Do you invest in the stock market?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

If so, do you day trade, or are your investments mostly long-term?

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

My dad did stocks for his savings. One thing I know he's made a killing on is apple, he bought some like 5 years ago or something and now it's like triple the price he paid for it.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I'm just planning to get into investing now, going to talk to some family about it and try to figure out which broker to use.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I did day trade, but I also do long term. I bought Ford at $9 bucks and their $17 bucks today. I bought Tesla at $25 sold at $38 :( interested in Intel tbh - I want intel to get into cell phone processing and destroy Samsung.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chrisrooR
Do you guys have any recommendations on training software or sites for people interested in trading?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan
Do you guys have any recommendations on training software or sites for people interested in trading?chrisrooR
If it's not free it's a scam. Just read the financial reports on a company you like and evaluate how much you think they're worth.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Do you guys have any recommendations on training software or sites for people interested in trading?chrisrooR

Jim Cramer's books and dvds!

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

I have most of my money tied up in long term investing. It is very hard to make money as a day trader, long term investing is like playing poker as the house, you have to be very unlucky or an idiot to not make money.

It's always good to look at no- or low-cost index funds too, good safetynet diversification, with individual companies.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
401k....thats about it.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I did day trade, but I also do long term. I bought Ford at $9 bucks and their $17 bucks today. I bought Tesla at $25 sold at $38 :( interested in Intel tbh - I want intel to get into cell phone processing and destroy Samsung.

tsla.. ouch... reminds me of my aapl stock years ago. bought at like 76... sold at like 90. *smacks forehead*
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Just read the financial reports on a company you like and evaluate how much you think they're worth.

Yeah. And remember, do not underestimate the importance of the cash flow statement. EPS is nice and all but not as important.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Not directly but my 401k is 70% in foreign and domestic stock.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

not directly

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

shorts for currency, currency into commodities, then hold. it is funny that so many companies are beating their EPS projections when at the same time falling flat on their faces when it comes to revenues. so much treasury stocks are being purchased. what momentum money cares about fundamentals? none that i know of.

inbefore "buh its all about teh bottom line" if your top line is garbage chances are youre not in good health. 

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fightingfan
shorts for currency, currency into commodities, then hold. it is funny that so many companies are beating their EPS projections when at the same time falling flat on their faces when it comes to revenues. so much treasury stocks are being purchased. what momentum money cares about fundamentals? none that i know of. surrealnumber5
I could never make money with commodities. I don't get em - I guess they're like a 10+ year thing.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
No I have always wanted to but never really was willing to take the chance. I would probably go with long term investments if I was to start though.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Nah, not interested. 

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]shorts for currency, currency into commodities, then hold. it is funny that so many companies are beating their EPS projections when at the same time falling flat on their faces when it comes to revenues. so much treasury stocks are being purchased. what momentum money cares about fundamentals? none that i know of. Fightingfan
I could never make money with commodities. I don't get em - I guess they're like a 10+ year thing.

there are definitely circular market trends and seasonal trends, but at the end of the day, it is all about individual judgement. the commodities i invest in i do so for the long term.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts
Yeah. Don't listen to anyone on this website who tries to give you stock advice.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 surrealnumber5

Yeah. Don't listen to anyone on this website who tries to give you stock advice.EagleEyedOne
the liability of giving advice is insane, dont ever give it period.

edit:publicly  

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
I do, yes. I invest mostly long term using a 401(k), Roth, and a money market.
CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

No, When there is bad news the Stocks are Up? :roll:

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 surrealnumber5

CommandoAgent
that is because the fed wont taper on a decline, duh! they have made that clear, until the next announcement to maybe cut back, that will lower the averages giving the illusion of health. yummmy
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="CommandoAgent"]

surrealnumber5
that is because the fed wont taper on a decline, duh! they have made that clear, until the next announcement to maybe cut back, that will lower the averages giving the illusion of health. yummmy

Do you short or buy more? Do you/can you use the news to make decisions regarding which companies to go into? It's complicated, but I'm doing as much research as I can.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I have stocks, all long term (some in just an investment account and some in a Roth IRA). I don't really care to take the time to try to make short term investments. :P
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="CommandoAgent"]

chrisrooR

Do you short or buy more? Do you/can you use the news to make decisions regarding which companies to go into? It's complicated, but I'm doing as much research as I can.

as a rule of thumb i sell the news, but judgement is key. you always have to look into every company you consider, even if some dope claims to give you a 'good tip", over all i do sell the news. i have never bought the news. i love the fundamentals of PM's but last year when peter schiff was welcomed around the media to sell silver, i took that as a selling sign, it happened to be right near the top. i did not buy back at the low of near 18, but i still made 180 years of current interest rates off of it in a 7 month span. i am not perfect but i am good enough.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 surrealnumber5

Does anybody have an idea what brokers are trustworthy?

Leejjohno
no, sadly, these days, they are few and far between. these are hard times for honest people. please at least take an active role in your retirement and finances. when i earned enough to tell my family to 'bugger off,' as i am told the brits would say, i told them their retirement was on their hand or ultimately they will get nothing at all. holding your retirement in cash or telling your company to do so might not be a bad idea, if you do it per regulation you can remove the risk of future losses at the rick of losing near zero interest on your equity.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 surrealnumber5
i have no advise for anyone just talking here.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Unless you have a particularly good broker, I'm not sure it's worth it over just investing in fairly safe stock indices.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 surrealnumber5
Unless you have a particularly good broker, I'm not sure it's worth it over just investing in fairly safe stock indices.chessmaster1989
at current rates what is better? i mean really, are you saying saving at less than inflation is the best investment?
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Can anyone throw a recommendation out for an Online Broker? I was planning to go with TD since they all seem to offer around the same rates but I feel safer with them since i'm already at their bank.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Yes.  I started out with active trading, but as my job became more consuming, I switched to longer term investing, mostly looking for good dividend-paying companies.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pianist

Unless you have a particularly good broker, I'm not sure it's worth it over just investing in fairly safe stock indices.chessmaster1989

Certainly you can go with a broker to make trading easier and deal with the paperwork, but if you're intelligent, you can probably learn how to self direct your investments.  I did far better in 3 months of self-directed investing when I became interested in it than my bank had done in the past 6 years.  Their service fees aren't worth it, and like the old saying goes, nobody cares about your money as much as you do.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Unless you have a particularly good broker, I'm not sure it's worth it over just investing in fairly safe stock indices.pianist

Certainly you can go with a broker to make trading easier and deal with the paperwork, but if you're intelligent, you can probably learn how to self-direct your investments.  I did far better in 3 months of self-directed investing when I became interested in it than my bank had done in the past 6 years.  Their service fees aren't worth it, and like the old saying goes, nobody cares about your money as much as you do.

It's really amazing how much better you can do with 20 minutes of business reading per day.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pianist

[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Unless you have a particularly good broker, I'm not sure it's worth it over just investing in fairly safe stock indices.mattbbpl

Certainly you can go with a broker to make trading easier and deal with the paperwork, but if you're intelligent, you can probably learn how to self-direct your investments.  I did far better in 3 months of self-directed investing when I became interested in it than my bank had done in the past 6 years.  Their service fees aren't worth it, and like the old saying goes, nobody cares about your money as much as you do.

It's really amazing how much better you can do with 20 minutes of business reading per day.

Indeed, although I tend not to pay much attention to the news.  By the time we "normal people" get it, the pros already knew about it and acted on it.  I find it much easier to just make decisions based on charts.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="pianist"]

pianist

Indeed, although I tend not to pay much attention to the news.  By the time we "normal people" get it, the pros already knew about it and acted on it.  I find it much easier to just make decisions based on charts.

It depends, really. Sometimes you hear about things before they actually occur because of red tape - like mergers or upcoming exchange listings. But yes, the graphs are helpful as well, and the SEC filings are very useful for gauging long term health.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pianist

It depends, really. Sometimes you hear about things before they actually occur because of red tape - like mergers or upcoming exchange listings. But yes, the graphs are helpful as well, and the SEC filings are very useful for gauging long term health.mattbbpl

Agreed.  I suppose I'm lazy; I like to let other people do the research, then I just hop aboard and enjoy the ride.  :P  Like any investment strategy, it's not foolproof, but it's served me well through the years.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
In today's economy, my money goes towards gold and silver.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Atm, the few investments I have are long-term, but I want to get into day trading when I have more income and I'm older.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
What brokerage site do you guys use?
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts
What brokerage site do you guys use?lo_Pine
Schwab.
Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
Long term, I do not have the time to trade daily.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] It's really amazing how much better you can do with 20 minutes of business reading per day.mattbbpl

It depends, really. Sometimes you hear about things before they actually occur because of red tape - like mergers or upcoming exchange listings. But yes, the graphs are helpful as well, and the SEC filings are very useful for gauging long term health.

No. Just no. 

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="pianist"]

SpartanMSU

No. Just no. 

How insightful.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] It depends, really. Sometimes you hear about things before they actually occur because of red tape - like mergers or upcoming exchange listings. But yes, the graphs are helpful as well, and the SEC filings are very useful for gauging long term health.chrisrooR

No. Just no. 

How insightful.

It's the best advice given in the entire thread. 

If you're going to invest in securities, invest in indices. Most of you are clearly clueless.