Does it matter to anyone that no one cares about soccer in America?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't care and thinks the whole attempt at getting us to like the sport should just drop? Sheesh, we have enough sports to keep track of, so throwing in another one just because the rest of the world is riding the bandwagon is just dumb. What's the big deal? :|
dragon7x2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dragon7x2k
Member since 2007 • 3695 Posts

When you say America you mean United States or all the continent?, in south America is really popular, actually in Brazil is like a religion

KDIDDY78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 KDIDDY78
Member since 2003 • 570 Posts

nope

F-14Bombcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 F-14Bombcat
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

Soccer is one of the few true sports out there atm. It is not like football where you play one down then go to a commercial and it isn't like baseball where you get a 15min break on the bench during each inning, and it isn't like Basketball, which seemed to turn more into a drama show over who can be the worst baby after being shoved. Soccer is extreme and brutal and requires an insane amount of skill and endurance to play. I still do not know why soccer hasn't inflated in the U.S. sports world. Maybe it is because it isn't all show, or maybe it isn't the flashy celebrations and greedy millionaires who can't afford that solid gold Humvee. I do not know.

I do not watch it much seeing as it rarely sees the light of day on U.S. stations, but I try to still watch my Dynamo's games, but even those are sometimes hard to find.

hollywood6258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hollywood6258
Member since 2007 • 262 Posts
whats soccer? lol
-D3MO-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 -D3MO-
Member since 2007 • 2622 Posts

Soccer is not popular in America because its not a commercialized sport.

Sure u can have ads on the sidelines...but for the most part its 90 minutes of game time...where a point can be scored in any of those minutess.

w/ football every play you have 40 seconds...so you can show players stand around...or go to a quick commercial..hmm...

Baseball...you have innings...and before the hit...

Basketball you have time-outs...

W/ soccer you have one 15 minute interval at half-time and that's it.

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 camreeno360

Soccer is one of the few true sports out there atm. It is not like football where you play one down then go to a commercial and it isn't like baseball where you get a 15min break on the bench during each inning, and it isn't like Basketball, which seemed to turn more into a drama show over who can be the worst baby after being shoved. Soccer is extreme and brutal and requires an insane amount of skill and endurance to play. I still do not know why soccer hasn't inflated in the U.S. sports world. Maybe it is because it isn't all show, or maybe it isn't the flashy celebrations and greedy millionaires who can't afford that solid gold Humvee. I do not know.

I do not watch it much seeing as it rarely sees the light of day on U.S. stations, but I try to still watch my Dynamo's games, but even those are sometimes hard to find.

F-14Bombcat
I think the reason it's so popular is because Europe found the sport a way to connect all the countries over there together, instead of cutting each other off with their own sports. And I think the reason it became so popular in Third World countries is because it's a cheap game to asseble. Basically just a ball and two goal indicators whether it's a couple sticks or anything. So I think it's accessibility really made it popular in a lot of countries. The "it takes more skill to play" assumption is highly debatable...
camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 camreeno360
The thing I find weird about soccer is how the points work. Usually each game, a team would go from about 0 to 4 points, so I don't think a team with the higher number of points can really be said as the team that did better, but a lot of it can do with luck if the points are so close together, whereas basketball can have 75-91 or something.
dragon7x2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dragon7x2k
[QUOTE="F-14Bombcat"]

camreeno360

I think the reason it's so popular is because Europe found the sport a way to connect all the countries over there together, instead of cutting each other off with their own sports. And I think the reason it became so popular in Third World countries is because it's a cheap game to asseble. Basically just a ball and two goal indicators whether it's a couple sticks or anything. So I think it's accessibility really made it popular in a lot of countries. The "it takes more skill to play" assumption is highly debatable...

Hey Im mexican and that comment was rude, yeah its cheap to play but its more than just that, or the football isnt just need a ball and two or even just one person throwing the ball and catchin it again, the game is popular because of the differnt tastes of people, in America is not popular because you have your own passions and not because you like to see people getting hurt in the football or the canadian in hockey is just tastes not inferior inteligence or something

1ND1FF3R3NT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 1ND1FF3R3NT
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

I hate soccer...and I even used to play it.

So no, it doesn't bother me.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Its called football.
leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts
It's football, no matter how americans call it and we've just beaten Holland! Go Romania!
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts

Sure u can have ads on the sidelines...but for the most part its 90 minutes of game time...where a point can be scored in any of those minutess.

w/ football every play you have 40 seconds...so you can show players stand around...or go to a quick commercial..hmm...

-D3MO-
...that's ...one of the biggest reasons to why I love soccer.
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 nohabs
Member since 2004 • 10797 Posts

Am I the only one who doesn't care and thinks the whole attempt at getting us to like the sport should just drop? Sheesh, we have enough sports to keep track of, so throwing in another one just because the rest of the world is riding the bandwagon is just dumb. What's the big deal? :|camreeno360

I don't think it should be dropped but I agree it seems a lot of people love to ram it down our throats. I am a little surprised it doesn't grow on us with all the youth soccer programs these days.
What the rest of world doesn't get is that when the kids here get older they move on to other sports and activities and they stay with their blessed soccer.

MeanQuestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 MeanQuestion
Member since 2004 • 4456 Posts

Its called football.Bourbons3

Americans love football. It's not oily like soccer.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
Actually soccer is the highest participation sport in the US for kids......
PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PickGlove243
Member since 2007 • 3144 Posts
If no one cares about soccer in the united states, then why does the MLS even exist? :|
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts

You are obviously confused. It's called football.

B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Soccer is not popular here because it's exceedingly boring. I wish they'd stop shoving it down our throats.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not really... it already is loved by pretty much every non-North American country on the planet.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
i think it is very boring to watch and play
muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts

but football is a massive game in America! the Brazilian national team is easily one of the best in the world. If you decided that the U.S.A represents all of america then... no one particualrly caress if America wants to join in on football or not. Its not exactly the worlds loss as there are plenty of other national teams to take their place.

johndoh4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 johndoh4
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
Actually, a lot of kids in the US play in local soccer leages. Obviously not as much as other sports, but a lot more than there used to be. Where I grew up everone played baseball, and so did I. Soccer was considered a "wuss" sport; other peoples words, not mine.
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Apollo5000
Member since 2005 • 18782 Posts

Soccer is extreme and brutal and requires an insane amount of skill and endurance to play.F-14Bombcat

I lol'd...

frankyfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 frankyfitz
Member since 2004 • 4528 Posts
Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool! ra-ra-ra-rafa benitez....etc
B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Actually, a lot of kids in the US play in local soccer leages. Obviously not as much as other sports, but a lot more than there used to be. Where I grew up everone played baseball, and so did I. Soccer was considered a "wuss" sport; other peoples words, not mine.johndoh4

Actually, more kids play soccer than baseball.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

In the US it's called soccer, in most other countries it's football. Not very tough to figure that one out, now was it?

As for its popularity here, it just hasn't caught on. Not on the men's professional level, at least. Instead of making up a bunch of erroneous or ignorant reasons why it hasn't, just accept it. Liking a particular sport doesn't make you better or worse than anyone else. It doesn't mean you are more or less intelligent. You guys sound so ignorant when you talk about how one sport requires more skill or finesse than another. Most of you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to other sports from other countries.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

I don't think it matter.

food4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 food4me
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts

-D3MO-

I like how your main arguement is completely based on the professional, commercialized leagues instead of the rules of the actual game. So what if NFL and NBA game have insane commerical periods, that takes nothing away from how the game is played 99% of the time in all its other forms (little league, high school, backyard etc).

-MlKE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -MlKE-
Member since 2007 • 1796 Posts
The only people who care about the US not liking soccer are Europeans. For some reason it bothers them that we don't like soccer. We don't care that America is the only place where people watch football, but it bothers them for some reason that we don't like soccer.
ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts
[QUOTE="F-14Bombcat"]

camreeno360

maybe not skill but alot of endurance is required to keep running without all the breaks you have in other sports. each sport can be difficult depending on which aspect you are looking at.

muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 muppet1010

The only people who care about the US not liking soccer are Europeans. For some reason it bothers them that we don't like soccer. We don't care that America is the only place where people watch football, but it bothers them for some reason that we don't like soccer.-MlKE-

Im european and i couldnt care less that America doesnt like football... Im not alone in thinking this either

Patchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Patchi
Member since 2004 • 14332 Posts

I think it's a very serious matter that must be dealt with accordingly. lol wut

acekall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 acekall
Member since 2003 • 3676 Posts

It's football, no matter how americans call it and we've just beaten Holland! Go Romania!leeveeu

yeah we suck:(

Our coach sucks, poor show of Holland:(

Outbreak191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Outbreak191
Member since 2005 • 744 Posts

F-14Bombcat

That is exactly what happens in higher level football (soccer). I challnge you to watch one game from a European league that does not include someone "diving" to get a penalty.

Avatar image for deactivated-6224691f9a882
deactivated-6224691f9a882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6224691f9a882
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts

The only people who care about the US not liking soccer are Europeans. For some reason it bothers them that we don't like soccer. We don't care that America is the only place where people watch football, but it bothers them for some reason that we don't like soccer.-MlKE-

Not true i want you to hate football. If you start liking it you'll probably end up beating us (England) and that would piss me off! Anyway you could get 11 guys off any street in America and still beat the football team i support there S***

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

[QUOTE="leeveeu"]It's football, no matter how americans call it and we've just beaten Holland! Go Romania!acekall

yeah we suck:(

Our coach sucks, poor show of Holland:(

Naaaah, WE SUCK MORE, didnt even qualify to the european championship :(

sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sca321
Member since 2003 • 1903 Posts

[QUOTE="-MlKE-"]The only people who care about the US not liking soccer are Europeans. For some reason it bothers them that we don't like soccer. We don't care that America is the only place where people watch football, but it bothers them for some reason that we don't like soccer.muppet1010

Im european and i couldnt care less that America doesnt like football... Im not alone in thinking this either

You should care. You should be glad we don't like it. If we did, all your good players would come over here to make tens of millions of dollars a year, like they do for other sports. I don't know if Beckham is any good anymore, but he gets paid a fortune to play a sport nobody watches. Imagine how much they'd pay soccer/football players if people actually watched it.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

-D3MO-
Bingo! That the driving force behind popular sports in the US. Also, there are plenty of people who care about soccer in the US, its just not as main stream.
enjoi_your_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 enjoi_your_day
Member since 2005 • 2453 Posts
I care about futbol, lots of American's care about futbol. It's just not as popular as as other sports. I'm not into bashing other sports or saying you should care about another sport over another one.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts

It doesn't bother me, actually. I like soccer and, the main reason why I can't get into it is the lack of actual play it gets here. The MLS is too watered down in terms of play to really take seriously and the Women's team don't get much play either.

It's football, no matter how americans call it and we've just beaten Holland! Go Romania!leeveeu

Actually, the term soccer came from the British, not from the Americans.

Origin of the word "soccer"

Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

Soccer will never be popular here, there's just too many other sports to choose from that appeal to more people in the US.

dragon7x2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dragon7x2k

Come on the only reason to hate football is not that big is just this one

Is the equivalent of a fanboy base to the mexican football, but is not enough to hate the sport itself

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
No it doesn't matter. We have enough sports to follow as is, and most people don't enjoy to watch soccer here. The only way I can see this changing is if the US becomes internationally competitve, but then again that's not likely to change any time soon as all our best athletes are always going into other sports.
wii4panta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wii4panta
Member since 2007 • 2886 Posts

[QUOTE="F-14Bombcat"] Soccer is extreme and brutal and requires an insane amount of skill and endurance to play.Apollo5000

I lol'd...

....:| Have you ever played soccer?

ironman1714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ironman1714
Member since 2004 • 1668 Posts

i think its a culmination of lots of factors. one being the huge amounts of sports already popular in america. another being that relatively speaking america has only recently become competitive in the sport. i think the people who are pushing soccer in the U.S need to move away from focusing on celebrity players like beckham. and focus more on rivalries with other nations. for example the U.S team's biggest rival is mexico where in recent history we hold theadvantage, the media should build that up moreas opposed to beckham.after that u can focus on building up brand name players.

muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 muppet1010

*massive yellow block for no apparent reason*

Is the equivalent of a fanboy base to the mexican football, but is not enough to hate the sport itself

dragon7x2k

did the image not work? cause I just got a massive yellow block?

dragon7x2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dragon7x2k
[QUOTE="dragon7x2k"]

*massive yellow block for no apparent reason*

muppet1010

did the image not work? cause I just got a massive yellow block?

Oops let me put another

Belive me the team is filled with bad persons and does not even work, lately they are losing that bad that the trainer was fired

spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 spam-Robot
Member since 2007 • 653 Posts

Romania Pentru Toata Lumea :D.

Romania for world cup winner :D.

Its football you jerks.

Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Apollo5000
Member since 2005 • 18782 Posts
[QUOTE="Apollo5000"]

[QUOTE="F-14Bombcat"] Soccer is extreme and brutal and requires an insane amount of skill and endurance to play.wii4panta

I lol'd...

....:| Have you ever played soccer?

I used to quite a lot actually. Not recently though, and unless theres been a massive overhaul in the entire sport where its not full contact, and people look like Sébastien Chabal because of the sheer extreme brutality of the sport. Then i doubt it's got much harder. I mean you can essentailly tap a guys leg in football (soccer) and he'll roll on the group and scream foul needing to be carried off the pitch because you clipped his hell.

Also lets face it, the pitch is too big. Half the time you just stand around the other half you are either just getting the ball to pass it on about 6 strides later or chasing after the ball so the other guy doesn't get it and then you resort back to the first step.