Do you think Christmas should be celebrated only by Christians?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AB_Uppercut
Member since 2007 • 1287 Posts

Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus and its a celebration for those in the Christian faith but these days Christmas is getting celebrated by everyone which I'm not saying is bad but this completely changes the fact that Christmas is a Christian celebration.

I mean why doesn't everyone celebrate all celebrations, why is it only Christmas which is celebrated worldwide?

p.s. I'm not Christian?

Snomel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Snomel
Member since 2007 • 1138 Posts

Whenever people ask me this question, I have two responses, which I select based on my mood:

1. "Fine, I'm not celebrating Christmas, I'm celebrating Saturnalia. I love Roman culture"

2. "Christmas doesn't mean what it used to mean in terms of religion to the vast majority of people. It is a fun time to relax with friends and family, eat too much food and get presents. It's been twisted and materialised to the point where it is unrecognisable - so there's no real reason why I shouldn't join in."

UbAdm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 UbAdm
Member since 2006 • 5213 Posts
Hell no. I need the cash :P
Silchas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Silchas
Member since 2006 • 17050 Posts
No, i need the free days
Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mind_Mover
Member since 2005 • 1489 Posts

Some people celebrate Jesus's birth

Most celebrate it because of Santa...

and some celebrate it when the 3 kings came with presents on the 6th of january.

Some don't celebrate it because its just another scheme to make you spend money.

flavort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#6 flavort
Member since 2003 • 3794 Posts
Christmas is what it is, the celebration of the birth of Christ. Many who celebrate it don't realize it. It is a cash cow for for the economy. I think everyone should celebrate it if they want. I do think it is funny that atheists celebrate it and claim it is for the kids just because kids love presents.
Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mind_Mover

Christmas is what it is, the celebration of the birth of Christ. Many who celebrate it don't realize it. It is a cash cow for for the economy. I think everyone should celebrate it if they want. I do think it is funny that atheists celebrate it and claim it is for the kids just because kids love presents.flavort
Well imagine how lonely an Atheist must feel. The only god figure they can look up to are humans - the prsident?, they think they will never exist ever again when they die, that must be kinda depressing so i think its cool they celebrate christmas.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

[QUOTE="flavort"]Christmas is what it is, the celebration of the birth of Christ. Many who celebrate it don't realize it. It is a cash cow for for the economy. I think everyone should celebrate it if they want. I do think it is funny that atheists celebrate it and claim it is for the kids just because kids love presents.Mind_Mover

Well imagine how lonely an Atheist must feel. The only god figure they can look up to are humans - the prsident?, they think they will never exist ever again when they die, that must be kinda depressing so i think its cool they celebrate christmas.

I am an atheist and I don't look up to Bush as a god figure...
FrozeN__54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FrozeN__54
Member since 2005 • 3434 Posts
Of course not, I want presents!
Snomel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Snomel

[QUOTE="flavort"]Christmas is what it is, the celebration of the birth of Christ. Many who celebrate it don't realize it. It is a cash cow for for the economy. I think everyone should celebrate it if they want. I do think it is funny that atheists celebrate it and claim it is for the kids just because kids love presents.Mind_Mover

Thanks for the sympathy, but I've only ever spoken to one person who felt like that. For most people I know (and for myself), atheism is liberating. We don't think our every action is being judged by an almighty god. We don't fear going to Hell. We think that, as this is our only chance at life, we should live it to the full.

Atheism isn't as depressing as a lot of people seem to think.

Although, of course, not everyone would agree with this. As atheism isn't an organised religion, there's no set beliefs you have to follow. So there probably are atheists who think completely differently. I'm just going on my own experiences.

DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
nope. it should be celebrated by all.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
I don't see the point. If people want to celebrate christmas, then they can celebrate christmas whatever the reason.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 85070537783
Member since 2005 • 1219 Posts
Christmas shouldn't be celebrated at all.
UbAdm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 UbAdm
Member since 2006 • 5213 Posts

Christmas shouldn't be celebrated at all.85070537783

Partay pewper. 

Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mind_Mover
[QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]

[QUOTE="flavort"]Christmas is what it is, the celebration of the birth of Christ. Many who celebrate it don't realize it. It is a cash cow for for the economy. I think everyone should celebrate it if they want. I do think it is funny that atheists celebrate it and claim it is for the kids just because kids love presents.Snomel

Thanks for the sympathy, but I've only ever spoken to one person who felt like that. For most people I know (and for myself), atheism is liberating. We don't think our every action is being judged by an almighty god. We don't fear going to Hell. We think that, as this is our only chance at life, we should live it to the full.

Although, of course, not everyone would agree with this. As atheism isn't an organised religion, there's no set beliefs you have to follow. So there probably are atheists who think completely differently. I'm just going on my own experiences.

ok =)

but really don't you even care about living after you die? wouldn't you like to still be alive after dead?

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts
[QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]

[QUOTE="flavort"]Christmas is what it is, the celebration of the birth of Christ. Many who celebrate it don't realize it. It is a cash cow for for the economy. I think everyone should celebrate it if they want. I do think it is funny that atheists celebrate it and claim it is for the kids just because kids love presents.Snomel

I completely agree.
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
No im not christian but i enjoy celebrating christmas.
Krazykraz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krazykraz01
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts

Why do Atheists have to deify Bush?
Snomel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Snomel
ok =)

but really don't you even care about living after you die? wouldn't you like to still be alive after dead?

Mind_Mover

Meh, not really. I'm quite comfortable with the idea that when I die, that's it - game over. The idea of an after-life seems more strange to me - why should we continue living?

And I figure, once I die, I'll be too dead to care, which makes the whole thing seem less scary. If that makes sense? It's hard to put into words.

Djammal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Djammal86
Member since 2006 • 6088 Posts
Christmas IS the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. If you don't believe in christ, what's the point of celebrating it.
Krazykraz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Krazykraz01
[QUOTE="Snomel"][QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]

ok =)

It's a nice principle, but let's not fool ourselves; it isn't going to happen. We have one life and we have to live it now.
hormagaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 hormagaunt
Member since 2003 • 6309 Posts
everyone can celebrate if they want, its their choice.
flavort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 flavort
[QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]

I don't fear going to hell and I am a Christian and I have done some horrible things. I see atheist see themself as the #1 in their lives. Like they are the closest thing to God in their lives. I don't know how you feel though, it is in general. As a Christian I believe I should strive to live as Jesus wants me too. I see that as not living my life for myself but to help others that is my reason for being here. I am no better than anyone because I am a Christian.

Krazykraz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Krazykraz01
[QUOTE="Snomel"][QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]

[QUOTE="flavort"]Christmas is what it is, the celebration of the birth of Christ. Many who celebrate it don't realize it. It is a cash cow for for the economy. I think everyone should celebrate it if they want. I do think it is funny that atheists celebrate it and claim it is for the kids just because kids love presents.flavort

I don't fear going to hell and I am a Christian and I have done some horrible things. I see atheist see themself as the #1 in their lives. Like they are the closest thing to God in their lives. I don't know how you feel though, it is in general. As a Christian I believe I should strive to live as Jesus wants me too. I see that as not living my life for myself but to help others that is my reason for being here. I am no better than anyone because I am a Christian.

How can we think we're close to God if we don't believe in him? :? And you don't have to believe in Christ to live your life for others...I am not trying to go against your beliefs, sorry if it comes out like that.
Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mind_Mover
[QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]ok =)

Snomel

Meh, not really. I'm quite comfortable with the idea that when I die, that's it - game over. The idea of an after-life seems more strange to me - why should we continue living?

And I figure, once I die, I'll be too dead to care, which makes the whole thing seem less scary. If that makes sense? It's hard to put into words.

Depends on how your life is imo. For example If you are loved and you love your life, you should want to continue on living, however if your life sucks then sure, why continue living.

I'm am not saying that your life sucks :P there is no other logical explanation i can find though.. 

Apsinthion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Apsinthion
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts
Leaving out the religious aspect, Christmas is the one time out of the whole year where people stop thinking about their selfish needs and spend a little time and money on the ones that they love, why exactly shouldn't it be celebrated?
hormagaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 hormagaunt
Member since 2003 • 6309 Posts
sounds like you have a crappy life
flavort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 flavort

How can we think we're close to God if we don't believe in him? :? And you don't have to believe in Christ to live your life for others...I am not trying to go against your beliefs, sorry if it comes out like that.Krazykraz01

Not close to Him but the closest thing to Him. I know you don't have to believe in God to live for others, it is a large part of Christianity.

Snomel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Snomel

I don't fear going to hell and I am a Christian and I have done some horrible things. I see atheist see themself as the #1 in their lives. Like they are the closest thing to God in their lives. I don't know how you feel though, it is in general. As a Christian I believe I should strive to live as Jesus wants me too. I see that as not living my life for myself but to help others that is my reason for being here. I am no better than anyone because I am a Christian. flavort

I don't quite understand why you think an atheist considers themselves to be number 1. I would do anything to help the people I care about, my friends and family, they definitely come before me in my life. I don't need a god to tell me to do this, I do it because I care about them. I definitely don't consider myself to be like a god!

Although once again, this is just my own personal perspective.... Maybe you've spoken to other atheists who did give that impression though?

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
Christmas IS the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. If you don't believe in christ, what's the point of celebrating it.Djammal86
because you get free stuff.
Krazykraz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Krazykraz01

[QUOTE="Krazykraz01"]
How can we think we're close to God if we don't believe in him? :? And you don't have to believe in Christ to live your life for others...I am not trying to go against your beliefs, sorry if it comes out like that.flavort

Not close to Him but the closest thing to Him. I know you don't have to believe in God to live for others, it is a large part of Christianity.

I see...well, there's bound to be some atheists full of themselves, but saying they all are is like saying all Muslims are terrorists.
Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mr_sprinkles
Member since 2005 • 6461 Posts
'christmas' wasn't originally a christian festival. (not the gift giving at winter bit anyway, the whole jesus story was theirs)
greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 greenprince
Member since 2006 • 3332 Posts
It is a religous holiday for the people who are Christians and believe it to be sacred because the majority of western culture does so. and I have no problem of other explanations of celebrating it as fun time to relax with friends and family, eat too much food and get presents. ( although, Christians also so relax, have a fun time and spend time with their loved ones.) Just don't tell me to say ''happy hoildays'' or worst ''seasons greetings'' because you find ''Merry Christmas offensive''
flavort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 flavort
[QUOTE="flavort"]

[QUOTE="Krazykraz01"]
How can we think we're close to God if we don't believe in him? :? And you don't have to believe in Christ to live your life for others...I am not trying to go against your beliefs, sorry if it comes out like that.Krazykraz01

I see...well, there's bound to be some atheists full of themselves, but saying they all are is like saying all Muslims are terrorists.

I did not say all. But the majority of terrorist are Muslims.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

flavort
but are the majority of muslims terrorists?
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#36 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
People can celebrate whatever they want to.
Snomel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Snomel
[QUOTE="Snomel"][QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]ok =)

Mind_Mover

Depends on how your life is imo. For example If you are loved and you love your life, you should want to continue on living, however if your life sucks then sure, why continue living.

I'm am not saying that your life sucks :P there is no other logical explanation i can find though.. 

Sorry, I meant...... "why should we continue living..... once we have died". I don't always complete my trains of thought =/

I'd say my life is average to good. I've been very lucky in some ways, not so much in others. There have been (brief) times when I didn't want to continue living, but they pass, things get better again. And that's why we should continue living.

Argh... there are more thoughts in my head, struggling to express them.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#38 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts
What's with the invasion of religious topics!?
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
What's with the invasion of religious topics!? THE_DRUGGIE
Stop the madness! :lol: Funny smiley!
Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mr_sprinkles
[QUOTE="Snomel"][QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]ok =)

Mind_Mover

but anyway. Just because you want to believe it doesn't mean its true, and you shouldn't spend your life preparing for something that isn't there. I would very much like to be able to fly, but i shouldn't spend my life preparing for the day that i gain that magical ability.
Krazykraz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Krazykraz01
[QUOTE="Krazykraz01"][QUOTE="flavort"]

[QUOTE="Krazykraz01"]
How can we think we're close to God if we don't believe in him? :? And you don't have to believe in Christ to live your life for others...I am not trying to go against your beliefs, sorry if it comes out like that.flavort

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with that, but not many Muslims are terrorists (I think you got my point though).
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#42 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]What's with the invasion of religious topics!? Cyrax-Sektor

Stop the madness! :lol: Funny smiley!

Madness? THIS IS SPARTA! *kicks you in hole*

Seriously, though....I think there needs to be a sticky before this gets out of hand.

Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mr_sprinkles

[QUOTE="Krazykraz01"]

thats not true at all.
flavort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 flavort
[QUOTE="flavort"]

Hewkii

but are the majority of muslims terrorists?

no

Snomel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Snomel

[QUOTE="Krazykraz01"]

I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with the topic anymore.... But I just had to point out that this isn't true. Two other terrorists groups that spring to mind are IRA (Ireland) and ETA (Spain). Nothing to do with Muslims.

In fact, there are LOTS of different types of terrorists...

bastards12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bastards12345
Member since 2005 • 7194 Posts
Bull****, Mithras wants his holiday back. Tell that to your spring-born "savior."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 85070537783
Member since 2005 • 1219 Posts
[QUOTE="85070537783"]Christmas shouldn't be celebrated at all.Apsinthion
Leaving out the religious aspect, Christmas is the one time out of the whole year where people stop thinking about their selfish needs and spend a little time and money on the ones that they love, why exactly shouldn't it be celebrated?

And that is exactly why christmas shouldn't be celebrated, people are hypocrates who need an excuse to behave properly towards each other, all of the year they spend their time being jerks and giving the cold shoulder to everyone but all of the sudden if they behave "right" for a couple of days a years suddenly is all right. That's a load of crud, the same thing with the celebration of the birth of Jesus, what a crock of dirt, the guy's been suppousedly dead for years, no milleniums and people still have the nerve to show devotion to that jerk you ought to spend your time caring for your living loved ones every day, despite what some dude said years ago, not because some nonexistent dude said so, just because is the right thing to do. Christmas shouldn't be celebrated at all because it amends for a year of arrogance you should allways care for each other not just in some season.
Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mind_Mover
[QUOTE="Mind_Mover"][QUOTE="Snomel"][QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]ok =)

Mr_sprinkles

but anyway. Just because you want to believe it doesn't mean its true, and you shouldn't spend your life preparing for something that isn't there. I would very much like to be able to fly, but i shouldn't spend my life preparing for the day that i gain that magical ability.

Well doesn't actually mean its false either, just because it hasn't been scientifically proven. I could twist your words the other way around also, i am preparing to live after i day my whole life you say, i could say you are preparing your life to never have a life anymore.
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts
No. It's a good excuse to get presents. And I love presents.
Krazykraz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Krazykraz01
[QUOTE="Apsinthion"][QUOTE="85070537783"]Christmas shouldn't be celebrated at all.85070537783

And that is exactly why christmas shouldn't be celebrated, people are hypocrates who need an excuse to behave properly towards each other, all of the year they spend their time being jerks and giving the cold shoulder to everyone but all of the sudden if they behave "right" for a couple of days a years suddenly is all right. That's a load of crud, the same thing with the celebration of the birth of Jesus, what a crock of dirt, the guy's been suppousedly dead for years, no milleniums and people still have the nerve to show devotion to that jerk you ought to spend your time caring for your living loved ones every day, despite what some dude said years ago, not because some nonexistent dude said so, just because is the right thing to do. Christmas shouldn't be celebrated at all because it amends for a year of arrogance you should allways care for each other not just in some season.

You're like Maddox, sans the comedy.