachers them to be scared and fearful of you.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

ghoklebutter

It's not about political correctness. Reward-and-punishment parenting is fundamentally irrational and makes kids have selfish motives later in life. After all, isn't someone who helps others just to avoid trouble selfish?

Motives matter, too; external behavior is meaningless without good reasons for behavior.

wow what bs. if your child needs to be punished, than punish them. such liberal propaganda.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

You shouldn't ever hit your children, it teachers them to be scared and fearful of you.JasonDarksavior

isnt that the point of physical disipline? so to keep the kids in line when they have done something wrong?

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#67 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]You shouldn't ever hit your children, it teachers them to be scared and fearful of you.punkpunker

isnt that the point of physical disipline? so to keep the kids in line when they have done something wrong?

I really hope not. I never thought of physical discipline that way. I thought people hit their kids to try and get them in line but to be scared of you. It would be pretty damn horrible I imagine to be scared of your parents.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]You shouldn't ever hit your children, it teachers them to be scared and fearful of you.JasonDarksavior

I really hope not. I never thought of physical discipline that way. I thought people hit their kids to try and get them in line but to be scared of you. It would be pretty damn horrible I imagine to be scared of your parents.

It's not nearly as bad as you may presume, but that kind of parenting is still flawed because it encourages selfish motives.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

It's not nearly as bad as you may presume, but that kind of parenting is still flawed because it encourages selfish motives.ghoklebutter

if one parent has gone too far then yes.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]It's not nearly as bad as you may presume, but that kind of parenting is still flawed because it encourages selfish motives.punkpunker

if one parent has gone too far then yes.

Of course, I didn't mean to say that making kids afraid of you is always benign. My bad.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"][QUOTE="punkpunker"]

ghoklebutter

It's not nearly as bad as you may presume, but that kind of parenting is still flawed because it encourages selfish motives.

Again, that's not entirely accurate. Maybe in some isolated cases that has happened, but you shouldn't generalize.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"] I really hope not. I never thought of physical discipline that way. I thought people hit their kids to try and get them in line but to be scared of you. It would be pretty damn horrible I imagine to be scared of your parents.Nibroc420

Again, that's not entirely accurate. Maybe in some isolated cases that has happened, but you shouldn't generalize.

If you teach a kid to behave nicely just for the sake of avoiding pain and gaining pleasure through obedience, you will make him or her selfish to a significant extent.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] It's not nearly as bad as you may presume, but that kind of parenting is still flawed because it encourages selfish motives.ghoklebutter

If you teach a kid to behave nicely just for the sake of avoiding pain and gaining pleasure through obedience, you will make him or her selfish to a significant extent.

You're now twisting the reasoning behind the punishment to fit the end result. It's like saying 100% of drivers cause accidents, then adding the clause of "if they're so drunk they cant walk or see"
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
You should not need to. You should train them like you would a dog when they are young.
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

You should not need to. You should train them like you would a dog when they are young. weezyfb

Hit them with a rolled up newspaper when they are bad.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with spanking your kids but I also don't think kids should work in coal mines, so maybe it really is for the best in the future.

noscope-ak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 noscope-ak47
Member since 2012 • 1318 Posts

Did not read all the replies but here is my 2 cents. I would rather not but when all else fails and you need to correct a nagative behavior in your child then yes.

Avatar image for invisibletearsx
invisibletearsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 invisibletearsx
Member since 2009 • 997 Posts

Preferably not. There are other ways to control your kids.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Nibroc420

Preferably not. There are other ways to control your kids.

invisibletearsx
yeah, you can drink your milk with a spoon too. I prefer a straw, or to simply sip it out of the glass. Likewise, there's no better parenting method than physical discipline.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#80 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Of course not. Raising children with a complete lack of discipline so they're almost unable to function at anything but the lowest level of society - that's being a bad parent. People physically disciplined their children for thousands of years before these self-proclaimed "experts" came along in the 1960's with their tough-feely ideas, totally unsupported by any sort of research, and for some unimaginable reason people took that nonsense seriously.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Make sure they don't scream and all is well.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
I wouldn't hit a child but my little brother is 8 and I have had a big hand in raising him. I am the only one he respects in the family out of me, my mom, and his dad. I never hit, but when he gets me angry he gets afraid. I will grab him by his arm and put him in timeout so viciously. Me and him are so close, like best friends, but he knows not to disrespect me. I'm 19 btw.
King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 King-Kai
Member since 2012 • 934 Posts

I think that physical discipline is fine so as long as it doesn't result in injuries. Physical pain is a good deterrent for bad behavior, especially at young ages when children are too young to understand the moral concepts behind the forbidden nature of certain behaviors.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts
What if my child says to his teacher that i spanked him, do they call child services on me?
noscope-ak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 noscope-ak47

What if my child says to his teacher that i spanked him, do they call child services on me?Second_Hokage

They can but they better be able to prove it or risk their job. Not everybodyis cut out to be a parent and some do abuse their children. Most parents are hard working decent people that compete with many negative influences. Kids are easily influenced and can do stupid things without the experience to understand the harm in the new behavior. I gave my kids the option get smart or get strong and would PT them.

StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 StRaItJaCkEt36
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
yeah pretty much
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Children do not have the reasoning skills to be reasoned with.
StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 StRaItJaCkEt36
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
Children do not have the reasoning skills to be reasoned with. DaBrainz
Sure, they do. You just have to know how to get on their level.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#89 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Heck no. I got my azz beat for being a prick of a child. It's all part of raising a child. I believe in punishing your kid the way you want, but there is a line that parent shouldnt cross.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Children do not have the reasoning skills to be reasoned with. StRaItJaCkEt36

Exactly. And it's not like kids are unreasonable throughout their entire childhood.
noscope-ak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 noscope-ak47

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Children do not have the reasoning skills to be reasoned with. StRaItJaCkEt36

No the child needs to come up to the adults level or the parent is not doing their job.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="StRaItJaCkEt36"][QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Children do not have the reasoning skills to be reasoned with. noscope-ak47

No the child needs to come up to the adults level or the parent is not doing their job.

This. Raise your children so when they're adults, they act like adults. No-one needs to see 50 year old men streaking through fountains, or splashing mud puddles at strangers.
theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
i feel if you need to hit your kids then you havent done a good enough job as a parent
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

As long as the parent isn't overly violent/angry, nothing wrong with a smack on the arse.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Depends. Some kids need physical assertion. For others it could have a drastic negative effect. The parent needs to decide.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

ghoklebutter

Do you have kids?

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="StRaItJaCkEt36"][QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Children do not have the reasoning skills to be reasoned with. ghoklebutter

Exactly. And it's not like kids are unreasonable throughout their entire childhood.

Have you ever tried to reason with a 3-year old?

Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

Call me old fashion but all of the progressive, just put them in time out, doesn't work without some fear of what will happen if they simply refuse or leave time out early. I feel that spanking on the butt when they're younger is necessary. I'm not indicating a beating, just what parents have been doing forever and has worked. I turned out fine and I got spanked when I was young for misbehaving.

I'm for a mix of spanking and then time out when they are old enough to realize what it is for and the spanking reinforces that they stay in time out or their room. Empty threats simply don't work. "Go to timeout." "No" Go to timeout!!" "No." What now? Withhold meals?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Withhold meals?

Sunfyre7896
That's a little crazy. Just beat your kid.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#100 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
It's fine. You see brats these days running rings around their parents. If I acted like that when I was a child my father would have put me over his knee. Kids need that sort of discipline.