Do you think the Death Penalty is Fair Justice?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrduckbears3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you think the Death Penalty is Fair Justice? (24 votes)

Yes. People who murder/kill deserves to die. 46%
Only if the murder itself was cruel and the victim was killed brutally.. 21%
No, I think Life In Prison is Fair Justice because an eye for an eye is not gonna bring someone back 13%
No, I think Life In Prison Is Fair because some people may actually be innocent and killing them would be bad on us.. 21%

do people here actually think the death penalty is still good these days? i mean sure killing someone will make you feel better if they killed someone you loved but then what? let's not also forget that there are hundreds of innocent people being put to death today who are proven innocent after they are dead.

but what do you think?

• 
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

"let's not also forget that there are hundreds of innocent people being put to death today who are proven innocent after they are dead."

Uh, where did you get this from? Are you talking about just the US?

Also, I don't think putting people to death actually ends up making people feel better.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

im not sure my stance on this as a whole.

but i do know, that if i had commited crime that resulted in either life in prison or the death penalty, id want the death penalty.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

LOL. how many threads you create in a single day TC ? =P

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

The question somehow reminds of some lines in Papillon.

[judge in dream]:You know the charge.

[Papillon]:I'm innocent.I didn't kill that pimp.You couldn't get anything on me and you framed me.

[judge in dream]:That is quite true,but your real crime has nothing to with a pimp's death.

[Papillon]:Well then, what is it?

[judge in dream]:Yours is the most terrible crime a human being can commit.I ACCUSE YOU...OF A WASTED LIFE. THE PENALTY FOR THAT IS DEATH.

[Papillon]:Guilty...guilty...guilty...

I think it depends on the crime.A murder usually is expected to receive death penalty, but I'd say it depends on whom he's murdered.I mean if he'd kill some scum, we might as well thank him.

Whereas I believe rapists should be burnt alive.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I vote no. Life in prison is a fate worse than death. I say let them rot.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

I don't really care if a punishment is "fair" or not. Justice systems should be oriented towards maximizing public safety and quality of life, not fulfilling primitive and irrational notions of what people "deserve".

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I'd rather that all murders lived than one innocent man get executed which is why I don't support he death penalty. There's just too many innocent people in prison...

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Barbariser: But the real question sparks of whether or not to have freedom and privacy over public safety. It was a big philosophic question mentioned in the Judge Dredd comics since cities were WAY over-populated. Is safety more important than privacy?

going to start a thread on this.

otherwise i do agree with you.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Capital punishment is one of the many punitive measures the US uses to demonstrate to the public how punishing they are toward offenders. It has nothing to do with prevention or "justice", it's mostly political. Rather than curbing the conditions which enable criminal behavior, the state would rather punish the offender severely to illustrate how "tough" or "no nonsense" they are. It's a total farce.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

let's not also forget that there are hundreds of innocent people being put to death today who are proven innocent after they are dead.

Referring to a specific country?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

No, I think the person should be given life, there's people who later might be able to prove their innocence.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Master_Live

Plus:

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Of course.

Child molesters do not deserve to live.Their death should be slow and as agonizing as possible.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

The fact that the death penalty still exists is sickening.

I've also been rethinking my views on life without parole, and am leaning towards abolishing that as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@konvikt_17 said:

but i do know, that if i had commited crime that resulted in either life in prison or the death penalty, id want the death penalty.

I'd rather perform seppuku than do life in prison.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

@konvikt_17 said:

I'd rather perform seppuku than do life in prison.

i wouldn't rather commit sudoku than life in prison

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I don't support the death penalty.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

I've never had a problem with the death penalty. Keeping prisons running aint cheap, ya know. And we have 7 billion people on this planet; what's the harm in killing off a few more every year?

To the people who are saying how innocent people are getting killed by the death penalty and that is the reason for it to be abolished: wouldn't the better idea be to improve the justice system and such so that innocent people never get wrongly convicted in the first place?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I'm not against the death penalty, but I don't really support it either.

Today the prosecutor has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to get the conviction for death; if there's even 1% chance the man is innocent they're suppose to get life without parole as a maximum sentence.

For example, Do I think Stanley Williams deserves the death penalty? Yes, he shot a man point blank in the back who was laying down on the ground.

Do I think Aileen Wuornos deserves the death penalty? Yes, she would lie stating men raped her and use that grounds to kill multiple men across the state of Florida.

Do I think someone like Charles Manson should be in prison for life without parole? No, he never committed any crimes other than conspiracy. He also suffers from multiple learning disorders. I feel he should be an some sort of mental institute, but not prison.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No problem with it when the has person committed multiple heinous/really bad crimes like murder & rape & being convicted. Should just be 3 strikes & he forfeit his life to live.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

While it could be necessary in some places of the world considering lack of proper prison facilities it shouldn't be used unless necessary. It is vengeance, not justice. Once you've put someone to death you can't undo it, even if it turns out they were in fact innocent. So many people push for it because they are consumed with emotion and want payback for the hurt that has been caused them, not justice.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fightingfan

@EnoshimaJunko said:

I've never had a problem with the death penalty. Keeping prisons running aint cheap, ya know. And we have 7 billion people on this planet; what's the harm in killing off a few more every year?

To the people who are saying how innocent people are getting killed by the death penalty and that is the reason for it to be abolished: wouldn't the better idea be to improve the justice system and such so that innocent people never get wrongly convicted in the first place?

It actually cost more to execute from my understanding because the death row inmates have to be isolated due to even one slip up by law enforcement they'll probably kill the officers.

For example,

If you ever been to a prison you'll notice police don't carry guns. A police officer might give X-inmate a hard time or disrespect him, and X-mate will remember officer Dick giving him a problems, and when that one day officer dick doesn't watch his back, which is inevitability going to happen X-inmate might retaliate.

Which is why I noticed law enforcement officers tend to respect a man sitting in death row a lot more than someone in your local jail cell.

Special housing + multiple appeals = a lot of tax payer dollars

Also add into the fact lethal injection is expensive, and sometimes physically painful they should probably simply use a bullet to the temple.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

@thebest31406 said:

Capital punishment is one of the many punitive measures the US uses to demonstrate to the public how punishing they are toward offenders. It has nothing to do with prevention or "justice", it's mostly political. Rather than curbing the conditions which enable criminal behavior, the state would rather punish the offender severely to illustrate how "tough" or "no nonsense" they are. It's a total farce.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fightingfan

@thegerg said:

@Fightingfan said:

I'm not against the death penalty, but I don't really support it either.

Today the prosecutor has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to get the conviction for death; if there's even 1% chance the man is innocent they're suppose to get life without parole as a maximum sentence.

For example,

Do I think Stanley Williams deserves the death penalty? Yes, he shot a man point blank in the back who was laying down on the ground.

Do I think Aileen Wuornos deserves the death penalty? Yes, she would lie stating men raped her and use that grounds to kill multiple men across the state of Florida.

Do I think someone like Charles Manson should be in prison for life without parole? No, he never committed any crimes other than conspiracy. He also suffers from multiple learning disorders. I feel he should be an some sort of mental institute, but not prison.

" if there's even 1% chance the man is innocent they're suppose to get life without parole as a maximum sentence."

No they're not.

Ok.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

i'm against it

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The death penalty, in a first-world society with the infrastructure to house criminals away from the general public, has no place. It is about, for all intents and purposes, making the victim's family feel better. It doesn't serve any additional purpose, and if it ever is used on an innocent person, then that blood is on the hands of every single member of the society, whether they agree with it or not.

And atrociously, many innocent people have been killed at the hands of the state in the name of "justice" (in the US). The very idea of that sickens me (even as a Canadian). To quote the fictional Rachel Dawes from Batman Begins: "Justice is about harmony, revenge is about making yourself feel better".

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

@Fightingfan said:

Also add into the fact lethal injection is expensive, and sometimes physically painful they should probably simply use a bullet to the temple.

Why is it expensive and painful? What drugs do they use?

When they euthanize animals, they give a massive overdose of sedative - quick, painless, peaceful, and inexpensive.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fightingfan

@Sword-Demon said:

@Fightingfan said:

When they euthanize animals, they give a massive overdose of sedative - quick, painless, peaceful, and inexpensive.

They usually use some sort of Neuromuscular drug, Barbiturate, and Potassium - that cost more than a $0.03 22LR.

If the drugs aren't administered correctly the person goes into the ugly looking shock; resembles a heart attack, and a fish out of water. I assume a heart attack is painful I never experienced one.

Technically lethal injection is against the law because Doctors are breaking their Hippocratic oath to always preserve life, but I guess Uncle Sam makes an exception or there's no supreme court cases on the matter yet. Unless medical doctors are not the one administering the drugs I can see it being legal.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fightingfan

@thegerg said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@Fightingfan said:

It's expensive in the US due to the lengthy appeals processes involved.

As for the pain, the drugs used to euthanize people and other animals are generally anesthetics, not analgesics. They quickly disable bodily functions, but aren't as painless as they appear. Patients quickly lose consciousness and are paralyzed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they experience no pain.

Add all the sterile needles and medical supplies it cost more than a simple military surplus bullet to the head.

nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

I'm fine with it.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By coolbeans90

The critical factor for me is that innocent people get the death penalty from time to time, and there is way to even partially reverse it, and I am not comfortable with that.

Avatar image for PRNPmutagen_PrP
PRNPmutagen_PrP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PRNPmutagen_PrP
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

I'm down for the occasional DP

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Master_Live

@foxhound_fox said:

The death penalty, in a first-world society with the infrastructure to house criminals away from the general public, has no place. It is about, for all intents and purposes, making the victim's family feel better. It doesn't serve any additional purpose, and if it ever is used on an innocent person, then that blood is on the hands of every single member of the society, whether they agree with it or not.

And atrociously, many innocent people have been killed at the hands of the state in the name of "justice" (in the US). The very idea of that sickens me (even as a Canadian). To quote the fictional Rachel Dawes from Batman Begins: "Justice is about harmony, revenge is about making yourself feel better".

Whether I agree with or not this guy quoted RACHEL!!!, so he gets my vote.

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

The death penalty is just, and should be used more commonly in murder cases that are beyond in certainty. It is bizarre that most murderers, even the ones we know for sure did it, just get life in prison.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

@GIJames248 said:

The death penalty is just, and should be used more commonly in murder cases that are beyond in certainty. It is bizarre that most murderers, even the ones we know for sure did it, just get life in prison.

Why does it matter if they're killed or get life in prison?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolbeans90

@thegerg said:

@GIJames248 said:

"It is bizarre that most murderers, even the ones we know for sure did it, just get life in prison."

The degree of certainty that they "did it" should have no bearing on their sentence.

On the aggregate level, yes, it should.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By coolbeans90

@thegerg said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@GIJames248 said:

"It is bizarre that most murderers, even the ones we know for sure did it, just get life in prison."

The degree of certainty that they "did it" should have no bearing on their sentence.

In what way?

In that when a system consistently convicts some people that it shouldn't, ideally it should punish them in a manner slightly more reversible than death.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@GIJames248 said:

In what way?

In that when a system consistently convicts some people that it shouldn't, ideally it should punish them in a manner slightly more reversible than death.

Technically, they should be convicted by a jury based on the same level of certainty

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coolbeans90

@lostrib said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@GIJames248 said:

In what way?

Technically, they should be convicted by a jury based on the same level of certainty

Scaled to the macroscopic level, the certainty that you do not convict innocent people degrades considerably - there isn't a way around that.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lostrib

@coolbeans90 said:

@lostrib said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@GIJames248 said:

In what way?

Scaled to the macroscopic level, the certainty that you do not convict innocent people degrades considerably - there isn't a way around that.

Macroscopic...come on, it's a saturday

But yes, I think the point is that their shouldn't be some sliding scale of punishment based on how "certain" people are of guilt. Ideally, if someone is convicted the jury should be certain they are guilty (beyond a reasonable doubt). But yes, on the large scale of the criminal justice system innocent people get put in prison or put to death. And it is the later that quite a few people have an issue with.

Although, my personal objection to the death penalty is that I just don't see how it serves any purpose, especially versus the total cost

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coolbeans90

@lostrib said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@lostrib said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@GIJames248 said:

In what way?

Macroscopic...come on, it's a saturday

But yes, I think the point is that their shouldn't be some sliding scale of punishment based on how "certain" people are of guilt. Ideally, if someone is convicted the jury should be certain they are guilty (beyond a reasonable doubt). But yes, on the large scale of the criminal justice system innocent people get put in prison or put to death. And it is the later that quite a few people have an issue with.

Although, my personal objection to the death penalty is that I just don't see how it serves any purpose, especially versus the total cost

I agree that people, individually, should not have their sentences vary due to degrees of certainty.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Master_Live

People against the death penalty should be careful to not fall into traps with their arguments. The moral case should suffice and the day it doesn't that is the day you should start rethinking your position.

So it cost more to execute someone (because of the legal stuff) than to keep them incarcerated. So? So the day it doesn't does that means the death penalty all of the sudden becomes ok?

So sometimes innocent people are executed. So if we have video proof and 100 witnesses is the death penalty is ok?