Do You Like The Beatles Yes/No and why

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
No, I don't like them. I think they are extremely overrated. Every song of theirs' I've heard just didn't go anywhere for me.
Avatar image for rocknrollmonkey
rocknrollmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 rocknrollmonkey
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts
[QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"]

So your saying a band with all guys is a boy band. So i guess that makes almost all metal, rap, and rock bands little boy bands. I mean im just using the knowledge that you gave me:P

dracula_16

No. You're still not understanding. A band that has legions of little girls as their main audience, uses gimmicky hooks in the choruses, has lyrics about love, and markets their appearance more than their music is a boy band.

i doubt most people would agree with you that the beatles cared more about their appearance than thier music

P.S. A lot of rock, metal, and rap bands have a lot of girl fans too dude

KHfanboy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 KHfanboy2
Member since 2007 • 42258 Posts
I like The Beatles. One of the most influential bands of all time. :)
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
Yes, the later Beatles albums is some of the best music out there.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#55 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Some of their music sounds really dated now. There are much better cover versions that are a bit slower and more emotion like "I wanna Hold your hand".
rocknrollmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 rocknrollmonkey

For people saying they're pop:

This is not pop, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WuJ3EvNh-0

This is not pop, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87yq372R4Ts

This is not pop, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViJJRbiN9VA

This is not pop, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6kfPnNMGKA

This is not pop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k4PBNWUQEo

Wouldn't let me link those for some reason :(

yabbicoke
You just got linkiefied. Also thanks
yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts
[QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"]

So your saying a band with all guys is a boy band. So i guess that makes almost all metal, rap, and rock bands little boy bands. I mean im just using the knowledge that you gave me:P

dracula_16

No. You're still not understanding. A band that has legions of little girls as their main audience, uses gimmicky hooks in the choruses, has lyrics about love, and markets their appearance more than their music is a boy band.

All you're doing is describing the early Beatles. After the Beatles went to India and stopped touring (focusing on just studio work) they dropped that whole persona. They were one of the most diversified groups ever, covering stuff from folk to hard rock. It's ridiculous to claim things that contradict historical fact, look it up anywhere. 1965-1969, the Beatles greatly matured, both inpersonalityand in musical style. And again, you're describing their early work, 1965 onwards they have very few songs about love. In fact, there songs were very different at the time, ask someone from the 60's, they'll know. You should also read about theinnovationsin musical style and new studio recording techniques they invented... there are quite a few of them.

Also, trust me, their main audience was not just "little girls". Just about everyone liked them back then. If you have you associate them with a certain group of people, the counter-culture hippie movement would be much more accurate, since a lot of their folk/psychedelic rock songs became theme songs for the hippie movement. And later on, John and George became pretty big hippies...

I mean, honestly, I don't see how a song like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WuJ3EvNh could be described as a "silly love song by a silly boy band" as you seem to believe.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Yeah. I love The Beatles. They wrote more amazing songs during their six year career than most people will write in a life time. They really set the bar, as far as popular songwriting goes.

I especially like Lennon and Harrison's philosophical views on life. To me, the depth of meaning they brought to the table made their songs all the more better.

yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts

Yeah. I love The Beatles. They wrote more amazing songs during their six year career than most people will write in a life time. They really set the bar, as far as popular songwriting goes.

I especially like Lennon and Harrison's philosophical views on life. To me, the depth of meaning they brought to the table made their songs all the more better.

StrawberryHill

Yeah, I know what you mean, I always liked their work much better than Paul's and Ringo's. Songs like "Within You Without You" or "Across the Universe" blow songs like "When I'm Sixty-Four" out of the water.

rocknrollmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 rocknrollmonkey
[QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

yabbicoke

Yeah, I know what you mean, I always liked their work much better than Paul's and Ringo's. Songs like "Within You Without You" or "Across the Universe" blow songs like "When I'm Sixty-Four" out of the water.

ya i much prefer Lennon to Ringo, Paul, and George. I also just finished a bio on lennon in school

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 StrawberryHill
[QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

rocknrollmonkey

ya i much prefer Lennon to Ringo, Paul, and George. I also just finished a bio on lennon in school

Cheers, Yabbi and Monkey. :)

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
[QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

rocknrollmonkey

I feel Lennon's work within The Beatles was probably either equal to the other three's work or maybe just a tiny bit better. Unfortunately, when they split up his songwriting went for a massive tailspin. :( I'll use the ol' scapegoat and blame Yoko Ono. :P

Avatar image for mastetofthedark
mastetofthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 mastetofthedark
Member since 2008 • 16924 Posts
[QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

Lockedge

I feel Lennon's work within The Beatles was probably either equal to the other three's work or maybe just a tiny bit better. Unfortunately, when they split up his songwriting went for a massive tailspin. :( I'll use the ol' scapegoat and blame Yoko Ono. :P

I agree. If there were no Yoko Ono, the Beatles wouldn't have split up :(

rocknrollmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rocknrollmonkey
We should keep this thread up to see how people's opinion's might change over the years
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#65 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I think some people also take them wayy too seriously.
gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
Yes. They have done so much for music. Any music critic adores music that is "Beatlesesque".
kurtoronie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 kurtoronie
Member since 2006 • 1097 Posts
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

mastetofthedark

Yoko had VERY little to do with the breakup, all four of them said so
R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
[QUOTE="mastetofthedark"][QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

kurtoronie

It was inevitable wether Yoko was there or not. They were very different people creatively and they just couldn't work together. I'm glad they went their own ways because they were friendlier after the break up and created different and amazing music afterword. George's solo albim is one of my favorites ever.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#69 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts
It puts a strange taste in my mouth to say I dont care for The Beatles. I like a song here and there... (Eleanor Rigby is a good one)... But I really just dont listen to them. I dont know, they're the most influential band of all time, but (im gonna say it) I find them boring, and somewhat samey, their early work especially.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 StrawberryHill
[QUOTE="kurtoronie"][QUOTE="mastetofthedark"][QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

R0cky_Racc00n

It was inevitable wether Yoko was there or not. They were very different people creatively and they just couldn't work together. I'm glad they went their own ways because they were friendlier after the break up and created different and amazing music afterword. George's solo albim is one of my favorites ever.

Do you mean, "All Things Must Pass"? Yeah...that album is great.

R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 R0cky_Racc00n
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

mastetofthedark

John and Paul hated each other way before Yoko came in. John did some unfair things with Yoko such as breaking band rules, but they loved each other and she was inspiration for many great songs and John would have probably killed himself with out her.
rocknrollmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 rocknrollmonkey

Rocky does this remind u of anything

Now somewhere in the black mountain hills of dakota
There lived a young boy named rocky raccoon
And one day his woman ran off with another guy
Hit young rocky in the eye rocky didn't like that
He said i'm gonna get that boy
So one day he walked into town
Booked himself a room in the local saloon.

Rocky raccoon checked into his room
Only to find gideon's bible
Rocky had come equipped with a gun
To shoot off the legs of his rival
His rival it seems had broken his dreams
By stealing the girl of his fancy.
Her name was magil and she called herself lil
But everyone knew her as nancy.
Now she and her man who called himself dan
Were in the next room at the hoe down
Rocky burst in and grinning a grin
He said danny boy this is a showdown
But daniel was hot-he drew first and shot
And rocky collapsed in the corner.

Now the doctor came in stinking of gin
And proceeded to lie on the table
He said rocky you met your match
And rocky said, doc it's only a scratch
And i'll be better i'll be better doc as soon as i am able.

Now rocky raccoon he fell back in his room
Only to find gideon's bible
Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt
To help with good rocky's revival.

sun-son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 sun-son
Member since 2007 • 230 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]Nope, I don't like pop.mastetofthedark

The Beatles weren't pop. They were rock. The Beatles MADE music :)

They were pop, but back then the masses were able to distinguish what's talent and what's not.

R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 R0cky_Racc00n
^That's the song about me that The Beatles wrote.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Lockedge
[QUOTE="mastetofthedark"][QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

kurtoronie

It seemed, at least to me, that Lennon and McCartney's egos were getting much too large for them to work together. Whatever happened to getting by with a little help from their friends? :P

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts
Yes I do, though Im kindda getting alittle sick of their songs because are band is doing a beatles show
serjitup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 serjitup
Member since 2007 • 1049 Posts
no, they bore me.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Lockedge
[QUOTE="kurtoronie"][QUOTE="mastetofthedark"][QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

R0cky_Racc00n

George and Paul made some excellent music after the break-up. I actually enjoyed George's work more than a lot of the Beatles' songs.

rocknrollmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 rocknrollmonkey
[QUOTE="R0cky_Racc00n"][QUOTE="kurtoronie"][QUOTE="mastetofthedark"][QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

Lockedge

George and Paul made some excellent music after the break-up. I actually enjoyed George's work more than a lot of the Beatles' songs.

I enjoyed john and george's solo music the most out of the 4
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Lockedge
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="R0cky_Racc00n"][QUOTE="kurtoronie"][QUOTE="mastetofthedark"][QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="rocknrollmonkey"][QUOTE="yabbicoke"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

rocknrollmonkey

I enjoyed john and george's solo music the most out of the 4

I personally felt John only released maybe 2 good songs post-Beatles. I really didn't dig his solo stuff. :(

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
theyve made a lot of cool stuff, but i dont really think theyre the **** or anything, its not even in my top 25 bands.
Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Hey_Jay
Member since 2004 • 7221 Posts
I love The Beatles' music. Other worldly when it comes to music and in their own league when it comes to writing. I often hear people say that were overrated. I firmly believe that these people are either too young to know what they're talking about, have the mind capacity of a prepubescent youth, or simply know nothing and are bitter about their musical impotence.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Lockedge

I love The Beatles' music. Other worldly when it comes to music and in their own league when it comes to writing. I often hear people say that were overrated. I firmly believe that these people are either too young to know what they're talking about, have the mind capacity of a prepubescent youth, or simply know nothing and are bitter about their musical impotence.Hey_Jay

:P I feel the beatles are overrated, but only because they're heralded as the best band ever and the best musicians/songwriters ever. Best? Nope. Top tier? Definitely.

Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Hey_Jay

[QUOTE="Hey_Jay"]I love The Beatles' music. Other worldly when it comes to music and in their own league when it comes to writing. I often hear people say that were overrated. I firmly believe that these people are either too young to know what they're talking about, have the mind capacity of a prepubescent youth, or simply know nothing and are bitter about their musical impotence.Lockedge

:P I feel the beatles are overrated, but only because they're heralded as the best band ever and the best musicians/songwriters ever. Best? Nope. Top tier? Definitely.

Well, when you put it that way. :P

Out of curiosity, who do you believe is the best musician(s)/songwriter(s)? Or Or... Do you believe there can be a "best" ?

Erik_Lensherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Erik_Lensherr
Member since 2008 • 1340 Posts
Everytime I come to OT there is a Beatles thread on the front page. What does that tell you?, the beatles will be listened to in 100 years from now few bands can say the same thing. In case your wondering I love the beatles.
Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
The Beatles will for ever live on
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Lockedge
[QUOTE="Lockedge"]

[QUOTE="Hey_Jay"]I love The Beatles' music. Other worldly when it comes to music and in their own league when it comes to writing. I often hear people say that were overrated. I firmly believe that these people are either too young to know what they're talking about, have the mind capacity of a prepubescent youth, or simply know nothing and are bitter about their musical impotence.Hey_Jay

Well, when you put it that way. :P

Out of curiosity, who do you believe is the best musician(s)/songwriter(s)? Or Or... Do you believe there can be a "best" ?

I don't believe there can be a best, in anything musical. No most innovative, no most talented, no best songwriter, etc. etc.

I believe in tiers, or a hierarchy system, because some musicians and groups are elite enough to be considered top-tier, some are great and just fall short of that top-tier, etc.

I figure that way there's more of a middle ground, and a better chance of getting an accurate result.

For instance, one of my favourite musicians, Matthew Good, would probably be 3rd tier. He didn't innovate and establish new genres or sounds, or break new ground, and he hasn't strung out classic album after classic album. He's experimented with his sound and the themes of his music across his entire career, but in the end he could be realistically lumped in with a few hundred other incredibly solid acts who have released incredibly enjoyable albums that do what they do very well. Just becauseI enjoy his music more than Bob Dylan's music doesn't mean he's better than Bob Dylan.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
they are completely amazing
Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Hey_Jay

I don't believe there can be a best, in anything musical. No most innovative, no most talented, no best songwriter, etc. etc.

I believe in tiers, or a hierarchy system, because some musicians and groups are elite enough to be considered top-tier, some are great and just fall short of that top-tier, etc.

I figure that way there's more of a middle ground, and a better chance of getting an accurate result.

For instance, one of my favourite musicians, Matthew Good, would probably be 3rd tier. He didn't innovate and establish new genres or sounds, or break new ground, and he hasn't strung out classic album after classic album. He's experimented with his sound and the themes of his music across his entire career, but in the end he could be realistically lumped in with a few hundred other incredibly solid acts who have released incredibly enjoyable albums that do what they do very well. Just becauseI enjoy his music more than Bob Dylan's music doesn't mean he's better than Bob Dylan.

Lockedge

I hear you...

... and Matthew Good... 8)

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
yeah they made some great music
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#91 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts

I don't really like them. They are good musicians, yes, but they just don't appeal to me. I get bored whenever I start listening to them. :|

I do agree that they had a huge influence on Rock music as a whole.

xboxplayer1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 xboxplayer1990
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Yeah I like The Beatles. I think they are overrated but they have alot of great music. White Album is probably in my top 10.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#93 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58413 Posts

No.

Short answer: theyre too pop. I dont really like upbeat, cheery music...life is beautiful enough, when I listen to music I want some contrast.

I acknowledge the Beatles as an extremely important group, but I just think theyre overrated none the less. My roommate is a huuuuuuge Beatles fan and I asked why and he was like "they revolutionised music; I mean, they brought the Sitar (sp?) into rock and now its in a lot of songs" and I just could not help but think "Well, if they didnt do it, someone else would have"

Thats a bad mentality, however, because that thought process applies to everything.

Still, as good as they are, I just dont like them except for a few songs.

canary7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 canary7
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts
Not sure...Haven't heard enough songs to state an opinion.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts
I love A LOT of The Beatles music though i feel that they are overrated but i really cant make a call on that since i didnt live through the age where they "revolutionized" music. Great band though.