Do You Believe In Meteorites?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I was watching the history channel about meteoroids.

I never knew the dinosaurs were killed by a meteor is a fairly knew theory. There has been space rocks found but it seems like they always explode before reaching the surface. Even the supposed crater by mexico from the meteor that killed the dinosaurs is up to debate if it is big enough to cause the extinctions of dinosaurs.

I don't know how the history channel program ended but do you believe meteors can crash into earth and cause extinction?

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Are you asking whether or not we believe The Earth is tangible and contains molecules that exert electromagnetic force?
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

No I don't, I don't believe such things of matter fall out of the sky.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Do you believe in the sun?
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
Of course not. It's just the Devil playing tricks on us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
I guess the supports is heavily leaning towards "Yes meteors have hit earth and can happen randomly". There is evidence to support there hasn't been a true meteorite because the atmosphere always crushes it
Avatar image for AneurysmNirvana
AneurysmNirvana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AneurysmNirvana
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts
I bet you believe that the lunar landing was staged.
groovdafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 groovdafied
Member since 2005 • 5012 Posts
Meterorites are awesome! What if we get a meteor and a bunch of 80-90% alpha transparent aliens will start to consume all of our energy if we touch them. Then we'll have to develop energy based weapons and shielding to start a new community to survive what we believe is a war...meanwhile, a scientist is harvesting worthless plants in the danger zone. What a loser.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
I guess the supports is heavily leaning towards "Yes meteors have hit earth and can happen randomly". There is evidence to support there hasn't been a true meteorite because the atmosphere always crushes itplaymynutz
lolwut? Thank Jupiter for the very sparse amount of meteors that have hit earth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
[QUOTE="playmynutz"]I guess the supports is heavily leaning towards "Yes meteors have hit earth and can happen randomly". There is evidence to support there hasn't been a true meteorite because the atmosphere always crushes itchaoscougar1

they didn't talk about jupiter on the history channel but you right. the evidence that would support "No, meteors have not hit earth because the atmosphere won't let it" is we people never experienced a meteor hitting earth. now what happen in russia was a meteor exploded which supports the No argument.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Are you asking whether or not we believe The Earth is tangible and contains molecules that exert electromagnetic force?Tylendal

That might be it.

To answer the question: While it's still debateable whether or not the dinosaurs' extinction was caused by a meteorite (or meteorites), I'm pretty sure there's more than enough evidence of meteorites themselves to make the question rather comical. Like, "do you believe in gravity?"

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="playmynutz"]I guess the supports is heavily leaning towards "Yes meteors have hit earth and can happen randomly". There is evidence to support there hasn't been a true meteorite because the atmosphere always crushes itplaymynutz

they didn't talk about jupiter on the history channel but you right. the evidence that would support "No, meteors have not hit earth because the atmosphere won't let it" is we people never experienced a meteor hitting earth. now what happen in russia was a meteor exploded which supports the No argument.

Ummm... where are you getting this information? There have been over 30,000 solid meteorites to land, intact on the earth's surface (and that's just ones that have been found and examined). Hundreds (possibly thousands) of them are on display in dozens of museums across the world. Seriously, the word "meteorite" only exists to describe those that have landed on Earth. Until they get here, they're called "meteors".

Here's a particularly big one. The Willamette Meteorite, found in Oregon.

450px-Willamette_Meteorite_AMNH.jpg

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="playmynutz"]I guess the supports is heavily leaning towards "Yes meteors have hit earth and can happen randomly". There is evidence to support there hasn't been a true meteorite because the atmosphere always crushes itplaymynutz

It isn't our atmosphere that is stopping most of the debris (From the outer solar system) from hitting earth Its Jupiter
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
Ya.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
I know how you guys feel. At first i was like ha whatever meteors are what they taught me in school. Then it hit me. It is like if a tree falls and there is no one around does it make a sound. Tough call on that tree. Also tough call on meteorites. Humans have documented exploding meteors in the sky but never a meteorite that touched the ground. and the history channel says some people think craters are made from lava
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I know how you guys feel. At first i was like ha whatever meteors are what they taught me in school. Then it hit me. It is like if a tree falls and there is no one around does it make a sound. Tough call on that tree. Also tough call on meteorites. Humans have documented exploding meteors in the sky but never a meteorite that touched the ground. and the history channel says some people think craters are made from lavaplaymynutz
I think you need to get your facts straight.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Do you believe in the sun?Jebus213
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
some people think craters are made from lavaplaymynutz
Lava builds up..., not down...
WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

Meteors do and have hit Earth. There are several massive impact sites around the globe. As a geologist, probably the most interesting is something called the Bushveld Complex near Joberg (created by the Vredefort impact/crater) in South Africe which has a very high occurance of rare earth metals and diamonds. The impact crater is about 300km across.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

Of course not. It's just the Devil playing tricks on us. LZ71

damn, beat me to it.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_bi99man

I know how you guys feel. At first i was like ha whatever meteors are what they taught me in school. Then it hit me. It is like if a tree falls and there is no one around does it make a sound. Tough call on that tree. Also tough call on meteorites. Humans have documented exploding meteors in the sky but never a meteorite that touched the ground. and the history channel says some people think craters are made from lavaplaymynutz

Apparently you glanced right over my earlier post, which included a picture of giant, like fvcking 10 foot long meteorite that landed in Oregon. There have been literally tens of thousands of meteorites that have landed on the ground, and a sh!tload of them are on display in museums all over the world. I've personally seen, and held dozens of them. Where the hell are you getting this information, you mindless idiot? The history channel is not a reliable source of accurate information, and I highly doubt that even they are stupid enough to claim that there is "no documentation" of meteorites touching the ground, which is an event that has happend, and been exhaustively documented thousands of times, in the last 100 years alone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]I know how you guys feel. At first i was like ha whatever meteors are what they taught me in school. Then it hit me. It is like if a tree falls and there is no one around does it make a sound. Tough call on that tree. Also tough call on meteorites. Humans have documented exploding meteors in the sky but never a meteorite that touched the ground. and the history channel says some people think craters are made from lavathe_bi99man

Apparently you glanced right over my earlier post, which included a picture of giant, like fvcking 10 foot long meteorite that landed in Oregon. There have been literally tens of thousands of meteorites that have landed on the ground, and a sh!tload of them are on display in museums all over the world. I've personally seen, and held dozens of them. Where the hell are you getting this information, you mindless idiot?

My first post. meteors explode and leave chunks like that. "here has been space rocks found but it seems like they always explode before reaching the surface" You just ate your own words from playmynutz
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]I know how you guys feel. At first i was like ha whatever meteors are what they taught me in school. Then it hit me. It is like if a tree falls and there is no one around does it make a sound. Tough call on that tree. Also tough call on meteorites. Humans have documented exploding meteors in the sky but never a meteorite that touched the ground. and the history channel says some people think craters are made from lavaplaymynutz

Apparently you glanced right over my earlier post, which included a picture of giant, like fvcking 10 foot long meteorite that landed in Oregon. There have been literally tens of thousands of meteorites that have landed on the ground, and a sh!tload of them are on display in museums all over the world. I've personally seen, and held dozens of them. Where the hell are you getting this information, you mindless idiot?

My first post. meteors explode and leave chunks like that. "here has been space rocks found but it seems like they always explode before reaching the surface" You just ate your own words from playmynutz

dude, your approaching hartsick level of stupid now.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]I know how you guys feel. At first i was like ha whatever meteors are what they taught me in school. Then it hit me. It is like if a tree falls and there is no one around does it make a sound. Tough call on that tree. Also tough call on meteorites. Humans have documented exploding meteors in the sky but never a meteorite that touched the ground. and the history channel says some people think craters are made from lavaplaymynutz

So.... you're claiming meteorites don't exist... because only "chunks" of them have been found? I don't believe I have eaten my own words, you're just failing miserably at conveying a point. And for the record, yes, meteors do often come into the atmosphere, and completely dissolve, leaving only dust (if that), but that's a whole different thing. You're asking, "do you believe in meteorites?" The word "meteorite" literally means a meteor that has fallen through the atmosphere, and left a solid piece on the ground. The word exists because the thing exists. If they don't break through and leave a solid piece, they're just meteors.

chunkowookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chunkowookie
Member since 2012 • 270 Posts

You may want to learn what a meteorite is, before making threads like this. Here's a great place to start.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

It's just big rocks in the sky really. How is it hard to believe they exist? The sun sounds more ludicrous when you think of it. A hellishly hot ball of fire that's far bigger than the entire planet, resides millions of miles away and sustains all life in the solar system. If it were not for the fact that it's hard to miss in the sky, I don't think people would believe that on the fly.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_bi99man

It's just big rocks in the sky really. How is it hard to believe they exist? The sun sounds more ludicrous when you think of it. A hellishly hot ball of fire that's far bigger than the entire planet, resides millions of miles away and sustains all life in the solar system. If it were not for the fact that it's hard to miss in the sky, I don't think people would believe that on the fly.

sune_Gem

Good points, buuuut... The real point is that the whole question is just stupid as hell. The existence of meteorites isn't even something that up for debate, or a matter of belief. It's scientific fact. They've been exhaustively documented for hundreds of years, thousands of actual recovered meteorites are on display in museums, and held by random people who have found and collected them. Also, the actual occurrence of the meteorites falling, and impacting has been witnessed hundreds of times, if not more. People have literally watched them fall, watched them hit the ground nearby, then walked over and picked them up (after letting them cool off, of course).

This one was witnessed as it fell into some dude's car in Benld, Illinois, in 1938. Left a big hole in his seat.

Benldmeteorite.jpg

This one was a witnessed fall in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on October 5, 1971, at 5:00 PM.

800PX-1.jpg

There's no debate, and it's not a matter of "believing in meteorites" or not.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

Seriously?

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

the_bi99man

Good points, buuuut... The real point is that the whole question is just stupid as hell. The existence of meteorites isn't even something that up for debate, or a matter of belief. It's scientific fact. They've been exhaustively documented for hundreds of years, thousands of actual recovered meteorites are on display in museums, and held by random ass people who have found and collected them. Also, the actual occurrence of the meteorites falling, and impacting has been witnessed hundreds of times, if not more. People have literally watched them fall, watched them hit the ground nearby, then walked over and picked them up (after letting them cool off, of course).

you totally stole my sig idea... oh well back to the drawing board.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

the_bi99man

Good points, buuuut... The real point is that the whole question is just stupid as hell. The existence of meteorites isn't even something that up for debate, or a matter of belief. It's scientific fact. They've been exhaustively documented for hundreds of years, thousands of actual recovered meteorites are on display in museums, and held by random ass people who have found and collected them. Also, the actual occurrence of the meteorites falling, and impacting has been witnessed hundreds of times, if not more. People have literally watched them fall, watched them hit the ground nearby, then walked over and picked them up (after letting them cool off, of course).

I was unaware there was theories claiming they didn't exist. I thought it was blatantly obvious they were real, as much so as mars and other planets are. There can't possibly be sources disclaiming the existence of the other planets in the solar system, could there?

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#32 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Meteorites of Unusual Size? I don't believe they exist.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_bi99man

I was unaware there was theories claiming they didn't exist. I thought it was blatantly obvious they were real, as much so as mars and other planets are. There can't possibly be sources disclaiming the existence of the other planets in the solar system, could there?

sune_Gem

I didn't know that there was, either, until reading the OP.

you totally stole my sig idea... oh well back to the drawing board.

frannkzappa

Hahaha. It was way too perfect.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Also, the actual occurrence of the meteorites falling, and impacting has been witnessed hundreds of times, if not more. People have literally watched them fall, watched them hit the ground nearby, then walked over and picked them up (after letting them cool off, of course).

the_bi99man

Meteorites are actually quite cool to the touch, room temperature at the hottest, even just after landing. Think about it: they're in the deep freeze of space forever, and spend just a few seconds burning through our atmosphere.

That 'fire' you see when a meteor streaks through the sky isn't the meteor burning, it's the super-compressed air glowing as the meteor passes through it at super-sonic speeds.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]Also, the actual occurrence of the meteorites falling, and impacting has been witnessed hundreds of times, if not more. People have literally watched them fall, watched them hit the ground nearby, then walked over and picked them up (after letting them cool off, of course).

br0kenrabbit

Meteorites are actually quite cool to the touch, room temperature are the hottest, even just after landing. Think about it: they're in the deep freeze of space forever, and spend just a few seconds burning through out atmosphere.

That 'fire' you see when a meteor streaks through the sky isn't the meteor burning, it's the super-compressed air glowing as the meteor passes through it at super-sonic speeds.

That does make sense. Either way. Point remains. It totally happens. Whether TC "believes" it or not.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

faith in humanity -1000

Avatar image for DarkBloodPrince
DarkBloodPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 DarkBloodPrince
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts

a little off-topic but it was Sephiroth who kill the Dinosaurs when he use meteor but Aerith use Holy and the earth was saved but a lot of lifes were lost in the process T-T

but if you don't belive that meteorites exist then maybe you have to go for a check up but the only thing i wonder is where do meteorites orginate from were planets at one time or something else?

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

So you don't believe that there are meteors in space that can make it to the surface of the earth huh?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I'm guessing the TC slept through earth science class in middle school

DeathReaperQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DeathReaperQ
Member since 2012 • 45 Posts

I hope to god this guy is trolling -_-

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sune_Gem

I'm guessing the TC slept through earth science class in middle school

wis3boi

Your signature is awesome.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I guess the supports is heavily leaning towards "Yes meteors have hit earth and can happen randomly". There is evidence to support there hasn't been a true meteorite because the atmosphere always crushes itplaymynutz

If nothing can enter the earths atmosphere how come we can send rockets into space and have them return to earth without the atmosphere crushing it?

Did you go to school or were you raised by wolves?

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvrZIwVwIJVsmCe7x4W_S

wut ded eye jus reed

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Goddamn. Threads like this make me weep for the future of humanity.

Princess_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Princess_Lime
Member since 2010 • 429 Posts

[QUOTE="playmynutz"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

So.... you're claiming meteorites don't exist... because only "chunks" of them have been found? I don't believe I have eaten my own words, you're just failing miserably at conveying a point. And for the record, yes, meteors do often come into the atmosphere, and completely dissolve, leaving only dust (if that), but that's a whole different thing. You're asking, "do you believe in meteorites?" The word "meteorite" literally means a meteor that has fallen through the atmosphere, and left a solid piece on the ground. The word exists because the thing exists. If they don't break through and leave a solid piece, they're just meteors.

" The word exists because the thing exists" False... The word nothing exist while nothing does not...
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="playmynutz"] My first post. meteors explode and leave chunks like that. "here has been space rocks found but it seems like they always explode before reaching the surface" You just ate your own words from playmynutzPrincess_Lime

" The word exists because the thing exists" False... The word nothing exist while nothing does not...

yes it does, 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the universe is empty space.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 br0kenrabbit

yes it does, 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the universe is empty space.

frannkzappa

There's no such thing as empty space. Even in seemingly empty space, particles and anti-particles are all the time popping into existence and annhilating each other.

Qauntum fluctuations and such, not to even mention spacetime foam.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

br0kenrabbit

There's no such thing as empty space. Even in seemingly empty space, particles and anti-particles are all the time popping into existence and annhilating each other.

your thinking of the small bubble we call the known universe. beyond that there is in fact "nothing". science doesn't talk about this "nothing" the known universe is surrounded by, because it isn't relevant in any physics or science discussions because for the most part it doesn't affect our universe(meaning all known mass and energy)

space is infinite, matter and energy is not.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

your thinking of the small bubble we call the known universe. beyond that there is in fact "nothing". science doesn't talk about this "nothing" all matter is surrounded by because it isn't relevant in any physics our science discussions because for the most part it doesn't affect our universe(meaning all known mass and energy)

space is infinite, matter and energy is not.

Space is finite, otherwise it could not be expanding.

And I don't think you understand the physics at all behind it. When we say there is 'nothing' for the universe to expand into, we quite literally mean there is nothing there. It's not even empty space, it just does not exist. There's nothing to measure, nothing to even allude to.

Space is created as the universe expands, but there is nothing that it is expanding into, not even 'nothing'. The Universe creates its own space as it expands.

I could pull out the math, but I don't think it would help because there's only like one other person I know of on these forums who could follow.