Do you Believe in evolution or creationism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts
[QUOTE="ElZilcho90"]

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="ColdRush88"]Evolution for me. For a God to have created humans in a day then there would have to be no dinosaurs. I think.MattUD1

To be fair the Earth is 4.someodd billion years old. In the concept of "God" it's pretty much the first rule of "God" that "God" is outside of our current knowledge of time.

Are the quotation marks really necessary? I mean, when I'm talking about other deities, I don't say "Vishnu" or "Thor".

Perhaps, perhaps not... I do apologize if any offense was taken, but I don't believe in God.

Eh, I'm feeling nit-picky today. Blame it on the Monster I drank earlier. :P

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="ColdRush88"]Evolution for me. For a God to have created humans in a day then there would have to be no dinosaurs. I think.ColdRush88

To be fair the Earth is 4.someodd billion years old. In the concept of "God" it's pretty much the first rule of "God" that "God" is outside of our current knowledge of time.

I'm confused. lol. I've just always argued that if God created the world and humans, then humans came before dinosaurs. Which we know isn't true.

Confusing myself... :?

That's the literal interpretation of the first Creation story. That's what most fundamentalist Creationists (those of the Christian faith) believe.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Ah... it's been a while since we've had a good fact vs. fiction thread in OT.

I don't believe in evolution, I realize evolution is a fact of life here on Earth.

I can't wait for the creationists to come out of the woodwork spouting the same old and very wrong arguments which they think "refute" evolution and just deny all the actual evidence there is supporting it. Should be some good fun.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]the big bang and evolution do have something to do with each other if the big bang supposedly happened then the theory of evolution would have neveer come upDracargen

Duh, evolution was thought up before the Big Bang. . .

Though the whole notion that the world, and by extension the universe, is older than the bible teaches predates evolution.
certifieddata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 certifieddata
Member since 2007 • 46096 Posts
Evolution all the way.
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Dracargen
Member since 2007 • 7928 Posts
[QUOTE="Dracargen"]

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]the big bang and evolution do have something to do with each other if the big bang supposedly happened then the theory of evolution would have neveer come upThePlothole

Though the whole notion that the world, and by extension the universe, is older than the bible teaches predates evolution.

I haven't read the whole Bible, so if you could kindly point out the verse that describes the age of the Earth. . .

agilefalcon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 agilefalcon16
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts
Heh, it looks like Evolution is winning.... by ALOT!
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Dracargen

More than anything, I'm curious what the "Other" voters believe. Deism?Bio_Spark

I've heard of atheists who don't believe in evolution. Though, that would fall under the "neither" category. . .

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Insane00
Member since 2003 • 1267 Posts

I don't think belief is really the right way to describe it.

I see with my own two little eyes that evolution has a great deal of evidence in support of it. I have yet to hear a theory about the development of life on this planet that takes into account all the facts and provides as much evidence and proof through experimentation that evolution does.

Creationism has absolutely no proof behind it save the interpretation of a specific group of biblical literalist of a document that is over two thousand years old and makes no attempt to scientifically understand the workings of our planet.

Thus, I agree with the evidence behind evolution much more than I agree with the absence of evidence for creationism.

Belief should not have a place in science, just fact. For that reason I selected other.

Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts

As usual, I won't post in the Religion thread, but like most, this will likely be a huge one, so I'm asserting my presence here now. I will be wathcing this thread...so make it enlightening.

PS: The post directly below this one will be 1)Smitten by God by way of having to watch Ben Stein's crappy documentary on creationism if poster believes in evolution, or 2) exposed to radiation, and will evolve themselves a tail, making them a pariah for life if poster believes in creationism.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Dracargen
Well, since I believe in both, I guess that makes me exempt from punishment.:D
Avatar image for Solid_Snake1221
Solid_Snake1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Solid_Snake1221
Member since 2004 • 8658 Posts
Evolution.
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Insane00
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Dracargen"]

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]the big bang and evolution do have something to do with each other if the big bang supposedly happened then the theory of evolution would have neveer come upDracargen

I haven't read the whole Bible, so if you could kindly point out the verse that describes the age of the Earth. . .

A number of individuals have used the ages of the characters in the bible in order to calculate a date for the earth. So you get 7 days before adam and then caculate the age of all his descendents, subtracting the age which they had their firstborn (and subsequently age given) child. Most biblical literalists place the age of the earth around 10,000 years.

gun65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 gun65
Member since 2004 • 3312 Posts
Creationism
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Dracargen
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Dracargen"]

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]the big bang and evolution do have something to do with each other if the big bang supposedly happened then the theory of evolution would have neveer come upInsane00

A number of individuals have used the ages of the characters in the bible in order to calculate a date for the earth. So you get 7 days before adam and then caculate the age of all his descendents, subtracting the age which they had their firstborn (and subsequently age given) child. Most biblical literalists place the age of the earth around 10,000 years.

The issues here are

1. We don't even know if those people actually lived that long, as they could have been given those high ages to represent the level of respect they commanded,

2. These dating methods rely on the reading of a text, and

3. These readings have long-since been shown to be flawed, as the word "begot" doesn't always mean "X was the son of Y;" sometimes it means "X was the great-grandson of Y," so the guessed date can be off by thousands of years.

ColdRush88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ColdRush88
Member since 2008 • 1192 Posts
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Dracargen"]

[QUOTE="ishoturface"]the big bang and evolution do have something to do with each other if the big bang supposedly happened then the theory of evolution would have neveer come upInsane00

A number of individuals have used the ages of the characters in the bible in order to calculate a date for the earth. So you get 7 days before adam and then calculate the age of all his descendants, subtracting the age which they had their firstborn (and subsequently age given) child. Most biblical literalists place the age of the earth around 10,000 years.

I'll never understand how people can believe the earth is only 10,000 years old. When there is so much evidence for it being billions of years old.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Evolution

We can see natrual selection happening right now.... so yeah.

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#69 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
Can I believe in both?
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Dracargen

Can I believe in both?Devouring_One

You can, but then you'll be hated by people on both sides of the fence.:|

Felix77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Felix77
Member since 2004 • 1713 Posts

As usual, I won't post in the Religion thread, but like most, this will likely be a huge one, so I'm asserting my presence here now. I will be wathcing this thread...so make it enlightening.

PS: The post directly below this one will be 1)Smitten by God by way of having to watch Ben Stein's crappy documentary on creationism if poster believes in evolution, or 2) exposed to radiation, and will evolve themselves a tail, making them a pariah for life if poster believes in creationism.

Fortier

lol good comment. btw i like you sig, Circa Survive is awesome!

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Insane00
[QUOTE="Insane00"][QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Dracargen"]

The issues here are

1. We don't even know if those people actually lived that long, as they could have been given those high ages to represent the level of respect they commanded,

2. These dating methods rely on the reading of a text, and

3. These readings have long-since been shown to be flawed, as the word "begot" doesn't always mean "X was the son of Y;" sometimes it means "X was the great-grandson of Y," so the guessed date can be off by thousands of years.

Indeed, this is the problem with taking any cultural document as complete and total fact without any license by the author. However there are a great number of individuals in the world that believe that every single word in the bible is literally exactly what they see it as and cannot be interpretted or checked for original meaning. In fact there are people that go so far as to teach that dinos and humans lived together (and tell me where the description of the giant lizard is in the bible, oh wait there isn't one). So my point is that while you are certainly aware enough to see the problems in dating the earth through biblical text, a great number of people don't.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts

Can I believe in both?Devouring_One

One can believe in God and evolution, but creationism and evolution is a different matter.

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Insane00

I'll never understand how people can believe the earth is only 10,000 years old. When there is so much evidence for it being billions of years old.

ColdRush88

Indeed. I have always felt that people under the impression that the earth is so young either ignore all scientific evidence or they believe that God is the biggest practical joker/mad scientist ever for creating a planet with the physical evidence of being 4.6 billion years old while in actuality it is only 10,000.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Dracargen

Indeed, this is the problem with taking any cultural document as complete and total fact without any license by the author. However there are a great number of individuals in the world that believe that every single word in the bible is literally exactly what they see it as and cannot be interpretted or checked for original meaning. In fact there are people that go so far as to teach that dinos and humans lived together (and tell me where the description of the giant lizard is in the bible, oh wait there isn't one). So my point is that while you are certainly aware enough to see the problems in dating the earth through biblical text, a great number of people don't.

Insane00

Actually, there are a few verses that mention "great leviathans" and monsters, which are generally thought to be dinosaurs by YECs.

What really irks me about "literal" interpretations is that there is not a single living person who takes the entire Bible literally, yet they (those who think they do) accuse Christians who don't as not being True Christians.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Dracargen

[QUOTE="Devouring_One"]Can I believe in both?Rhazakna

One can believe in God and evolution, but creationism and evolution is a different matter.

How's that?:|

Half-Life_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#78 Half-Life_man
Member since 2006 • 6302 Posts
I believe in creationism. Billions of years of things randomly mutating into higher life forms just seems silly and the Big Bang just seems pretty silly, too.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

[QUOTE="Devouring_One"]Can I believe in both?Dracargen

Creationism is the idea that humans were created directly by god. You can say god used evolution, but that isn't creationism, at least not in it's most often used sense.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MattUD1

But I don't hate you... :(
Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Mr_sprinkles
Member since 2005 • 6461 Posts
I believe in creationism. Billions of years of things randomly mutating into higher life forms just seems silly and the Big Bang just seems pretty silly, too. Half-Life_man
Evolution isn't a random process. Natural selection doesn't imply chance.
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 fanofazrienoch
Member since 2008 • 1573 Posts
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

usually when discussing creationism vs. evolution, we discuss the apparent conflict in these 2 theories when it comes to biology. usually a believer in God and evolution would be called an "evolutionist" because he or she accepts that God exists and accepts that all life has phylogenetic relationships with eachother
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 fanofazrienoch
I believe in creationism. Billions of years of things randomly mutating into higher life forms just seems silly and the Big Bang just seems pretty silly, too. Half-Life_man
natural selection is the opposite of random
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
They definitely don't make sense if you don't fully understand the theories.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#85 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Your misconceptions show why you think it is "silly." There is nothing "random" about evolution or science.

Here is a simple video explaining the scientific explanation of the fact that is evolution.
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Dracargen
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

Creationism is the idea that humans were created directly by god. You can say god used evolution, but that isn't creationism, at least not in it's most often used sense.

Created by God = creationism. The method God used doesn't matter.

Created by aliens = creationism, too.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Dracargen
[QUOTE="Dracargen"]

[QUOTE="Devouring_One"]Can I believe in both?MattUD1

But I don't hate you... :(

I didn't say everyone.:D

FatMan1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 FatMan1945
Member since 2008 • 187 Posts
[QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

I'm glad this poll is going the way it is, at least.

Junkie_man

4 votes for creationism is 4 too many people who didn't pay enough attention in biology.

You two give atheists a bad name. Seriously, if you do not believe in a Deity, that is fine, but do not act like you are smarter than everyone else and act as though people who believe in a religion are idiots. Biology/Science/Chemistry is my favorite subject, and I know a LOT about evolution and the Big Bang theory. Yet I still Believe in Creationism. Does that make me an idiot?

To me, there is a lot of proof for Creationism, but not the conventional evidence that you can take a picture of. I also believe in Evolution because there is evidence for that also. Creationism is ridiculous without Evolution, and Evolution is ridiculous without Creationism. They work together PERFECTLY, yet Atheists and Believers are too stubborn to see.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

Most people who think it was aliens consider themselves believers in "intelligent design", not creationism. Nonetheless, both scenarios leave evolution out of the picture.

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
[QUOTE="Junkie_man"][QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

FatMan1945

4 votes for creationism is 4 too many people who didn't pay enough attention in biology.

You two give atheists a bad name. Seriously, if you do not believe in a Deity, that is fine, but do not act like you are smarter than everyone else and act as though people who believe in a religion are idiots. Biology/Science/Chemistry is my favorite subject, and I know a LOT about evolution and the Big Bang theory. Yet I still Believe in Creationism. Does that make me an idiot?

To me, there is a lot of proof for Creationism, but not the conventional evidence that you can take a picture of. I also believe in Evolution because there is evidence for that also. Creationism is ridiculous without Evolution, and Evolution is ridiculous without Creationism. They work together PERFECTLY, yet Atheists and Believers are too stubborn to see.

They don't speak for all atheists, so how can they give atheists a bad name? Do you even know if they're atheists or not? :?
And secondly, evolution works perfectly without creationism.. what gives you that impression? I'd really like to know.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#91 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Dracargen

The dictionary defines "creationism" as "the doctrine that matter and all things were created, substantially as they now exist, by an omnipotent Creator, and not gradually evolved or developed". Generally speaking, creationism refers to the specific belief that everything existing today was put there by God, rather than by species evolving into other species.

You can argue about whether this should be the case, but arguing over dictionary definitions has led in 100% of cases to no productive result. :P

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Dracargen

Most people who think it was aliens consider themselves believers in "intelligent design", not creationism. Nonetheless, both scenarios leave evolution out of the picture.

Rhazakna

Ahh, but what's the difference between Intelligent Design and creationism?:D

I actually consider myself an ID theorist, simply because the title fits better than "Theistic evolutionist."

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 MattUD1
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

Unless you take a less fundamentalist stance than "God/Aliens creating everything as is, no questions asked."
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 fanofazrienoch
[QUOTE="Junkie_man"][QUOTE="Bio_Spark"]

FatMan1945

produce this evidence plz
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

Dracargen

I actually consider myself an ID theorist, simply because the title fits better than "Theistic evolutionist."

In ID thought, the designer is amorphous. Possibly deistic, or aliens or something else. Creationist generally believe a theistic religious god created everything how it is now.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I believe in both. Yes, it actually makes sense.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MattUD1
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

Dracargen

I actually consider myself and ID theorist, simply because the title fits better than "Theistic evolutionist."

The only problem is that ID (at least according to what I have read) makes no mention of a Divine Creator, aka God. I'll see if I can still find the article.

Here we go.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Dracargen
[QUOTE="Dracargen"]

GabuEx

The dictionary defines "creationism" as "the doctrine that matter and all things were created, substantially as they now exist, by an omnipotent Creator, and not gradually evolved or developed". Generally speaking, creationism refers to the specific belief that everything existing today was put there by God, rather than by species evolving into other species.

You can argue about whether this should be the case, but arguing over dictionary definitions has led in 100% of cases to no productive result. :P

I don't believe in using the dictionary to define a philosophical belief.

Wikipedia says it well enough:

"Creationism is a religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe were created in their original form by a deity (often the AbrahamicGod of Judaism, Christianity and Islam) or deities, whose existence is presupposed.[1] In relation to the creation-evolution controversy the term creationism (or strict creationism) is commonly used to refer to religiously-motivated rejection of evolution.

Such beliefs include young Earth creationism, which takes Book of Genesisliterally, while Old Earth creationism accepts geological findings but rejects evolution. The term theistic evolution has been coined to refer to beliefs in creation which are more compatible with the scientific view of evolution and the age of the Earth."

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#99 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

produce this evidence plzfanofazrienoch

Why does anything exist?

My inability to reasonably answer that question without coming back to the idea that something must have created it was basically what led to my belief in some form of universal creator. The option that the universe is just an eternal repeating oscillation (singularity - big bang - expansion - expansion slows down - contraction - back to singularity) was dealt a pretty severe blow when scientists found that the expansion of the universe was not slowing down, but instead was speeding up.

Of course, then one could ask the question of "where did the creator come from?", which is a fair question, but a completely different question irrelevant to this one.

wiiwiiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 wiiwiiboy
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts
y is that????